• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Music One, Two, Three (Version 4)

But if Greninja returns and Alain’s doesn’t it would be a huge missed opportunity. Greninja has to get revenge. Then I will be partly statisfied. Greninja has to prove its worth.
Greninja doesn't need revenge. It lost fair and square, and more than proved its worth in many other occasions.

Greninja doesn't need revenge. It lost fair and square, and more than proved its worth in many other occasions.
The dude is one of Ash’s most powerful Pokémon EVER. He’s played a big role in saving the world (and cleaning up the mess afterwards). He’s MORE than proved his worth (and if the rumors are true, he’ll be adding even more to his resume soon).

But if Greninja returns and Alain’s doesn’t it would be a huge missed opportunity. Greninja has to get revenge. Then I will be partly statisfied. Greninja has to prove its worth.
Would Greninja defeating Alain's Charizard really mean anything at this point? I do understand wanting to see that since Alain's Charizard being ridiculous overpowered always bothered me and it definitely felt like they were setting Alain up to eventually lose to Ash, but it would feel kind of hollow at this point. It wouldn't change the fact that Greninja lost before and that Ash didn't win the Kalos League. Defeating Alain would be satisfying in a way, but it wouldn't suddenly make Ash the Kalos League Champion. If they were going to have Greninja defeat Charizard, they would have done it in XY, not wait over five years later for a different series to resolve that issue. I think expecting Journeys to fix problems with other series, not just XY, is bound to lead to disappointment.

Besides all that, the idea that this is the only way for Greninja to prove its worth is pretty ridiculous. As much as I understand being upset over that defeat even after all this time, I don't think losing to Alain negates all of the accomplishments Greninja had before and after it evolved. It's still easily Ash's strongest Water Pokemon and played a key role in the Team Flare arc. I don't think that one admittedly pretty disappointing defeat makes Greninja worthless. They also aren't going to bring Greninja back to prove its worth to you or anyone else. Whenever it does show up, as I'm positive it's guaranteed to happen eventually given how popular Greninja still is, they'll celebrate it and give it big fanfare instead of trying to make up for that one defeat.

To be fair they did reveal Iris's Axew accomplished it's desire of fully evolving during JN.
Plus if the rumors they wanted Ash to beat Alain but were stopped by higher ups is true it might make it tempting for some of the writers to put what they wanted to happen in when they have a chance.

That said I ultimately don't think we'll ever see Alain again and if we do they won't have Greninja beat him.

The dude is one of Ash’s most powerful Pokémon EVER. He’s played a big role in saving the world (and cleaning up the mess afterwards). He’s MORE than proved his worth (and if the rumors are true, he’ll be adding even more to his resume soon).

Yeah its not. Greninja is only powerful because of the form. Without the form, it has nothing on Talonflame (Who has way better feats) and Hawlucha (Who has a better battle record). Greninja without the form, has medicore feats. Its just a mediocore mon compared to a lot of Ash's mons, without the form.

For example, Charizard, Sceptile and Pikachu all defeated legendaries without a form, while Snorlax destroyed 2 Pokemon type disadvantage wise and has impressive feats. Then we also have Squirtle, Bulbasaur, Glalie, Tauros, Infernape and Krookodile as well who have way better feats than non-form Greninja has.

Yeah its not. Greninja is only powerful because of the form. Without the form, it has nothing on Talonflame (Who has way better feats) and Hawlucha (Who has a better battle record). Greninja without the form, has medicore feats. Its just a mediocore mon compared to a lot of Ash's mons, without the form.
You can say the same for any of Ash's starters. They're nothing special till they reach their final forms.

I'm sorry but I can't see anything other than the start of the Adventure Time Intro.

I don’t see Greninja beating a legendary.
Would Greninja defeating Alain's Charizard really mean anything at this point? I do understand wanting to see that since Alain's Charizard being ridiculous overpowered always bothered me and it definitely felt like they were setting Alain up to eventually lose to Ash, but it would feel kind of hollow at this point. It wouldn't change the fact that Greninja lost before and that Ash didn't win the Kalos League. Defeating Alain would be satisfying in a way, but it wouldn't suddenly make Ash the Kalos League Champion. If they were going to have Greninja defeat Charizard, they would have done it in XY, not wait over five years later for a different series to resolve that issue. I think expecting Journeys to fix problems with other series, not just XY, is bound to lead to disappointment.

Besides all that, the idea that this is the only way for Greninja to prove its worth is pretty ridiculous. As much as I understand being upset over that defeat even after all this time, I don't think losing to Alain negates all of the accomplishments Greninja had before and after it evolved. It's still easily Ash's strongest Water Pokemon and played a key role in the Team Flare arc. I don't think that one admittedly pretty disappointing defeat makes Greninja worthless. They also aren't going to bring Greninja back to prove its worth to you or anyone else. Whenever it does show up, as I'm positive it's guaranteed to happen eventually given how popular Greninja still is, they'll celebrate it and give it big fanfare instead of trying to make up for that one defeat.
Greninja’s story still felt unfinished and lackluster to me especially since how much they milked it

Greninja’s story still felt unfinished and lackluster to me especially since how much they milked it
It beat a Mega Abomasnow, gave a challenge to a Champion's Pokémon, and helped to save the world. That's a pretty impressive list of accomplishments, especially the last one, which it was literally born to do.

The only exceptions are Squirtle and Bulbasaur.
IMG_20220225_090902.jpg

123 is the theme of Journeys and so it was extremely obvious it was gonna stay that way. It's not lazy at all and it's pretty disrespectful to the artists and animators who worked on each version tbh
What Pokémon series in the franchise’s entire history has used the same opening for its entire run? You may call it disrespectful but after listening to the same exact opening only remixed every so often for 100+ episode, it gets old. On top of that, it further compounds numerous issues with the quality of this current series in comparison to past series when they can’t be bothered with giving it more than a single opening.

123 is the theme of Journeys and so it was extremely obvious it was gonna stay that way.

Is there something wrong with wanting some musical variety?

I wouldn't mind them reusing the song again if Journeys had a decent amount of vocal tracks, but it doesn't. It has the least, bar none.

I like 1, 2, 3, but I also want something new. Is that a crime?

If the endings were better, I'd be less annoyed, but we've seen the general opinion on those.

It's not lazy at all and it's pretty disrespectful to the artists and animators who worked on each version tbh

While I agree "lazy" is going a bit too far, just because someone has worked hard on something doesn't make them exempt from criticism nor is criticism inherently disrespectful.

It's not lazy at all and it's pretty disrespectful to the artists and animators who worked on each version tbh
Technically, this isn't about the artists or the animators since they could have used the updated animation but with a different song and it would have passed as a completely legit new OP (not that I care much about it, just an observation).

What Pokémon series in the franchise’s entire history has used the same opening for its entire run? You may call it disrespectful but after listening to the same exact opening only remixed every so often for 100+ episode, it gets old. On top of that, it further compounds numerous issues with the quality of this current series in comparison to past series when they can’t be bothered with giving it more than a single opening.
Friggin Hunter x Hunter had exactly one theme song unremixed for 130 plus episodes as well and no one cared, I'm no forcing you to like it it's just not at all that crazy for a animated series to have a single theme for most of its run, and making thid debate on quality is just plain stupid to me, this wasn't done to save time or budget, they literally just wanted to do things different for a saga.. You're acting like it's been the first version with no changes whatsoever this whole time.

Is there something wrong with wanting some musical variety?

I wouldn't mind them reusing the song again if Journeys had a decent amount of vocal tracks, but it doesn't. It has the least, bar none.

I like 1, 2, 3, but I also want something new. Is that a crime?

If the endings were better, I'd be less annoyed, but we've seen the general opinion on those.

I never said anyone was the devil for wanting a change up I just figured it was obvious after the first three times using the theme that the last version would be a final version Ash and Goh's seeiyu to bookend it, like it just makes sense to me so I guess I'm just not bothered by it. Liking the song probably helps to

While I agree "lazy" is going a bit too far, just because someone has worked hard on something doesn't make them exempt from criticism nor is criticism inherently disrespectful.
And not all bad faith criticism is automatically correct just because it's criticism. Laziness just straight up isn't really a factor here whether you like it or not, it's artistic/directorial intent

Friggin Hunter x Hunter had exactly one theme song unremixed for 130 plus episodes as well and no one cared, I'm no forcing you to like it it's just not at all that crazy for a animated series to have a single theme for most of its run, and making thid debate on quality is just plain stupid to me, this wasn't done to save time or budget, they literally just wanted to do things different for a saga.. You're acting like it's been the first version with no changes whatsoever this whole time.
Doraemon did that as well, during the Classic anime's entire run, and even returned with a 40th Anniversary cover by the new seiyuus.
But 'Doraemon no Uta' is so iconic and the latest covers were very different in tune/melody.
It's never left out of any Anime Kouhaku; the only other theme from a Kodomo with such treatment is Mezase Pokemon Master....
Fun Fact, there was a time when Matsumoto Rica sang it and said the 'Hai Takecopter' line.
Made me wonder how would it be if she had voiced Doraemon.......

Nintama Rantarou still uses 'Yuuki 100%', and it's the longest anime around.
The song was featured in the 1993 Kouhaku Uta Gassen, it was a great performance.....
The song is very catchy, and they also use the B-side 'Hohoemi wo Azukete' as an insert.
I am getting derailed, but at least that intro changes the animation style for each cover.

I liked the old HxH, 'Ohayou', better; but didn't dislike Departure!.
The thing is that despite getting used for the whole series, they rotated the lyrics.
At least there wasn't a terrible replace like in the 1999 series.

One-Two-Three is just not good enough to be this overused.
Being a barely tolerable song with a few references scattered.
Though, I will give a chance to Matsumoto-san's cover.

The first version's still my favourite tbh. The vocals, melody, tempo, everything was on point. The visuals were kinda basic but still evoked that feeling of adventure and discovery that pokemon's well known for. Also helps that it was at the start of the series and things were really optimistic in late 2019

I'm still keen for this version tho. The updated visuals are always a treat to watch

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom