• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Speculation New Move/Model Animation

Reaction score
I didn't really see a thread for this anywhere. However if there is one that exists, please feel free to merge this with that.

Anyways, with today's Mega Slowbro release video, we got to see the new animation for the move Fire Blast. And gee, did it look very good (akin to Origins). That being said, are there any moves you would like to be reanimated? Ever since we moved to 3D models, I thought animations would be definite. However as of today, my theory has been proven wrong. Which is pretty cool as we get new move animations, and possibly new Pokemon models too!

Maybe we'll get new grounded models for some Flying Pokemon like Xatu. If they don't look awkward flying, they look awkward flying or gliding in place.

I agree alternate grounded models would be great. Or if not that, then maybe just make it look like they're moving more. Have an insert idle animation where they flap their wings and move up a tiny bit just so they don't look like they're levitating in place all the time. They just really need to do something about the awkwardness of the flying models.

Also some flying models for the other flying pokemon that can canonly fly more than short distances that can't sky battle due to lack of flying models.

Fix Golbat's animation, make it what it was in the pre-XY 3D games. I'd like Sableye's animation changed too, to how it was in the same games, but when they showed the Mega Sableye trailer it looked the same, iirc. Oh well, at least it's not bad to the extent where I literally can't use it, which is the case with Golbat.

I can't think of any move animations I'd particularly like improved. I guess Return's animation is pretty boring...

The Multi-Hit moves are rather underwhelming in X and Y. The Pokemon don't even move, they just hop for each hit. I liked how in PBR, a Monferno actually uses an attack animation from a bunch of changing camera angles for Fury Swipes. It's also the case for other moves like Bullet Seed and Rock Blast. I'm not saying they need to do the camera angles (though it would be cool), but can they at least have a normal animation?

I'd like Roar Of Time's animation to look like it did in DP as it looks really pretty! And basically everything else that has been mentioned.
And if possible, despite the official artwork for Empoleon's colour to go back to being more blueish then black because its model doesn't seem to suit black.
Zeckrom could do with being a little more black xD

I'd like Roar Of Time's animation to look like it did in DP as it looks really pretty! And basically everything else that has been mentioned.
And if possible, despite the official artwork for Empoleon's colour to go back to being more blueish then black because its model doesn't seem to suit black.

Oh, if we got into all the color problems the models have, we'd never finish. LOL The vast majority of Pokémon looked bleached of color, like they were left out in the sun at the beach for too long. And others, while matching the color scheme of their prior game version, look... underwhelming. I personally thought Scizor would be shiny as it's a Steel-covered bug. It's dull. And it's a pale red instead of the shockingly deep blood color it has in prior games.

And let's not even talk about the Kalos Pokémon whose in-game models are also off-color from their anime and official artwork. Like Inkay and Fletchling for example. Both look bleached as well.

Some of the bleached colors look too much like shiny colors, Ledyba and Jigglypuff especially. The Ledyba look suspiciously more orange than normal and Jigglypuffs have gone back to Gen I light pink but with blue eyes. I have a heart attack every single time because I think I blocked out the sparkles and tinkling noise somehow.

I don't know if it's a style choice or just an oversight, but they really do need to consider fixing the colors before remodeling anything else.

• Staff

Oh, if we got into all the color problems the models have, we'd never finish. LOL The vast majority of Pokémon looked bleached of color, like they were left out in the sun at the beach for too long. And others, while matching the color scheme of their prior game version, look... underwhelming. I personally thought Scizor would be shiny as it's a Steel-covered bug. It's dull. And it's a pale red instead of the shockingly deep blood color it has in prior games.

And let's not even talk about the Kalos Pokémon whose in-game models are also off-color from their anime and official artwork. Like Inkay and Fletchling for example. Both look bleached as well.

Some of the bleached colors look too much like shiny colors, Ledyba and Jigglypuff especially. The Ledyba look suspiciously more orange than normal and Jigglypuffs have gone back to Gen I light pink but with blue eyes. I have a heart attack every single time because I think I blocked out the sparkles and tinkling noise somehow.

I don't know if it's a style choice or just an oversight, but they really do need to consider fixing the colors before remodeling anything else.

Same thing goes with Lucario. I guess in it's official artwork, it is a pale blue color. But I prefer the anime's darker coloring. It also could have a better idle animation.

Same thing goes with Lucario. I guess in it's official artwork, it is a pale blue color. But I prefer the anime's darker coloring. It also could have a better idle animation.

That's the thing. The anime's used that coloring since Lucario was introduced and so have the games. The games usually dictate how a Pokémon is colored in the anime (we all know there were... incidents in the earlier days...) but for some reason all these XY models are so... blecch. The ORAS trailers seem to show the overworld is much brighter and vivid than Kalos was, so maybe the models are more vivid as well. We don't know yet. :p

That's the thing. The anime's used that coloring since Lucario was introduced and so have the games. The games usually dictate how a Pokémon is colored in the anime (we all know there were... incidents in the earlier days...) but for some reason all these XY models are so... blecch. The ORAS trailers seem to show the overworld is much brighter and vivid than Kalos was, so maybe the models are more vivid as well. We don't know yet. :p

Oh yeah, you are right! Every sprite of Lucario was also dark blue. Okay, so XY is just the one that strayed off the beaten path. Yes I agree with you, hopefully ORAS will have better models and such.

Anyone ever felt like Ice Beam looks like a really weak attack? To me it always looks more like Ice String Shot. Where is that full thick beam of destruction!

I was thinking that as well. I truly hope that they fix those colors!

I was thinking that as well. I truly hope that they fix those colors!

I wonder why the colors were off, though... They were all perfect in the Pokédex app for 3DS and iOS. (Btw, we need the Kalos expansion soon! We'll probably get it at the start of Gen. 7 though... So we can get all the Mega's... :p)

Fix Golbat's animation, make it what it was in the pre-XY 3D games. I'd like Sableye's animation changed too, to how it was in the same games, but when they showed the Mega Sableye trailer it looked the same, iirc. Oh well, at least it's not bad to the extent where I literally can't use it, which is the case with Golbat.

I can't think of any move animations I'd particularly like improved. I guess Return's animation is pretty boring...

What is wrong with Golbats animation? Does the framerate drop?

What is wrong with Golbats animation? Does the framerate drop?
No it's just terrible and ugly

Golbat's wings are ok. Just its wings. I think they should try and go for the Pokemon Adventures look as it was the only time I liked its design.
Koga_as_he_appears_in_Adventures.jpg

Those pale colors of every other model gotta go. Bring back the vivid colors the Gen III sprites gave us all!

I've always wanted to see a different version of Frenzy Plant. Its animation never seemed as intense as Blast Burn or Hydro Cannon... I'd like to see something like... two huge, thorny vines tear straight out of the ground below the target, and surge upwards before fading. No silly "boink" noise when the user jumps up to set it off... just make it as merciless as its two other elemental versions! (The anime did an okay job with it, actually. I wouldn't mind if it looked like that.)

I'd also like to see Return go back to the way it was in Gen III... you know, how the animation changed depending on the user's friendship level? I always liked the older version than the always-the-same version of Return they've been using since Gen IV.

They REALLY need to fix Flying-types in general. While some of them look alright, there are some that have weird flapping animations, some that have no business in the air at all (lookin' at you, Xatu), and some that just glide... and look really awkward. Tropius and Swellow are two notorious offenders of the last one. Also, Talonflame's wings clip through its body. It's kind of distracting.

Last edited:
Anyone ever felt like Ice Beam looks like a really weak attack? To me it always looks more like Ice String Shot. Where is that full thick beam of destruction!

Giggity.

Cyndaquil family.

YES! This thing was my FAVOURITE gen 2 starter, and now it looks like something I'd catch in a field. It needs it's badassery back.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom