• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

pearlshipping vs. pokeshipping

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to disagree, if we don't see Ash or anyone else mention a character on-screen, its likely the topic of the character never came up. For example in the ep Dawn captures Buizel and Ash uses the Misty lure, Dawn asks, "Who is Misty?"

From that line, we can tell that Ash/Brock never bothered to mention Misty to Dawn for the entire span of DP up until that point.

Yeah, and that's ALL you can say: that the subject of Misty hadn't come up. Given that Ash and Brock are guys, and hadn't traveled with Misty recently, I don't find that surprising. Ash especially is a focus-on-the-now kind of guy...unless Dawn actually asked them to "tell me about all your other friends!" or they encounter a situation in which a previous situation required retelling, I can't see Ash bringing it up.

Likewise, when Ash came home from Hoenn he looked surprised when he saw Misty at Pallet, as if he didn't expect her to be there. However when he came home from Battle Frontier and she wasn't there, he just had no reaction whatsoever and didn't even mention her. Likewise Oak/Tracey/Delia didn't say anything about Misty either.

Proves nothing. It wasn't concerned with the plot of the episode, and Misty doesn't live in Pallet. If I live in Houston, and a friend of mine lives in Dallas, and I don't see him/her when I come back from California just before heading off to Florida, why should I be surprised they're not there to see me? (If they are there, it's a surprise, albeit a good one.) That doesn't mean I never call/write/email my friend in Dallas, btw.

To be honest I think its just because Ash doesn't feel the need to bring up his friends unless the situation calls for it.

I can agree with that. This IS Ash we're talking about. He seems to talk not just about Pokemon more than people, but about the present and the future, and not so much about the past. He's always looking forward, rarely looking back.

I've seen people throw around the theory that Misty calls Ash on the phone...but there is absolutely zero proof in the anime that something like that ever happened. It's very likely it doesn't, given we always see when Oak calls Ash.

Um...hello! That's because he usually calls Professor Oak to discuss the current situation of the episode with him. We see Ash call Oak because it concerns the plot.

We don't see him call Delia that often, either. Are you gonna tell me a nice boy like Ash hardly ever calls his mother, just because we don't usually see it?

I didn't think so. ;-)

Okay. I'm not saying this is proof Ash calls Misty. Far from it. All I'm saying is that it's NOT proof that he DOESN'T call Misty.

Things we don't see in canon are like Schrodinger's cat. Until we actually see them, events lurk in a kind of limbo, neither happening nor not-happening, until the Powers That Be choose to open the box, collapse the wave function, and show us what went on.

You prefer to think of Ash as not talking to Misty; I prefer to think of him as talking to her (or emailing her, or something) every now and then. The beauty of things is that, until the show proves one of our hypotheses correct and the other wrong, they are both equally valid.

I love a win-win situation. :-D

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Okay, I saw another post and had to say something....

They [Misty and Dawn] are both REAL personality types. Emoting has nothing to do with this. There are REAL people who are just like Dawn, and there are REAL people who are just like Misty.

I agree totally. Comparing "amount of emotion" is silly, anyway, because different people show emotion in different ways.

Not to mention, ANYONE with a Misty bias (or a Pokeshipping bias) is going to say she has "more emotion" than May or Dawn, because the woman is a shrew inside a deceptive face.

Now, wait just a Pokéball-pickin' minute!

First off, I am a Pokeshipper, thank you very much...and I would never say anything as foolish as that Misty has "more emotion" than May or Dawn. It makes no sense; emotion isn't like power levels; it's not something you can quantify. And even if you could, I've seen plenty of emotion in all three girls; no one here is lacking in personality.

Second, and most importantly: defending Dawn and May does NOT mean you have to trash Misty!

And if you're going to try, you'll have to do better than that.

"Deceptive...?" That word isn't in her dictionary. Misty is so straightforward that if she were a Pokemon, she'd probably be Linoone. Come on, "blunt" is her middle name; she's gotten more tactful as the show went on, but she's still terrible at hiding what she thinks and feels.

I suppose you could call Misty a "shrew"...in the same way you could call May a "wimpy crybaby," or Dawn a "self-obsessed, shallow little Prima Donna."

All THREE remarks are taking one (and only one) trait that each girl has (a negative trait, of course)...and then describing it in the most insulting, hurtful way possible.

Is that fair?

In reality, Misty is impatient and bad-tempered...but she's also feisty, loyal, protective, caring and determined.

May is insecure and easily hurt...but she's also adventurous, kind, considerate, sensible and brave.

And Dawn is a little vain about her looks and enjoys winning...but she's also enthusiastic, courageous, honorable, irrepressible, and good-hearted.

Now, isn't that a better way to talk about the characters than slamming them?

Last edited:
Shipping is dangerous business.
I like Pokeshipping...have supported it since I started watching Pokemon around ten years ago.
I just think Misty was the best female lead and her felings for Ash were one of my favorite traits o fhers.
That's all really.

I'm am more of a pokeshipper really, have been that since I was a kid and I think it is more of a one-side ship.

Dawn is more of a bubbly cheerful sibling.....Ash s like the older sibling Dawn is younger sibling case closed

Misty has more emotions and is a gym leader which is way stronger than a corrdinator well except for May she's got strong pokemon

I used to support Pokeshipping a lo-o-ong time ago (when I was younger and more naive - I feel so old!). The American dub was probably the reason (that includes Misty's Song - which I still remember the lyrics to, gaah and that Under The Mistletoe shit they made). Anyway~ I happen to like all of the Ash+main female shippings now. All (or most of it, especially from Japanese sites) of the art is adorable. Damn, why must they all be drawn so cute!?

My real relationship with my boyfriend is like a big brother/little sister one, so, ...lol, that makes me want to support Pearlshipping even more than other Ash+main female shippings.
Damnit, pikachu200. Why must you make me think these things!? D:

Also, slightly off-topic, why do people keep mentioning lines from the American version, seriously? Why not use the original dialogue?? Or none at all, if you can't find the episode subtitled with English words. The dub version annoys the hell out of me, and this is coming from someone who latched onto it for years, until, you know, AG came around. Misty wasn't there anymore, so there was really no reason for me to tune in.

Now I'm more open to Ash with other females. Bring em on cause the Japs'll make hot fan art~

Also, slightly off-topic, why do people keep mentioning lines from the American version, seriously? Why not use the original dialogue?? Or none at all, if you can't find the episode subtitled with English words. The dub version annoys the hell out of me, and this is coming from someone who latched onto it for years...

Because that's the only version we know...and we may not know where to find accurate English subs. Or know how to tell them from the inaccurate subs.

Besides, since all the OTHER dubs are translated from the American verson, there's a good case to be made for it being an "alternate canon."

Personally I try to write my fanstories to agree with both versions (as far as I have knowledge of them), except in some cases, like the Handymanshipping story I just wrote where I used the dub continuity because Daisy's dub personality is so much fun to write. Also, I use dub Meowth because that's the character I fell in love with, and because I don't have a good "feel" for Nyasu (though I do feel justified if I want to have Meowth indulge in a bit of philosophical thinking now and then.) Anyway, Japanese sources are already known for having "multiple canons" (manga, anime, cinema, etc), so the existence of two versions shouldn't be that big a deal.

But, of course, when you're trying to analyze the minute details for purposes of shipping, the Japanese version trumps the dub. Still...even if I knew I had a completely accurate translation sub, there's so much I'd miss out on...the unconscious cultural references that add to one's enjoyment of the show and understanding of the characters. I'll NEVER have that, even if I learn to speak Japanese, because I didn't grow up in Japan...if I want to watch (or work creatively with) a source with any kind of depth or subtext to it, I have to use impressions I get from the dub, because I have no other real source open to me. I try to augment that with whatever I find out about the original lines, but tone of voice cues, timing, etc., I have to get from the version I understand.

'What makes me misty most of all...during our final curtain call...is knowing that I won't see yooooou...aaaaaaagain!"

Misty and Ash will have a million babies.

I guess it's a toss-up between Pokeshipping and Pearlshipping. Like Kalylia said, both Ships have had their ups and downs. Both Ships have also had strong hints. I don't really think that we should have a 'versus', but if we should, the it's Pearlshipping for me. <3

Sorry, Pearlshipping? Strong Hints? Name one.

Honestly, I think Advanceshipping should be in this "Which Ship is better" thing. I mean, there was a whole episode kind of dedicated to it. (The Bicker, The Better)

Before May leaves to return to Johto, she and the rest of the group share goodbyes. She and Ash speak last, each telling the other to do their best in their respective paths. It is only when May is speaking with Ash (despite the fact she was exchanging farewells with everyone) that she holds her heart. Further indication is that when both May and Ash say their goodbyes, each of their eyes glimmer. In the anime, when a character's eyes glimmer it represents a type of passion.

I'm also fine with Pokeshipping.

But Pearlshipping: What the heck? Even before the Diamond/Pearl Anime came out in Japan, this shipping was made.

I wonder if Dawn is going to give Ash a token before her inevitable departure at the end of this generation.

Misty gave him the fishing lure (although this was at the end of BF as a good luck charm to beat Brandon), and May and Ash split a ribbon together, I wonder what Dawn will leave with him.

One thing I found interesting is Ash and May both kept the half ribbons with them on their respective journies, instead of leaving them at their houses or anything.

I can't wait till Dawn departs. Then I'll start watching the show again.

Sorry, Pearlshipping? Strong Hints? Name one.

Satoshi & Hikari traded Pokémon with one another back in DP055. He hasn't done this with any of the other girls. Trust is an important factor of a relationship. They both trusted each other and commenced the trade off. Satoshi back in Kanto regretted trading his Butterfree and traded it back.

They have also sung a duet called High Touch. It's about their strong bond rather than Pokémon.

Hikari: Itsudatte......
Always......
Sugu soba ni sono egao!
Your smile is with me!

Satoshi: Doko ni datte......
No matter where I go......
Itsumo sono egao!
Your smile is always there!

These lines in particular, I don't know about you, but singing about each other's smile, it doesn't really say friendship.

In movie 10, they helped each other out (e.g. Satoshi & Hikari saving each other from falling to their death) and with carrying the Oracion disc to the tower thus saving time and space.

But Pearlshipping: What the heck? Even before the Diamond/Pearl Anime came out in Japan, this shipping was made.

Nevermets are created EVERY DAY. Some meet, some don't. No one back then expected Hikari to join Satoshi, but people still took an interest to it.

I can't wait till Dawn departs. Then I'll start watching the show again.

So...how does this relate to this thread?

Satoshi & Hikari traded Pokémon with one another back in DP055. He hasn't done this with any of the other girls. Trust is an important factor of a relationship. They both trusted each other and commenced the trade off. Satoshi back in Kanto regretted trading his Butterfree and traded it back.
Because Ash's wanted his POKEMON Aipom to be happy. Same thing for Dawn and Buizel.

They have also sung a duet called High Touch. It's about their strong bond rather than Pokémon.

Always......
Sugu soba ni sono egao!
Your smile is with me!

Itsumo sono egao!

These lines in particular, I don't know about you, but singing about each other's smile, it doesn't really say friendship.

Because they are supportive to each others goal...

In movie 10, they helped each other out (e.g. Satoshi & Hikari saving each other from falling to their death) and with carrying the Oracion disc to the tower thus saving time and space.

Because Ash doesn't want Dawn TO DIE! Same thing for Dawn. They wouldn't just abandon their friend to fall to their deaths.

Nevermets are created EVERY DAY. Some meet, some don't. No one back then expected Hikari to join Satoshi, but people still took an interest to it.

that just proves how some shippers are crazy....

Those points you made doesn't prove anything.

Last edited:
Because Ash's wanted his POKEMON Aipom to be happy. Same thing for Dawn and Buizel.

True, but Satoshi trusted Hikari to take care of Aipom while Hikari trusted Satoshi with Buizel. They wouldn't want to trade Pokemon with someone they don't trust.

Because they are supportive to each others goal...

How is singing about someone's smile supportive about someone's goal?

Because Ash doesn't want Dawn TO DIE! Same thing for Dawn. They wouldn't just abandon their friend to fall to their deaths.

Very true. I agree to that.

that just proves how some shippers are crazy....

It proves that people are being open-minded to all the possibilities of people meeting. Like ColdCoffeeShippers.

Always......
Sugu soba ni sono egao!
Your smile is with me!

Itsumo sono egao!

So...how does this relate to this thread?

1. They traded because Zoey suggested it, since both pokemon were best suited for the other trainer's purpose.

2. You have a point.

3. So, if I save my best friend from falling off a cliff, does that make us gay lovers?

4. Talk about over-eager.

5. Actually, I'm not quite sure.

So, if I save my best friend from falling off a cliff, does that make us gay lovers?

Why would you even go that extreme? Why should people think ahead of something that's trivial?

I like pokeshipping just because i grew up watching the show with misty. I also like it because Pokeshipping (at least in Misty's case) is the only ship that has indisputable proof sans the Bicker the Better episode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom