• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Nintendo releases official annoucement of next handheld: "3DS"

As exciting as this surely is for everyone (including me), I recommend that you all will wait a bit before considering buying this 3DS. Say, maybe a year after its launch? Then you'd be just in time for the 3DS Lite. Surely quite many of the people, possibly even some of the members in this forum (I'm not pointing at anyone, calm down) will be so mesmerized by 3DS Lite's aesthetic desing that many will soon forget it's just a sleekier 3DS, a console they already own. If the first iteration of 3DS would cost 200 bucks, then you'd be essentially paying double the amount of that, possibly even more. I bet everyone would like to use their 400$ on a console and some games for it, rather than on two almost identical consoles.

If anyone's confused and wondering what the fudge I'm blabbering on about, here's a news flash: Nintendo, although the best console manufacturer and games developer in the universe, has a particular habit that makes their customer base rather uncomfortable: they like to f*** up their handhelds' first designs. Gameboy was an ugly grey block with a black and white display that not only got a smaller redesign (Game Boy Pocket) but also redesigns with color (Game Boy Color) and a backlit screen (the Japan exclusive Game Boy Light). The successor, Game Boy Advance, had a rather toy-like design and you couldn't see a damn thing of the action on the screen without lighting up the whole town. Then, Nintendo decided to help everyone conserve energy and released a sleek, backlit Game Boy Advance SP that you could also charge up without the need for those obnoxious AA batteries. And later on, the miniature (though short-lived) Game Boy Micro followed. And with DS we got the original (AKA Phat), that really lived up to the first Gameboy in ugliness, then the fadtastic Lite (it's announcement and release irked me unlike anything else before, even more than the GBASP), then the all seeing DSi and later on its bigger (and better?) brother, XL.

To this day, I've sticked with my GBA and Phat. As you can see, I've been an early adopter (except with Game Boy, when I got GBC instead as my first ever handheld). Unfortunately, early adopters are like second-class citizens to Nintendo (note: I don't bear any grudges or hate towards them, they're still the best). Iwata and pals have probably LMAO'ed at all the people who bought the earliest models of their handhelds. And for a good reason. If you bought the Phat, thinking that it was awesome, only to buy the Lite later on because it looked so damn gorgeous, you deserve to be laughed at (*hahahahahahahahahahah!*). If you've repeatedly succumbed to the same mistake of buying the first iterations of Nintendo handhelds and then buying the redesigns, I pity you. If you'll do it again with 3DS, fully knowing it'll get tons of redesigns, you're either very rich or such a huge idiot you deserve to get your money taken away from you (no matter what you might think, I wasn't serious when I said that, so don't start complaining about how I "insulted everyone and deserve to get banned").

If you're fine with owning the first and the most primitive and lacking designs of Nintendo's handhelds, buy this 3DS straight at the launch. If you've always loved how the redesigns like SP and Lite looked like, don't be tempted by this new handheld. Even if it looked nice compared to DSi, remember that the redesigns will be so much more sexier that they'll make the first model look ugly. It's your own loss if you end up buying every handheld twice (or *gulp* thrice or more) and wasting twice as much money for what is essentially the same, only with some added bells and whistles. The first year is always guaranteed to have a weaker lineup of games, including tons of shovelware, so you're not missing much. If there are some kickass titles you're worried about being sold out soon, buy them in advance and start playing them when you get the 3DS Lite. Meanwhile, you can keep on playing with your Wii and DS, that will assuredly still be getting tons of games. It's only one year's wait, it'll pass fairly quickly. And then you can get the shiny new 3DS Lite. As for me? I'm gonna buy it at the launch and ignore the improved models, just like with my GBA and Phat.

Last edited:
I'm suprised this isn't on Bulbanews. I also think that the first two Gen V games will go the way of GS on this one.

It is: http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/showthread.php?t=56506

So could this be the "DS2" we have been hearing rumors about? The way it is, it can still play current DS games, making the idea of Gen V being for new console, out as the way this looks it can be played on any DS and we don't have to worry about compatibility isses or Gen V being shorter because of consoles. And because this DS is buolt of current DS technology, if the future pokemon games are designed for this DS only such as a third Gen V or remakes for Gen V, then you wouldn't need to worry about the trading usse as you could still trade between games the way you can now.

Check the video on this link: http://uk.videogames.games.yahoo.com/blog/article/9954/, it looks quite interesting and it could explian why Game Freak are going to be hiring in 2011, possibly to create a game or two designed for this new 3D stuff?

I don't too well see how this would work for pokemon. In a way we've already had a variable camera, it's just that it only changes perspective in certain places. Only the Distortion World made full use of it. They could have something else in mind for it, though.

Simulated 3D like this tends to make me dizzy. I don't like this development at all.

Well I guess all those people talking in the other thread about how "oh, it's too soon for a DS2" are eating their words. ;-)

Now all we need as an announcement about Gen V moving to the 3DS. There's no point in releasing such a major title on the DS at the end of the year, about the time this thing could show up.

Well since it'll be backwards compatible, people would still want to buy the 3DS for gen 5 even though those are going to be DS games. I wouldn't be surprised if there are special features that are 3DS exclusive though like many people are saying like how G/S were for GBC (color). But it has been stated that these are going to be DS games, and it wouldn't make sense for them to change it now. They've already been designing the games for DS for years (potentially?) and it wouldn't make sense to update the entire game for 3DS. Unless of course they had been making it for 3DS this entire time, in which case they wouldn't say it's going to be for DS.

Now all we need as an announcement about Gen V moving to the 3DS.

If you read the link I posted above:

new system will work without the need to wear special glasses too.

Mr. Iwata dropped this bombshell during an investor call overnight, during which it was revealed that the 3DS (working title) is scheduled to launch before the end of March 2011.

So it could very well be launced after the Gen V games come out and therefore the first Gen V games wouldn't be for 3Ds, besides whay possiblt way could Pokemon games make use of the 3Ds if they are not totally 3D as is and I bet won't be fully either in Gen V. Maybe a few parts of the game could be made that way and if the games (I assume will) be backwards compatible with other DS's, they won't be designed for 3Ds anyway, at least not for these first games.

Unless of course they had been making it for 3DS this entire time, in which case they wouldn't say it's going to be for DS.

If we knew how long the sonsole has been in work for and how long Gen V has been in work for, we could speculate, but I agree with you, but I doubt these games will be for "3DS" just probably look a little better on them.

Yeah, I saw the BBC article and was like. o_O?

Oh well, I guess we'll see the overhyped stuff in a year. :)

In before "RS remakes will have May's boobs popping out at you".

Wow portable...internet connection. :p

welp i'm glad I didn't buy any of the DS upgrades and just stuck with my ol' DS Phat.

Sucks for anyone who just bought the XL, LOL

Anyways yeah, I bought the DS Lite for the long battery life and as the last DS-GBA console. XP

Yeah I personally got the DSi pretty soon before the DSXL came out xD but a slightly larger screen isn't a big deal.

So it could very well be launced after the Gen V games come out and therefore the first Gen V games wouldn't be for 3Ds, besides whay possiblt way could Pokemon games make use of the 3Ds if they are not totally 3D as is and I bet won't be fully either in Gen V. Maybe a few parts of the game could be made that way and if the games (I assume will) be backwards compatible with other DS's, they won't be designed for 3Ds anyway, at least not for these first games.

If it does come out in February or early March 2011, then you could be right.

However, I still think Gen V on the DS (now confirmed to be soon-dead) is a bit of a mistake. I'd much rather GF delay the release from late 2010 to launch with the 3DS (it's really only a few months, either way). The first two games would probably only be able to get partial ports, only using 3DS features for certain parts of the game (maybe for battle scenes, or a place like Platinum's distortion world).

Now that this announcement has dropped, though, it's inevitable that GF will have to say something about it. Even if it's just to indicate that the first two games, in fact, won't be using the technology. There'll be too many people wondering.

My guess is...Gamefreak will delay Generation V, and instead work to port them on the Nintendo 3DS. Nintendo love making money, so here's how they'll probably do it:

1) 3DS on it's own.
2) 3DS Bundle with Gen V Version A, coloured to match the game's main colour.
3) 3DS Bundle with Gen V Version B, coloured to match the game's main oclour.
4) 3DS Bundle with a non-Pokémon game. Possibly coloured to match that game's main colour.

Big big money.

Or take it one step further and release them before the 3DS, then release a special 3DS version with enhanced graphics and new features and extra plot!

Big big money x2 ;)

Or take it one step further and release them before the 3DS, then release a special 3DS version with enhanced graphics and new features and extra plot!

Big big money x2 ;)

So basically...third version for 3DS?

Or maybe release for DS, promising bonus features if played in a 3DS, and include a money-off coupon, thus urging people to buy one more.

This announcement really terrifies me. They've announced Generation V for the original DS, but there's always a chance that they could push it back as a title exclusive to this DS successor and I just don't want to buy another $200+ handheld that I'll only play Pokemon games on. Hoping that Generation V (or at least the first two games, which are all I care about anyway) at the very least go the way of Twilight Princess and have a release on both the old system and the new one.

A Pokemon launch title would guarantee one of the most (if not the most) successful launches in video game history.

For that reason, I could certainly see Nintendo at least looking into the possibility of delaying Gen V a few months to have GF port what they can, and possibly introduce a few new plot elements to make use of the 3D screen.

This announcement really terrifies me. They've announced Generation V for the original DS, but there's always a chance that they could push it back as a title exclusive to this DS successor and I just don't want to buy another $200+ handheld that I'll only play Pokemon games on. Hoping that Generation V (or at least the first two games, which are all I care about anyway) at the very least go the way of Twilight Princess and have a release on both the old system and the new one.

I loved Twilight Princess being released on Gamecube - saved my bacon as then, Wiis were always sold out. Difference there is, the Wii and GC versions were a simultaneous release iirc , these will be separated by at least 4 months (November 2010 latest for Gen V DS Release, March 11th rough date for 3DS).

For Gen V to be announced now, it must be late in development. If they were planning on using the DSi-3D-Camera-Trick already, it probably won't take them long to port the games onto the 3DS.

I still don't think this will be as a big a success as the DS, not unless Nintendo a) prices it right, b) gets games to works with the gimmick.

Rather than stereoscopic 3D, this will probably be similar to the iPhone app that uses movement of the device as "perspective", spoofing an image to appear 3D (it works too, btw)

The problem there: It relies on motion. If the 3DS is to rely on motion, it will make it unfriendly for outdoor gaming... which is a large appeal of portable gaming. Ever been on a bus ride that doesn't shake like crazy hitting a slight bump or imperfection in the road? That will jar the game tremendously. Not to mention that the act of pressing a button, or using the stylus also causes the unit to shift. All of this could effect gameplay.

I know Nintendo is not ignorant to that, they aren't stupid. But, I hope they are not blinded by the DS' success to just go ahead and tack things on regardless.

I'm still not very fond of this whole idea though. I, as well as many others I'm sure, are made dizzy or even nauseous with 3D effects like this...

I also can't help but think of the Virtual Boy. This is much different of course, but the idea is the same. A gimmick of 3D.

As for the Gen 5 debacle: Remember, Gold and Silver were Game Boy games with GBC enhancement. And Crystal still was released to GBC with the GBA coming. Pokemon games releasing at the end of a handheld's life isn't an alien concept. Only Gens 3 and 4 remained exclusive to one handheld device. (Gen 1 was cross compatible with the Super Game Boy)

Last edited:
The problem there: It relies on motion. If the 3DS is to rely on motion, it will make it unfriendly for outdoor gaming... which is a large appeal of portable gaming. Ever been on a bus ride that doesn't shake like crazy hitting a slight bump or imperfection in the road? That will jar the game tremendously. Not to mention that the act of pressing a button, or using the stylus also causes the unit to shift. All of this could effect gameplay.

Plus it'll be hard to play in the dark I would think. I for one play DS sometimes at night before sleeping, and I don't want a light on to keep me awake for too long.

As for the Gen 5 debacle: Remember, Gold and Silver were Game Boy games with GBC enhancement. And Crystal still was released to GBC with the GBA coming. Pokemon games releasing at the end of a handheld's life isn't an alien concept. Only Gens 3 and 4 remained exclusive to one handheld device. (Gen 1 was cross compatible with the Super Game Boy)
Use the camera trick in DS versions as a gateway, then make the third version 3DS exclusive?

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom