• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pokémon Sword and Shield speculation thread (Updated June 5th, 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
PLEASE TELL ME THIS IS FAKE

Suppose leak of the final evolution of the fire starter.

I'm so sorry idk how to put spoiler warning
I posted that some pages ago, but the moderation took some time to allow it, don't know if everybody saw it.
Anyone knows something about it? It's like something they'd do, but I really hope it's fake.

I'm kind of sad that they didn't give us pokedex entries like previous games in the main website.
But they did?

I posted that some pages ago, but the moderation took some time to allow it, don't know if everybody saw it.
Anyone knows something about it? It's like something they'd do, but I really hope it's fake.
It’s fake. You can tell how old it is because it has a silhouette of the SM female protagonist.

Last edited:

Looking at these fanarts of the supposed evos, Grookey's final evo is butt-ugly of the bat. I can't expect something as adorable as Grookey evolving into...well, that! The nunchuck warrior fan art was much better. The second one, the arts for Scorbunny is literally just him being bigger and taller with barely any change, but looks cool.
Finally, looking at Sobble's fanart line, also pretty cool. Even though its just a lizard becoming a bigger lizard, I like the gecko/salamander design and Water/Poison type fits nicely. I wouldn't mind that being its final typing.

The only thing we can judge are the art style, which looks great and the graphics, which don't.

... :confused: . So you mean to tell me that the graphics are somehow as bad as, if not worse than the 3DS ones?!

I know they're not the BotW graphics. I know they're not Pokkén graphics. But to say they're not great? I'm sorry, but WHAAAAAT?!

... :confused: . So you mean to tell me that the graphics are somehow as bad as, if not worse than the 3DS ones?!

I know they're not the BotW graphics. I know they're not Pokkén graphics. But to say they're not great? I'm sorry, but WHAAAAAT?!
They are clearly not worse than 3ds (which is a low def console) but I have no problem saying they're not great, cause they're not. The switch can do waaay better than that. I was not expecting anything huge but low quality textures is something even Let's go got rid. Guys, it's not like I'm the one not liking them, it's a fact, the graphics are not great. The art style is good, not the graphics.

Hi everyone,
I'm new here but i also want to share my thoughts (and hopes) about the new gen starters!

• For Scorbunny, it's final stage may have Fighting/ Fairy/ Electric or Steel as secondary type. But i think it gonna be Fire/ Steel, seeing how the flare and the sound are like when the little bunny runs on that iron wheel in trailer. Fire/ Steel would also work well with the industry theme of the game itself, and maybe, the final evolution would be like a "sir/ gentleman" rabbit ?!
  • For Grookey, it may change to Grass/ Rock or Grass/ Fighting, or even Grass/ Fairy later on. But I hope for a Grass/ Fighting druid monkey with some bulky and high in Sp.Atk stat. It seems fun and new to me.
  • And final, that omg-so-cute Sobble :giggle: . Since a underwater chameleon is quite strange comparing to previous Water starters, i gonna go with Water/ Fairy for the final evolution. Some fairies are shy and want to hide from human too, right :-?
And hopefully, the final evolution of Sobble will be cool & beautiful like a combination of underwater Sceptile and Milotic. :))
I also had thought about a Loch Ness monster concept for it (both of them are like, can't be seen clearly ?), but GF better saves that Loch Ness monster for a legendary or mythical pokemon.

Last edited:

SM/USUM actually look pretty good once you bring them up to a higher resolution on an emulator, so that's more of a console limitation in their case.

Personally, it's not so much the graphics, but rather the artstyle of SS that I find a little dissatisfying in comparison to SM, LGPE, and also Town, Game Freak's other Switch project. I don't particularly like how the characters and Pokémon have this sort of paper-ish quality to them, that makes them look kinda 2D, while everything in the overworld is more realistic-looking. In the three games that I mentioned, particularly with the two Pokémon games, the look of the characters and Pokémon/creatures is more consistent with the artstyle used for the 3D environment (which is more on the cartoonish side than in SS), which to me makes the world feel more unified and authentic.

Last edited:
Look how fake looks this pokeball. It's litterally like someone edited the pokeball on paint and copy-past it on the frame. The pokeball has no shadow, the environment is cloudy and snowy but the pokeball is shining red. The switch can do better than this, trust me.

They are clearly not worse than 3ds (which is a low def console) but I have no problem saying they're not great, cause they're not. The switch can do waaay better than that. I was not expecting anything huge but low quality textures is something even Let's go got rid. Guys, it's not like I'm the one not liking them, it's a fact, the graphics are not great. The art style is good, not the graphics.

As the trailer said in the beginning, this isn't the finished product (the games look like they're in alpha or (at best) maybe beta). Plus, this is the first traditional Pokémon game on the Switch. Meaning that, just like with XY and DPPt, GF is testing the waters with Sword and Shield, trying to learn first-hand what the Switch is capable of, before they can see how to break its limits in Gen 9 (like they did with BW/BB2W2 and SM/USUM, which outshined their predecessors and took their respectiv consoles almost to the breaking point).

My advice until then: let's wait for the demo to be released before we judge the game's graphics based on early footage.

Look how fake looks this pokeball. It's litterally like someone edited the pokeball on paint and copy-past it on the frame. The pokeball has no shadow, the environment is cloudy and snowy but the pokeball is shining red. The switch can do better than this, trust me.

I don't really mind the outlines, but I'll admit you have a good point here, it really doesn't look like part of the scene and I really wish it at least had a shadow, that does bug me. It doesn't break the game for me, but I'd really love if they touched that up before release. It should at least cast a shadow!

Plus, this is the first traditional Pokémon game on the Switch. Meaning that, just like with XY and DPPt, GF is testing the waters with Sword and Shield, trying to learn first-hand what the Switch is capable of,

I thought LGPE were for fulfilling this purpose?

Even though LGPE wasn’t a traditional game, it used the engine of one. There’s code for abilities and held items, just disabled in there.

And no game so far has had a graphical change in the middle of trailers.

The entire point of getting a 2019 release with 2018 being LGPE was that Gamefreak can figure out things on the Switch first with a simpler game while banking on nostalgia.

Keep in mind this is still early footage. I'm sure they'll tweak and improve the graphics before release.

I don't really mind the outlines, but I'll admit you have a good point here, it really doesn't look like part of the scene and I really wish it at least had a shadow, that does bug me. It doesn't break the game for me, but I'd really love if they touched that up before release. It should at least cast a shadow!

Pokeballs did have shadows in the Gen 7 games, they'll probably add those details later on.

and SM/USUM, which outshined their predecessors and took their respectiv consoles almost to the breaking point

Witness! The true power of the Nintendo 3DS!

81.jpg

87.jpg

80.jpg

88.jpg

66.png

I thought LGPE were for fulfilling this purpose?

Even though LGPE wasn’t a traditional game, it used the engine of one. There’s code for abilities and held items, just disabled in there.

This could be just my uninformed/ignorant take on LGPE, but I always got the feeling that they used some assets from GO (especially in the cases of Pokémon models) and this is the first game where they actually use their own assets.

So this is the power of the Nintendo 3DS... :O

81.jpg

87.jpg

80.jpg

88.jpg

Weren't people complaining the their games had a tendency to lag (especially during battles) due to how advanced the graphics were (or at least something along those lines). Thou, to be honest, it could be that I'm just misremembering stuff...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom