• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pokémon Sword and Shield speculation thread (Updated June 5th, 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Especially considering how American film companies tend to utterly screw up their live action adaptations of anime series. Ghost in the Shell suffered a terrible adaptation and it looks like Sonic is next in line. If Detective Pikachu really is all that good, I'm pretty sure that it'd be a first.

Still not impressed with their design choice on the pokemon, though- they pulled the "let's just give cartoons realistic textures" instead of also trying to give them more natural proportions.
Totodile only appeared in one very short photo or so and I just really wondered why it had a fur texture.
Totodile...shouldn't have fur. Geez.

Also not into the whole realism style in any shape when it comes to the monsters of Japanese media I consume. Can look cool to see art of Pokemon looking realistic but I honestly would've preferred it to stay just a fan thing.

Plus not fond of this live action trend lately. Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike live action movies as a whole but I definitely prefer drawn animation due to more creative freedom as things don't have to be/look realistic.
And these things have some bitter aftertaste of this idea that "animation/cartoons are only for kids". After LGPE I'd like a game to... Well, maybe "up the difficulty" is the wrong way to put it, but maybe make the single player part of Pokemon less of a rush.

I mean, especially with gen 6 quite a few features came that let you beat the game faster and more easily than before and help you compete with software created Pokemon in competitive play more easily.
And for me - who isn't really interested in that side - that's just a big downgrade.

I don't want to get an early Exp-Share with which I pretty much only have to let one Pokemon fight anymore. I don't want a rival, or in general NPCs, to throw so many potions and Pokeballs at me that in a casual run I just end it rich because I don't really need the prize money I earn.

I just want the damn game to be more engaging for singleplayer times again, and that more or less would include post-game stuff. My post-game isn't breeding & EV-training Pokemon. My post-game isn't battling people online.

Since shiny charm in gen 7 was given out for the regional dex...my post-game isn't even collecting anymore.

My post-game is to play another game instead that offers me more than ~30h (going slow) to be done with everything mentionable.

But with Sw/Sh's focus being "the strongest Pokemon" - oh well.

Totodile only appeared in one very short photo or so and I just really wondered why it had a fur texture.

Also not into the whole realism style in any shape when it comes to the monsters of Japanese media I consume. Can look cool to see art of Pokemon looking realistic but I honestly would've preferred it to stay just a fan thing.

Plus not fond of this live action trend lately. Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike live action movies as a whole but I definitely prefer drawn animation due to more creative freedom as things don't have to be/look realistic.
And these things have some bitter aftertaste of this idea that "animation/cartoons are only for kids". After LGPE I'd like a game to... Well, maybe "up the difficulty" is the wrong way to put it, but maybe make the single player part of Pokemon less of a rush.

I mean, especially with gen 6 quite a few features came that let you beat the game faster and more easily than before and help you compete with software created Pokemon in competitive play more easily.
And for me - who isn't really interested in that side - that's just a big downgrade.

I don't want to get an early Exp-Share with which I pretty much only have to let one Pokemon fight anymore. I don't want a rival, or in general NPCs, to throw so many potions and Pokeballs at me that in a casual run I just end it rich because I don't really need the prize money I earn.

I just want the damn game to be more engaging for singleplayer times again, and that more or less would include post-game stuff. My post-game isn't breeding & EV-training Pokemon. My post-game isn't battling people online.

Since shiny charm in gen 7 was given out for the regional dex...my post-game isn't even collecting anymore.

My post-game is to play another game instead that offers me more than ~30h (going slow) to be done with everything mentionable.

But with Sw/Sh's focus being "the strongest Pokemon" - oh well.
I just hope "the strongest pokemon" doesn't translate to "new overpowered and unuseful mechanic".
I'm still waiting to see why these games should be "the greatest pokemon games yet" and how they "challenged themselves to try new things".
I mean, if what they are keeping secret is just the new mega evolution/z move/alola form of this generation, my hype will never come back. I've played pokemon for so long that I'm kinda used to it. It's gonna happen and it's gonna happen around August, we know it.
I'm waiting for the "hey, this is how pokemon is a console game now", hoping that part of the marketing campaign exists and they will not treat these games as if we were still on 3ds just waiting for 80 new pokemon and a new mechanic. Cause if that's what they thought while creating these games, I'm definitively not on board.

If anything they're masters of marketing.
The Strongest Pokemon line will probably translate over to a new mechanic whatever it maybe.

One time someone mistook Charizard's scales for fur when it didn't have a single bit of hair on it's body, are you sure it was fur you saw?

Especially considering how American film companies tend to utterly screw up their live action adaptations of anime series. Ghost in the Shell suffered a terrible adaptation and it looks like Sonic is next in line. If Detective Pikachu really is all that good, I'm pretty sure that it'd be a first.

Still not impressed with their design choice on the pokemon, though- they pulled the "let's just give cartoons realistic textures" instead of also trying to give them more natural proportions.
Have you not seen the Sonic the Hedgehog trailer? Living proof that some designs should just be left alone. Otherwise you lose both charm and sense of realism.

I think you have to consider that they could not just make pokemon look anime style in a live action movie. They had to make them look so they could fit the world they are in. I think they've done a good job. The first look is always a bit of a shock but when you realize that those pokemon act exactly like their anime counterparts you can accept their look if you want to.
The most difficult part was to create an actual pokemon world and not a world which simply had pokemon in it. The movie may not be great but they did a good job, otherwise people would not call it the best and only good movie about a videogame.
I wish TPC had that courage with videogames too.

I think the Detective Pikachu movie looks awful, but that's solely based on how CREEPY the Pokémon look.

Last edited:
You sure that maybe they look creepy because many pokemon actually would look frightening in real life?
Yes, I'm sure. Because even the ones as cute as Pikachu look creepy/unsettling.

Last edited:
Real world animals usually don’t have every single hair/scale sticking out like the Detective Pikachu Pokemon. The movie manages to look more hyper realistic than real world animals imo.
Dogs, rabbits, occasionally cows. There's plenty of actual animals like that.

Dogs, rabbits, occasionally cows. There's plenty of actual animals like that.

Shorthair dogs and cats (which are the ones I usually see) don’t have that soft-toy like fur. Same for cows. Even though I live in a country famous for cows I haven’t seen one that manages to look like any furry 'mon from Detective Pikachu.

The Pokémon in it look like soft toys that became alive.

Psyduck could’ve looked like this, but yellow instead of being a stuffed toy:

Real world animals usually don’t have every single hair/scale sticking out like the Detective Pikachu Pokemon. The movie manages to look more hyper realistic than real world animals imo.
The Pokémon in it look like soft toys that became alive
Exactly why I dislike Detective Pikachu...

Last edited:
Which is why you should be careful while making things extremely realistic, otherwise they end up looking unnerving. Just look at Mars Needs Moms and the Sonic movie for examples of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom