• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

New type?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's something to be said about the Pokemon mythos and lore, or the world in a scientific view. We've really reached a point where retconning some of the older Pokemon would be nonsensical. It was fine when they did it for Magneton and Magnemite, but that time has long since passed. Older Pokemon have become their own personalities.

I would explain it with a story, in a quest chain. After an eclipse, about two dozen already known Pokemon changed type into a totally new type, and new Pokemon appeared. The player finds out that the Pokemon draw their power from a Legendary Light-type Pokemon that was imprisoned by a seal that could only be broken by a solar eclipse.

It's quite a bit more than we got from Magnemite and Magneton.

Most of the Pokemon I picked out are superfluous normal-types that hardly anyone uses. I think they need something to make them more than just "the cutesy normal-types of which only Blissey is useful". When was the last time you heard someone say "Wigglytuff/Clefable is a great Pokemon for battling! It's type is so unique and useful!"?

Anyways, only Togepi, Togetic, and Togekiss would have to have their properties totally changed.

All other Pokemon on that list would simply get a new secondary type.

The fairy egg group Pokemon to me, just don't gel with the other Normal-type Pokemon. Who are mostly realistic animals with small deviations instead of humanoid embodiments of cuteness, light, and kindness. They're a thematic sore thumb.

The "Poison should be strong against Water" argument probably originates from water pollution. As far as Pokemon types are concerned, Poison is the closest they have to it.

That's a very good point, actually, I hadn't thought of that. I was thinking more in terms of water itself, but if you think in terms of animals that live in water (which are what most water-types are), it falls into place, since aquatic creatures are notoriously sensitive to pollution and contamination.

If they DO introduce a new type, I hope they stick it solely on new Pokemon.

There's something to be said about the Pokemon mythos and lore, or the world in a scientific view. We've really reached a point where retconning some of the older Pokemon would be nonsensical. It was fine when they did it for Magneton and Magnemite, but that time has long since passed. Older Pokemon have become their own personalities.

I disagree, I think it could be successfully done. For example, the Whismur line and Chatot could both have a Sonic type replace their Normal type (or add onto it, in the case of Whismur) without affecting how they're perceived at all. Not many Pokémon would be changed, either - it seems to be a lot more common for moves to have types that don't make sense for them than it is for Pokémon.

Water being weak to Poison could work too. But it still doesn't help my beloved Ice-types. Getting STAB for Ice-Beam really isn't enough of an advantage when every single Water-type Pokemon can learn Ice-Beam and not have to worry about Earthquake and Brick Break taking them out before they even get a chance to use it.

Psychic = Light

Lets use the ??? Type. After all, no point in making a new type when you've already got one.

Gas and Wood, Both weak to Fire.
I'll see if i can create a chart soon.

revolvingscott, Steel doesn't resist Water; it takes neutral damage. Water actually resists Steel.
the point is, I want steel to rust, not let water drip off it as if nothing happened

The fairy egg group Pokemon to me, just don't gel with the other Normal-type Pokemon. Who are mostly realistic animals with small deviations instead of humanoid embodiments of cuteness, light, and kindness. They're a thematic sore thumb.

That happens in other types too, though. Just look at Poison: some are based on poisonous plants, some on venomous animals, some on garbage and pollution, and some on acid (which is something entirely different from poison). I think those do fit into Normal better than Light, since there's nothing explicitly light-based about them. granted, if the Light type were to be an exact foil to Dark, it would make more sense (given the Japanese "Aku" type), but as has been pointed out, Psychic somewhat has the "good" domain covered already.

Zeta's idea for a Light type sounds smart to me, as it has anything to do with that stupid "Dark VS Light" missunderstanding. Except that Ampharos should be Electric/Dragon.
Otherwise, as some people have said before, I don't think we need new types. We just need new combinations and balance the current chart. That water pollution idea is marvelous, by the way. And Bug Pokémon need to be buffed up. While we have decent Bug-type moves, other than Heracross and Scizor (both of them with double weaknesses to make things worse), there are no decent Bug Pokémon at all.

I understand. What rubs me the wrong way is... well, take an apple for instance. We've been calling it a fruit since forever. What if one day it is decided that, no, we aren't going to call it a fruit any longer, it is now a vegetable. Or what if they create a whole new section dedicated to an 'apple category' right along side fruits and veggies. I'm sure most peoples' reactions would be, "...Huh?"

Now if the reasoning for giving older Pokemon this new carefully-crafted Light type is some big quest or, heck, even the focal point of the entire games, then I really can't argue.

DorianBlack said:
I disagree, I think it could be successfully done. For example, the Whismur line and Chatot could both have a Sonic type replace their Normal type (or add onto it, in the case of Whismur) without affecting how they're perceived at all. Not many Pokémon would be changed, either - it seems to be a lot more common for moves to have types that don't make sense for them than it is for Pokémon.
I like Pokemon with defining attacks and abilities that help expand their design without having to rely on loads and loads of types. Whismur is a sound-based Pokemon so it gets sound-based attacks, but is falls under the uniformly created Normal-type.

Then why don't Professor Xavier and Dazzler have the exact same powers?

Because they exist in alternate universes that were made by a sick man and the laws of physics do not apply.

But think about it. Light is absorbed completely by the color black and the color black is almost always used to describe darkness. It makes more than enough sense that Light type is the Psychic types, as Psychic moves do not effect Dark types what so ever, because the moves are absorbed fully and nullified.

Water being weak to Poison could work too. But it still doesn't help my beloved Ice-types. Getting STAB for Ice-Beam really isn't enough of an advantage when every single Water-type Pokemon can learn Ice-Beam and not have to worry about Earthquake and Brick Break taking them out before they even get a chance to use it.

On that note, I'd like to see Fighting get heavily overhauled. The fact that it scores super-effective hits on Ice, Rock, and freaking Steel but isn't very effective against Bug has always driven me crazy. Correcting that logic fail would actually move the balance in the wrong direction, I know, but I think it could be worked in with some other chart corrections to balance out in total.

That happens in other types too, though. Just look at Poison: some are based on poisonous plants, some on venomous animals, some on garbage and pollution, and some on acid (which is something entirely different from poison). I think those do fit into Normal better than Light, since there's nothing explicitly light-based about them. granted, if the Light type were to be an exact foil to Dark, it would make more sense (given the Japanese "Aku" type), but as has been pointed out, Psychic kind of has that covered already.

It wouldn't be a foil to dark, since Dark is already balanced. In Japanese, Dark is "Evil" type, anyways. It's just that attacking with laser-beams, rainbows, and love seems like it could all be easily tied together to fix some rather boring Normal-Type Pokemon and balance issues primarily with Ice, Water, Steel, Ground, and Fighting.

And I'm not really seeing how laser beams and mind-control are so thoroughly linked. Psychic-type moves look like rainbows because there's no other way to illustrate psychic powers - you couldn't show the Pokemon just squinting. However, Psychic-type moves do not actually operate through light (as in laser beams), nor the video-game trope of a "holy element".

Water and Ice are far more linked than mind control and laser beams.

I'm just not seeing how a bunch of angelic fairies could or should be considered "normal" by any stretch of the word.

Just look at Poison: some are based on poisonous plants, some on venomous animals, some on garbage and pollution, and some on acid (which is something entirely different from poison).

The rule of thumb for poison types is generally: if it can make you sick, it's Poison.

Because they exist in alternate universes that were made by a sick man and the laws of physics do not apply.

But think about it. Light is absorbed completely by the color black and the color black is almost always used to describe darkness. It makes more than enough sense that Light type is the Psychic types, as Psychic moves do not effect Dark types what so ever, because the moves are absorbed fully and nullified.

But the exact opposite argument can also be made: wherever light is, there is no darkness. All dark is is the absence of light. why should one interpretation be above the other.

I think that if a Light type is made, it and Dark should be weak to each other - that's be an interesting twist on things, huh?

And @Zeta: I agree with you that Psychic =/= Light for the most part. I was just saying that in terms f the "good/evil" aspect, it was somewhat close as a foil for Dark. In terms of actual darkness and light, it isn't at all.

I think the type chart is fine as it is... the only thing needed to balance things out is probably more type combinations... and less water types.

This, which they can do without adding a new type.

If GameFreak has no other option and have to resort adding a new type(s), then DO NOT make it "Light". Just no.

Well, may be Zeta's suggestion might be renamed "Angel-type" opposed to the Evil type, the rue name if Dark (hell, even the Spanish translation was more accurate than the English one, calling that type "Siniestro").

I think the type chart is fine as it is... the only thing needed to balance things out is probably more type combinations... and less water types.

This, which they can do without adding a new type.

It would still be a foolish decision to put Glaceon, Abomasnow, or Glalie on your team and nigh impossible to take down a steel-type without Flamethrower or Brick Break. New Pokemon type combinations aren't going to fix that. Only a complete overhaul of the system or a new type will. Adding new Pokemon won't fix Pokemon that have already been broke. It'll just make the situation worse.
Well, may be Zeta's suggestion might be renamed "Angel-type" opposed to the Evil type, the rue name if Dark (hell, even the Spanish translation was more accurate than the English one, calling that type "Siniestro").

In Japanese, it would probably be the "Tengoku"-type (Heaven Type). It would only be Light-type in English for the sake of convention and religious reasons.

If this is going to turn into a type-chart balancing thread, we should at least have a starting point.

http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/blog.php?b=4825

This is Mijzelffan's type chart (Don't kill me for using it without permission), and it's pretty well-balanced in my opinion. It's at least a good starting point.

If this is going to turn into a type-chart balancing thread, we should at least have a starting point.

http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/blog.php?b=4825

This is Mijzelffan's type chart (Don't kill me for using it without permission), and it's pretty well-balanced in my opinion. It's at least a good starting point.

I mostly like it, but the Grass >> Electric is leaving me very confused (and the Flying >> Fire took me a minute to get).

Wow, you only have to glance on that and the first things that stick out are all the red boxes in the water and steel column. @_@

I'm a little confused as to anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom