• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Nightmare on Elm Street

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eliana Rampage

troll killer
Reaction score
I know what you're thinking.

-THAT MOVIE SUCKED
-THEY TOTALLY RUINED THE ORIGINAL
-THERE'S NO CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT AND IT'S ALL ABOUT SLASH

I completely understand- but then again, what MODERN (1990s-now) horror film has any true plot, save a few gems? Even Saw is becoming mindless (which is why, by the way, they are no longer making four more films but are ending it at Saw 7).

That being said, we have to consider the good aspects of this remake- Jackie Earle Haley (the guy who played Rorschach in Watchmen) did an INCREDIBLE job portraying Freddy Krueger. In my opinion, his acting was what made this movie watchable for me. He had personality, he was twisted, and he had knives on his glove. What else do you need?

I'd give the remake a 7.5 or 8 out of 10, but Jackie's performance was golden...

What did you guys think? I'm pretty hooked on the franchise right now which is why I'm on a rampage about it. Did anyone else bother seeing it?

And if not, what are your thoughts about the original?

:)

I am planning on seeing it this weekend or next weekend it looks good I want to see it I like the remakes they got more explanation about the story like Halloween did

I saw it, and hated it. It wasn't as bad as the second movie, but it was still very bad.
I thought Haley was good, but he was no Robert Englund.
I also don't like how they changed him from a child murderer to a rapist. Freddie was a murderer Goddammit!
All of the actors (Excluding Haley) annoyed the hell out of me. They all reminded me of cardboard cut-outs (The orignal had bad acting as well, but it was lovably cheesy).

The bigest problem with modern, Hollywood driven, American horror is we aren't given a reason to give a shit about the characters being brutalized. That is the case with Nightmare on Elm Street. This is exactly the movie Wes Craven was making fun of in New Nightmare. Ironically, it is a movie within the same series.

Harley's portrayal of Krueger was excellent. I also liked that one scene in the pharmacy where Nancy is flickering in and out of the dream world, while Freddy advances on her. Everything else was just...bad.
Especially *SPOILERS HERE* the way Freddy died. I mean, that's it? Nancy slashes him with the broken papercutter...and he dies in our world? The ending to the original was cheesy, but I still think it was better.

Edit: I also liked the scare at the very end of the original was better, where the car's windows go up and it rolls downhill, while Freddy grabs Nancy's mother and pulls her through the window. He kinda warped out of the mirror in the new one and dragged her through. It just wasn't as dramatic. *SPOILERS END*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom