• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Oddest HM/TM Compatibility

Regarding Wooper learning Ice Punch and Shroomish learning Focus Punch; I think it leaves more for the imagination, like Wooper using it's tail in stead, and Shroomish doing a sort of "Focus head Punch" lol. It's the only logical way to think of it. The one that surprises me (which has also been mentioned above) is Elgyem learning Steel Wing, the way it's animated in XY makes it seem like it's using it's psychic "cerebral" abilities to summon "wings" and deal the damage?

There isn't logic for every move though lol... Dodrio and Fly... Yanmega can't learn Fly...

Marill can learn Strength, yet much bigger and stronger Pokemon like Zoroark can't.

Dugtrio learning Aerial Ace always perplexed me. How in the world does a mole shoot out of the ground and start tearing up the sky, no big deal? Makes me wonder what Dugtrio's rockin' underneath the ground ...

Dugtrio learning Aerial Ace always perplexed me. How in the world does a mole shoot out of the ground and start tearing up the sky, no big deal? Makes me wonder what Dugtrio's rockin' underneath the ground ...

Makes even less sense when you take into consideration its Japanese name: "Swallow Return"

I was going to answer Nidoking in general but multiple people have already added that. Surf? Thunderbolt? Shadow Ball? Fire Blast? Ice Beam? Seriously, it learns everything.

Honorable mentions in the 'absurdly flexible movepool' category go to Lucario and Infernape. Both of them have absurd flexibility and type coverage (not that I mind, they're both favorites of mine)

In terms of weirdest single move to me, I think the fact that Charizard COULDN'T LEARN FLY in Gen I takes the cake.

Snorlax learns surf. A nearly 7 foot tall bear that weighs half a ton can learn surf. I still cannot.

Surfer-by-Tobias.png

Jackie-Chan-Meme-Template.jpg

Last edited:
Pretty sure the logic behind Pokemon that has a high fat content (i.e. Hariyama and Snorlax) knowing Surf is that they are large and they float on deep water, thus they harness their floatiness(?) as an HM move.

Makes even less sense when you take into consideration its Japanese name: "Swallow Return"

It's based on a sword move: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sasaki_Kojirō#Swallow_Cut[

Compare the description
Hence, the "Turning Swallow Cut" has been reconstructed as a technique involving striking downward from above and then instantly striking again in an upward motion from below.

to its animation
Aerial_Ace_BW.png

Which is why so many grounded Pokemon learn it - it's basically a type of slashing. So Dugtrio probably learns it for similar reasons it learns Night Slash and Slash (despite the fact it still has no visible claws xD)

Many things regarding that I don't understand:
1. Doduo/Dodrio and fly, just HOW??
2. Of all the pokemon that can learn surf but shouldn't, Rhydon really shouldn't, it's both Rock AND Ground type
3. Slowpoke line compatible with flamethrower, just why?

The reason is probably because Rapidash has a horn.

However, I hate that the Pokédex lying about Garchomp's flight capability (as in, the dex says it can fly, but it can't learn it), and the more logical "Garchomp used Surf!" (It's based off of a shark)

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom