• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pokémon Sword and Shield speculation thread (Updated June 5th, 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The female professor idea is mostly because there has only been 1 female professor in the main series games, Professor Juniper in Gen 5. I'm all down for more female representation, so it's a reasonable idea. (though I also would not be complaining if we got another hot male professor XD)

As for the two Professors, it's not a very well supported theory, more just the tiny things we can pull off from the map, and the names of the games. On the map in the starting area there are two houses that look similar, and both have purple roofs. That is the only real connection on the map though. Along with that, the names of Sword and Shield have probably given people who had the idea of two professors that maybe one of them studies Offensive tactics (Sword) and the other defensive tactics (Shield). I've only seen these two reasoning used once or twice though, so there may be something else, or it's just an idea.

My personal theory is that we only have one Professor, and the Professor studies something with plant life around the Galar region, and maybe how that affects Pokemon. This is based on how we get a view of the inside of what looks like the Professor's lab, and it is full of plant life. There is even a machine that is analyzing some of the plants.
View attachment 118047
I can't support this part as much, but I also think the Professor might have some sort of relation to the player character. The house that is the assumed player character's house is covered in flowers. It would make sense if the Professor also had a lot of the plants they studied kept at home. It's just a similarity though, and I can't support this part of the theory too much.
View attachment 118048
Kukui had several aquariums with pokemon in his lab but he didn't study water pokemon or the sea, so I think the flowers and the plants this time are just another way to contextualize the professor lab into the surrounding environment like the aquariums did with the tropical islands.

I've been out of the loop for the past two weeks or so, any leaks with substance yet?
We don't have any leak with substance apart for the one posted before the announcement, which guessed sword/shield and region and mentioned armored evolutions. And I wouldn't trust that either until further confirmation.
Early May is when we expect a new trailer to drop. I'm kinda waiting for it to see if it can get me hyped again and at the same time I'm kinda worried It would let me down once again. This time I have no expectations at all, so I will be pretty bored if it manages to be disappointing.

We don't have any leak with substance apart for the one posted before the announcement, which guessed sword/shield and region and mentioned armored evolutions. And I wouldn't trust that either until further confirmation.
Early May is when we expect a new trailer to drop. I'm kinda waiting for it to see if it can get me hyped again and at the same time I'm kinda worried It would let me down once again. This time I have no expectations at all, so I will be pretty bored if it manages to be disappointing.
I wouldn't really call that one "of substance" either... Armored Mewtwo was showing up in merch before it was posted, UK was popular in leaks, and Sword/Shield wasn't an uncommon guess for names.

I've been out of the loop for the past two weeks or so, any leaks with substance yet?
Nothing with any solid backing, but we haven't got any official information to back anything with so that's to be expected.

Scruffyjay posted a pretty believable leak, if you're interested, though I wouldn't hold my breath on its validity at this point. XD
Anyone mention this yet?
Doesn't look like much but I don't know.

I wouldn't really call that one "of substance" either... Armored Mewtwo was showing up in merch before it was posted, UK was popular in leaks, and Sword/Shield wasn't an uncommon guess for names.

Nothing with any solid backing, but we haven't got any official information to back anything with so that's to be expected.

Scruffyjay posted a pretty believable leak, if you're interested, though I wouldn't hold my breath on its validity at this point. XD
Because you don't think so or because you don't want to? Even if the region was in the air, the names weren't really that common and the all thing was really hard to guess in a single post.
Maybe armored mewtwo was in merch beacuse armored evolutions is actually a thing you know...
At the moment that post is right in almost every point (for what we know right now) this is why we should keep an eye on it and see if the last point turns out to be true.

I brought this up in another thread, but are we seriously not going to connect this potential armor evolution thingy to the Lucario movie where pokemon actually donned armor in an ancient war? Mewtwo isn't the only pokemon that wore armor.

I brought this up in another thread, but are we seriously not going to connect this potential armor evolution thingy to the Lucario movie where pokemon actually donned armor in an ancient war? Mewtwo isn't the only pokemon that wore armor.
Oh I'm fully aware of those, and they looked pretty cool honestly, but some would rather have pokemon untouched in the looks department. Other than regional variants.

Edit:
"Just got back from a Detective Pikachu press screening in Singapore. A post credit scene included the Galar starters and a new Pokemon with them that was like, a red badger in broken handcuffs, its fur had darker red swirls on it and it had no ears, stood slouched on hind legs. idk what type it was, the scene was just a quick gag about Pokemon from different regions."

Last edited:
Oh I'm fully aware of those, and they looked pretty cool honestly, but some would rather have pokemon untouched in the looks department. Other than regional variants.

Edit:
"Just got back from a Detective Pikachu press screening in Singapore. A post credit scene included the Galar starters and a new Pokemon with them that was like, a red badger in broken handcuffs, its fur had darker red swirls on it and it had no ears, stood slouched on hind legs. idk what type it was, the scene was just a quick gag about Pokemon from different regions."
Who said that?

Here's a good question. Would you the pokemon company show off the evolutions of the starters extremely early, so that you have an easier time choosing which of the three? Or have them keep them a surprise? Take note you'll more than likely see them on the net anyway
I think the idea is interesting, and I am actually having trouble choosing. On one end, knowing the starter evolutions early is a cool idea because then people who like to choose early already have a way of knowing what they want. It also could be used as a good marketing strategy, especially if these games really have this focus on "the strongest" which they have been talking about. (I can't remember if there was sources on this, but I have heard this mentioned. Might have been in the Direct). This theme could be used in marketing, and using the evolutions of the starters is a great idea, because starters and their evolution are usually more recognizable to more casual fans.

On the other hand though, having that info out so early does destroy one of the bigger surprises of the game, way before the games are out. Having Sun and Moon's final starter evos in one of the last final trailers was really cool because it was a way of making sure to pick up the extra hype for the game right before it came out. If they revealed the starter evos earlier, they could not use this tactic. Now we don't know if they are going to even release information this close to the game's release this time around, but if they do, starter evos would be a good thing to save for that, unless they can think of something better.

I think I would prefer seeing them early, just a little more than having to wait. As someone who loves to plan my team for Pokemon, and also wants to spend time focusing on other new Pokemon in the games, knowing the starters final evos and types earlier on will help free my mind of that kind of worry so that when I see new Pokemon I don't have to worry about things like "but what if Grookey ends up being Grass/Fairy, but I really like this primary/pure fairy Pokemon, and I also really like this other secondary fairy type Pokemon. I can't have 3 fairies on my team!" and I am sure others will be happy for that ease too.

I don't think that they would put movie content into the games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom