• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Obscure Pokémon anime trivia

So just a random thought, but I believe that Serena's home and Tracey's home are the only homes of any of Ash's traveling companions/classmates that he never went to. That assumes that Misty, May/Max, and Cilan all live in the gyms (but that seems likely based on context) and Mallow lives in the restaurant. Small caveat that we don't know which structure Iris actually grew up in, but we did visit both her hometown and her old dorm room. Ash spent a lot of time in several of the homes, so interesting (and maybe ironic considering the crush) that Serena's is one of the only two he never made it to. Interestingly enough we see Serena's home multiple times, but the Kalos crew never made it down farther than Santalune city. Coincidentally I only thought of this entire idea because I was thinking back on places the anime never visited that I was hoping for (Santalune forest being one of them). I always thought they might make it there in the fourth XY year I was hoping for, but who knows if that was ever actually the plan. In contrast we never even learned where Tracey is from! Tracey did become a live-in assistant to Prof Oak, and Ash has been to the lab many, many times, so if we expand to consider "current" homes then Serena's home really is the only one!

On a similar note, even though we have been to James childhood home(s) and seen flashbacks relating to Jessie's childhood, we never saw any current home for either of them until SM (but even the SM and Journey's locations were considered hideouts and not homes).

Last edited:
I still wonder who was originally supposed to Voice Brock before Eric Stuart was picked. Maybe that actor that played zelgadis originally in the slayers dub that disappeared off the face of the earth?

I still wonder who was originally supposed to Voice Brock before Eric Stuart was picked. Maybe that actor that played zelgadis originally in the slayers dub that disappeared off the face of the earth?
Daniel Cronin? Interesting.

They made the right call swapping to Amy Birnbaum, IMO, completely dodged stereotyping and looked carefully at the inner nature of a seven year old nerdy boy instead: regarding TPCi's Max pick, that is the EXACT voice I feared 4Kids would give him in 2003 (Kayzie Rogers' rendition) but thankfully did not.

Michael Haigney said that Eric Stuart was the one who suggested how to first do Psyduck’ voice
So Stuart is responsible for that iconic take? Good call on his part, I sometimes wonder if he’s the reason 4Kids kept half of the Japanese ending in M06 since it’s the only time he got to outright work on the production side supposedly for the dub.

Ash vs. Cynthia is the only battle in the history of the anime to use the moves of all 18 types in a single battle.

ETA: To be more specific,

Normal - Pikachu's Quick Attack
Electric - Pikachu's Thunderbolt
Fighting - Lucario's Reversal
Steel - Lucario's Bullet Punch
Fire - Gengar's Will-O-Wisp
Bug - Sirfetch'd's Fury Cutter
Water - Dracovish's Fishious Rend
Ice - Dracovish's Ice Fang
Dragon - Dracovish's Dragon Rush
Rock - Garchomp's Stealth Rock
Ground - Gastrodon's Earth Power
Fairy - Milotic's Disarming Voice
Grass - Roserade's Leaf Storm
Poison - Roserade's Poison Jab
Flying - Togekiss's Air Slash
Psychic - Spiritomb's Hypnosis
Dark - Spiritomb's Sucker Punch
Ghost - Spiritomb's Destiny Bond

Last edited:
The "To Be Continued" screen was extended by 3 seconds for the TPCi dub's run of Ash's Anime until SM, beginning in AG147. It was pretty much kept the same length in Japanese in the 4Kids Era of OS-late AG most of the time, and TPCi's Era of SM-JN however.

The only time the English dub never had any additional segments between commercial breaks was in the BF & DP dubs: in the 4Kids dub, WTP was the one for the first 6 Seasons & then Trainer's Choice for the last 2 they handled, while WTP returned in TPCi's BW dub and has stayed there since.

The last episode of Pokémon to debut/premiere on local TV in the US was "Pasta La Vista!" and the first to debut on cable was "Fear Factor Phony," while the first episode to not air on CN was "Alola to New Adventure" post-Kids WB.

4Kids actually kept someone's Japanese name as is, in the dub of Season 4, named Shonosuke:

Ash vs. Cynthia is the only battle in the history of the anime to use the moves of all 18 types in a single battle.

ETA: To be more specific,

Normal - Pikachu's Quick Attack
Electric - Pikachu's Thunderbolt
Fighting - Lucario's Reversal
Steel - Lucario's Bullet Punch
Fire - Gengar's Will-O-Wisp
Bug - Sirfetch'd's Fury Cutter
Water - Dracovish's Fishious Rend
Ice - Dracovish's Ice Fang
Dragon - Dracovish's Dragon Rush
Rock - Garchomp's Stealth Rock
Ground - Gastrodon's Earth Power
Fairy - Milotic's Disarming Voice
Grass - Roserade's Leaf Storm
Poison - Roserade's Poison Jab
Flying - Togekiss's Air Slash
Psychic - Spiritomb's Hypnosis
Dark - Spiritomb's Sucker Punch
Ghost - Spiritomb's Destiny Bond
Those aren't even all the examples for several of the types, either:
  • Normal also has Lucario's Double Team
  • Electric also has Pikachu's Electroweb
  • Fighting also has Lucario's Aura Sphere and Sirfetch'd's Meteor Mash and Detect
  • Steel also has Pikachu's Iron Tail and Milotic's Iron Head
  • Water also has Milotic's Hydro Pump
  • Dragon also has Dragonite and Garchomp's Dragon Claw and Draco Meteor, and Garchomp's Scale Shot
  • Rock also has Gastrodon's Stone Edge
  • Fairy also has Gengar's Dazzling Gleam
  • Grass also has Roserade's Bullet Seed
  • Flying also has Togekiss's Sky Attack
  • Psychic also has Spiritomb's Dream Eater and Togekiss's Zen Headbutt
  • Dark also has Sirfetch'd's Brutal Swing
  • Ghost also has Gengar's Shadow Ball

Ash's Snorunt/Glalie is the only Hoenn Pokemon not to be feature in any Hoenn Dub opening. Glalie is also the only Hoenn Pokemon who hasn't fought in any Battle Frontier battle.

Corphish is the only gen 3 Pokemon to make an apperance in Journeys ep 68.

The only companions Goh shares a Pokemon with are Brock (Geodude, Golbat, Pineco) and Tracey (Venonat/Moth, Scyther)

Sinnoh and Alola are the only regions Goh doesn't share a Pokemon caught by Ash. Goh owns (Caterpie line, Pikachu, Pidgeotto, Krabby, Heracross, Hoothoot, Taillow, Sandile, Roggenrola/Boldore, Frogadier and Fletchling)

Goh doesn't own any Psuedo Legendary or any Pokemon that can evolve into a Psuedo legendary.

Last edited:
Ash's Snorunt/Glalie is the only Hoenn Pokemon not to be feature in any Hoenn Dub opening. Glalie is also the only Hoenn Pokemon who hasn't fought in any Battle Frontier battle.

Corphish is the only gen 3 Pokemon to make an apperance in Journeys ep 68.

The only companions Goh shares a Pokemon with are Brock (Geodude, Golbat, Pineco) and Tracey (Venonat/Moth, Scyther)

Sinnoh and Alola are the only regions Goh doesn't share a Pokemon caught by Ash. Goh owns (Caterpie line, Pikachu, Pidgeotto, Krabby, Heracross, Hoothoot, Taillow, Sandile, Roggenrola/Boldore, Frogadier and Fletchling)

Goh doesn't own any Psuedo Legendary or any Pokemon that can evolve into a Psuedo legendary.

Welp... turns out i forgot Wurmple being shared with May lol.

Back
Top Bottom