• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

New Names

I mean English name by "dub name". English name from GAMES.

When people say "dub", they usually are referring to the anime. If they were referring to the games, they would say "English name," but I digress.

Uh oh. It sucks. Maybe they'll change that on last minute.

However, does anyone know what is Fen (I mean Fen Badge). Before leaking dub names I romanized it as Feng Badge but it's officially Fen and I wonder what is that supposed to mean.

And I wonder what is Jun's dub name. (It's not Gavin, I made up that name for April Fools, and no one believed in it).
Yes, they'#ll change it at last minute just because you think it sucks. Good going

The world wouldn't end, but it would sure be a problem of some sort.

Hey, did you know that there are two different people in the games with the same name in different generations?

No...really...its true! The developers are lazy

Who says there can't be two Glacier Badges?

'Cuz it's a PARADOX. Evil rotten TIME PARADOX. Two Glacier badges cannot exist without the world imploding upon itself!

Hey, did you know that there are two different people in the games with the same name in different generations?

Like no one complained over Spencer either.

I wonder who do you mean.
Normal Trainers always have reused names between generations, they sometimes share name will some bigger character (like Firebreather Bill from GSC), but nobody cares about them.

AFAIK, Brock and Steven were both named Pierre in French.

There were also two Courtneys, but one of them is from spinoff game. Same with Lucy.

But who else had the same name in different generations? Think, Maxim, think.

Loch Ness Lapras said:
Dear Crasher Wake, how do you type with boxing gloves on?
XD

TTEchidna said:
And Roark sounds like how Coach Z would pronounce rock, anyway...
That's what my friend said when he first found out. Hilarity ensued.

As for the same name phenomenom -- Maylene and May? I'm surprised there hasn't been more griping about that, as opposed to a badge. Like someone else said, you put it in your badge case and never look at it again, big deal.

I wonder who do you mean.
Normal Trainers always have reused names between generations, they sometimes share name will some bigger character (like Firebreather Bill from GSC), but nobody cares about them.

AFAIK, Brock and Steven were both named Pierre in French.

There were also two Courtneys, but one of them is from spinoff game. Same with Lucy.

But who else had the same name in different generations? Think, Maxim, think.

Who's Firebreather Bill again?

As for the same name phenomenom -- Maylene and May? I'm surprised there hasn't been more griping about that, as opposed to a badge. Like someone else said, you put it in your badge case and never look at it again, big deal.

Maylene =/= May though. It doesn't cause the same kind of reactions having two Spencers, two Lucys, a Brandon and a Brendan (because no one cares to spell them right, and then EVERYone's confused), and that lot do cause reactions.

At the same time, we have two prominent Aarons, two prominent Flints, and one-and-a-half prominent Drakes. While it's not exactly the anime's fault, and you can't truly square it against NoA either, it's wholely more agravating than Maylene and May. Neither are at risk of being confused for one another.

Who says there can't be two Glacier Badges?
Because they're different gyms. So far the Japanese games have made sure each gym has had it's own badge and the American translation should do the same. Not to mention, do you really wanna listen to a bunch of kids posting threads on "Are Candice and Pryce related?" Because sure if it happens once people won't complain...but again, again, and again? Knowing how this fandom is, I'm sure it'll be yet another one of those things we'll never be able to fully fix. Especially since it's straight from the games and younger kids will have a harder time believeing the official sources can do any wrong.

It's more the fact no one gave much thought to why Koga gave you a badge related to the soul, while Sabrina gave you one dealing with marshes.

Maylene =/= May though. It doesn't cause the same kind of reactions having two Spencers, two Lucys, a Brandon and a Brendan (because no one cares to spell them right, and then EVERYone's confused), and that lot do cause reactions.
But for all the complaining that "NoA is so unoriginal" I've yet to see someone gripe about how a gym leader practically shares a name with a former player character. I don't remember another Spencer or Lucy, but this one seems more obvious.

I'm not complaining, though. >_>

Hero Habunake said:
It's more the fact no one gave much thought to why Koga gave you a badge related to the soul, while Sabrina gave you one dealing with marshes.
I read just recently that it was a mixup on the translators' part... something about how the gyms were out of order? I forget now.

Or Frostbadge. Hasn't been one of those.

But someone please show me where there is a book containing unlimited names. Between a long-running TV show and a long-running game series, they were sooner or later BOUND to repeat names somewhere.

Like I said, if the names are so awful to you, then don't buy the game. That simple. If you miss out it isn't my fault.

Please note: The thread is from 17 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom