• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Nintendo announces global 3DS price cut and "Ambassador Programme"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice to see my day one purchase finally pay off. With the DS Phat, I got totally screwed up, since they released far better models that had better designs and screen brightness. But now... *sniff* my early commitment is finally acknowledged! Can't wait to get these games, even if I've already played some of them multiple times in the past.

That GBA lineup is pretty sweet! I'll probably end up downloading all 10 GBA games anyway! XD

Went to eShop today, but I didn't get the programme. Was I too early for it?

Not really. The deadline to participate in this program doesn't end until August 11th, when the price cut will take effect. While downloading the GB games will take place in September and the promise of downloading GBA games coming later in the year.

Personally, I'm glad that Nintendo decided to do something to compensate the early buyers like me.

I think that as long as you access the eShop before 11th August, Nintendo remembers that your system was brought before the 12th, so the games will appear as free to you.

I think.

So you're saying that I'll get the program if I still have eShop? All I could find are GB VCs instead of NES/GBA VCs, which made me assume I'm too early.

As Joshawott said, all you need to do is setup and enter the 3DS eShop. Don't think you need to purchase anything, just enter it.

Also, yay ponies!

As Joshawott said, all you need to do is setup and enter the 3DS eShop. Don't think you need to purchase anything, just enter it.

Also, yay ponies!

I need more specific details on how to do so. I already got the eShop, and it asked me for an update, so I did, and after that, nothing happened.

Mario Kart 7 is the 7th game (excluding the arcade games):

Super Mario Kart - SNES
Mario Kart 64 - N64
Mario Kart: Super Circuit - Gameboy Advance
Mario Kart: Double Dash!! - Gamecube
Mario Kart DS - DS
Mario Kart Wii - Wii
Mario Kart 7 - 3DS

Stupid Wikipedia i was counting all the kart games and Mario Kart Arcade GP was in the list

Imagine if you could somehow snag the 3DS at the lower price point just before the 11th of August and register it on the eShop. Hell yeah, $170 for a 3DS and 20 free games.

But anyway, this does make getting the 3DS a lot more tempting, but I'm not going to lose anything on waiting some more for a possible hardware upgrade. The battery life, bulkiness, and poor DS screen resolution are still a lot to consider before I shell out around $170 on a device that doesn't even have that great of a library at the present time; and I'm still getting a lot of use out of my DSi, which was a first-day purchase and still is in great condition. Besides, Mario Kart 7 isn't even coming out 'til December, and who knows when the next Pokemon game's going to come out; those are the only two 'titles' I'm mildly interested in, at the moment.

Whoo! Now I can get one! Looks like Nintendo got a little bit smarter.

I need more specific details on how to do so. I already got the eShop, and it asked me for an update, so I did, and after that, nothing happened.
You could try reading the press release that was both quoted and linked to in the original post.

The programme contains two elements:

1.Beginning Sept. 1st, Nintendo 3DS Ambassadors will be able to download 10 NES™ Virtual Console™ games at no charge and before they are available in Nintendo eShop for the general public. These games, including Super Mario Bros.™, Donkey Kong Jr.™, Balloon Fight™, Ice Climber™ and The Legend of Zelda™, will be released as paid downloadable games, but Ambassadors can download them in advance of launch for free. Once the paid versions of the games are released in Nintendo eShop later in the year, the updated versions will be available to Ambassadors for download at no cost.

2. By the end of 2011, Nintendo will provide Ambassadors with 10 Game Boy Advance Virtual Console games. These include games like Yoshi’s Island™: Super Mario™ Advance 3, Mario Kart™: Super Circuit, Metroid™ Fusion, WarioWare™, Inc.: Minigame Mania and Mario vs. Donkey Kong™. These games will be available exclusively to Ambassadors, and Nintendo currently has no plans to make these 10 games available to the general public on Nintendo 3DS in the future.

More details about this programme will be announced in the future.

I think we all knew they were running at a loss, and obviously this sacrifice is necessary to compete with the PSVita considering it apparently has a fully stocked online store, while the 3DS didn't.

Really looks like the 3DS could use a main series Pokemon game--a new generation, not just the third version since those don't sell as well as the first two. They wanted 16 million units sold by the end of the year, they'll need their core Nintendo games to do it. I really think that's why they were failing at first. I understand their wanting to focus on third party products to with those companies over, but a better way to win them over is to show people own the system.

Really looks like the 3DS could use a main series Pokemon game--a new generation, not just the third version since those don't sell as well as the first two. They wanted 16 million units sold by the end of the year, they'll need their core Nintendo games to do it. I really think that's why they were failing at first. I understand their wanting to focus on third party products to with those companies over, but a better way to win them over is to show people own the system.

This is why RSE remakes would be a very smart move. I mean how many sales did HG/SS have? Certainly much more than a third version. Plus, it's something than fans have been waiting for.

Even if they made one, they can't have one out by March to meet their 16 million units, and I'd much rather they not rush this game.

I wonder how Nintendo would react to that since they're the ones who are losing money on this deal. Then again, if the retailer chooses to sell for less, aren't they the ones who have to cover the cost? Either way, I don't think Nintendo's going to be very happy over Wal Mart's move...unless the number of 3DS units sold was massive.

Hey, it could end up being part of their plan, after all. I know that personally, I didn't even have an interest in the 3DS until the price drop, and even then, only a mild interest; I wasn't really in a rush to go out and pick one up because of the inevitable hardware upgrade we'll surely get down the road. Now, if I can pick up the system at a $170 price tag and get 20 free games, I'm totally going for that.

Apparently, it only costs Nintendo around $101 to manufacture a 3DS, so maybe they still aren't selling the system at a loss now (in contrast to earlier reports, which may have not been accurately translated).

Apparently, it only costs Nintendo around $101 to manufacture a 3DS, so maybe they still aren't selling the system at a loss now (in contrast to earlier reports, which may have not been accurately translated).
>_>

I understand that consumers are strange creatures, and some would actually reject a gaming system at such a low price based on the logic "something that cheap can't be good", why on earth did they think $250 was a good price? Honestly, $200 would have been great, I would have considered it since its only $20 more than what they sell the DSi for.

The 20 free games aren't something I'm particularly interested in though, especially with school. I'm still waiting for a Pokemon game that isn't Rumble, a non-remake Zelda game (or Windwaker remake), or Mario Kart, that thankfully we know is coming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom