• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Only for 3DS?

I bought a 3DS a year and a half ago but sold it after seven months. I bought another one after finding out that the new Pokémon games were being released on it. It doesn't bother me at all having to buy a new console (I even had the option of having six months interest free to pay it - that would have worked out at just £22/month). Upside is that since I bought my first one they brought out a pink one. :crush: and my other one was a different region so I would have had to import it anyway.

Heya, I'm planning to buy a 3DS just because of the Pokémon X&Y (I hope I can get the Pikachu edition). But I wonder, are there any other games that I could enjoy on this console? It's a bit expensive to play only pokémon X or Y on it

But I wonder, are there any other games that I could enjoy on this console? It's a bit expensive to play only pokémon X or Y on it

Plenty. Mystery Dungeon, Luigi's Mansion, Paper Mario, Kid Icarus, Ocarina of Time 3D, Fire Emblem... Not to mention the eShop downloads which include classic games and download-exclusive stuff. (you can up your account balance either through credit card or gift cards sold in video game stores) Then there's the software that comes with the system itself: Streetpass Mii Plaza (very addicting when you carry the system around with you everywhere), Nintendo Video (not like Youtube, but sometimes entertaining), Swapnote, and the AR games.

Plus, you can still play regular DS games on it so you have an extra outlet to trade/ transfer on your Gen IV and V games.

Trust me, X and Y will only be the gateway.

Heya, I'm planning to buy a 3DS just because of the Pokémon X&Y (I hope I can get the Pikachu edition). But I wonder, are there any other games that I could enjoy on this console? It's a bit expensive to play only pokémon X or Y on it

Fire Emblem: Awakening
Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon
Super Mario 3D Land
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
New Super Mario Bros. 2

And there's also the upcoming Yoshi's Island title and Zelda: A Link to the Past sequel. And I haven't even begun on eShop possibilities, like Zelda: Link's Awakening.

I'm surprised a lot of people here don't have a 3DS yet. Is Pokemon the only thing most Pokemon fans play or something? lol

This happens everytime a new console comes out. Yes, you have to get a new console. Does it suck? Yes. But is it necessary? Yes.

Gaming is an expensive hobby. I don't even have Black 2 or White 2. It's not that I don't want it, I just can't afford it, let alone a 3DS. Nonetheless, I can see why this is the case. The 3DS is the new hand-held. If they want to make more sales, I think they should keep it, only for the 3DS. If people only buy a 3DS, only for the next generation games, that's still because of the 3DS.

I'm surprised a lot of people here don't have a 3DS yet. Is Pokemon the only thing most Pokemon fans play or something? lol

Would that be hard to believe? Pokémon is one of the three franchises I follow nowadays... and it's the only one I still play on a handheld console.

Although, seeing as I've bought my 3DS specifically for Pokémon I decided to pick up a new game outside of my interests to try it out. I'm not going to purchase it's prequel based on it, but it's still fun. :lick:

Would that be hard to believe? Pokémon is one of the three franchises I follow nowadays... and it's the only one I still play on a handheld console.

Yes, it would. I would have thought Pokemon fans could be a little more open-minded. Not that enjoying Pokemon is a bad thing (it's a great series), it's just that there are plenty of good games that aren't Pokemon.

Yes, it would. I would have thought Pokemon fans could be a little more open-minded. Not that enjoying Pokemon is a bad thing (it's a great series), it's just that there are plenty of good games that aren't Pokemon.

I don't understand your logic. How exactly does not playing a bunch of different games make someone close-minded? Everyone has different tastes and just because you think some games are good, doesn't mean someone else will enjoy them, or even want to play them.

I don't understand your logic. How exactly does not playing a bunch of different games make someone close-minded? Everyone has different tastes and just because you think some games are good, doesn't mean someone else will enjoy them, or even want to play them.

Okay, perhaps I should rephrase. Would "I would have thought Pokemon fans played more than just Pokemon since they're gamers" be better? And I never said anyone had to play exactly what I do. I'm sure there are games I don't play that Pokemon fans would enjoy too. What I meant was that at least SOME people would probably enjoy at least SOME of the other games I play. Not everyone, just some people.

I can't begin to explain why a DS demo for it would be horrible, since it is the single most ridiculous idea I've ever heard in my entire life.
Short answer is: The demo version is always on the same system as the real thing. If GF decides to have a downloadable XY demo it will certainly be a 3DS demo, will probably end after your first Rival battle and trip across the first route out of hometown, and will probably feature being able to transfer the demo's save file to the full retail version (like PMD Gates to Infinity has).
I CAN DREAM, HAROLD!
Maybe a little unrealistic version of the game, like what they did for the Black and White mall tour. You know, like just a battle against your rival, a small cutscene, a small area to walk around in, a cutscene, then BOOM, game over, next person in line, please. Actually, another mall tour would be a good substitute for a demo.

EDIT: Just to be clear, I have a 3DS. I just want a demo for... some reason. Why am I even on this thread? Ah, well.

I'm pretty glad I didn't buy it yet because they announced the 3DS price cuts starting around May in my country. Still approximately 170$, but definitely cheaper than when it was near 300$ Not buying the 3DS early was a good idea, and if I can get a second-hand DS, I might even be able to get it for around 100$.

Good thing I waited. Didn't expect the price cuts, but nice that I don't have a 3DS yet XDD

Who knows - the longer you wait, the cheaper you can get it.

I can't begin to explain why a DS demo for it would be horrible, since it is the single most ridiculous idea I've ever heard in my entire life.
Short answer is: The demo version is always on the same system as the real thing. If GF decides to have a downloadable XY demo it will certainly be a 3DS demo, will probably end after your first Rival battle and trip across the first route out of hometown, and will probably feature being able to transfer the demo's save file to the full retail version (like PMD Gates to Infinity has).
I CAN DREAM, HAROLD!
Maybe a little unrealistic version of the game, like what they did for the Black and White mall tour. You know, like just a battle against your rival, a small cutscene, a small area to walk around in, a cutscene, then BOOM, game over, next person in line, please. Actually, another mall tour would be a good substitute for a demo.

EDIT: Just to be clear, I have a 3DS. I just want a demo for... some reason. Why am I even on this thread? Ah, well.
I don't think anyone is arguing against a demo for the 3DS, they just don't want a downgrade demo.

The 3DS came out 2 years ago. Everybody should have had plenty enough time to get one by now if they want to play X and Y.

Nintendo and Game Freak are businesses. It is not within their interests to provide for the fans. It is within their interests for the fans to provide for them.

Furthermore, it would not be technically possible to release X and Y on the DS, even with lesser graphics, because the data size limit for a DS cartridge. As it is, Black and White 2 was pushing the limit. To fit all that they have planned for X and Y on a DS cartridge would be impossible.

The fact remains that they are a business and they don't care if you cannot afford to obtain a 3DS. Besides, they will likely be offering bundle deals for a copy of the game and console that give you an overall savings on both (like what they did with 5th gen).

I CAN DREAM, HAROLD!

"maybe a little unrealistic version of the game." ....What is the point in that?? A demo is suppose to be a short 'playable trailer' if you will, that represents what the game can do and what it's all about. An 'unrealistic' demo on the DS wouldn't even be a demo, it would be too different to be a demo. The best it would be is a minute long new Pokemon game created for no proper reason. a Demo on the DS would do nothing, it would not achieve what a demo is supposed to. If anyone actually expected a demo to be available on the DS, then forgive me, but that is a foolish thought. If anyone wanted a demo on the DS but never expected one, then I am glad to khow you never held your hopes very high, for them to fall and shatter.

I'm pretty glad I didn't buy it yet because they announced the 3DS price cuts starting around May in my country. Still approximately 170$, but definitely cheaper than when it was near 300$ Not buying the 3DS early was a good idea, and if I can get a second-hand DS, I might even be able to get it for around 100$.

Good thing I waited. Didn't expect the price cuts, but nice that I don't have a 3DS yet XDD

Who knows - the longer you wait, the cheaper you can get it.

Well, this is true. The price cuts happened earlier here, but yeah.

I CAN DREAM, HAROLD!

"maybe a little unrealistic version of the game." ....What is the point in that?? A demo is suppose to be a short 'playable trailer' if you will, that represents what the game can do and what it's all about. An 'unrealistic' demo on the DS wouldn't even be a demo, it would be too different to be a demo. The best it would be is a minute long new Pokemon game created for no proper reason. a Demo on the DS would do nothing, it would not achieve what a demo is supposed to. If anyone actually expected a demo to be available on the DS, then forgive me, but that is a foolish thought. If anyone wanted a demo on the DS but never expected one, then I am glad to khow you never held your hopes very high, for them to fall and shatter.
I meant "unrealistic" as... well, look at the BW demos. They have you battle with lower leveled Pokemon, starting in that city with the Ice-type gym, always winter, and only Munna in the tall grass. You can't go outside the small area, and you battle Bianca and Cheren. This scene happens nowhere in the actual game, it's just a taste with about 4 actual Pokemon (6 if you count the cutscene-only Zekrom and Reshiram) and characters that have different dialogue. You can't go into any houses.

That's what they did for the BW demos. Maybe they can have another mall tour and do something similar to that, instead of making a demo.

I CAN DREAM, HAROLD!

I meant "unrealistic" as... well, look at the BW demos. They have you battle with lower leveled Pokemon, starting in that city with the Ice-type gym, always winter, and only Munna in the tall grass. You can't go outside the small area, and you battle Bianca and Cheren. This scene happens nowhere in the actual game, it's just a taste with about 4 actual Pokemon (6 if you count the cutscene-only Zekrom and Reshiram) and characters that have different dialogue. You can't go into any houses.

That's what they did for the BW demos. Maybe they can have another mall tour and do something similar to that, instead of making a demo.

And The Black and White Demo was on the same console as the actual game. And that demo sounds pretty realistic, for a demo. GameFreak didn't have to spend all that time, money, and effort, taking part of Pokemon X and Y and completely changing everything in order for it to fit on the DS. Like I said, demos are suppose to give you an idea of what the game is about, and what it can do. A demo on the DS would not accomplish this in any way.

Nintendo have released plenty of demos for 3DS games on the Nintendo eShop, chances are they'll do the same thing with Pokemon X and Y. They definitely will not however, create a demo on the DS, it would be utterly pointless, nothing would be gained from doing so.

I CAN DREAM, HAROLD!

And The Black and White Demo was on the same console as the actual game. And that demo sounds pretty realistic, for a demo. GameFreak didn't have to spend all that time, money, and effort, taking part of Pokemon X and Y and completely changing everything in order for it to fit on the DS. Like I said, demos are suppose to give you an idea of what the game is about, and what it can do. A demo on the DS would not accomplish this in any way.

Nintendo have released plenty of demos for 3DS games on the Nintendo eShop, chances are they'll do the same thing with Pokemon X and Y. They definitely will not however, create a demo on the DS, it would be utterly pointless, nothing would be gained from doing so.
I know, I just REALLY want another mall tour. MERCHANDISE MAN, AWAY!

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom