• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eevee got a mascot costume. The only other Pokemon with one currently is Pikachu.

I don't think that Pikachu will be replaced as the face of the franchise with Eevee.
It's not being replaced. Adding Eevee as a mascot won't replace Pikachu.

Honestly, having a male and female directed mascot is a good idea. Both are gendet neutral but also are gender specific. Boys tend to prefer Pikachu and girls prefer Eevee.

It's not being replaced. Adding Eevee as a mascot won't replace Pikachu.

Honestly, having a male and female directed mascot is a good idea. Both are gendet neutral but also are gender specific. Boys tend to prefer Pikachu and girls prefer Eevee.
You do know that Pikachu was chosen as the mascot instead of Clefairy because it can appeal to both genders, right?

You do know that Pikachu was chosen as the mascot instead of Clefairy because it can appeal to both genders, right?

You're missing the point I think. They know Pikachu appeals to both genders, and they're saying Eevee is being added alongside Pikachu because it is also gender neutral.

Honestly, I think gender-based marketing doesn't really have much basis. Most of the time, their only evidence is because the products are already encouraging kids to sort themselves into gendered categories. "Boy toys" only have boys in commercials, "girl toys" only have girls, fast food restaurants have "boy toys and girl toys", even when the "boy toys" are from a franchise that tried to appeal to boys and girls, toys like LEGO and Nerf will have products that are "for girls" as if their other products aren't. And I know it's an example brought up a lot, but pink was originally a color associated with boys, until it was changed, and now pink is considered to be the best way to appeal to girls.

Pikachu and Eevee seem to be another example of this. Pikachu is commonly seen with boy trainers (Ash, Richie, Viktor), and Eevee with girls. (May, Serena, Sakura) Eevee has a few examples with boy trainers (Gary and the Eevee brothers-both way early in the series), but as far as I can tell, no girl trainer is shown with an Eevee. So the anime has sort of already designated "Pikachu for boys, Eevee for girls"-but if they had more trainers of different genders with these Pokemon, I doubt the idea would stick.

Honestly, I think gender-based marketing doesn't really have much basis. Most of the time, their only evidence is because the products are already encouraging kids to sort themselves into gendered categories. "Boy toys" only have boys in commercials, "girl toys" only have girls, fast food restaurants have "boy toys and girl toys", even when the "boy toys" are from a franchise that tried to appeal to boys and girls, toys like LEGO and Nerf will have products that are "for girls" as if their other products aren't. And I know it's an example brought up a lot, but pink was originally a color associated with boys, until it was changed, and now pink is considered to be the best way to appeal to girls.

Pikachu and Eevee seem to be another example of this. Pikachu is commonly seen with boy trainers (Ash, Richie, Viktor), and Eevee with girls. (May, Serena, Sakura) Eevee has a few examples with boy trainers (Gary and the Eevee brothers-both way early in the series), but as far as I can tell, no girl trainer is shown with an Eevee. So the anime has sort of already designated "Pikachu for boys, Eevee for girls"-but if they had more trainers of different genders with these Pokemon, I doubt the idea would stick.
I think if they really tried to polarize them like that, boys would be upset pretty quickly that their designated mascot only evolves into one thing (two if you count Alolan) while the girls get eight options to choose from. XD

Anywho... "late April" has passed and no sign yet of what mystery eevee was.

I think if they really tried to polarize them like that, boys would be upset pretty quickly that their designated mascot only evolves into one thing (two if you count Alolan) while the girls get eight options to choose from. XD

Anywho... "late April" has passed and no sign yet of what mystery eevee was.
Why is this a thing? No Pokemon is gender exclusive to who can like it, hell Sylveon is one of my favorites (first shiny actually, and I remember hatching it in November near Eevee day lol) even though it's seen as a "girly" Pokemon.

Why is this a thing? No Pokemon is gender exclusive to who can like it, hell Sylveon is one of my favorites (first shiny actually, and I remember hatching it in November near Eevee day lol) even though it's seen as a "girly" Pokemon.
Beats me. They're both pretty gender neutral mascots, though I do think eevee does lean a bit more towards being "girly" in general- but I don't think pikachu is really "for boys" that much and is just plain neutral to either side.

Honestly, I don't think the decision to include eevee as a mascot is a gender thing, it's just that popular, plain and simple.

I honestly find both eevee and pikachu fairly feminine compared other Pokémon. I don’t like them at all lol

And this flies in the face of why Pikachu was made the mascot in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom