• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

pearlshipping vs. pokeshipping

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pokemon =/= any other franchise.

Not saying it's not possible, but I also feel that the chances atm aren't great for Satoshi.

And also, Aspen, how is Dawn not a Mary-Sue? She's actually an improved version of May.

She doesn't seem like May to me for some reason. I don't think Dawn is a Mary-Sue because she isn't perfect, She doesn't always win contests and she doesn't always win battles either. I think I might be a little crazy right now but oh well xD

I have noticed one thing. I have yet to find a person who can give me a good list of PokeShipping hints. All they do is state what they think and nothing else. They also say that PearlShippers don't give any proof beyond Dawn and Ash being friends. This is laughable as PokeShippers don't say anything at all.
*EPIC facepalm* The irony. It burns.

;_; some of the previous posts really make me sad. Pokeshippers have no need to constantly bring up hints 'cuz the hints are clear as day and cant be denied (such as Ash getting jealous over Misty liking Danny, Ash staring at Misty speechless when she appeared in her kimono, Ash being accused of liking Misty several times etc etc the list goes way on), unlike Pearlshipping hints that can easily be debunked and marked as acts of friendship (giving your buddy a high five). I have yet to see a solid hint list for Pearlshipping (that includes denies, blushes, etc)

Hmm...maybe we should ignore Misty, ignore Dawn and ignore friendship for a second and focus on Ash. Can the hints from Ash's side really be stronger for Pearlshipping than they are for Pokeshipping? Has Ash ever payed attention to Dawns looks and/or commented her on them? Has he ever gotten jealous when she was close to another guy? Has he ever been accused of liking Dawn or blushed at her? Would you say Ash has made more physical contact with Dawn than he has with Misty? If you said yes to any of the following you probably have your head stuck under the sand. ASH is the key to an Ash+Maingirl ship, and when it comes to Pokeshipping ASH has shown interest in Misty. Misty showing interest in Ash is only a bonus.

In terms of friendship I think Dawn and Misty are on the same level. Misty is confirmed best friend status (by Ash and Brock in GCYL) whilst Dawn has the tons of obvious high fives, cheerleading, High Touch etc. May IMO is just a little less close to Ash because she was too busy getting closer to her brother and Drew.

Oh and about the age thing well...everyone in Japan including myself know 100% Misty is the same age as Ash. Dawn on the other hand is 10 now, making her younger than Ash if characters age in the anime.

In the end Ash may never find true love but who cares. We still have imagination:spin:

unrelated
Ultradude2192 are you a Pearlshipper or Pokeshipper o_O? I cant tell xD

Random point:

Ok, about the Ash saving Dawn point for Pearlshipping, it's one of those "believing is seeing"-type hints.
However, as a fellow poster said, "believing is seeing". Meaning if you don't like/believe in poké, you won't see hints for it, and likewise for pokéshippers talking about pearl.

For many people, animes, and mangas, saving someone is considered a very strong hint. And why not? One person puts his/her life on the line to help another. However, we also look at it this way: it is a weak hint. I mean, who wouldn't save their friend?

This is a fairly arguable hint, as it can be interpreted both ways by different shippers. But because it is sometimes put in with the purpose of showing affection, I'll give you that. This is just me, though, and a ton of pokéshippers out there still don't see it as a hint.

To tell the truth, it's a weak one for me (Guess what, Pearlshippers! I actually consider it a hint!). Why? The context it was placed in. I've seen the same hint used in other animes and mangas for canon pairings, but it was somehow...different. Like this hint wasn't meant to be one.

Maybe that's just the "believing is seeing" problem. Even though I am a partial pearlshipper.

You know, a lot (A LOT) of shows and book series are never afraid to kill off ships. Look at Avatar and Harry Potter. Twilight even. Those guys are FAMOUS for shipping wars, and what happens? One becomes canon, the other doesn't. What says Pokemon is any different? I get the feeling that Ash and Misty were meant to be a couple from Episode 1.
The thing with all the stuff that you mentioned is that the hints were extremely obvious for the most part, and romance played a pretty big part in them. Pokemon is a show were romance doesn't play that big of a roll, so you never know what will happen. And unlike all those other things, Pokemon isn't very straight forward when it comes to hints, with like five girls liking Ash and Ash having no clue what they are feeling, were as in the other things, it was obvious who liked who, and feelings were usually returned.

Last edited:
*EPIC facepalm* The irony. It burns.

;_; some of the previous posts really make me sad. Pokeshippers have no need to constantly bring up hints 'cuz the hints are clear as day and cant be denied (such as Ash getting jealous over Misty liking Danny, Ash staring at Misty speechless when she appeared in her kimono, Ash being accused of liking Misty several times etc etc the list goes way on), unlike Pearlshipping hints that can easily be debunked and marked as acts of friendship (giving your buddy a high five). I have yet to see a solid hint list for Pearlshipping (that includes denies, blushes, etc)

Hmm...maybe we should ignore Misty, ignore Dawn and ignore friendship for a second and focus on Ash. Can the hints from Ash's side really be stronger for Pearlshipping than they are for Pokeshipping? Has Ash ever payed attention to Dawns looks and/or commented her on them? Has he ever gotten jealous when she was close to another guy? Has he ever been accused of liking Dawn or blushed at her? Would you say Ash has made more physical contact with Dawn than he has with Misty? If you said yes to any of the following you probably have your head stuck under the sand. ASH is the key to an Ash+Maingirl ship, and when it comes to Pokeshipping ASH has shown interest in Misty. Misty showing interest in Ash is only a bonus.

In terms of friendship I think Dawn and Misty are on the same level. Misty is confirmed best friend status (by Ash and Brock in GCYL) whilst Dawn has the tons of obvious high fives, cheerleading, High Touch etc. May IMO is just a little less close to Ash because she was too busy getting closer to her brother and Drew.

Oh and about the age thing well...everyone in Japan including myself know 100% Misty is the same age as Ash. Dawn on the other hand is 10 now, making her younger than Ash if characters age in the anime.

In the end Ash may never find true love but who cares. We still have imagination:spin:

unrelated
Ultradude2192 are you a Pearlshipper or Pokeshipper o_O? I cant tell xD

Actually, saving someone could be a stronger hint than most people think.

Now, human instinct, even if that person is your best buddy, automatically triggers your body to GTFO of danger. But if there was someone so important to you, even more so than a friend, it gives more of an impulse to risk your own life for him/her. Take a dedicated mother, for example. She'd do anything for the wellbeing of her children.

I'm not saying that this won't happen even if they were friends. After all, Ash would save anyone, right?

But still, that fact alone means that it is still a hint, even it does have a higher chance of being one out of being a good samitarian!

And regarding your question, I am both or neither. In fact, all these arguments has... disillusioned me. So, I like to present all my arguments neutrally to put both shippings on equal ground, so PokéShippers can't say they have more valid hints. No rebuttal to mine, no hint for you.

Meh, I think saving is only a hint if the scene is clearly shippy.

And honestly...Ash saving Dawn was not shippy. Sure it was cute, but it wasn't shippy in the slightest (and no, the way Dawn was looking at Ash doesn't count). So IMO, it wasn't a hint.

I'm guess I can see why Pearlshippers would think it's a hint, though. :/

Meh, I think saving is only a hint if the scene is clearly shippy.

And honestly...Ash saving Dawn was not shippy. Sure it was cute, but it wasn't shippy in the slightest (and no, the way Dawn was looking at Ash doesn't count). So IMO, it wasn't a hint.

I'm guess I can see why Pearlshippers would think it's a hint, though. :/

I'm going to have to disagree that it wasn't a hint because the way Dawn looked at Ash does count as a hint. Her eyes were sparkling and that usually happens when they are either excited or happy but of course she's happy, Ash just saved her life! Shippy scenes are usually either shown by a physical or emotional hint that can be either weak or strong and the way that Dawn was looking at Ash does count as being shippy because her eyes were sparkling and her expression was happy and to me, She looks somewhat relieved that he saved her. Ash and Dawn have this bond that I find very interesting for some reason. They are always concerned for each other and yet they sometimes get in fights which I can understand because Ash does seem to usually fight with his female companions. Another hint I consider is when Ash held Dawn with him when they were falling off the tower together in The rise of Darkrai. He seemed to not want Dawn to leave him, Possibly because he was afraid of losing her? He held her tight and if you all want, I can try to find a picture of the scene.

I have another hint that I consider shippy. In Japan, There was a commercial featuring Dawn and Ash as well as a few Pokemon but the shippy thing about that commercial is that Ash's arm was around Dawn's waist and his hand was on her waist too. I consider this a shippy moment because his hand is on her waist and it looks like he is pulling her closer to him. It might be my imagination but I think that is what the person who made the commercial was trying to do.

I would like to bring up the fact that Misty's Japanese voice actress quit so Misty isn't going to be coming back unless they find another actress which is very possible. Another fact is Misty's Song, A song that is sung by Misty's English voice actress and not her Japanese actress so the song isn't really from the original anime but it's another thing that 4kids did to make PokeShipping seem more canon than the other shippings. I actually find this a little bit unfair because 4kids is just trying to make PokeShipping happen when they don't get a say in what the actual writers do with the anime. The song High Touch! features both Ash and Dawn singing about their relationship with their Pokemon and each other but more so each other. The song is actually in Japanese so I can't understand it but I think it's saying something about thanking each other for being with one another on their journey. Anyway, I consider the song High Touch! a hint about their friendship and maybe their romantic relationship.

I have a question for the fellow PearlShippers and the PokeShippers too. What made you develop a liking of the shipping you support? What is your favorite PokeShipping/PearlShipping episode or movie?

For me, I fell for PearlShipping because of the similarities that they share. For example, Both of them saw a legendary Pokemon when they were starting off their journey and they have a lot of similarities because of their Pokemon. Both of them have had their Pokemon disobey them and they did trade their Pokemon with one another.
My favorite episode is Tanks For The Memories! and my favorite movie had to be The Rise of Darkrai but I also liked Giratina And The Sky Warrior. I'm a little stuck between the two because both of them were such great movies and they had some PearlShipping hints in there so I was satisfied.

I'm going to have to disagree that it wasn't a hint because the way Dawn looked at Ash does count as a hint. Her eyes were sparkling and that usually happens when they are either excited or happy but of course she's happy, Ash just saved her life! Shippy scenes are usually either shown by a physical or emotional hint that can be either weak or strong and the way that Dawn was looking at Ash does count as being shippy because her eyes were sparkling and her expression was happy and to me, She looks somewhat relieved that he saved her. Ash and Dawn have this bond that I find very interesting for some reason. They are always concerned for each other and yet they sometimes get in fights which I can understand because Ash does seem to usually fight with his female companions. Another hint I consider is when Ash held Dawn with him when they were falling off the tower together in The rise of Darkrai. He seemed to not want Dawn to leave him, Possibly because he was afraid of losing her? He held her tight and if you all want, I can try to find a picture of the scene.

Call me crazy, but I just didn't see what was so shippy about the way Dawn was staring at Ash. She just looked happy because Ash rescued her from falling to her doom, that's all. Perhaps it's because I'm not a Pearlshipper myself, but I really didn't see anything there that showed it was meant to be a hint. I don't know, it depends on whether you support Pearlshipping, I guess. If you support it then that's a hint, and if you don't, then it isn't.

I have another hint that I consider shippy. In Japan, There was a commercial featuring Dawn and Ash as well as a few Pokemon but the shippy thing about that commercial is that Ash's arm was around Dawn's waist and his hand was on her waist too. I consider this a shippy moment because his hand is on her waist and it looks like he is pulling her closer to him. It might be my imagination but I think that is what the person who made the commercial was trying to do.

Ash didn't have his arm around Dawn. He was just making a fist behind her back. :O

I would like to bring up the fact that Misty's Japanese voice actress quit so Misty isn't going to be coming back unless they find another actress which is very possible. Another fact is Misty's Song, A song that is sung by Misty's English voice actress and not her Japanese actress so the song isn't really from the original anime but it's another thing that 4kids did to make PokeShipping seem more canon than the other shippings. I actually find this a little bit unfair because 4kids is just trying to make PokeShipping happen when they don't get a say in what the actual writers do with the anime. The song High Touch! features both Ash and Dawn singing about their relationship with their Pokemon and each other but more so each other. The song is actually in Japanese so I can't understand it but I think it's saying something about thanking each other for being with one another on their journey. Anyway, I consider the song High Touch! a hint about their friendship and maybe their romantic relationship.

Since when did her voice actress quit? I never heard about that. And just FYI, most Pokeshippers I know don't consider Misty's Song to be a hint. A lot of Pokeshippers look down on that song, actually. You also realize that Pokeshipping did primarily happen in the Japanese version and 4Kids just added a little extra, like Misty's line about being married and Ash's line about Misty in the Jirachi movie. And about High Touch, I've said it before and I'll say it again: it's not a romantic song. It's about Ash and Dawn's friendship.

I have a question for the fellow PearlShippers and the PokeShippers too. What made you develop a liking of the shipping you support? What is your favorite PokeShipping/PearlShipping episode or movie?

For me, I fell for PearlShipping because of the similarities that they share. For example, Both of them saw a legendary Pokemon when they were starting off their journey and they have a lot of similarities because of their Pokemon. Both of them have had their Pokemon disobey them and they did trade their Pokemon with one another.
My favorite episode is Tanks For The Memories! and my favorite movie had to be The Rise of Darkrai but I also liked Giratina And The Sky Warrior. I'm a little stuck between the two because both of them were such great movies and they had some PearlShipping hints in there so I was satisfied.

For me, I started to love Pokeshipping not only because Ash and Misty look completely adorable together, but because of the great hints they share. Misty's crush on Ash was very blatant and cute, and they had some of the best interactions on the whole show. I also like that Ash and Misty didn't really have similarities. Ships where the characters have a lot of similarities bore the hell out of me, and I much prefer ships where opposites attract--another reason for why I love Pokeshipping.

My favorite Pokeshipping episodes are Misty Meets Her Match, The Ghost of Maiden's Peak, The Tower of Terror, Pokeball Peril and Wherefore Art Thou Pokemon, among many others. My favorite movie for Pokeshipping was The Power of One, because come on. That movie had more shippiness than any other Pokemon movie so far, no question.

Just a heads up--I do respect your opinion and the fact that you're a Pearlshipper. This is just my two cents.

Umm...why doesn't anyone seem to get that almost no pokéshippers consider Misty's song a hint?

For the most part, I agree, but the psychological facts can't be ignored either!

Umm...why doesn't anyone seem to get that almost no pokéshippers consider Misty's song a hint?

I get it but some PokeShippers in the US do consider Misty's Song as a hint because it was made in the US.

Last edited:
Warning! Rant below! Reader discretion is advised!

Why I don't like PearlShipping.

I am a Pokeshipper and I'm a flexible shipper. I can read fanfics that are not about my fave Ash ship and enjoy them. But there's a ship that I can't agree with, PearlShipping.

I can respect you for being a Pearlshipper as long you don't go rabid on me and the other shippers out there. I've seen Pearlshippers go to various threads (like Pokeshipping) and spam their favorite ship while debunking the other. Then they're telling us (in Pokeshippers POV) to get over our ship because it's old or it's not cool; get with the times!

The "hints" of Pearlshipping are basically over exaggerated or non-existent. High Touch? Saving each others lives? Smiling at each other? No. This ship is a level above being a crack pairing.

This is my opinion of this ship and if you don't like it then that just hard cheese.:sweat:

I get it but some PokeShippers in the US do consider Misty's Song as a hint because it was made in the US.

I guess they're not quite as big on shipping as I am then (because they don't dig deeper to figure things out, I always had thought Misty's voice was a little strange. Yeah, it turned out as Ash's mom's voice actor), but most US shippers I know don't consider it a hint. In fact, they don't like that the dub added Misty's song. But you're right, there are some out there. You probably won't find them in these forums, though.

Yoshi-san, don't say the hints are non-existent. Saving someone can be a hint, although I don't think the context was right for Pearlshipping. Smiling and staring can be as well, but the context problem comes up again. (Pearl example: Ash stares at Dawn. Dawn turns around. She smiles, Ash smiles back. Poké example: At a festival, when Ash stares at Misty in her yukata, we have the pink background and harp thingy used so often in shoujo animes. As far as I know Pokémon is NOT a shoujo anime) Also, Ultradude has pointed out he's debunked that arguement repeatedly. With psychological facts.

Last edited:
I can respect you for being a Pearlshipper as long you don't go rabid on me and the other shippers out there.

No need to worry! I won't go rabid on you, I respect your opinion because I used to be a PokeShipper.

I guess they're not quite as big on shipping as I am then (because they don't dig deeper to figure things out, I always had thought Misty's voice was a little strange. Yeah, it turned out as Ash's mom's voice actor), but most US shippers I know don't consider it a hint. In fact, they don't like that the dub added Misty's song. But you're right, there are some out there. You probably won't find them in these forums, though.

Yeah, Most of them won't be in these forums. It was Ash's mom's voice actor? That is a little weird xD

The "hints" of Pearlshipping are basically over exaggerated or non-existent. High Touch? Saving each others lives? Smiling at each other? No. This ship is a level above being a crack pairing.

I would definitely say the hints are over exaggerated, since Pearlshippers really do believe in their ship a lot based on these hints, but we as Pokeshippers don't see them as hints a lot. It obviously depends on which ship you support, but IMO, as a Pokeshipper, Pearlshipping hints...are not hints. They're just two friends high fiving and wishing each other well. :/

I agree with this for the most part, being the pokeshipper I am, but I can see why pearlshippers see those as hints. The High Touch and smiling at each other are not hints at all, but I guess saving someone could be a hint, depending on how you look at it. And remember, most shippers will do anything to make their ship seem more canon. I've seen pokeshippers do it too.

Yeah >.< Us PearlShippers don't have a lot of hints yet because D&P hasn't been on as long as the original series so obviously you PokeShippers have more hints than us but it doesn't really make your couple canon because not many of the couples are canon except for FranticShipping.

Also, Can we please stop the bashing a little or at least tone it down? Us PearlShippers aren't that hard to deal with ya know. I'm just wondering about this but why can't we all just get along? Oh wow, I must sound like a nerd >.< But I'd really love it if we could stop the bashing of PearlShipping because it has the same chances as PokeShipping at being canon so really, We don't have to bash just so we are sure that there is no competition for the ship that we like and I actually find bashing other ships a little bit low because they're just fan based couples and they all have the same chances of being canon. Okay, Rant about bashing other ships is over and sorry if I come off as rude, I just hate when other people bash other ships just so their ship comes out on top.

I guess this applies to any ship. Bashing is never okay. Depending on what a person values more, a ship may appear more likely to one than to another, and in some cases some ships are based on very thin hints, but it's impossible for most shippings to declare it "the abolute truth that will happen unless the world ends today!" But we must also be honest enough to admit that in both camps there are fans that tend to brag about/be so extremely devoted to their ship and putting it sky high above other ships, and those overconfident words may act as bait for bashing. So a bit more modesty on both sides might be fitting... :idea:

As a Pokeshipper, it annoys me to see bashing of other Satoshi ships/shippers :/ Guys, it's us who are getting a bad name for this.

I guess I'm sort of tired of this debate at any rate. Because the Poke/Pearshippers on these forums are actually both really nice and this belligerence is just belligerence, we've pretty much used up all the arguments there are, as Ultradude said. Why can't shippers just get along?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom