• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Old Characters in Pocket Monster 2019

Which ones?

• Misty

• Brock

• Tracey

• Gary

• May & Max

• Dawn

• Paul

• Iris

• Cilan

• Trip

• Clemont & Bonnie

• Serena

• Sawyer

• Mallow

• Lana

• Lillie

• Sophocles

• Kiawe

• Hau

• Someone else

Results are only viewable after voting.
I don't think the retirement of Haruka's voice actor means she'll never show up in the anime anymore. Chances become less, of course, but they still exist. It's possible to get her a replacement (especially considering her last appearance was over 10 years ago).

Otherwise Ookido-hakase'd be out as well, wouldn't him?

I don't think the retirement of Haruka's voice actor means she'll never show up in the anime anymore. Chances become less, of course, but they still exist. It's possible to get her a replacement (especially considering her last appearance was over 10 years ago).

Otherwise Ookido-hakase'd be out as well, wouldn't him?
Oak was a main character who appeared in almost every episode. May has not been important for a decade and a half.

They still keep him around. Oh, and his VA also voices the narrator, meaning that he had to be replaced.

He still wasn't a main character exactly. His voice actor had to be replaced given he was also the narrator, but they could still potentially give May a new voice actress too if they do want her to appear in the anime again.

He still wasn't a main character exactly. His voice actor had to be replaced given he was also the narrator, but they could still potentially give May a new voice actress too if they do want her to appear in the anime again.
In Japan, they usually prefer to retire the character outright rather than replace the VA. VA replacements are usually only done if it is absolutely necessary.

In Japan, they usually prefer to retire the character outright rather than replace the VA. VA replacements are usually only done if it is absolutely necessary.

I'm aware of how Japan doesn't tend to replace voice actors, but I think that's kind of a moot point. It wouldn't mean that they'd absolutely refuse to give May a different voice actress if her original voice actress has retired or is unable to resume the role. Granted, I don't think that May has the highest chances of showing up again regardless, but I just don't think that the issues with her voice actress would be one of the reasons why they couldn't bring her back.

Didn't they replace like half of the cast of Digimon Adventure for the 2020 reboot (even some that are still active)? Also, I've seen a couple of VAs get replaced on other shows/franchises as well, but the common thread seems to be that a lot of the characters haven't appeared on the series themselves for a long enough time (or the series themselves haven't popped up for a while as well).

People really need to let go of the "Japan never recasts actors" crutch when Japan is more than willing to do so when necessary.

Didn't they replace like half of the cast of Digimon Adventure for the 2020 reboot (even some that are still active)?
Yes but not only that, the human cast had already been replaced once before only a couple years earlier for Tri/Kizuna series. Considering that the original cast had returned for the game adaptation of Adventure back in 2011 that means that the main cast has had three sets of actors in no less than a decade.

Some anime do recast VAs when they're remaking\rebooting an older series. From the top of my head I can think of Captain Tsubasa (which had 3 remakes (J, Road to 2002 and 2018), and all of them with new actors for all characters).

However others don't (Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood kept the same cast as the original series for eg).

The Digimon case is an interesting one because only the humans' actors were changed, but not the digimon (the main ones at least).

I've read somewhere some time ago that Shaman King was gonna get a remake about 10 years ago, but the mangaka turned it down since they were planning to replace all VAs and songs.

I’m with Dogasu in that I strongly suspect the recent recast of Shijima/Chuck was a trial to pave the way for similar, so I wouldn’t rule anyone completely out for now...
Or it could be because Chuck's original voice was basically a famous person doing a guest voice, and he only appeared in one episode.
Oak was a main character who appeared in almost every episode. May has not been important for a decade and a half.
Main characters are Ash, his friends, and the Team Rocket trio.

However others don't (Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood kept the same cast as the original series for eg).
Eh, not the best example since Brotherhood was made by the same studio on the same TV network only five years later. I imagine it wasn't hard for Bones to simply call up the previous actors to reprise their roles. :unsure:

A better example would be the Zeta Gundam movies in 2005 which despite being made 20 years after the TV series, still managed to get most of the cast back reprising their roles.

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom