• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

New Pokemon for Gym Leaders

Your point?

She's a steel Gym Leader?.. What other point do you need?

Don't give me that "Candice had a Medicham", either. All that was fixed in Platinum.

Jasmine = 6th Gym Leader
6th Gym Leader = 3 Pokemon

2 steels and one electric? REALLY?

Well, he is the lighthouse beacon, but it belongs to Jasmine and I'm sure that there'd be no reason to not have it for her to fight with.
Exactly, he is the lighthouse beacon. Realistically speaking, that would mean he should be in the lighthouse, you know, making sure boats know where the shore is at night. Pokemon isn't the most logical game, but if makes sense to not have him on her team. It's not like they would change her team at night so Amphy wouldn't be on it.

And yeah, gym leaders having pokemon of varying types is rather dumb and blah. It's rather obvious GameFreak wasn't too keen on it seeing how at least they fixed Candice, Volkner, and Flint's teams. Sure it doesn't make for as difficult of a battle, but it goes along with the theme.

I'd like it more if each Gym Leader had a SINGLE Pokemon that wasn't of their type, just to add some challenge besides stacking the deck with one type of move. For instance, looking back, I would not have minded very much if Brock also had a Machp, Misty also had a Clefairy, Lt. Surge also had a Poliwhirl, Erika also had a Vulpix, Sabrina had a Haunter, Koga had a Drowzee - etc. etc. you get the picture. It'd help save the game from "Poor Predictable Rock" syndrome: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/PoorPredictableRock

Here's what I think the teams for the Johto gym leaders should look like.

Falkner: Hoothoot (lvl 12), Murkrow (12), Natu (15)

Noctowl and Xatu would be good, but they don't evolve until levels 20 and 25, respectively; a bit too much for the first gym IMO. Rematch includes Noctowl, Honchkrow, Xatu, and Pidgeot.

Bugsy: Scyther (18), Spinarak (18), Ledian (20)

Again, Ariados would be a fine choice if it evolved before level 22. Rematch includes Ariados, Scizor, Ledian, and Pinsir.

Whitney: Clefairy (22), Aipom (22), Miltank (25)

Not much to change with Whitney. Rematch includes Ambipom, Clefable, Miltank, and Ursaring or Ditto.

Morty: Ghastly (26), Haunter (28), Misdreavus (28), Gengar (30)

Replace one of his Haunter with a Misdreavus, and he should be fine. Rematch includes Haunter, Mismagius, Gengar, and Dusclops or Frostlass.

Chuck: Machoke (35), Poliwrath (35), Primeape (37), Heracross (39)

Pretty much his old team with Heracross and Machoke tacked on. Rematch includes this team, but with Machamp over Machoke and much stronger moves all around and possibly Medicham or something like that.

Jasmine: Magneton (40), Steelix (40), Skarmory (42), Foretress (45)

I think this would be a pretty solid lineup for her (no pun intended). Rematch includes all of the above (with Magneton evolving into Magnezone) plus Empoleon or Aggron.

Pryce: Sneasel (48), Dewgong (48), Delibird (49), Piloswine (51)

For whomever said that Pryce needed someone with Thick Fat, Dewgong's got it. Delibird and Sneasel are additional touches, and Piloswine is of course his signature. Rematch ditches Delibird for Glalie or Frostlass, and also includes Weavile, Dewgong, Mamoswine, and Jynx or Lapras.

Clair: Dragonair (53), Altaria (53), Salamence (55), Kingdra (58)

Given the presence of only one Dragon-typed line in the 2nd gen, I can forgive (to some extent) the lack of creativity in Clair's original team. I think this lineup still holds true to her while differentiating herself enough from Lance. Rematch includes all of the above (with Dragonair evolving into Dragonite) and Flygon or Garchomp (if Lance doesn't get one).

The level's might look a little high, but I like that. It provides more of a challenge.

Here's what I think the teams for the Johto gym leaders should look like.

Falkner: Hoothoot (lvl 12), Murkrow (12), Natu (15)

Noctowl and Xatu would be good, but they don't evolve until levels 20 and 25, respectively; a bit too much for the first gym IMO. Rematch includes Noctowl, Honchkrow, Xatu, and Pidgeot.

Bugsy: Scyther (18), Spinarak (18), Ledian (20)

Again, Ariados would be a fine choice if it evolved before level 22. Rematch includes Ariados, Scizor, Ledian, and Pinsir.

Whitney: Clefairy (22), Aipom (22), Miltank (25)

Not much to change with Whitney. Rematch includes Ambipom, Clefable, Miltank, and Ursaring or Ditto.

Morty: Ghastly (26), Haunter (28), Misdreavus (28), Gengar (30)

Replace one of his Haunter with a Misdreavus, and he should be fine. Rematch includes Haunter, Mismagius, Gengar, and Dusclops or Froslass.

Chuck: Machoke (35), Poliwrath (35), Primeape (37), Heracross (39)

Pretty much his old team with Heracross and Machoke tacked on. Rematch includes this team, but with Machamp over Machoke and much stronger moves all around and possibly Medicham or something like that.

Jasmine: Magneton (40), Steelix (40), Skarmory (42), Foretress (45)

I think this would be a pretty solid lineup for her (no pun intended). Rematch includes all of the above (with Magneton evolving into Magnezone) plus Empoleon or Aggron.

Pryce: Sneasel (48), Dewgong (48), Delibird (49), Piloswine (51)

For whomever said that Pryce needed someone with Thick Fat, Dewgong's got it. Delibird and Sneasel are additional touches, and Piloswine is of course his signature. Rematch ditches Delibird for Glalie or Frostlass, and also includes Weavile, Dewgong, Mamoswine, and Jynx or Lapras.

Clair: Dragonair (53), Altaria (53), Salamence (55), Kingdra (58)

Given the presence of only one Dragon-typed line in the 2nd gen, I can forgive (to some extent) the lack of creativity in Clair's original team. I think this lineup still holds true to her while differentiating herself enough from Lance. Rematch includes all of the above (with Dragonair evolving into Dragonite) and Flygon or Garchomp (if Lance doesn't get one).

The level's might look a little high, but I like that. It provides more of a challenge.

Hoenn Pokémon on Clair is just not possible, and I'm glad it's not. I don't have anything against her original 3 Dragonair.
I agree that the levels should be slightly higher, but these are ridiculously high.
Xatu and Noctowl would be too overpowered for Falkner's team, whatever their levels are.
I really like your suggestions for Morty and Chuck.

I'd like it more if each Gym Leader had a SINGLE Pokemon that wasn't of their type, just to add some challenge besides stacking the deck with one type of move. For instance, looking back, I would not have minded very much if Brock also had a Machp, Misty also had a Clefairy, Lt. Surge also had a Poliwhirl, Erika also had a Vulpix, Sabrina had a Haunter, Koga had a Drowzee - etc. etc. you get the picture. It'd help save the game from "Poor Predictable Rock" syndrome: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/PoorPredictableRock
lol im guessing the SINGLE was because of volkner

Well, he is the lighthouse beacon, but it belongs to Jasmine and I'm sure that there'd be no reason to not have it for her to fight with.
just dont battle it at night or the boats will crash lol

But Jasmine already has Magnemite/ton, so I don't see the point for her having another Electric-type. Amphy doesn't fight. Jasmine doesn't use it for battles, but only takes care of it. Amphy should be at the lighthouse at anytime.

Lol at the above post.

This is what I'd like to see and not what I expect them to do:

Falkner
Natu L11, Pidgey L12, Hoothoot L12

He can keep Pidgey, but Hoothoot should be his signature.

Bugsy
Spinarak L14, Yanma L14, Scyther L16

Spinarak is miles better than the cocoons and gives some good variety. Johto is full of bugs, why not use them?!

Whitney
Clefairy L21, Snubbull L22, Miltank L23

In an eventual rematch, I'd like to see her using perhaps Ambipom, Blissey, Wigglytuff, Granbull, even Smeargle.

Morty
Haunter L25, Gengar L25, Misdreavus L28

Variety is hard here, but whatever. In rematches, he can use Spiritomb, Sableye, Banette....

Chuck
Poliwrath L30, Hitmontop L32, Heracross L33

He doesn't need Primeape, trainers in the Gym can have that. Levels should be abit more challenging. I couldn't decide between Heracross and Hitmontop, so I went for both.

Jasmine
Magneton L33, Scizor L33, Steelix L35

Scizor seems better than Skarmory, who seems better for Falkner.

Pryce
Delibird L35, Dewgong L35, Ursaring L36, Piloswine L37

I agree with Unown Lord about Ursaring. Delibird should be featured, as no trainer had one in GSC, and Dewgong seems an obvious choice.

Clair
Dratini L44, Dragonair L44, Dragonair L45, Kingdra L48

Clair had 3 Dragonairs in the originals, so Dratini is in there for variety. I'd like to see some other types like Feraligatr, but maybe those would be best left for rematches as it seems fitting for Clair to just use Pokemon you can find in the Dragon's Den.

Will
Xatu L49, Exeggutor L49, Jynx L50, Slowking L52, Girafarig L51

Slowking is a good signature, other than that his original team (minus Girafarig) is fine.

Koga
Crobat L51, Forretress L51, Venomoth L52, Muk L53, Weezing L53

Aside from Ariados, which Bugsy should have, his GSC team is fine.

Bruno
Quagsire L52, Gligar L52, Nidoking L53, Onix L52, Donphan L54

I'd like to see a Ground-type Trainer, but I don't want to get rid of Bruno. I don't see a problem with making him a Ground-type trainer, given he has two Onix in RBYFRLG. Onix is there for familiarity, everything else is obvious.

Karen
Umbreon L53, Murkrow L53, Houndoom L54, Vileplume L55, Tyranitar L56

Well, Karen is supposed to be the toughest of the E4, but I found her a pushover in GSC. I don't see the point of her having a Gengar, but I liked her Vileplume as it gave her some variety. I don't know why Tyranitar wasn't there in GSC, now she poses a bit of a threat.

Lance
Gyarados L53, Kingdra L57, Dragonite L55, Aerodactyl L57, Dragonite L58

Lance is hard to do a team for. Charizard seems better suited for Clair even if it is in the Dex Pre-E4, and I don't see why he shouldn't have Kingdra.

As I say, just my idea. Thoughts?

i forgot to mention something.

noctowl on falkner's team is very possible. they could easily do what they've done with wattson's magneton.

Hoenn Pokémon on Clair is just not possible, and I'm glad it's not. I don't have anything against her original 3 Dragonair.

Personally, I love the Dratini line, so don't think it's because I have anything against them. 3 of the same pokemon is a bit much, though. One of them at least could have been a Dratini. I just thought this would add a little more variety.

I agree that the levels should be slightly higher, but these are ridiculously high.

Well, Volkner had a level 50 Electivire in Platinum...but ok, so maybe Clair's are a bit high.

Xatu and Noctowl would be too overpowered for Falkner's team, whatever their levels are.

Which is why I thought he should use Natu and Hoothoot instead.

I really like your suggestions for Morty and Chuck.

I didn't do much with them...basically kept their teams intact and added to them. :-/

Ok, I like how everyone is higher leveled and, but nobody has discussed what the Kanto Gym leaders are going to be like if these are the Johto Gym leaders. I mean if that is the case with most gym leaders in Johto then Blue/Green is going to be as powerful as Red was in the last game. Seeing as he gives a wink and a nod to how easy the Johto gyms are. Also on the topic of the trainers being tougher in Kanto, I think most of the trainers in Kanto can have Pokemon of a higher level than the Elite Four, they just shouldn't have many Pokemon on their team so it is feasible that they couldn't beat the Elite Four. (Besides the Littleroot Pallet Town thing.)

noctowl on falkner's team is very possible. they could easily do what they've done with wattson's magneton.

or, like falkner's pidgeotto, which was crazy. A level 12 pidgeotto? really? Also, Falkner should have hoppip or jumpluff, TM's cause hopppip has no good attacks

Without going into specific team suggestions again, I think overall the Johto leaders could use a boost in levels.

Falkner should have a level 11-12 as his highest.
Pryce should be around level 45-ish. (he's FAR too weak in the original considering he's the 7th leader)
Clair's highest Pokémon should be her Kingdra at like 50 or something.

That's about on par with the other regions. The Elite 4 should start out at around level 51 and end up with Karen's highest Pokémon being about 58 or something. Lance's strongest Dragonite can be like level 60 or so (or slightly over that if need be).

The Kanto Leaders can be roughly on par with the Elite 4. They had similar levels in GSC to the Elite 4 (save Blue), so they can have their levels in the high 50s. Blue can be in the high 60s then.

Red, even with his old levels would then still be stronger. He wouldn't really need a level up that badly, but I wouldn't mind if he did (I'd love it if his levels were just slightly higher than Platinum's rival's final levels). If nothing else, his Pikachu should have a Light Ball as a hold item.

or, like falkner's pidgeotto, which was crazy. A level 12 pidgeotto? really? Also, Falkner should have hoppip or jumpluff, TM's cause hopppip has no good attacks
actually his pidgeotto was lvl 9 which is way worse

Without going into specific team suggestions again, I think overall the Johto leaders could use a boost in levels.

Falkner should have a level 11-12 as his highest.
Pryce should be around level 45-ish. (he's FAR too weak in the original considering he's the 7th leader)
Clair's highest Pokémon should be her Kingdra at like 50 or something.

That's about on par with the other regions. The Elite 4 should start out at around level 51 and end up with Karen's highest Pokémon being about 58 or something. Lance's strongest Dragonite can be like level 60 or so (or slightly over that if need be).

The Kanto Leaders can be roughly on par with the Elite 4. They had similar levels in GSC to the Elite 4 (save Blue), so they can have their levels in the high 50s. Blue can be in the high 60s then.

Red, even with his old levels would then still be stronger. He wouldn't really need a level up that badly, but I wouldn't mind if he did (I'd love it if his levels were just slightly higher than Platinum's rival's final levels). If nothing else, his Pikachu should have a Light Ball as a hold item.
But here is the thing. If most of the gym leaders in Kanto are on par with the Elite Four, then there will be little to no progression of difficulty and Kanto will be considered yet again an easy add on region instead of an extra challenge. So as you go through the game I would think that the gym leaders would in fact get progressively stronger in Kanto as well,not as fast mind you, but still stronger.

But here is the thing. If most of the gym leaders in Kanto are on par with the Elite Four, then there will be little to no progression of difficulty and Kanto will be considered yet again an easy add on region instead of an extra challenge. So as you go through the game I would think that the gym leaders would in fact get progressively stronger in Kanto as well,not as fast mind you, but still stronger.

But lv.60-70 are not used so...there is possibly

Falkner Lv.11-12
Bugsy Lv.14-17
Whitney Lv.20-22
Morty Lv.23-26
Chuck Lv.29-32
Jasmine Lv.34-37
Pryce Lv.39-41
Clair Lv.43-47

Will Lv.50-52
Koga Lv.51-54
Bruno Lv.53-56
Karen Lv.55-58
Lance Lv.58-62

Lt.Surge Lv.52-56
Sabrina Lv.55-59
Misty Lv.58-62
Erika Lv.61-65
Janine Lv.52-58
Brock Lv.64-68
Blaine Lv.67-71
Blue Lv.70-74

Red Lv.75-83

That way it will not have gap between Blue and Red :D

You're not supposed to find gym leaders difficult after becoming a champion.

Lt.Surge Lv.52-56
Sabrina Lv.55-59
Misty Lv.58-62
Erika Lv.61-65
Janine Lv.52-58
Brock Lv.64-68
Blaine Lv.67-71
Blue Lv.70-74

I don't even think that there should be a progression of levels in Kanto since you aren't exactly forced to battle them in order anymore. Janine should still be the weakest being the newest gym leader (well even if Blue became a gym leader after her, he was still a former champion).

Back
Top Bottom