• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

North Korea Threatens to Nuke Washington Over Sanctions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well if they decide to launch said missles out of NK territory then it looks like good night for NK. even if NK launches a shell attack like they did over the past years that will be enough to have the war back into full swing. this is really a save face attempt by the north by making all of these threats and getting no action.. Kim will either have to attack or risk being shamed by being the boy who cried wolf. if th north decides to attack another South korean vessel then that would be enough to gt SK to defend themselves and get the USA and possibly Japan involved as well

North Korean artillery still is years from being able to hit the US mainland even if we weren't to neutralize their missiles; I still regard this as an empty threat for the most part. They're just seeking to draw attention now that the last Kim's militant stupidity has turned even their south brothers against them. Even if they do try to pull something, they're not a major threat to the US or its allies save the South Koreans and Japanese. And they have very little incentive to attack the latter anyway. Though... I don't know, their leader is a crazed schizophrenic who acts literally like an 11-year old put in charge of a half arsed nation so who knows what stupdity they'll pull when they get desperate. either way, they're headed for the dump faster than a tsunami wave.

North Korean artillery still is years from being able to hit the US mainland even if we weren't to neutralize their missiles; I still regard this as an empty threat for the most part. They're just seeking to draw attention now that the last Kim's militant stupidity has turned even their south brothers against them. Even if they do try to pull something, they're not a major threat to the US or its allies save the South Koreans and Japanese. And they have very little incentive to attack the latter anyway. Though... I don't know, their leader is a crazed schizophrenic who acts literally like an 11-year old put in charge of a half arsed nation so who knows what stupdity they'll pull when they get desperate. either way, they're headed for the dump faster than a tsunami wave.

North Korea could go along the lines of saying "we want reparations for what Japan did back in history to us" and use past atrocities as "justification" for attacking them. That said though, I doubt the US government would let it get to the point where Kim Jong-Un would press that button to do that before they acted. The situation does seem to be getting more worrying though, especially since the West is now trying to call NK's bluffs and NK isn't going out silently...

Considering their past tantrums thse couple of years have largely been concentrated almost entirely around the South and its military allies (US), I don't think they have the balls to or even a halfway palatable excuse to attack Japan in the first place. Not only would it be out of nowhere, it'd also be a worthless way to go out with a bang, since Japan is basically part of "Neo-Nato" and publicly denounced North Korea's aggressive advances, but bombing them incites a US counterattack for sure, and in a straight out war those idiots have no chance. Plus, the Japanese aren't the most powerful military in the world, but they're not a bunch of pussies who would just stand by and let a nuclear-armed, communist nation drop bombs on them without getting some ass kicked in return. Russia isn't going to fight for them, and even the Chinese wouldn't shield them in the event that they get in a tussle with the USA.

I'm not even sure they'd even get that far to begin with, as they seem to be running their mouths farther than they have the man to back it up.

I'm not saying that Japan are weak or anything like that or that that's what they will do, I'm just saying that NK seem to be getting desperate and a last ditch "pointless" thing like that isn't something I'd rule out.

They have less incentive to attack Japan than they do the South or Americans and at the rate they're going they won't develop the necessary technology to do anything against the latter. The whole reason they're acting like petulant, attention whoring children is because they can't keep their oh-so-mighty regime going without the money they used to get hoarded over to them in the first place.

Since thier new "test zone" is on the coast of NK, im betting that this so called "test Launch" will "accidentally" go off corse and hit either SK, or Japan.

The DPRK has been threatened countless times by the US and its running dogs. They were threatened repeatedly during the Korean War of US nuclear strikes, US nukes used to be in south Korea aimed at the north and the constant US military exercises in the area are unnecessary provocations. Good on north Korea for standing up for themselves, they have a right to be angry. Surely everyone must be able to see the hypocrisy of the UN sanctions. America has no business on the Korean peninsula.

Anyway, conflict won't occur unless the US or its lackeys force it. There's nothing to fear from the DPRK; I only know of one country degenerate enough to use nuclear weapons on fellow human beings.

Kim Jong Un, is that you?

The DPRK has been threatened countless times by the US and its running dogs. They were threatened repeatedly during the Korean War of US nuclear strikes, US nukes used to be in south Korea aimed at the north and the constant US military exercises in the area are unnecessary provocations. Good on north Korea for standing up for themselves, they have a right to be angry. Surely everyone must be able to see the hypocrisy of the UN sanctions. America has no business on the Korean peninsula.

Anyway, conflict won't occur unless the US or its lackeys force it. There's nothing to fear from the DPRK; I only know of one country degenerate enough to use nuclear weapons on fellow human beings.

This may be a couple weeks too late, but as someone who studies World War II extensively, the sheer ignorance of this statement is mind blowing to me. The U.S. was faced with three choices in Summer 1945 with respect to Japan. They could try to find some way to make Japan surrender without an invasion, they could invade the islands directly, or they could form a long term siege of the entire country, during which the Soviet Union would have themselves invaded the home islands. The U.S. wasn't about to do the last, as the fight had progressed too far and too close to Japan for that. So it was either invade, or bomb.

The U.S. had at that point been successful in a lethal firebombing campaign. After the capture of Iwo Jima in late March 1945, these were even more successful as the Japanese mainland was in range of U.S. fighter planes. However, Japan was not surrendering, despite having effectively lost their ability to resist coherently following the defeat at the Battle of Leyte Gulf and their shipping lanes strangled by the U.S. Navy's presence.

Then came the Battle of Okinawa. Okinawa had significance as a potential marshaling point for an invasion of the home islands, so the U.S. military made plans to take it. It was an unmitigated bloodbath, and it was a horribly difficult battle. Kamikaze attacks from the home islands were frequent, and the island's garrison was fighting ferociously. Some 110,000 Japanese soldiers and 30,000-100,000 civilians were killed, the civilians either committing suicide with the soldiers, or caught in the crossfire of artillery and gunfire from both sides. The Japanese refused to surrender until they lost all defensive positions and their commander had committed ritual suicide. In fact, the Battle of Okinawa saw the only surrender of soldiers larger than a few hundred out of such a large garrison; other garrisons were often killed almost to the man.

What then, could the U.S. expect from an invasion of the home islands? The soldiers were not going to surrender, and they could expect suicide attacks from civilians on a massive scale; there was footage taken at that time of young girls being taught how to use swords, and one civilian later gave an interview detailing that she had been instructed to kill soldiers using a tool for skewering meat. An invasion of the home islands would have made all previous battles in WWII, even those in Russia, look tame by comparison. There were no estimates of deaths that didn't result in the count of millions.

Along comes the Manhattan Project. The idea was to use a weapon that would break Japan's will to fight to avoid a bloodbath. They made a decision to drop the Bomb to try and coax a surrender out of Japan without needing to kill millions. So they did. Japan did not surrender after the first. They did after the second, but only because Emperor Hirohito ordered them to; there were those in Japan's high command that did not want to surrender and some of them launched an unsuccessful coup to prevent it. Yes, Little Boy and Fat Man caused a terrible loss of life, but it was infinitely smaller than the loss of life that would have resulted from a full blown invasion.

As far as Korea goes, the U.S. was fighting at the time to protect both their troops stationed in the Far East as well as contain the Soviet Union, who was going to use Korea for hegemony. China's involvement came because they feared an invasion of China which historically came from Manchuria.

Kim Jong Un, is that you?

They're catching on to me I see :)

And the comment above from Lord Naarghul, I'd hardly call disagreeing with atomic bombings mind blowing or sheer ignorance. It's an opinion (and not an obscure one), and as I stated in the nuclear bomb thread in the politics section a right or wrong answer will never be ultimately found as there is always going to be firm arguments on both sides and questions of morals and so on come in. We've all heard the basic two sides of things on this issue, one of which you kindly provided. My view is against the nuclear bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, you can have a different one, that's okay. Though whether you agree with it or not; as someone who claims to have some knowledge of the area you would know that there is not a small opinion that it was a wrong and therefore I am puzzled to what was so "mind blowing". I'm not saying anything new. The point I was making in that which you've quoted me was related to the current Korean situation and the nuclear involvement and views in that. It was sort of like an observation that the DPRK is being criticized for its nuclear ambitions by a country (many countries obviously) who indulges and has actually used them themselves.

Last edited:
The point I was making in that which you've quoted me was related to the current Korean situation and the nuclear involvement and views in that. It was sort of like an observation that the DPRK is being criticized for its nuclear ambitions by a country (many countries obviously) who indulges and has actually used them themselves.

Yes they are, but the U.S. in it's use of Nuclear Weapons were in a attempt to keep from having to land troops in Japan which would have taken millions of lives. North Korea in it's goal to get Nuclear Weapons are not only used to scare the hell out of the countries around them, by possibly engaging in a unprovoked bombing of them. But to also ship them out to the highest bidder like Iran and Syria, who in turn could use them or give them to terror groups to engage in larger mass murder. Trying to put the U.S. actions: a attempt to bring a speedy end to the war, in line with North Korea's actions: engage in acts of terror and ship them off to other countries so they can engage in acts of terror. Is just a utterly false moral equivalency.

Anyway, to go back to the original quoted post, I think we can now agree that conflict will occur, not because of "the US or its lackeys force it" but because Kim Jong Un is pushing it to the brink, and possibly over it if the warnings about tomorrow are right.

Last edited:
I've said this before, and I'll say it again. The only way North Korea could possibly nuke Washington is if they hijack a submarine and suicide-bomb a nearby port after several days of non-stop sailing. We've seen exactly how well their missiles do, or don't for that matter.

$20 bucks says they nuke themselves by accident.

I've said this before, and I'll say it again. The only way North Korea could possibly nuke Washington is if they hijack a submarine and suicide-bomb a nearby port after several days of non-stop sailing. We've seen exactly how well their missiles do, or don't for that matter.

$20 bucks says they nuke themselves by accident.

Well they would have to get out of the sea of Japan ( which is occupied and the other gulf on the other side which also is right along in a One way area which has allied ships ) so i think thats out of the question and if they have such a plot and use a Chinese vessel to get into the US port then that would look REALLY REALLY bad for China

The point I was making in that which you've quoted me was related to the current Korean situation and the nuclear involvement and views in that. It was sort of like an observation that the DPRK is being criticized for its nuclear ambitions by a country (many countries obviously) who indulges and has actually used them themselves.

Yes they are, but the U.S. in it's use of Nuclear Weapons were in a attempt to keep from having to land troops in Japan which would have taken millions of lives. North Korea in it's goal to get Nuclear Weapons are not only used to scare the hell out of the countries around them, by possibly engaging in a unprovoked bombing of them. But to also ship them out to the highest bidder like Iran and Syria, who in turn could use them or give them to terror groups to engage in larger mass murder. Trying to put the U.S. actions: a attempt to bring a speedy end to the war, in line with North Korea's actions: engage in acts of terror and ship them off to other countries so they can engage in acts of terror. Is just a utterly false moral equivalency.

Anyway, to go back to the original quoted post, I think we can now agree that conflict will occur, not because of "the US or its lackeys force it" but because Kim Jong Un is pushing it to the brink, and possibly over it if the warnings about tomorrow are right.

I'll try to keep my answer linked to the DPRK. I agree with you that nuclear weapons are very scary and any country in some sort of opposition to a nuclear state can have something to feel concerned about. Part of having them is a deterrent and another is bullying power (among others still) I believe, and the DPRK will try and use these points just as other countries will. Saying that north Korea will sell nuclear weapons and north Korea actually selling their nuclear weapons are very different things and the former should not be confused with the latter. Fortunately I know the US would never get involved in any questionable arms deals :). I'm not comparing the bombing of Japan with your belief of north Korea selling nuclear weapons. I oppose nuclear weapons in all countries but I can't stand the hypocrisy of one special group of countries having them (and I don't just mean the US) and then declaring which other countries can and can't have them. There's an unfair double-standard there, they should all have to follow the same rules. I don't think north Korea should be punished for doing just what many other countries also do and that's part of the reason why they're so frustrated and angry.

I'll try to keep my answer linked to the DPRK. I agree with you that nuclear weapons are very scary and any country in some sort of opposition to a nuclear state can have something to feel concerned about. Part of having them is a deterrent and another is bullying power (among others still) I believe, and the DPRK will try and use these points just as other countries will. Saying that north Korea will sell nuclear weapons and north Korea actually selling their nuclear weapons are very different things and the former should not be confused with the latter.

North Korea has been seen working with both Iran and Syria in their use of creating nuclear facilities to create Nuclear Weapons, so saying that they are not selling their knowledge and work would be incorrect.

"The photographs showed workers from North Korea at the site, and the reactor, from the inside, had many of the same engineering elements as the North Korean reactor in Yongbyon."

How Israel Secretly Bombed a Suspected Syrian Nuclear Facility : The New Yorker

Fortunately I know the US would never get involved in any questionable arms deals :).

How many times has the U.S. set up nuclear weapons for rogue states?

I'm not comparing the bombing of Japan with your belief of north Korea selling nuclear weapons. I oppose nuclear weapons in all countries but I can't stand the hypocrisy of one special group of countries having them (and I don't just mean the US) and then declaring which other countries can and can't have them. There's an unfair double-standard there, they should all have to follow the same rules. I don't think north Korea should be punished for doing just what many other countries also do and that's part of the reason why they're so frustrated and angry.

Let me ask you this, if the law allows a person to own a weapon, say a shotgun, or a hand gun, does that mean that both the sane family man, and the psychopath that threatens everyone's lives, should both be allowed to own weapons? No of course not, it is not hypocrisy or a double standard to work to keep nuclear weapons out of the hands of those who would use them for ill such as North Korea, Syria, and Iran. It's called logic.

I'll try to keep my answer linked to the DPRK. I agree with you that nuclear weapons are very scary and any country in some sort of opposition to a nuclear state can have something to feel concerned about. Part of having them is a deterrent and another is bullying power (among others still) I believe, and the DPRK will try and use these points just as other countries will. Saying that north Korea will sell nuclear weapons and north Korea actually selling their nuclear weapons are very different things and the former should not be confused with the latter. Fortunately I know the US would never get involved in any questionable arms deals :). I'm not comparing the bombing of Japan with your belief of north Korea selling nuclear weapons. I oppose nuclear weapons in all countries but I can't stand the hypocrisy of one special group of countries having them (and I don't just mean the US) and then declaring which other countries can and can't have them. There's an unfair double-standard there, they should all have to follow the same rules. I don't think north Korea should be punished for doing just what many other countries also do and that's part of the reason why they're so frustrated and angry.

North Korea has said that they would use said weaponry in pre-emptive strikes as a detterent on contrys who they see as a threat for ending their reign of madness. Japan launched a Pre-emptive strike on Pearl harbor because they saw the USA as a THreat for ending their reign of conquest. Lokk what happened to Japan after they did that. It was not pretty... No Kim has to keep up his familys image or the people may wise up and possibly coup him. he is alos mad that the US isnt going to talk to him for his Pro NK plan

Photos and Video from inside of North Korea, and showing the true horror that goes on inside of the country from poverty, to hunger, to cannibalism has been smuggled out by a reporter desperate to show what North Korea really looks like.

Inside North Korea: Video and photos show true horror of Kim Jong-Un's evil regime - Mirror Online

I have to warn you guys, while the photos may not be graphic the description that goes along with them certainly is.

Lol at how the guy took time to laugh before apparently "screaming in alarm" when the guard points the gun at him.

Female soldiers? Jeez north Korea has sunk so low, what a crime, very newsworthy.

Penal labour? Plenty of countries do it, really nothing strange or unusual.

A homeless child? They're in every country in the world. I'm sure there would be some poor kids among the 50 million odd Americans living below the poverty line. However I know the very modest budget of US military expenditure couldn't be better spent though.

Keep up the war propaganda.

Lol at how the guy took time to laugh before apparently "screaming in alarm" when the guard points the gun at him.

Female soldiers? Jeez north Korea has sunk so low, what a crime, very newsworthy.

Penal labour? Plenty of countries do it, really nothing strange or unusual.

A homeless child? They're in every country in the world. I'm sure there would be some poor kids among the 50 million odd Americans living below the poverty line. However I know the very modest budget of US military expenditure couldn't be better spent though.

Well the guy was filming IN CHINA and if i noticed a psycho pointing a gun at me id run for the hills too.

I didnt thing HIGH HEELs were proper soldger attire because it is hard to run in thme and walk on some surfaces. Make me wonder....

Yes many countrys do have penal labor but not that requires one to carry rocks, trees and other heavy objects that require superhuman strenght is jsut regular work? thats why the Horse carrage and truck were invented and all sorts of other tortuous labor practies while the workers dont get lunch breaks or lunch at all for that matter

THe US government has programs designed to help people living in poverty. Yes i do agree the US defence budget could be managed better but when you have psycopathic extremists trying to kill you and wage nuclear war... you have people who get pretty mad.

WAR PROPAGANDA??? I dont see posters saying Kim-jong-il rides in the empty seat, a poster with Kims face saying "go ahead and take a day off". the "Propoganda" on the allied side is these first hand accounts while NK's involve videos of washinton ablaze, Posters glorifying their "dear leader".

Though if NK is an Utopian sociaty, why do they need death camps and it seems only the elite get fed because the farmers must give away their crops?

Yes how dare he freak out when his life is threatened!

You never read the description with the picture did you? The child was dying of starvation, while the Government was loading sacks of rice into the truck. Perfect symbolism for the plight of the North Korean people. Also in America just because you live below the poverty line, does not mean you are starving or homeless.

Yes, how dare a photographer try to show the plight of the North Koreans!

Anyway I am curious if you will acknowledge North Korea's latest move of aggression. Specifically that Japan will be "consumed in nuclear flames" if they dare try to shoot down one of North Korea's missiles in defense of their islands.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world...ble-as-it-declares-first-target-will-be-Japan

Or are we still to believe that it is still the U.S. "And it's dogs" and North Korea that is currently pushing for war?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom