• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Old Characters in Pocket Monster 2019

Which ones?

• Misty

• Brock

• Tracey

• Gary

• May & Max

• Dawn

• Paul

• Iris

• Cilan

• Trip

• Clemont & Bonnie

• Serena

• Sawyer

• Mallow

• Lana

• Lillie

• Sophocles

• Kiawe

• Hau

• Someone else

Results are only viewable after voting.
Not, Dawn wasn't, and neither one of Ash's other companions was a protagonist the same way that Goh and Ash are. Goh can not have more focus than Ash, but he has at least the same amount of focus, and this is unique in the franchise. The big problem with Goh permanence is that Cinderace is his main and first Pokémon, but maybe the producers can achieve trade his mascot for Mew, for instance, and Cinderace become a kind of Charizard or Greninja.

Dawn definitely was a co-protagonist. DP was introduced as the story of both Ash and Dawn. They didn't remind the audience every single episode that it was about them like they do with Ash and Goh, but both of their storylines were pretty intertwined, much more so than Ash and Goh's storylines are in my opinion, and she was basically the co-lead of DP. Fans make a big deal about Goh being considered a co-protagonist, but it feels like he's labeled as such mainly because the main cast started out smaller this time around rather than because he has that much of a bigger role compared to previous companions.

I can't really see Goh getting Mew either, if only because none of the characters have actually reached their goal. The idea of Cinderace being released or sent away so that he could get a new marketable Pokemon also seems unlikely. They already had Goh think that Raboot would be better off without him, immediately regretted it and was overjoyed when Raboot was still smiling with him. It wouldn't be impossible for something to happen down the road where Cinderace needs or wants to leave Goh, but I don't see it happening, especially when it's pretty rare for characters to not keep their first Pokemon partners.

The list of Ash's old friends to opening and then appear in the next future episodes from Pokémon Journeys: The Series.

1.- Lana - Opening 2 - Episode 37
2.- Kiawe - Opening 2 - Episode 37
3.- Sophocles - Opening 2 - Episode 37
4.- Mallow - Opening 2 - Episode 37
5.- Iris - Opening 3 - Next future episode

And eleven Ash's old friends are missing.

DP was introduced as the story of both Ash and Dawn. They didn't remind the audience every single episode that it was about them like they do with Ash and Goh, but both of their storylines were pretty intertwined, much more so than Ash and Goh's storylines are in my opinion, and she was basically the co-lead of DP.
Actually, they did.
Screenshot (20).png
More than anything, DP just did a much better job at balancing focus between the two characters. In the current series, Ash is feeling more and more subdued in episodes that aren't specifically his own. Gou gets captures in most episodes, as well as constant opportunities to show off, but Ash is lucky to get a comic relief role in one of Gou's episodes.

The list of Ash's old friends to opening and then appear in the next future episodes from Pokémon Journeys: The Series.

1.- Lana - Opening 2 - Episode 37
2.- Kiawe - Opening 2 - Episode 37
3.- Sophocles - Opening 2 - Episode 37
4.- Mallow - Opening 2 - Episode 37
5.- Iris - Opening 3 - Next future episode

And eleven Ash's old friends are missing.

I don't think Misty and Brock will be featured in an opening, since they generate more hype if they keep their appearance a secret until the episode they are appearing it airs.

I don't think Misty and Brock will be featured in an opening, since they generate more hype if they keep their appearance a secret until the episode they are appearing it airs.
Okay, neither do I that grumpy Misty you doesn't like it.

They promoted their return in SM well before it happened quite a bit, so I don't think that they'll keep their potential return in Journeys a secret either. I'm not sure if they'll reveal it in an opening theme like they've done with some other returning characters, but they'll definitely announce their return well before the episode airs.

Apparently, Shigeru/Gary's voice actor may not be reprising her role in this series. If so, this is huge. If this precedent is set, than suddenly all VA related character restrictions may no longer exist. We can see characters like May return, whose VA has a 0% chance of returning.

This is bittersweet of course, replacing voice actors is always a bummer. The consistent voices are one of the many things that make subs so valuable to me.

Last edited:
Apparently, Shigeru/Gary's voice actor may not be reprising his role in this series. If so, this is huge. If this precedent is set, than suddenly all VA related character restrictions may no longer exist. We can see characters like May return, whose VA has a 0% chance of returning.

This is bittersweet of course, replacing voice actors is always a bummer. The consistent voices are one of the many things that make subs so valuable to me.

Did Gary's voice actor retire or something?

Did Gary's voice actor retire or something?
I don't believe so. It's hard to tell because I don't speak Japanese, but it seems like she declined the role. Or she's being flakey, because it looks like it's still up in the air.

Edit: Actually, it kind of looks like they didn't even approach her about it. She tweeted out her surprise after the reveal became viral. Very interesting.

Last edited:
Apparently, Shigeru/Gary's voice actor may not be reprising his role in this series. If so, this is huge. If this precedent is set, than suddenly all VA related character restrictions may no longer exist. We can see characters like May return, whose VA has a 0% chance of returning.

Not saying that anything's impossible, but the May situation might be handled differently since she was a cast member for over 190 episodes and not just a rival that Ash only spoke to in like ~20 episodes in total like Gary.

I didn't make much sense anyway as to why they would randomly recast a major recurring character like Gary when the VA is still active. Even Lance who hadn't appeared in 15 years and was a fairly minor reccuring character had his original VA reprise the role I who don't think had any recent Pokemon roles prior to that.

Wait, what happened with May's japanese VA?? Why she doesn't wants to come back?

Wait, what happened with May's japanese VA?? Why she doesn't wants to come back?

It's not about whether or not she wants to, it's about whether or not she can. A while back she contracted an illness that affected her voice and, thus, her ability to perform. I've heard conflicting reports on whether or not she's fully healed but if she's not, then she may not physically be able to be May's voice actress. Indeed, if she's not fully healed, many have speculated that that was why May never made a return in XY(Z) for Contests when Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire came out when that would have been the perfect opportunity for her to make a return.

It's not about whether or not she wants to, it's about whether or not she can. A while back she contracted an illness that affected her voice and, thus, her ability to perform. I've heard conflicting reports on whether or not she's fully healed but if she's not, then she may not physically be able to be May's voice actress. Indeed, if she's not fully healed, many have speculated that that was why May never made a return in XY(Z) for Contests when Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire came out when that would have been the perfect opportunity for her to make a return.
Omg, I'm so sorry for her. I hope she's better now.

The restrictions thing is overblown IMO.

It all comes down to whether or not the writers want to reintroduce that character. Replacing May's VA may be taboo there, but if they really wanted to bring her back, they would have replaced VA like they did with Oak.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom