• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Offical May Leaving or Staying Debate thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Max is not pointless. <_< A lot of what can be done with him has been done but the show would be boring if it was just Ash and May (and only Ash in the first series).

As for May, there is nothing to stop the format of Super Contests being used in anime Johto. It really depends on how much focus is placed on Hikari's plot. If the writers can fit May in then fair enough but if not then they have already set up her next destination.

I could possibly see the Hoso's return, focusing on May's journey's (occasionaly meeting old characters along the way in Johto).

Perhaps a spin-off in the near future isn't too farfetched.

EDIT: Thank you Fabuvinny, glad someone else likes Max.

Why do people keep listing the Hoso's as a possibility when that series was cancelled in late-Hoenn?

There is no production team to make new specials, you can't very well make a show if there's nobody to make it. There is also no indication of them ever making new side-story specials like they used to.

I don't mean Hoso's exactly, but I mean more Specials.

Where...how?

The only specials they make now is what PUSA demands, (Mastermind and a Mystery Dungeon special). The Japanese themselves haven't made a special in ages.

There is no production team to make new specials, you can't very well make a show if there's nobody to make it.
What about the missing-in-action Team Ota?
There is also no indication of them ever making new side-story specials like they used to.
There's little indication of anything at this point.

Well, Team Ota apparently is doing DP, so the teams who have been doing AG alot could do it....

Ehhhhhh........

Do we know that for a fact?
The only specials they make now is what PUSA demands, (Mastermind and a Mystery Dungeon special).
That's actually a good sign for future Japanese specials.

And I suppose we could bug PUSA for one if May does leave.

The Team Ota thing is not known by fact, but it seems likely.

Americans like May I believe, so PUSA probably will make a special that brings her back.

The point is I believe the Super Contests will be featured prominently in the next saga of the anime. Featuring them in oddball specials is not the same, especially with how Contests were shoved down our throats in Hoenn and Battle Frontier. GameFreak revamped them and they're treating them as a major feature of D/P. It is almost like they're completely brand new.

Another good thing is another quest hasn't surfaced, so there won't be three ongoing tournaments next year. We can make a good guess that Gyms will return and there are Super Contests....but there is no third quest. That's probably why Hikari is only advertised with the legends, they have no third quest to give her so instead they have her do something related to Team Galaxy and the legendary Pokemon.

I don't see anyone but May doing the Super Contests, and she DOES have the most marketable D/P Pokemon on her roster.

I do belive Super Contests will be in Shinou as well....

They could easily have them in Johto though...

I just wanna see Pokemon dance!

I think a strong point AGAINST them being in Johto is Drew just called them, "Contests."

He didn't say anything to make it seem like they were different than the ones they competed in. The writers know Super Contests are in the next games, so why didn't Drew or Harley call them, "Super Contests?"

Instead, Drew just said he's going to be competing in Contests in Johto, and didn't make any indication that they were different than the ones in Hoenn/Kanto. Therefore, Super Contests most likely aren't in Johto.

But that was before Super Contests were shown in CoroCoro....

I think?

If Super Contests are in the anime then I can easily see them still simply being called contests. Just with a different format like the change between Hoenn and Kanto.

If Super Contests are in the anime then I can easily see them still simply being called contests. Just with a different format like the change between Hoenn and Kanto.

Unlikely. The writers WOULD call them Super Contests to showcase the fact that they're in the new games. You honestly think they wouldn't?

The writers could have foreshadowed Super Contests in Johto but they didn't, and only had Drew say he was going to compete in Contests in the region.

May waves goodbye to him and says how she'll catch up to him someday, nothing about either competing with him anytime soon or about Super Contests were mentioned.

A sizeable part of me wants May to stay. Why? Simply the potentiality of having May and Hikari as co-stars. Ever since episode 2, we had exactly one female star - Misty and then May - and never more than one. Only the 4 episodes where we've been treated to the Misty/May dynamic stand out as exceptions, and one of them had the two split up for the large part of the episode. It's just something that's never really been done and I think it would add something interesting. And at the very least - in Hoenn, May's contest eps always impress. So it can't hurt.

Then again... how long can contests be exciting? We've already been told that Drew and Harley are gone. We've lost two exciting dynamics of May's character before we're even out of the gate. That's going to be felt pretty bad. I'm sure we'll get replacements - but the replacements will either be clones (inferior ones at that) or just plain inferior. It's a hard game to match.

I won't even discuss the stupid part of me that wants her gone for the tiny chance that Misty will come back. That needs no introduction.

Drew and Harley gone gives them an opportunity to give May an ongoing female rival for once.

I think the problem the writers ran into with Drew/Harley is it required May to face them in every Grand Festival. She faced the two in the Hoenn GF AND in the Kanto GF. Facing the same two rivals in every single Grand Festival would be repetitive, (not to mention she's beaten Harley four times now and she beat Drew in the Kanto GF), so it was probably time to give them a break.

The May/Drew rivalry is clearly unresolved though since Drew came back to wipe the floor with her, so I think Drew at least will return as her main rival after Shinou ends. Kind of like how Gary was absent for all of the Orange Islands, so to speak.

Will Scott do you think it's possible that Hikari could also be doing gym's and getting Gym Badges along with whatever she might be doing with legends, and Team Galaxy. and that Ash will be her rival? That whould be very intreasting, I don't see why they can't have 2 main charators getting Gym Badge's and being rivals at the same time.

Last edited:
BEcause watching the same Gym Battle twice is boring?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom