• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

New GTS Distribution Method: Players now able to create events, Pokémon

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to say, this whole thing is rather hilarious IMO. Usuer-made events sound great ^^ Good call on not copying events. There're enough places where one can find those for sendPKM if you really want to, not to mention, that'd kill the value of them. (I've tried out sendPKM with diff things since seeing this news article - surprised it works, but they're staying on my Diamond card so I don't accidentally give them away. They are still illegitimate, as the event's have passed.)

Cool idea though. As long as this doesn't mimic any Nintendo events, and doesn't go against in-game limits (all perfect IVs, shiny, Cherish Ball, moves it can't learn), I rather think it'd be kinda fun to do something like this semi-annually.

So...have loophole will exploit?

The short version is, I modified sendpkm (the script mentioned on page 1) so that multiple people could connect at once. The rest of the credit really goes to ProjectPokemon, since they're the ones who figured out the GTS protocol and wrote sendpkm in the first place. :)
That is what I though was the method that was being used after reading through most of this. I wonder how many people you can have actually connecting all at once.

Not unless we ran it by TPC's legal department and they gave us in writing a statement that they wouldn't go after us for it.

On the other hand, if we could get such a thing from them, we could probably arrange a legitimate event, so....unlikely.
Yes, that would be a big problem but it could happen. It just seems like too much work for such a little thing. If you just wanted a Bulbasaur though, the best thing to do would just be to trade someone.

Wait so I can start my own event. How do you make the password thow?

Not unless we ran it by TPC's legal department and they gave us in writing a statement that they wouldn't go after us for it.

How is this distribution method even slightly illegal? It's not like you're hacking the GTS server or something.

Using their software in a way they haven't sanctioned, while possibly advertising the site, I guess.

Crippling court costs don't care if you're in the right or not.

The losing side in a lawsuit typically has to pay the legal costs of the winner. Especially if the court declares the lawsuit frivolous (as they likely would in this case). Besides, you aren't even modifying any copyrighted materials in any way, so it doesn't matter.

This is so.... tempting!
Might as well make myself a flawless ditto for breeding teams.

I don't want to hack my entire team, lol.

The losing side in a lawsuit typically has to pay the legal costs of the winner. Especially if the court declares the lawsuit frivolous (as they likely would in this case). Besides, you aren't even modifying any copyrighted materials in any way, so it doesn't matter.

We love nintendo here, no need to hassle them with a lawsuit.

so I have another question (the others were sent through the site and ended up in the FAQ. yay :D):

since these pokemon are made in pokesav, they arn't legit. hacked, you could say. got that understood.

but if they were on my cartridge, is that what stops me from being able to do tournaments or official stuff? or does it just depend on the pokemon im using in my party?

so I have another question (the others were sent through the site and ended up in the FAQ. yay :D):

since these pokemon are made in pokesav, they arn't legit. hacked, you could say. got that understood.

but if they were on my cartridge, is that what stops me from being able to do tournaments or official stuff? or does it just depend on the pokemon im using in my party?

I think it would depend how thorough the check on your cartridge actually is... I think there are various degrees. In some cases, I'm sure they just check your party. However, I've heard that sometimes a check can involve seeing if you have more of certain types of items/etc. than you should technically be able to have (certain TMs... maybe Sacred Ash, etc.). Let's face it, letting someone go into a tournament battle with hundreds of Sacred Ash items wouldn't be fair, lol.

That said, Pokesav users generally draw a distinction between "legit" and "legal". These fans events might be legal, within the confines of the game, but they're not legit. Even their legality might be brought into question by the fact they have the Fateful Encounter flags activated. I'm pretty sure the cartridge hack-checking devices probably have a complete list of all Pokemon that legitimately are fateful encounters.

LOL.
I just gave myself a shiny Ditto with all 31 IVs. I don't think I want to use it for anything else.
Messed up on the OT though, it says ?.

:sweat: my brain hurts. I want to know if I can do this on my DSi without a computer.

I think it would depend how thorough the check on your cartridge actually is... I think there are various degrees. In some cases, I'm sure they just check your party. However, I've heard that sometimes a check can involve seeing if you have more of certain types of items/etc. than you should technically be able to have (certain TMs... maybe Sacred Ash, etc.). Let's face it, letting someone go into a tournament battle with hundreds of Sacred Ash items wouldn't be fair, lol.

That said, Pokesav users generally draw a distinction between "legit" and "legal". These fans events might be legal, within the confines of the game, but they're not legit. Even their legality might be brought into question by the fact they have the Fateful Encounter flags activated. I'm pretty sure the cartridge hack-checking devices probably have a complete list of all Pokemon that legitimately are fateful encounters.
Ah, this is a good point - technically the Fateful Encounter flag shouldn't be set for these Pokémon if they are supposed to match what you could have caught in the wild. My original intent was to make the Pokémon "legal, but identifiable as PFEC"... but I've been relying on Legal.exe to make that distinction for me, and Legal.exe doesn't care about the Fateful Encounter flag.

As far as how deeply they check in organized play, though? The official League rules codify the banning of hacked cartridges in their official rules by stating that "the use of external devices to alter the Pokémon in a player’s party is expressly forbidden." This seems to say that what they're worried about is the contents of your team itself - their held items, their moves and IVs and so forth - and so as long as you don't use the Pokémon in an official tournament (i.e. as long as they stay safely nestled in Bill's PC) you shouldn't get disqualified for it. (Of course, there is no way for me to be 100% undeniably sure of this, so take it with a grain of salt.)
:sweat: my brain hurts. I want to know if I can do this on my DSi without a computer.
You can't host your own Pokémon without a computer, but you should be able to connect to someone else's hosted event just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom