• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pokémon Sword and Shield speculation thread (Updated June 5th, 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
XD So what they need to do is add seven of them instead of one to not be cutting corners? I guess that isn't asking too much, but it does feel a bit silly.
Not necessarily 7 facilities. The Platinum/HGSS Battle Frontier had 5 facilities instead of 7, and everyone still praised it.

I think people just like the diversity of having multiple types of challenge, rather than just one.

It's fairly simple. The Emerald Battle Frontier has 7 Battle Facilities.

Its replacement in ORAS, the Battle Resort, has only 1 Battle Facility: The Battle Maison.
Not necessarily 7 facilities. The Platinum/HGSS Battle Frontier had 5 facilities instead of 7, and everyone liked it.
All I'm hearing is quantity over quality, which I heard you hate (or maybe you love it which is part of why dexit exists).

My own two cents on the matter, as I only speak for myself, of course:

I don't have anything against Battle Tower/Maison/Tree. In fact, currently I'm prepping some teams for my USUM Battle Tree run! But, in a nutshell, these facilities lack the creativity and thinking outside of the box thought that went into several of the battle facilities prior.

This post would end up getting pretty lengthy if I went into the whole entire nuts and bolts on why I personally valued the Battle Frontier so much, so I'll sum it up with this: In Emerald, you had a Battle Facility that was based entirely on luck. You also had a battle facility that couldn't even let you command your own Pokemon, and it was based purely on natures and moves. There was a battle facility in which hold items were completely banned. I'm sure you see where I'm going with this. HGSS/Platinum's Battle Frontier offered something different, but still enjoyable nonetheless.

The tl;dr of it is that I miss all sorts of wacky restrictions that Game Freak could come up with simply to make the challenge more fun for me. I don't think there's anything particularly wrong per se with how things currently are (and heck, even the Pokemon World Tournament in B2W2 is an excellent way to spin things up, and I loved that), but I can't help but miss how unique those challenges were and that made challenging the Battle Frontier that much more fun for me rather than the typical "beat as many trainers up as you can" challenge. Yeah, the Battle Frontier on a fundamental level was that, but the restrictions were what made it memorable and even if the Battle Frontier doesn't make a return, I hope the elements of the Battle Frontier, at the very least, do.
What it sounds like to me is that they could get away with one facility and just add options for what restrictions you want to have in place during your run? That should be simple enough, really. I don't know that it's really a thing that should require much work to do, so it is a shame that they wouldn't include it.

And my point is that Persona 5 R is akin to a third version, and yet the fans don't seem to mind too much because they're used to it. In light of Dexit, SwSh+ could just get 100 of the missing Pokemon and some story stuff. Who knows what the general reaction would be.

I'm not necessarily trying to defend third versions, but I believe there are a few differences that are worth noting:

• Persona 5 Royal is getting released 3 years after the original one, unlike USUM which was only one year.
  • From the looks of it, it seems to have a significant amount of new content, unlike USUM which many felt like it was glorified DLC.
  • The original game still has a lot of content and a complete story. It doesn't feel rushed like how some people feel about XY and SM.
  • The original game is on sale from time to time (it's $14 right now apparently) and P5R will probably be on sale in the future too, unlike Pokemon (Unless you buy used copies? I never bought those so I don't know).

I still don't like third versions now that DLC exists, but I think these are some of the things that contribute to P5R having a better reception. I guess what I'm trying to say is that a lot of people might not feel like they are missing out by not buying P5R because the original game is already great.

Well, that's just my speculation anyway, so I could be wrong. :unsure:

It's not quantity over quality. It's the same quality, except multiplied by 7.

It's like getting 7 different varieties of chocolate, rather than just one.
Have you ever gotten 7 different varieties of chocolate?

I have and I guarentee that 3 or 4 of them weren't really that good.

Have you ever gotten 7 different varieties of chocolate?

I have and I guarentee that 3 or 4 of them weren't really that good.
And someone else might instead like the 3 or 4 types you disliked. That's the beauty of variety.

I like milk chocolate, dark chocolate, white chocolate, chocolate with nuts, chocolate with nuts and raisins, chocolate with Oreo chips, chocolate with walnuts, etc. :p

Last edited:
Wasn't the battle frontier 90% gimmicks?

Wasn't one of them a Roulette (or was that the Sinnoh one. Doesn't matter. I hate Roulettes. Except that one time in Kirby with Squashini. That was great.)

Wasn't the battle frontier 90% gimmicks?

Wasn't one of them a Roulette (or was that the Sinnoh one. Doesn't matter. I hate Roulettes. Except that one time in Kirby with Squashini. That was great.)
Some people like those gimmicks over the straight forward bland vanilla "beat them all" model that more recent battle facilities have apparently been, so I understand their dissatisfaction there. =/

Can we please not bring in YouTube wars here?

And I really hate summary-less videos, specially when they’re from known click-bait posting people.
Gonna agree. If you post a video for the love of arceus summarize it. I'm not gonna watch it because I don't feel like having my anger lit on fire by some youtuber with an annoying voice making stupid half true conjectures.

Gonna agree. If you post a video for the love of arceus summarize it. I'm not gonna watch it because I don't feel like having my anger lit on fire by some youtuber with an annoying voice making stupid half true conjectures.
XD And I don't wanna waste 15 minutes listening to someone ramble about them.

So yeah- summaries, please! I've tried skipping to parts of the video to avoid wasting time but all I get is 3-second clips of untrue bullshit so that doesn't reflect well on the rest of the video. Or maybe it does. I'm not gonna find out.

Am I the only one that likes third versions?
I do!! 3rd versions i feel are generally better. however as others have mentioned they are more expensive now so I am not sure i'd spend $60 twice. they would have to have a significant enough difference for me to justify. Maybe they will do a 3rd version or maybe they will stick to double sequels instead.

But by looks of the trailer and the leak, it looks as if SwSh will be a third version in itself, similar to ORAS, fixing what XY lacked of a Z.

Ruffoldrowlit has made this video talking in depth the situation with Game Freak, mobile games and the Pokemon situation in general.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CpsvyJuMYc

And I swear, if they don't bring in the old characters in SwSh and instead say that they're on Pokemon Masters, then they have certainly missed a great opportunity.

Please watch and see what you think.

Uh as much as people are upset about the Dex issue in SwSh, I am sure there would be uproar if they stopped the traditional pokemon games or produce them crapper. When it comes to Pokemon going mobile, I will not be going with them. I am not a fan of my phone being my console.

I remember the Battle Frontier, but what I remember most is running around in it, trying to beat every one once, and then not returning to it. I never really cared about it, myself, but it's inclusion is important.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom