• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Spoilers Official Let's Go Pikachu/Let's Go Eevee Discussion Thread

and don't really have any gen 1 nastolga since megas are a gen 6 thing.

You say that, but back in the fair old day of 2013, I remember people on boards like this one bemoaning how the two Charizard and Mewtwo Megas were just pandering to Gen 1 nostalgia, and how it wasn’t fair for Kanto to get so many Mega Evolutions in comparison to Johto, Sinnoh, and Unova. I’d argue that the academic fact of which generation introduced them is overall less important than the actual images and characters that they’re connected to. The latter is something that the general public will actual care about (or be aware of in the first place).

While we're on the topic of megas, are we all just going to forget how cruel mega evolutions are to the Pokémon that undergo them?

Pokémon battles themselves are painful for the Pokémon that participate in them, but the power of friendship overwhelms all of that. Same for Mega Evolution. Classic schmaltz.

Considering that they were willing to give Giovanni a mewtwo, I think they are fine with integrating him into the Rocket storyline.
They gave Rainbow Rocket Giovanni a Mewtwo. His whole shtick is being from an alternate timeline.

Not saying this "rumors" are true but they're triying to reference the anime series with LG so I wouldn't be surprised Mewtwo, Mr. Fuji and Team Rocket get some correlation and such. Origins (and the first Pokémon movie) toyed with this a bit, as well as Emerald with that Mr. Fuji's sign in Faraway Island.

I can imagine a connection forming between Fuji and Team Rocket, but that would mean Team Rocket already had Mewtwo at its creation, and with a host of Dark-types in their arsenal. (given the point about Alolan Ratata) Losing Mewtwo and seeking out a type it was weak to when they already had plenty of it just doesn't make sense.

They gave Rainbow Rocket Giovanni a Mewtwo. His whole shtick is being from an alternate timeline.

Just to play devil’s advocate... these games are an alternate timeline.

On a more serious note, I would point out that the reason why casually throwing a Mewtwo onto Giovanni’s team is such a readily acceptable thing to do is largely because the anime has cultivated such a strong public perception of Mewtwo being linked to Giovanni and Team Rocket. Not to mention, we have an AU remake of the first movie coming up next year, which could very well reinforce that notion.

I don't care what they do story-wise because these games don't reflect the original story. The rival business has cemented that.

I like Mewtwo's anime story, but Fuji's counterpart is very different. Not to mention that Tajiri could have incorporated a hint of it into Yellow or even GS if he'd wanted.

You say that, but back in the fair old day of 2013, I remember people on boards like this one bemoaning how the two Charizard and Mewtwo Megas were just pandering to Gen 1 nostalgia, and how it wasn’t fair for Kanto to get so many Mega Evolutions in comparison to Johto, Sinnoh, and Unova. I’d argue that the academic fact of which generation introduced them is overall less important than the actual images and characters that they’re connected to. The latter is something that the general public will actual care about (or be aware of in the first place).

I guess I look at it differently then you. The pandering it's self is not nostalgic. For example Charizard is nostolgic for me but mega Charizard is not. Sure mega Charizard panders to my nostalgia of Charizard, but the mega does not automatically become nostalgic.

I'm also in a strange place when it comes to all the pandering as well. I've been a Pokémon fan since gen 1 but other then skipping gen 3 I've been with it the whole wild ride. I complain about gen 1 pandering (mostly cus I want gen 4 remakes at some point as well) but every time they actually do the pandering I find myself oddly ok with it because of course I still do have nostalgia for gen 1.

Even with all that in mind though my nostalgia for gen 1 is a black and white screen with poorly disigned sprites (really poorly disigned) and poorly thought out type machups, and stats. I have a love for the gen 1 Eeveelutions and the gen 1 starters, but when someone says gen 1 I really don't think of the megas. So naturally I thought it was odd that they were even in this game at all cus it might have been nostalgic back during X and Y but not now.

I am not looking forward to new Megas, anyway. But it is not as if 3-5 new ones would require much effort.
I don't think so. GF doesn't just go around releasing whatever Megas just because they can. Look at Flyogon. The team couldn't come up with a satisfying Mega Evolution so they left it without one. Obviously, it takes great effort and care to create a cool Mega that builds upon its original form. I'd rather have no or few new Megas that have been carefully designed instead a bunch of uninspired ones. I think GF shares this view as well.

I love Mega Slowbro but to be fair is not a very original design.
That's why sometimes I find hard to believe they couldn't create a Mega Flygon they liked in... 5-4 years?

I honestly doubt some Gym Leaders get Mega's and others do not, since it doesn't make sense (Rematches are supposed too be harder, not easier, else its pointless too even have them) and i keep saying it: Giving Raichu or the Eeveelutions a Mega also doesn't make sense, since the starters cannot evolve (So, if your starter cannot evolve, why would your rivals, this also makes no sense) and i am still convinced we get trademarks for every Kanto Pokemon eventually before the games come out, since they expire in 2019.

I'm pretty sure that Trace's starter will evolve just as Blue's Eevee did in Yellow. It doesn't even follow him.

That said, any new Mega should ultimately be for players to use, and it'd be weird to overshadow the starters like that. But the list doesn't have to pertain just to new Megas, as evidenced by the 2013 list.

I think? I mean they could have done a lot of megas and finally decided in which game they would appear first. After all, Mega Latios and Mega Latias were on XY files.
I wouldn't be surprised if GF designed Gen 6 as a whole before deciding "XY will have these Megas and ORAS these others". They probably decided Mega Flygon for ORAS for obvious reasons (giving Aarune's Pokémon a Mega Evolution as Sugimori said) but it was eventually scrapped for design reasons.

Keep also in mind most Mega Evolutions in XY were post-game content, while ORAS had most of them during the main adventure.

Giving Raichu or the Eeveelutions a Mega also doesn't make sense, since the starters cannot evolve

Simple Classical-GF solution: Keep Raichu’s megastore exclusive to LGE and the Eeveelution stones exclusive to LGP.

The intent will be to use the wild Pikachu/Eevee with these stones.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom