• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh New Pokemon Species Discussion

What's your opinion on the new Galar Pokémon we've seen so far?

• I like most of them

Votes: 89 69.5%
  • I dislike most of them

Votes: 11 8.6%
  • I'm neutral on most of them

Votes: 28 21.9%

• Total voters
  • Grookey - looks ok but i dont think i'll like its evolution (gorilla?)
  • Scorbunny - dont like it tbh
  • Sobble - looks cute but its evo is supposedly a spy and i hate that idea
  • Corviknight - ill probably grow to like this one more since its the common bird. i like dark stuff so im surprised i dont love it.
  • Gossifleur / Eldegoss - nothing really special about them tbh
  • Wooloo - looks super cute but i dont really love it
  • Drednaw - i like turtles but not a huge fan of the design
  • Yamper - dogs are great but not the biggest fan of corgis b/c of their association with the british queen
  • Impidimp (not officially revealed) - i like its design so we've gotta see what it evolves into
  • Rolycoly - never really been a fan of the geodude-esque pokemon, this is no different
  • Alcremie - absolutely love it! favorite so far no question
  • Duraludon - i think its design is ugly
  • Morpeko - hangry mode sounds ridiculous but the design isn't that bad and its ability is interesting
  • Obstagoon - i hate kiss so i hate this design. probably my least favorite so far
  • Cramorant - its ugly but ugly on purpose (like impidimp) kinda plain though so idk
  • Polteageist - looks cute. i like it
  • Sirfetch'd - farfetch'd definitely deserved something so im happy to see it get something but i wont be using it
  • Zacian/Zamazenta - i dont really like legends for the most part, and they look a lot alike so i the colors in their names is the only way to remember which is which. the designs are ok

i guess im mostly neutral, and very hesitant to see what the ones i like evolve into. im still excited to play of course

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but isn't that thread more for speculating about possible new Pokemon, such as the fish in Cramorant's mouth or fan wishes like a dolphin Pokemon, rather than discussing the new, revealed Pokemon?

From what I've been reading and posting the last 7 months the other thread is for both, but I guess the mods are the ones who will decide.

I like alot of the pokemon this generation, but like always, their last evolution either breaks it or makes it for me. (or lack of evolution)
  • Grookey- Cute and very curious on it's last evolution. I may choose him but it depends heavily on how they go. I often like grass Starters. I guess he has my biggest interest of the three oddly.
  • Scorbunny- Cute but feels like it will be a really nice evolution, or something eh.
  • Sobble- I love water Starters and almost always choose them in my first run. Sobble looks like he has alot of good potential. I just hope they don't greninja him. He is my choice for right now until I find out the last evolutions of these guys.

-The starters are the first in a long time (gens1-3) where I like all three and I hope it stays that way upon the last evolution.

• Corviknight - Looks ok. Not too excited but glad he doesn't look goofy if he is the regional bird. He doesn't look like the regional bird to me. Skarmory looks more interesting to me. I guess it is just the lack of a varied color pallet. I think it would look nicer if it had another color like gold or even blue really... Keeps the black look because black birds if you look at them in the sun they often have hints of other colors like green.
  • Gossifleur- I love this pokemon. I like the personality it shows and the colors are nice.
  • Eldegoss- I like this one less than gossifleur. I just feel like more could be done with it considering the other cotton pokemon we have. Hoping it will evolve again but I know it isn't likely. It is cute.
  • Wooloo- Adorable. Hope it evolves into a Big Ram looking pokemon. Like a Big Horned Sheep look. Something strong and awsome. A cuter look works too I suppose like the Valaise Blacknose Sheep.
  • Drednaw- I love this one. I don't know why. Just seems like a cool pokemon. But where I grew up we had huge snapping turtles that would come out of the ponds and ditches. I always thought they looked like dinosaurs as a kid. You didn't want to go near them btw haha.
  • Yamper- Cute But looking forward to an evolution that emphasizes on speed. The coloring looks a little off so hoping that improves upon evolution.
  • Impidimp (not officially revealed)- I like this because it seems to have alot of potential. Hoping for a Gargoyle like pokemon. Perhaps a reference with stained glass. Maybe on the wings? I like gargoyles. They look interesting.
  • Rolycoly- I find it cute and again looks like it has alot of potential. Hoping for it to be fire/rock and like others a train inspiration.
  • Alcremie- I really liked this pokemon. And Was hoping they did variations for it... however... they have waayy too many. I was thinking like 3 other variations opposed to the strawberry. Like a green tea, blueberry, chocolate, and wafer cookie and end it. The variations feel a little overwhelming so I wonder if there is some mechanic to it or if some are version exclusive or country locked. I don't think hey have even released all the skins for it yet.
  • Duraludon- He is ok. color pallet is nice.
  • Morpeko- The one I don't like this Generation.
  • Obstagoon- Looks interesting. Wonders how what he will be like in battle.
  • Cramorant- I really like this goofy bird. Probably because it reminds me of the Blue Footed Boobies. I find those interesting and pretty birds.
  • Polteageist- It is ok. Probably won't use him at all.
  • Sirfetch'd- I find it really creative how they did the sword/lance/joust thing and shield, but a little too on the nose. I do like him though. I think I would have rather him used a different weapon like numb-chucks. I probably won't use him due to thinking about getting Shield Version. But if I did get Sword, I would consider him.
  • Zacian- I like him. Not a fan of him holding a sword in his mouth. I feel like the creativity is a little lacking. It is pretty though. I like both mascots
  • Zamazenta- I like him just a little more than Zacian. I feel his design is more creative and I love the color pallet. Reminds me of a samurai too.

Generally, I feel like a lot of the Pokemon this generation have a cool core concept executed in a sub-optimal way. Obstagoon, in theory, is a super cool idea. The final product looks very crowded though, with decorations literally everywhere. Morpeko and Cramorant, on the other hand, are very empty. Most strong designs have a key feature that the eye gravitates towards; these Pokemon lack one. I feel like pokemon that strike a good balance are sobble, corviknight, yamper, impidimp, sirfetch'd, eldegoss, and wooloo. It's a shame, because the new Alola pokemon where very well balanced, I can't think of a single one off the top of my head that looked crowded or empty.

Good question. @SpinyShell

I want to say that the new species speculation thread is mostly about predictions. I could be wrong, though.

Thank you for asking me

EDIT: I might edit the thread to be something about Rating the new Galar Pokemon. Let me check with the others, first.

Last edited:
what about that new black dragon?

I personally hope for my dragon/ghost skeleton with immunity to special attacks a black skeleton would be perfect actually
We’ve discussed it some in the legendary thread but it’s worth noting here too. My money’s currently on a third legendary because of its color scheme - it looks black and gold. If we’re going with the CMYK theory than it could be complementary to Zacian and Zamazenta.

That being said, some people in the thread reminded me that they’ve had statues of
generic dragons ever since Gen 1, with Opelucid Gym in Gen 5 being the most notable.

Hmmm that gian lizard that they showed could be dragon/dark or fairy but could also be dark/ghost or ghost/psychic...
Eternatus. What if its ability is that it always is gigantomax form from start? Without the 3 turn restriction that it can battle till faint?

Gigantamaxing at the start wouldn't be anything special, since it could be done on the first turn anyways, and removing the limit would be ridiculously broken.

We’ve discussed it some in the legendary thread but it’s worth noting here too. My money’s currently on a third legendary because of its color scheme - it looks black and gold. If we’re going with the CMYK theory than it could be complementary to Zacian and Zamazenta.

That being said, some people in the thread reminded me that they’ve had statues of
generic dragons ever since Gen 1, with Opelucid Gym in Gen 5 being the most notable.
Yeah I'm pretty sure it's just a generic dragon. There's a chance it's modeled off a legendary dragon or pseudo legend, but like you said, generic dragon statues are nothing new for Pokémon games.

Gigantamaxing at the start wouldn't be anything special, since it could be done on the first turn anyways, and removing the limit would be ridiculously broken.
For one pokemon? Legendary? The stongest pokemon? Depends on the typing... Dark/psychic would be weak to bugs... Also we know G-max has maybe a weakness. Its called lack of some moves and effects of them in battle if you think about it longer.

So, with the new stream announced, let's speculate the Pokemon we'd see there.
I'd like:
The regional bug, a punk treehopper pokemon which is bug/dark
Stat Possibilities:
HP 44 > 67 > 88
ATK 61 > 82 > 111
DEF 68 > 91 > 101
SP. ATK 39 > 59 > 69
SP. DEF 41 > 59 > 69
SPD 49 > 62 > 79
BST 302 > 420 > 517
A fruit bat which is grass/flying
HP 54 > 78
ATK 74 > 101
DEF 37 > 62
SP. ATK 62 > 93
SP. DEF 33 > 59
SPD 81 > 113
BST 341 > 506
A spooky tombstone which is ghost/rock
HP 69 > 89
ATK 59 > 79
DEF 72 > 123
SP. ATK 47 > 66
SP. DEF 67 > 112
SPD 11 > 22
BST 325 > 491
A shrodinger's cat Pokemon, which changes state turn by turn, similar to Morpeko (Ability name: Quantum Physics)
HP 88
ATK 104
DEF 64
SP. ATK 73
SP. DEF 61
SPD 98
BST 488

I kind of want a new snake pokemon. We haven't gotten a lot of them. My pick for typing would be Poison/Psychic.
If anything i hope for fire/poison snake

edit: oh i forget we just got salazzle.. might be too soon for that :/

If anything i hope for fire/poison snake

edit: oh i forget we just got salazzle.. might be too soon for that :/

I wouldn't mind another fire/poison type, but I think psychic/poison would be interesting since snakes are sometimes associated with hypnosis and the type combo hasn't been used yet.

Great: Sobble, Zamazenta
Good: Grookey, Scorbunny, Yamper, Dreadnaw, Corviknight, Obstagoon, Zacian, G-Zigzagoon
Neutral: Wooloo, Gossifleur, Impidimp, Alcremie, Rolycoly, Morpeko, Cramorant, Polteagist, Sirfetch'd, G-Weezing, G-Linoone
Bad: Eldegoss (It was initially on neutral but looking at it it looks like a baby Florges with a giant afro...), Duraludon
I have high hopes for: Sobble's 2nd and 3rd evos, Elephant, Dreadnaw's preevo, that cupcake Serebii doesn't want to list for some reason, Gigantamax Lapras, Galarian forms for Johto and Unova mons (if they exist).

Great: Sobble, Zamazenta
Good: Grookey, Scorbunny, Yamper, Dreadnaw, Corviknight, Obstagoon, Zacian, G-Zigzagoon
Neutral: Wooloo, Gossifleur, Impidimp, Alcremie, Rolycoly, Morpeko, Cramorant, Polteagist, Sirfetch'd, G-Weezing, G-Linoone
Bad: Eldegoss (It was initially on neutral but looking at it it looks like a baby Florges with a giant afro...), Duraludon
I have high hopes for: Sobble's 2nd and 3rd evos, Elephant, Dreadnaw's preevo, that cupcake Serebii doesn't want to list for some reason, Gigantamax Lapras, Galarian forms for Johto and Unova mons (if they exist).
Because that "cupcake" is just another screenshot of the teacup elephant.

Bug/fighting fast grasshoper.
Bug/dark cockroach with damp or sturdy
Flying/fairy magic carpet with Fluffy ability to make it weak to fire.

Poison/steel humunculus
Poison/psychic Polteageist looks a little like a Jin and tea pot like a lamp but maybe a seperate pokemon? Feels like female poison mist...

Steel/flying Golden Duck
Steel/flying mechanical owl not related with Noctowl.

Bug/ghost Galar Parasect with Dazzling
Grass/rock Tangrowth galar evolution with dorns and a contact damage ability

Fairy/flying Rapidash with regenerator and magic bounce ability

Bug/dragon line

Galar Krickekout line gets Soundprood and a bug/fairy evolution

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom