• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Number of new pokemon

Well 386 is technically an even number, but I get what you mean.
Funny how you have two Generation 3 Pokemon in your signature..
o3o

i despise hoenn as a region but some of their pokemon were very well designed. tropius needs love though :( mega nannerbeard! goooo

At least 69 New Pokes, 72 if we get the traditional event trio. And if we get the pixie(s), that's at least 73. And we may get some like D/P. More post game.

Zygarge is 718
So probably 2 more event pokemon, so between 71 or 73.

I'm hoping there will be about 120 + new pokemon not including mega evolutions. However since it's gone Gen 1: 150, Gen 2: 100, Gen 3: 130 (maybe), Gen 4: 107), Gen 5: 156 and we're on an even number, I think we'll only get 110 at the max. Hopefully I'll be wrong though.

If Kalos is such a big Region that requires three split up areas each containing a specific handful of Pokémon, then I'd rather the abundance of that amount of Pokémon to contain older generational Pokémon rather than 150+ new Pokémon. Introducing 70 Pokémon is not too small but not too large, and in my opinion it's about time they toned down on the amount of Pokémon being introduced. We would've surpassed the 800 figure if they kept to the same trend they have set for every generation, 719 is a nice total amount of Pokémon.

It doesn't remove the focus from the new Pokémon if they have past regional Pokémon in the mix, if a player encounters an old Pokémon sure it's interesting but it's not what they're looking for, a new generation means new Pokémon and that is what players are solely looking for in these games regardless of how many there are.

On a related note, how many Megas do we know about, and how many do you guys think we'll end up with?

Less than 100 would be disappointing.

Indeed.

After B/W1, I am a bit disappointed that GF did not continue the "new region, all new pokemon" for Kalos' debut. However, if the latter is achieved then this can be pardoned.

Last edited:
Honestly, I prefer a generation where the new Pokemon aren't rammed down our throats every time we hit a patch of grass. Yeah, 69 Pokemon (giggity) is a real bummer, but wandering through the grass in Black and White made a lot of Pokemon a real eyesore and honestly, the expanded, three part Pokedex is going to be a breath of fresh air and will open up a lot of options for training. Actually, I'm pretty stoked to see what new moves older Pokemon can learn. Fairy is a very intriguing type and I want one on both my X and Y team. Plus, Z is a near lock in the future, so who knows they have in store for us, not to mention remakes. When this game comes out, and I complete it, I might write a review on my blog or something. I feel that passionate about this game.

All these old Pokemon better not effect the availability of newer Pokemon, i don't want spend hours running though grass looking for new Pokemon only to find Pokemon i've seem for years.

They should've pulled a Black and White and had only new Pokemon available at the start of the game.

Honestly, I prefer a generation where the new Pokemon aren't rammed down our throats every time we hit a patch of grass. Yeah, 69 Pokemon (giggity) is a real bummer, but wandering through the grass in Black and White made a lot of Pokemon a real eyesore and honestly, the expanded, three part Pokedex is going to be a breath of fresh air and will open up a lot of options for training. Actually, I'm pretty stoked to see what new moves older Pokemon can learn. Fairy is a very intriguing type and I want one on both my X and Y team. Plus, Z is a near lock in the future, so who knows they have in store for us, not to mention remakes. When this game comes out, and I complete it, I might write a review on my blog or something. I feel that passionate about this game.

Game Freak could have easily appeased fans like you as well as fans like me who appreciate an abundance of new Pokemon by simply including more new Pokemon with a mix of old Pokemon. I was following a post of some guy who managed to get the game early, and he expressed how annoying it was that he was continuously running into old Pokemon and new Pokemon were few and far between.

Given the time and state of 3D modeling, creating all new assets, higher quality cries and sounds, plus the new type. And we're talking about 649 Pokemon, I would understand, and expect, around 100 Pokemon. It's just unfair to assume we'll get another 150+ when GF had to build an entire new engine and assets to set up the future generations. This has been a massive undertaking. And I respect that. I know, my wife has taken animation, it's no easy road. Anyway, my numbers do include mega-evolutions. It's all new models, you know.

I've heard 69(out of all the numbers they picked THAT one?). Bummer, wanted at least 90.

Nintendo can't be bothered anymore.

I read today that some Director guy laughed at a fan when he asked if there would be a Majoras Mask remake.
Then they go and throw in a measly 69 new Pokemon, nearly 1/3 lower than their previous low (only 100 in Gen 2) instead they thought they'd just rehash some old designs and call them Mega. They know people will still buy these games so they don't care. Then add in the fact they've decided to charge you to transfer your Pokemon between gens, They've got really complacent.

Side note: this is my 151st Post :D

I've heard 69(out of all the numbers they picked THAT one?). Bummer, wanted at least 90.

Hey, I just came up with an interesting theory.

The currently known Generation VI Pokemon that has the highest Pokedex entry number is Zygarde whose number is #718. The last Generation V Pokemon, Genesect, is #649. Since 718-649=69, that means that there is AT LEAST 69 new Generation VI Pokemon, not a total of 69. There will probably be more Pokemon in the Kalos/National Dex after Zygarde as it seems like the trio master of Xerneas and Yveltal (its legend reference, its ability and its name) and saying it will be the last Generation VI Pokemon is like saying that Kyurem, Giratina and Rayquaza will be the last Pokemon in their respective generation National Pokedexes. Zygarde is probably not an event Pokemon (if it was, then the guy who leaked its Pokedex entry would have had no way to obtain it unless he did some hardcore hacking as action replay codes for X & Y aren't out yet) and event Pokemon tend to succeed non-event Pokemon in the national dex (Victini being the only exception and the Zorua line for only some time). So there will most likely be around five-ish event Pokemon that succeed Zygarde in the National Pokedex so the amount of new Generation VI Pokemon will probably be in the mid-70's.

Hey, I just came up with an interesting theory.

The currently known Generation VI Pokemon that has the highest Pokedex entry number is Zygarde whose number is #718. The last Generation V Pokemon, Genesect, is #649. Since 718-649=69, that means that there is AT LEAST 69 new Generation VI Pokemon, not a total of 69. There will probably be more Pokemon in the Kalos/National Dex after Zygarde as it seems like the trio master of Xerneas and Yveltal (its legend reference, its ability and its name) and saying it will be the last Generation VI Pokemon is like saying that Kyurem, Giratina and Rayquaza will be the last Pokemon in their respective generation National Pokedexes. Zygarde is probably not an event Pokemon (if it was, then the guy who leaked its Pokedex entry would have had no way to obtain it unless he did some hardcore hacking as action replay codes for X & Y aren't out yet) and event Pokemon tend to succeed non-event Pokemon in the national dex (Victini being the only exception and the Zorua line for only some time). So there will most likely be around five-ish event Pokemon that succeed Zygarde in the National Pokedex so the amount of new Generation VI Pokemon will probably be in the mid-70's.

I see we have to hide our posts, I'll do it myself this time!:

Interesting theory, but having under 90 pokemon is still a huge shame.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom