• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pokémon Sword and Shield speculation thread (Updated June 5th, 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well Masuda and Ohmaori stated the theme is "The Strongest Pokemon". So the game might be about two warring legendaries, determining who is stronger.
And two warring Teams determining who is stronger and who is likely to rule Galar

But I feel like wolves do not naturally have a sword or shield design wise, and we already have Aegislash.
Neither do most of the cover legendaries, though-Lions aren't naturally like the sun, and bats aren't naturally like the moon. And we already had Solrock and Lunatone, and Espeon and Umbreon (based on eclipses).
EDIT: aside from X/Y, no other title branches away from colors (even sun and moon are colored according to the actual sun and moon colors)
Diamond, Pearl, Platinum?

Neither do most of the cover legendaries, though-Lions aren't naturally like the sun, and bats aren't naturally like the moon. And we already had Solrock and Lunatone, and Espeon and Umbreon (based on eclipses).

Diamond, Pearl, Platinum?
I just imagine the legendaries will be armored wolves. One with blades and one with shields.

What really has me confused is why did they call the games Sword and Shield?

Sun/Moon had the daytime adjusted depending on version, B/W had black and white morality into its plot.

Of course both of these titles were also inspired from their legendary Pokemon.

But I feel like wolves do not naturally have a sword or shield design wise, and we already have Aegislash.

Maybe Sword and Shield will have more meaning than just for the legendaries. This is what makes me believe the mecha/armor stuff. The sword legendary wolf could have sword armor and the other one a shield armor.

If that is false, I still think the titles are very odd. There must be an answer hidden somewhere in there.

EDIT: aside from X/Y, no other title branches away from colors (even sun and moon are colored according to the actual sun and moon colors)

I think it's interesting because the titles "Sword and Shield" can be interpreted in quite a few different ways. They can be seen as opposing forces (Sword generally associated with attacking, while shield is generally associated from defending from an attack) or as a unified one (the knight takes both a sword and shield into battle). Sun and Moon were meant to represent the passing of time and daily life in Alola.

I think given the whole "forge a path to greatness" tagline, and the "hero" codename for the games, the titles have to do with valiance, heroic battle, etc. If this game has a reworked "work your way to the champion" style progression then the titles make sense

I can also see it symbolizing conflict within Galar, though we'd need story details before saying anything like that

God, I would have bought Let's Go Clefairy in a heartbeat. I don't have any strong feelings towards modern Pikachu or Eevee, but if they'd chosen Clefairy or Meowth, I would have been all over it. Oh well...

I would love if the 3rd starter just stuck around the professor as a lab assistant, and you see them at various stages of the game, following the professor around. It wouldn't bother me that I can't fight it, I'd just like to know that it's like, being cared for and not just sitting around in stasis. That being said, I’m not really heartbroken if we don’t know where it goes- it just feels like a bit of a wasted opportunity.

I seriously hope there are no third versions this time. The idea of buying an incomplete game just to spend the same money 2 years later for the complete game is awful.
I want to believe GF learned the lesson after usum. I prefer DLC to ultra sword/shield.

Which lesson? The fandom bought it and will buy it anyways.

Aren’t lions associated with the Sun (in certain cases), and Bats with the night?

Wolves could simply represent the “warrior type”, like berserkers who wore wolf hide, these wolves would represent the sword and the shield.

Aren’t lions associated with the Sun (in certain cases), and Bats with the night?

Wolves could simply represent the “warrior type”, like berserkers who wore wolf hide, these wolves would represent the sword and the shield.

Yes, but Freak-Pokemon was talking about animals' natural appearance, not their symbolism. My point in giving those two as examples is that legendaries can use other ideas, such as symbolism of animals, in their design.

I think the Sword/Shield stuff could also be a way to represent being offensive/defensive. Since sports and competition look like a big things for the region (with the gyms being soccer stadiums, and the theme being "the strongest Pokemon"), the sword and shield may represent competitors going on the offensive or going on the defensive. Also, sports are typically a massive source of pride around the world, especially in the West, so the codename "Hero" might represent how grand finals winners are seen as "heroes" by the people that back them.

I don't want armor "evolutions," but I'd be okay with armor as a held item, that just simply shows the holder wearing it. For instance, a Flygon holding an armor item might be garbed in the armor and have some stat boosts, but no actual evolution/form change actually takes place. The Flygon would still be Flygon in all its glory.

Although I'd still vastly prefer regional variants much more. ;_;

there are safe assumptions that can be based off of information and patterns we have and can reasonably infer and there are bad assumptions that are built off of disproportionately emphasizing easter eggs or other circumstantial references.

Considering that GF has developed remakes for all gens up to Hoenn, I'd say it's a safe assumption to say that we'll get a Sinnoh remake (but whether we do this gen or not, it's a completely different question).

Considering that GF has developed remakes for all gens up to Hoenn, I'd say it's a safe assumption to say that we'll get a Sinnoh remake (but whether we do this gen or not, it's a completely different question).
Not to mention that they can no longer use the excuse of "Gen 3 is only remade because you can't played it on the DS/3DS. But Gen 4 can be played on the 3DS, so there is no need for a remake". Since the Switch can't played any previous gen Pokemon game(other than Let's Go of course).

Not to mention that they can no longer use the excuse of "Gen 3 is only remade because you can't played it on the DS/3DS. But Gen 4 can be played on the 3DS, so there is no need for a remake". Since the Switch can't played any previous pokemon (other than Let's Go of course).

Who's "they" in this situation? Game Freak never used that excuse (and to be honest I don't think they really care about what can or can't be replayed; they want people playing the newest game).

Which lesson? The fandom bought it and will buy it anyways.
It was not well received by fans. Someone thinks this was the reason for the announcement of sw/sh at e3 in 2017. It was an enhanced version on 3ds, not exactly what people wanted...

Who's "they" in this situation? Game Freak never used that excuse (and to be honest I don't think they really care about what can or can't be replayed; they want people playing the newest game).
Sorry about that, I should've phrase it differently. I wasn't refering to Gamefreak, I'm mostly talking about the fans who come up with that bullshit excuse and just assume that's Gamefreak reason for not remaking games.

Edit: "They", in this case some fans, can't use it as an argument against people who wants Sinnoh remakes anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom