• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Obscure Pokémon game trivia

This whole threads such a fascinating read! Here's my contribution:
In the mystery dungeon explorers series ( presuming this isn't tied in to one specific game) you can activate a cutscene if you keep fucking up the drenched bluff mission. Chatot will take you to wigglytuff claiming he's 'seething' with rage but in reality wigglytuff will give you some items to help with dungeons. ( This cutscene is mentioned in the manual to)
You can also generate a cutscene with Lapras in this game if you go back from a very uh, spoilery fight from the game.

20 Obscure Pokemon Facts You DONT know! credit to this video for this Other fact I learned btw! But there used to be a pokemon park during the gba area and there you could receive pokemon with exclusive moves ( example tailow with feather dance) there was even a chance they could be shiny to

In dppt, if you somehow delete all your Pokedex data after receiving a Pokedex, your party Pokemon will be re-registered as the next Pokemon of the same type you encounter. While box and battle sprites would remain the same, Infernape for example would be shown in the Pokemon summary page as "Rapidash" if the next fire-type you ran into was a Rapidash.
Not sure if this has ever been documented by anyone besides myself, or if it's possible to recreate... It's cool that this is what your game falls back on in that scenario though.
How the heck would you be able to do that?

In ORAS, there's a man who says he's "a man with no power" in Mauville City. Documents found at Sea Mauville show that his dejected state is somehow linked to what happened there.

Also, on that guy's balcony, there's the TM for U-turn. Dark implications, perhaps...?

I think he's talking about the man who gives you O-Powers? And about O-Powers guy, ORAS has shown his origins as the result of a fusion of himself with other men who had powers.

I... have no idea what is being implied here.
I think the U-turn TM at the balcony, combined with his depressed dialogue, could be taken as implying that he considered suicide by jumping off the balcony, but in the end, decided not to do so, hence making a U-turn on his balcony.
I think he's talking about the man who gives you O-Powers? And about O-Powers guy, ORAS has shown his origins as the result of a fusion of himself with other men who had powers.
Yeah. That's what he eventually becomes. And the Alola games establish the origins of the powers the old guys gave him.

How the heck would you be able to do that?
Through poor use of a Gameshark.

The Infernape -> Rapidash is a real example, it was the first battle I had following the glitch. I was pissed and daunted at the idea of refilling the Dex, so I deleted the save without experimenting further. Bad choice!

Have you ever wondered why Lugia is a Psychic type and not Water? Well, apparently, it was made that way because they simply wanted it to be strong, and in Gens I and II, the Psychic type was associated with strong Pokémon. That's it.

Also, Takeshi Shudo, who created Lugia, wanted it to be feminine and exclusive to the second movie, but neither of those things really carried on to the second generation, where it was not only added to the games, but was also made genderless.

Yeah. That's what he eventually becomes. And the Alola games establish the origins of the powers the old guys gave him.
It still kind of boggles my mind to think of just how, not only developed, but outright convoluted and bizarre the backstory for something as comparatively insignificant as Mr. Bonding and O-Powers is.
  • 30 years ago, a genuine, literal alien arrives on Earth
  • He meets a Solrock/Lunatone that becomes his ally
  • Eventually, the alien and the Pokémon part ways, with Solrock/Lunatone gifting the alien a set of "star pulses" (O-Powers)
  • The alien passes those star pulses on to a group of dudes from Hoenn
  • Meanwhile, in the Hoenn region, the Sea Mauville project is going under, and one of the managers involved becomes wracked with guilt for having to bear the responsibility of the project's collapse and the resultant loss of jobs, and despairs over being unable to change anything about the situation
  • Many years later, some kid in Hoenn meets the dudes who received the star pulses, and sends them to go meet that guilt-ridden manager
  • The star pulse dudes transfer their power to (and possibly merge with...!?!?) the manager, giving him a new lease on life
  • And so, you know, that's the story behind the weird dude who gave you O-Powers in X & Y - you know, just in case you were wondering
  • Oh and then another kid in the Alola region brings a Solrock/Lunatone to the alien being who has somehow ended up stranded in the desert with amnesia, and seeing that species of Pokémon again helps restore his memories, at which point he flies off into space. The... End?

Last edited:
It still kind of boggles my mind to think of just how, not only developed, but outright convoluted and bizarre the backstory for something as comparatively insignificant as Mr. Bonding and O-Powers is.
I can't decide if I love or hate how convolutedly bonkers the lore got in Gen 6. (Except PSMD. That wasn't bonkers, just convoluted.)

I can't decide if I love or hate how convolutedly bonkers the lore got in Gen 6.
Yeah, I know what you mean. o_O I think the way I come down on it is, "Well, it was fun as a change of pace, but for the most part, I think Pokémon is more effective when working in a simpler register and should probably not go so pants-on-head wild like that again. And also it gave rise to all those overblown alchemy theories that ran rampant in 2015/2016 so I'm still a bit bitter about that."

I think it's based of the fear of the unknown. The effects of poison is very well known, while darkness conceals what someone sees, ghosts can decide to attack or not, not every bug is safe to interact and is often hard to know immediately which ones can be dangerous.

I think it's based of the fear of the unknown. The effects of poison is very well known, while darkness conceals what someone sees, ghosts can decide to attack or not, not every bug is safe to interact and is often hard to know immediately which ones can be dangerous.
That was exactly my thought when I made the post. I should have been more clear on that.

Back
Top Bottom