• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Online battle experience

Vanyss

Reaction score
The games have been out for a while now. Most of us have already beaten the e4 and have gone towards battling via wifi. Yesterday evening I made my first steps into 6th gen online battles. It made me wonder how te pokemon community was experiencing the battles so far.

I've played seven matches on random match-up in a row (cause there wasn't any living soul "passing by" for some reason). One the first things I noticed - and what shocked me - was the amount of uber legends being used. I've seen a lot of team's with mewtwo, Yveltal and Zygarde. I remember mewtwo and the like being banned from random match-up in gen5. That, combined with me being a fairly casual gamer shocked me. Not that they posed that much of a threat. Most people using them didn't seem to know what they were doing. Its like game freak made a beautifull palace out of porcelaine and then let a herd of rogue elephants loose.

Wait, am I sounding negative now? There were three very entertaining battles. And it was fun to knock out a mega blaziken and Yveltal with my snorlax. Too bad his mewtwo finished poor snorlax off.
I also like how you now can choose which music plays during the battle. Nice gimmick. Very nice.

So, how is your business of pitting animals into gruesome online battles going?

I think that's just in random free battles, in random ranking battles there's probably a ban-list for overpowered ones.

I haven't battled yet since I'm still breeding a good team, but I've been asked by passerbys to battle quite a lot. I just reject. They tend to always ask while I'm hatching eggs too.

I think a lot of youngsters and inexperienced people think using uber legends will make them win. They probably don't know how to even use them or form a good team where each Pokemon serves a role and helps the whole team out. I once battled someone in the past with all uber legends on their team. I beat them easily with a mix of RU, UU and OU Pokemon.

Well I've seen lots of Mega Scizors and Protean Greninjas.. it pisses me a little because I think they are way too OP.
but aside of that, my Wifi experience has been good. my ranking is 1600 with 12 wins and 7 loses (yes, they had scizor and greninja on their teams)

Well I've seen lots of Mega Scizors and Protean Greninjas.. it pisses me a little because I think they are way too OP.
but aside of that, my Wifi experience has been good. my ranking is 1600 with 12 wins and 7 loses (yes, they had scizor and greninja on their teams)

Now I feel guilty of using Protean Greninja and Scizor lol.
I didn't think Mega Scizor was that popular. I'd think Mega Gengar, Charizard X, and Lucario would be used more.
I haven't used Mega Scizor yet since mine is still being trained, though.

If you don't want to battle legendaries, then change your battle settings to flat rules, you can do unranked battles and still have legendaries and stuff banned.

As far as dealing with "op" pokemon, suck it up and raise a better team, you can't go into something that is inherently competitive and get mad when people are competitive. (I say this as someone who royally sucks at pokemon battling).

Instead of crying about my numerous losses I'm trying to breed a team that can stand up to things, I probably won't succeed but it's still pretty fun either way. I haven't really run into any of the "op" things I've seen other people complain about. I haven't seen any legendaries, but I have been smooshed a few times by some garchomps with bad move pools simply because that's how bad I am at battling (and I don't have anything fast enough or tanky enough and with the right attacks to fight back right now).

I battle sometimes just to try out Pokemon and see what they can do. I not really a good battler but i battle just to have fun.

I have no problem with people constantly using pokemon like Scizor, Garchomp and apparentely Aegislash but c'mon, using a team of only Uber Legendaries?... that's just lame.

I haven't created a proper team (everything is fire/flying weak) so I've been losing mostly in rating battles. I don't like 3v3 so I do rotations, and I'm playing mostly to see what's going on so I can prepare making a team when Bank opens. So far, I can tell that people mostly use each Pokemon as a stand-alone Pokemon and rotations as switches....no one seems to be taking this opportunity to use secondary Pokemon to make up for the weaknesses of the other apart from the switches. I have a couple strategies I want to use but it seems a bit risky (also the breeding would be a pain).

As for the unrated battles, so what if people use Ubers? Those people could barely battle and you can beat them most of the time.

Other than that, it seems as if most people have not figured out that the turn you Mega Evolve, your Pokemon is in the same speed tier as its pre-Mega form (basically, for one turn, Mega Garchomp will have 102 speed).

I had this battle where my Protean Greninja KO'd 4 of his Pokemon. It managed to get rid of his Mega Blaziken, Yveltal, Zygarde, and Charizard before his Mewtwo got it... And then said Mewtwo was one-shot Sucker Punched by my Mega Absol.

I had this rotation battle where all of my pokemon were on low enough hp that my opponents talon flame on red health could ko each of them with acrobatics, so i rotated my sylveon in holding a rocky helmet so it was a double knock out and i won

btw is there a battle video thread i can post mine on?

I don't know what happened.....my losing streak stopped and now my ranking is probably 1600+ and this isn't even a properly made team.

I guess I had to get used to playing with real people. Seems like the key to winning Rotation for me is to not think logically....its too easy for people to predict me when I do.

The bad thing about Rotations is that there seems to like only be 5 of us there. There's me (who's party only has 5 Pokemon in it and is actually my league party with Protean Greninja subbed in for Greninja and no Hawlucha), some guy with Noivern and Mega Gengar, this other person with Choice Scarf Togekiss (I hate that person, their Togekiss keeps flinchaxing) and this guy who tries to win with a Sturdy/Endeavor/Shell Bell Aaron who rage-quits or forfeits when Aaron dies. Like why do you revolve your entire strategy on a level 1 Aaron? I mean, it's good for maneuvering breaking people's momentum because suddenly you have 1 HP on your Pokemon but really why do you rely on that.

I also met this one person with an Eeveelution team.

EDIT: Also, Smogon advises against Assault Vest Greninja, and while I'd agree its a waste on it, I don't have any better candidates at the moment, nor do I have a Focus Sash.

Assault Vest Greninja has literally saved my skin on countless occasions. Many slower Pokemon stay in on it expecting it to OHKO while I 2HKO them, but with Assault Vest, my Greninja is still alive and can proceed with 2HKOing them. Of course, in Rotation Battles, I have to be a bit more cautious going straight for the 2HKO, but at the very least, Greninja is able to severely weaken multiple opponents thanks to Assault Vest.

Last edited:
I have had quite a lot of online battles. Actually winning many with my in-game team, who has terrible natures and such. But could still beat legendaries with the right types against them. I am currently raising a perfect IV team so I can try to beat those really good competive teams that I almost always lose to. Anyways, I think its fun to get matched random up with someone and see wha the outcome of the battle becomes. Someones really suprised me.

I had a double battle and the guy I was battling with, fainted my first two pokemon almost immedietly. I had two pokemon left. By magic somehow, My two last remaining pokemon was able to beat all those other four pokemon. And my last two wasn't very good types against a his whole team. I won somehow. Even against his Mega mewtwo...uh

One online battle I had made me feel bad. My team was level 60 and the one I was battling had just level 20 pokemon with him. He used Frogadier, Pidgey and something I don't remember. He had currently just bought the game it seemed. But that made me feel bad, knocking out all his pokemon withing 1 minute :/

One online battle I had made me feel bad. My team was level 60 and the one I was battling had just level 20 pokemon with him. He used Frogadier, Pidgey and something I don't remember. He had currently just bought the game it seemed. But that made me feel bad, knocking out all his pokemon withing 1 minute :/

I think its good you stayed, since it would be worse to just quit as if they weren't worth your time.

Yeah, I think you're right. That would made me feel even meanier. But even if someone have a overleveled team compared to the other player. It is still fun to battle each other. Its about the experience, after all :)

I've had a couple of battles and won all of them, although the opponents weren't that good. I get challenged by random people A LOT but most of the time I reject because I'm in the middle of something or I just don't want to battle. I suppose I should just shut off in-game Wi-Fi when I'm not using it.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom