• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pokémon Sword and Shield speculation thread (Updated June 5th, 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know about you, but when I think of a Pokemon closest to a Welsh dragon, I think of Druddigon.

Charizard has more in common with Japanese kaiju monsters than actual European dragons. And even then, that doesn't mean that GF couldn't have just designed a new Dragon-type anyway. They only chose Charizard for its immense popularity.
The welsh dragon is red, though. Druddigon only has a red head. And is also really ugly.

Charizard on the other hand is an orange european dragon (not sure what makes it more "Japanese kaiju" than european dragon...?) so it really fits the bill in every aspect, owing that orange is often included in the "red" descriptor.

Maybe it's Gigantamax form actually turns it into a form like that. A quadraped red dragon. Which would be glorious.

Also, I realized I mighty need I want to be in this game. I want an Ultraman themed pokemon. It'd be perfect for this game, especially if it can Dynamax.

The welsh dragon is red, though. Druddigon only has a red head. And is also really ugly.

Charizard on the other hand is an orange european dragon (not sure what makes it more "Japanese kaiju" than european dragon...?) so it really fits the bill in every aspect, owing that orange is often included in the "red" descriptor.
And rats are not purple. Crocodiles are not blue. Bulldogs are not pink. The list goes on.

What I am focusing more on is Druddigon's other physical traits which make it closely resemble a European dragon. It doesn't have to actually match the color because Pokemon deviate from that all the time.

And rats are not purple. Crocodiles are not blue. Bulldogs are not pink. The list goes on.

What I am focusing more on is Druddigon's other physical traits which make it closely resemble a European dragon. It doesn't have to actually match the color because Pokemon deviate from that all the time.
I'm saying that if the point was to evoke the welsh dragon specifically, then it kinda has to be red? The dragon's name is literally "the red dragon" in Welsh. It would be severely missing the point if it wasn't red, considering color is really the only thing that all depictions of the Welsh dragon have in common besides wings and a tail.

I'm saying that if the point was to evoke the welsh dragon specifically, then it kinda has to be red? The dragon's name is literally "the red dragon" in Welsh. It would be severely missing the point if it wasn't red, considering color is really the only thing that all depictions of the Welsh dragon have in common besides wings and a tail.
Wasn't druddigon's japanese name crimagon? Literally meaning crimson dragon? That literally means it is a red dragon?

Quick somebody write down this idea....A cricket pokemon that evolves with a kamen rider motif. Bug/Fighting

Can be an omage to Kickhopper, and with Dynamax Kamen rider J

Instead of recycling Charizard, I would rather that Game Freak designed a dragon Pokemon that resembles how dragons are depicted in European/English lore. Also, I would want this hypothetical dragon to be single-stage, it would be nice if the regional pseudo-legendary mon is something besides a dragon.

I do hope these mon are in the Galar Dex:
-Dratini/Dragonair/Dragonite
-Gibble/Gabbite/Garchomp
-Noibat/Noivern

Shifting gears..

I've thought more about it, and I think that the limitation of Pokemon allowed in the game and dynamax are the only two things I really don't care about. I know I said this before, but I just can't get over how dumb dynamax looks (the pokeball thing that is done when dynamaxing just looks childish to me). And with the limiting of Pokemon allowed in SwSh being transferred from older games, Game Freak better be loading the game full of areas to explore or things to do.

The bright side of z-moves and ME being left out of the game, Game Freak has given some value back to held items in battle. I kinda want the exp share to go back to being something that is a held item versus what it is in Gen VI and Gen VII.
Well Noivern is in.

Unless the devs specifically say that the guy trains a "a Pokemon that is likened to a Welsh dragon", it's all conjecture anyway whether the Charizard was inspired by Welsh dragons. I'm sticking to the idea of "Lol Britain and their dragons and Charizard is super-duper popular so gotta go with that."

Wasn't druddigon's japanese name crimagon? Literally meaning crimson dragon? That literally means it is a red dragon?
According to Bulbapedia-
"Crimgan may be a combination of crimson and 顔 gan (face) or 岩 gan (rock). "

So like many other pokemon, its name appears to be wordplay.

Man I am feeling like one of the only people in this thread who doesn't hate charizard. XD Not its fault that it's popular.
Charizard is automatically passed off as overrated these days. I see more love for Bulbasaur these days (specially on Instagram) and anyone liking Charizard on those posts ends up with almost brutal replies. People like to boast of their own starter choices by degrading others' and I find it a bit weird.

I like both Mega Charizard X and Y. Fite me.

I really applaud game freak on how true to life their games maybe making the most racist pokemon game ever and basing its region on one of the racist country in the world.
Nah im not talking about Nessa Im talking about how racist it is to cut half of the pokemon from getting to the region. Didnt even know about the nessa thing really
Racism (actual racism) is a serious and ongoing global societal plague that costs people their lives daily and makes the lives of others disproportionately difficult, but please continue to compare it to some of your 1s and 0s missing from a video game. I’m sure you thought you were being funny. Save those kinds of hyperbolic troll analogies for 4chan and YouTube, please.

More on topic though: I also like Charizard a lot but I am getting a bit tired of it. It had a big emphasis in gen 6 and to a lesser but still significant extent gen 7. It was even featured prominently in the gen 5 anime. I’d kind of like a Charizard break at this point in favor of some other Pokémon getting some love.

Charizard doesn't exactly scream "Welsh dragon" to me.
But it's orange which is as good as red

Man I am feeling like one of the only people in this thread who doesn't hate charizard. XD Not its fault that it's popular.
I don't hate Charizard, I actually like it (although I did prefer Mega Charizard X, but not like that matters anymore) but I still don't want to see it everywhere. Charizard gets its time to shine whenever gen 1 is involved (which, fairly, is quite often) but new gens should make their own additions shine more. Showing the champion with no Pokémon by his side wouldn't have been to bad for his reveal either, would've left the mystery of what Pokémon he uses. :p

Surely the new thing will be Gigantamax Charizard. Hopefully it looks at least good as Mega Charizard X.
I'm not really sure I like the concept of Dynamax and Gigantamax... Mega Evolutions were the perfect boost imo.
Pokemon growing giant looks cool with Raichu, but with most Pokemon it feels weird. Even Raichu feels not-weird because of the bias of it being my favourite 'mon and getting some focus.

I'm honestly out for blood if Gigantamax Pikachu is better than Raichu.

Though even I'll admit GameFreak is not helping the case of not-rabid Charizard fans by shoving it down people's throats again and again. I'll like more Pokémon get some love. Specially Raichu.
I always preferred Raichu over Pikachu for some reason, but with my first game being Yellow, you can imagine my disappointment when I was stuck with Pikachu. xD

What if SW/SH adds a new Ditto kind of Pokémon, though, and Leon uses that and in the trailer it was just transformed into Charizard? I mean, it would surely add to your popularity if you had a Pokémon that can do that, you'll easily have every popular Pokémon by your side for nice shots for the fans.

I don't hate Charizard, I actually like it (although I did prefer Mega Charizard X, but not like that matters anymore) but I still don't want to see it everywhere. Charizard gets its time to shine whenever gen 1 is involved (which, fairly, is quite often) but new gens should make their own additions shine more. Showing the champion with no Pokémon by his side wouldn't have been to bad for his reveal either, would've left the mystery of what Pokémon he uses. :p
Highfive because I preferred Mega Charizard X too. XD The only complaint I have with it is the shoulder spikes, but overall the design didn't look as bad as the arm wings.

I totally get that it's been given too much attention at this point, though. I don't think it's worth hating it, but I'm also not in love with the idea of it getting another form either- leave the poor lizard alone, Game Freak. Mewtwo too. They've had enough.

I always preferred Raichu over Pikachu for some reason, but with my first game being Yellow, you can imagine my disappointment when I was stuck with Pikachu. xD

What if SW/SH adds a new Ditto kind of Pokémon, though, and Leon uses that and in the trailer it was just transformed into Charizard? I mean, it would surely add to your popularity if you had a Pokémon that can do that, you'll easily have every popular Pokémon by your side for nice shots for the fans.
That... would be awesome. @.@ I've been wanting a new ditto for awhile now.

Also Raichu > Pikachu, just fact.

Pokemon growing giant looks cool with Raichu, but with most Pokemon it feels weird. Even Raichu feels not-weird because of the bias of it being my favourite 'mon and getting some focus.

Eldegoss, Wooloo, and Drednaw all look pretty good. At least I think so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom