• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Nintendo announces Nintendo DS successor: Handheld to be able to produce 3D effects

Status
Not open for further replies.

BulbaBot

Dreams of electric Bulbasaur
Reaction score
Nintendo announces Nintendo DS successor: Handheld to be able to produce 3D effects

Nintendo Co., Ltd. has released an official statement announcing plans to release a new handheld console, tentatively given the name "Nintendo 3DS." The new console is said to produce 3D effects without the need for glasses, and it is also said to be backwards compatible with the library of Nintendo DS and DSi titles.

Read more on Bulbanews

Re: Nintendo announces Nintendo DS successor: Handheld to be able to produce 3D effec

Ninja'd
:D

This is a kotaku article that speculates how the technology might work!

Re: Nintendo announces Nintendo DS successor: Handheld to be able to produce 3D effec

Right, right... that new japanese DSi game that just came out looked very nice by using the cameras for depth... I wonder how this will be applied in the "3DS".

Also, can I point out that there is small error in the article?
...a bigger DSi, the Nintendo DSi XL (known as the "Nintendo DSi XL" in Japan) was released.
Its known as the DSi LL in Japan.

Is it just me or does "Nintendo 3DS" make it sound more like there's three duel screens rather than duel screens that produce 3d...? xD

Is it just me or does "Nintendo 3DS" make it sound more like there's three duel screens rather than duel screens that produce 3d...? xD

I was thinking the same thing...

Anyways, there's a video of a 3d looking DSi game hadn't noticed before, (I'm sure I'm just a huge Slowpoke but...) I didn't know this kind of 3d look was already available on the DSi

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5QSclrIdlE

Looks pretty cool

'Three duel screens'? That's not grammatically correct. 'Dual' (with an a) means two, so you're saying 'three two screens'.

The 3DS will have two screens, but in 3D, as the 'DS' (dual screen) does.

It had damn well better be backwards compatible. I simply won't buy one if it isn't

Tullio

It is backwards compatible with all DS games.

I sure hope gen 5 will be for the regular DS like they said and that it won't even have special bonus when played on 3DS
I really liked the idea that I won't have to buy a new console just to play gen 5 (or to enjoy all the games' features)

I sure hope gen 5 will be for the regular DS like they said and that it won't even have special bonus when played on 3DS
I really liked the idea that I won't have to buy a new console just to play gen 5 (or to enjoy all the games' features)

I suppose Gen V will be on DS, but the third version and possible remakes will likely be on the 3DS.

I suppose Gen V will be on DS, but the third version and possible remakes will likely be on the 3DS.

I hope that will be the case... I just want at least the first pair of games to be completely for the regular DS (which means no extra for playing it on 3DS)
I already got sick of all the event Poké that unlock special stuff in the game that really should've been there normally... I don't want to buy a brand new console that will cost a lot of money that I don't have just to unlock something in the game or to see it better =\
The best would be to make the third version a 3DS exclusive and just leave the original pair for the regular DS
I will be seriously annoyed if they'll all of a sudden delay gen 5 and release it to the 3DS (although I'd be happy for the DP anime to continue a little longer...)

Reality Check Time.
I went to www.nintendo.com and searched Nintendo 3DS. There were no results. I can only think of one word now: FAKE! The DS has always been 3D capable, ever since its first game, Super Mario 64 DS. Why would they claim 3D support as a new feature when it was always available?

My quest for information on the next generation Nintendo hand-held system continues.

although I'd be happy for the DP anime to continue a little longer

Aren't delays usually unexpected? I doubt the anime would be able to pull it off very well (since it takes six months to create episodes). If the the 5th gen games were delayed until 3ds came out, the anime would have to take a hiatus until the games came out.

If the delay was on purpose and expected (six months or more ago) the anime might be able to continue longer, perhaps enough to have a 20 or so episode about the BF. Not sure what Dawn would do if she was a main character since 20 episodes is not nearly enough for contests as well as BF. I mean sure it's entirely possible but not likely. Since we're looking at only 5 episodes for any possible evolutions/fillers (actual fillers).

5 episodes for BF
5 Episodes for Contests
5 episodes for GF
5 episodes for randomness.

Anyway until more information is known about the 3ds I'm going to remain apprehensive about it. The "3d without glasses" sounds pretty neat, I just hope that isn't all good for. Hopefully the possible graphics will blow DS graphics out of the water.

Edit:

I went to www.nintendo.com and searched Nintendo 3DS. There were no results. I can only think of one word now: FAKE!
Isn't a nintendo.com an English site, why would it be on there Pokemon.com doesn't even acknowledge Zoroark/Zorua? And did you even bother to check the source on bulbanews? It's a PDF file on nintendo.co.jp (a better source than nintendo.com since they're likely to have stuff known sooner).

The DS has always been 3D capable, ever since its first game, Super Mario 64 DS. Why would they claim 3D support as a new feature when it was always available?
I'm not sure you understand "3d without glasses". While apparently the DSi has a good view on the subject (I believe it requires the camera), this doesn't need a camera apparently but motion sensing technology.

This is new, since the DS never has done that (with the exception of that DSI wiiware thing, but this could even be different than that).

Last edited:

Reality Check Time.
I went to www.nintendo.com and searched Nintendo 3DS. There were no results. I can only think of one word now: FAKE! The DS has always been 3D capable, ever since its first game, Super Mario 64 DS. Why would they claim 3D support as a new feature when it was always available?

My quest for information on the next generation Nintendo hand-held system continues.

Nintendo of JAPAN (the only true authority) has this PDF up on their site:

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2010/100323e.pdf

And it's not 3-D as an 3D animated graphics... it's obvious the DS already has those (though the 3DS will be capable of far better ones on this front, I imagine). They're talking about a type of stereoscopic 3-D that doesn't require glasses.

Do you even know what 3D means in this context? Do you realize Nintendo is a Japanese company and thus the Japanese arm of the company has greater authority? Unless it's E3 the Japanese executives headline the big announcements. Did you even read the news story? Or did you merely stare at the title before foolishly making baseless assumptions? How old are you? It's not only obnoxious, but willfully ignorant. Read the pdf honey and do reality check for yourself instead of pretending anybody else need undergo one.

I agree, my DSi is still fresh and new (even though it is almost a year old now). I would like to squeeze just one more generation out of it.

3D sounds cool, especially if you don't have to wear those goofy glasses. Also, I am sooooo glad that they are making it backwards compatible. That is a great relief, as I feel all the games I'm buying now won't be outdated as quickly.

Aren't delays usually unexpected?

Right, but if a delay would happen - the writers will probably know it before us... I don't know... but most likely they won't do any delay
They waited until the last second to reveal gen 5 shortly before it's released so they probably know for sure they'll release it by the end of 2010

I I'm not sure you understand "3d without glasses".

I hate how people use "3D" for two really different things... I sometimes got confused by this too... there really should be two different words for these two completely different things

Nintendo of JAPAN (the only true authority) has this PDF up on their site:

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2010/100323e.pdf

And it's not 3-D as an 3D animated graphics... it's obvious the DS already has those (though the 3DS will be capable of far better ones on this front, I imagine). They're talking about a type of stereoscopic 3-D that doesn't require glasses.

Ah... That changes things. It's just the same gimmick as 3D in theaters, but without the glasses. I never bother to purchase tickets to movies in 3D.

A good use of the innovation is emulating a pokemon coliseum/Yu-Gi-Oh duel table/insert "hologram" generator idea here. If every wall of a room, plus the floor and ceiling, is a stereoscopic screen, then a hologram effect can be implemented with player position tracking systems and the proper display format.

Pokemon will have waggle and terrible 3D that gives me headaches, super good. :|

Ah... That changes things. It's just the same gimmick as 3D in theaters, but without the glasses. I never bother to purchase tickets to movies in 3D.

Your loss. There've been several movies that made exceptional use of digital 3-D technology. If you haven't even tried it, you dont have much credibility in calling it a gimmick.

Everything can be used as a "gimmick". It doesn't mean the same thing can't also be used well. The 3-D effect of the new Nintendo handheld will likely be able to be switched off; so it's not as if every game will make use of it.

There's the fact that it's rumoured to be about on par with the Gamecube, in terms of conventional 3-D animated graphics. That's sure a massive improvement over the regular DS, even if you don't like the idea of stereoscopic 3-D.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom