• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pokémon Sword and Shield speculation thread (Updated June 5th, 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't like the of idea of people thinking pokemon being added in is cause of their tantrum when in reality this is what they plan to do all along. I don't want people to think harassing, insulting, and sabotaging them will get them things they want.

Way to lump people together. Disliking a video or signing a petition means you're throwing a tantrum and equivalent to people performing illegal activities? Come on.

I don't like the of idea of people thinking pokemon being added in is cause of their tantrum making a difference when in reality this is what they plan to do all along. I don't want people to think harassing, insulting, and sabotaging them will get them rewarded. This is why I'm arguing so hard against this, and actually trying to make people see reason.
Most people complaining are not harassing anyone. A couple of idiots on twitter don’t reflect on everyone else.

New interview is up:

No mention of anything regarding patches or whatever. Im not happy, but I will take what I can get. Guess this means starting over mostly with only some Pokémon I have, moving on to Sword and Shield. I'm clearly not going to get the game at release though, but later. I have other games now I'm interested in more than just Pokémon. That and I have a backlog still.

I was about to post that

On the Decision to Limit Pokemon Sword and Shield to the Galar Pokedex
Looking at some news that came out yesterday, there are some limitations on the Pokemon Bank. Only the Galar region Pokedex is only going to be accessible. Can you walk me through why that decision was made, and why you think it's important to have that limitation?

Junichi Masuda, Producer:
There are a couple of different parts to the thinking behind it, but really the biggest reason for it is just the sheer number of Pokemon. We already have well over 800 Pokemon species, and there's going to be more added in these games. And now that they're on the Nintendo Switch, we're creating it with much higher fidelity with higher quality animations. But even more than that, it's coming down to the battle system. We're making sure we can keep everything balanced and give all the Pokemon that appear in the games a chance to shine.

We knew at some point we weren't going to be able to indefinitely keep supporting all of the Pokemon, and we just found that Sword and Shield would probably be a good point to go back and reevaluate what would be the best selection of Pokemon that appeal to the widest audience while keeping into consideration the balance of the battle system. It isn't just going to be all-new Pokemon in the Galar region Pokedex; there's still going to be a lot of favorites that fans will be able to bring over that they've adventured with previously. But yeah, it was pretty much just balancing and getting this optimal selection of Pokemon for the adventure we wanted to provide.

and I can't believe some still hold a grudge against his Battle Frontier comment.
Why wouldn't you believe it?

Imagine a Hoenn fan, who has waited for a new Hoenn game ever since Emerald, and hoped it was basically Emerald but with up to date graphics and mechanics.

And then ORAS comes out and Masuda literally defines said fans as a minority that's just not worth the extra effort.

Of course I am still salty.

Last edited:
so I guess pokemon home will be like a hub we store all our pokemon in, and then each game from here on out will just feature isolated selections of different pokemon

I don't hate the idea tbh
I do, if you can only use that regions pokedex guess how often you'll be able to use some starters, and some legendary pokemon. You'll have to wait for that region to be remade again before you can even take that pokemon out of home.

so I guess pokemon home will be like a hub we store all our pokemon in, and then each game from here on out will just feature isolated selections of different pokemon

I don't hate the idea tbh

The only problem I could see with that is the confusion of trying got keep track of your transfered pokemon across multiple games. Its gonna take a bit getting used to.

Usually, in third versions and remakes, they make older starters and legends obtainable again. They've literally had a legendary overload in both ORAS and USUM.

If they are concerned about balance issues and letting certain Pokemon shine, then why don't they just ban all pokemon not native to the Galar dex from competitive. That way we can play through the game with transferred pokemon, but it won't affect the way they want to balance and build the competitive scene of gen 8. Since they are choosing pokemon for the dex based on theme, balancing, and popularity, then only allowing those pokemon to participate in competitive rings should be ok? Almost like banning certain legendaries and mythicals.

I wonder if the meta will now have to rebalance.

If they are concerned about balance issues and letting certain Pokemon shine, then why don't they just ban all pokemon not native to the Galar dex from competitive. That way we can play through the game with transferred pokemon, but it won't affect the way they want to balance and build the competitive scene of gen 8. Since they are choosing pokemon for the dex based on theme, balancing, and popularity, then only allowing those pokemon to participate in competitive rings should be ok? Almost like banning certain legendaries and mythicals.
I mean, even if they get banned from competitions and don't even fill any pokedex slots, that kinda makes them useless to have around.

The only problem I could see with that is the confusion of trying got keep track of your transfered pokemon across multiple games. Its gonna take a bit getting used to.

Probably there will be some kind of system in HOME that will allow you to see where the Pokémon has been transferred to, like “Current Location: Pokémon Sword”.

I think my strategy, based on what we know now, will just be not putting anything into Home unless I know it can move into SwSh (until they release more games that I can use my other Pokemon in). I have a complete living dex that I think is going to be staying in my Bank, and the only full teams I'll move forward (if any at all, I might wait because I like swapping team members around sometimes) are ones where all members can be brought into one game.

So far, I think Slurpuff, Vanilluxe, Sylveon, and Clefable are confirmed for SwSh, so whether or not I can carry my dessert themed team (my favorite of the themed teams I've built) forward into this next game will depend on whether Furret and Miltank are in the Galar Pokedex. Here's hoping...

A better idea would have just been not including any old Pokemon and starting from scratch.

Because like I said before, including some Pokemon, but not others angers people. Starting over and not promising they can trade their old Pokemon up would ease more people into it and like...not look like they're playing favorites with old pokemon.

Honestly, I don't like the idea of including Pokemon based on popularity mainly because it leaves certain Pokemon behind just because they aren't popular enough.
All they can do for reference is look back on pokemon used in competitions and tournaments. You still even see some competitive pokemon in the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom