• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pet Peeves?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eyeofchaos

Reaction score
We all love Pokemon here, but are there things about the Pokemon fandom that turn you off? I mean, something that a lot of Pokemon fans like or do that you don't?

Here are my pet peeves:

1. The obsessive speculation about future generations. I think we should let the people at Nintendo do their jobs and surprise us, and not tell them what to do.
2. Gay shippings. I'm no purist about couplings (in fact, I support a few non-canon ones), but some of the gay shippings are kind of gross.
3. Demonizing fanfics. This really gets my goat. Usually it's done by immature people. I've read a number of fanfics in which Byron was portrayed as cruel, arrogant, and abusive towards Roark. I know that Byron has his flaws, but I don't think cruelty is one of them! And I've seen demonization been done to other characters as well.
4. Immature fans, or "fanatics" as I call them. By this, I mean people who act like a lot of the Twilight fans (obsessed with it to the point that they worship it like a god).
5. Some of the terminology, such as Lati@s and Eeveelution, get annoying after a while. I'm not trying to offend anyone who uses these terms; this is just my opinions.

What are certain Pokemon fandom aspects that you don't care for?

(I hope I'm not trying to offend anyone. I am NOT criticizing Pokemon in general; just aspects of the fandom.)

3. Demonizing fanfics. This really gets my goat. Usually it's done by immature people. I've read a number of fanfics in which Byron was portrayed as cruel, arrogant, and abusive towards Roark. I know that Byron has his flaws, but I don't think cruelty is one of them! And I've seen demonization been done to other characters as well.

that's not necessarily demonizing...i think the idea is pretty left-field, but like you said, you don't think byron is a cruel person. likewise, they think that he is, or might as well be since (as far as i know) his relationship with roark hasn't been terribly expanded upon. i think it's more exploring the possibilities rather than wanting people to hate byron or something.

anyway...i don't really have any pet peeves. :U except maybe those "purist" shippers, but those exist in every fandom.

* Fan-characters who directly interact with actual characters. If you have an OC or something that's a trainer, cool, just don't make it ASH'S KAWAAAAI CHAN GIRLFRIENDU. Even if it isn't a Mary-sue and interacts with Main characters for no real purpose (real purpose being Gym Battles, Elite Four, random encounter battles, ect).

* Badly written fan-fictions.

* Shipping extremists. Saying PokéShipping is SO GOING TO HAPPEN AND THEY TOTALLY DID LOVE EACH OTHER-kinda thing really annoys me. Saying "I love this shipping I wish it would happen"-kind of thing doesn't bother me.

* Also people who say one shipping is "better" than another.

* Fans who act like they know it all, or they're better than other people. I've seen it a lot in this fandom.

* People who have a go at people for using characters Japanese names. I mean, seriously, on other forums I've seen people lash out. It's not really weeaboo-ish to use their Japanese names in my opinion. I mean heck, I keep calling Petrel "Lambda" and Proton "Lance" by accident.

* People who trade or battle with hacks but call them legit. I don't mind people with hacks, in fact, I'd use legit-looking hacks myself, but seriously, at least tell me when you're trading me one and don't be a dick.

Interesting thread idea. :look:

-When people bash Dawn :pWhen people bash characters and/or shippings. Especially when they know that there is someone who likes the character/shipping in the thread.
This also goes for people who make their favorites look good by degrading others favorites.

-Extremely obsessed fans. Sure I'm an obsessed fan but not extremely obsessed. They just get on my nerves when they ramble on how they like *insert random name here* even when they've already stated it 50 times. Sure once in a while is fine but frequently is across the line.

-People who go "OMG!! *insert name of ship here* IS TEH CANON!!" It just makes people such as me very angry. VERY. ANGRY. Unless of course, it's my peferred ship(s) that they are talking about, then it just get's annoying...sometimes.

-I'm actually fine with fan-characters. They make for an interesting story. I even have one, two actually that are paired with canon characters. It's just when the fan-character is perfect and Mary-Sueish that it makes the story completely bland.

-Now the posters who don't use correct punctuation, grammer, and spelling. This has always been a pet peeve of mine. It makes everything hard to read and it is very annoying. VERY. ANNOYING.

When idiots spend more time complaining about the game then playing it.

~xxTogekiss

Two words: Generation Wars.

I really hate all this conflict of what the best Pokemon Generation is. Seriously, it always ends up with people degrading other Gens to further "prove" their Gen is superior. The truth is that every Gen had aspects which were great and aspects which weren't. There is no perfect Gen and as such, there really is no "best" gen. Can't we just leave it at that?

Also, one of my personal pet peeves is the fandom's almost fanatic adoration for the Fire Starters. Okay some of them are pretty cool (I, personally, adore Torchic) but really, 99.9% of the fans seem to be utterly, completely and irrevocably in love with these things, especially Charizard. They're not that great! At least, not moreso than the other Starters. Oooh, they're red. They breath fire. One of them can fly... I just don't get what the big deal is. But that's mostly just personal. I may not like it, but I deal with it. It's how things are so throwing a bitch fit really won't do me any good.

The whole god-forsaken fandom.

Dear God.

There's a reason I won't join the fandoms of my other interests. The Pokémon fandom scared me for life. Sorta like a certain LJ community did.

i actualy prefer the grass startes, side from torterra, i hate that thing

people who obsess over tires is mine
I don't care that half my pokemon are UU, i realy realy don't, but there was this one time, i battled a guy while i was at best by, i lost (to a team of all ubers) and he pretty much goes "LOL YOUR MONS SUCK CAUSE THEY NO UBER!!!!!" -_-

When people write in their sigs or anywhere else "is Ash's (or whoever else's) girlfriend/boyfriend, or whatever. I mean, falling in love with a cartoon character? Get a life, ya know?

Generation II fan-boys, Shipping and Shippers in general ("OMG THESE TWO TALKED 2 EACHOTHER THIS SHIP IS CANON!"), people who spend all their time drooling over Misty and bashing on Dawn and May *cough*WeedleMchairybug*cough*, the list goes on...

Obsessive fans
Shiny pokemon obsessions
Fans with a crush or obsession with a character
People that use the same pokemon every one else does

As for the game itself
Legendaries
Shinies in general

Generally I have a problem with Smogon. The people there are incredibly elitist. Of the ten or so people I battled there, 9 of them were complete and total a**holes. It's like, look, if I don't want to EV train my pokemon, then that's my decision. They all gave me so much crap about that. I much prefer Bulbagarden forums as the people here are actually civil human beings.

People and their obsession with the Eeveelutions- omg Eevee should evolve into this- and this oh have it evolve in to a dragon type..

-_- To be honest Eevee is just ONE pokemon out of 493 +

And I also don't like the noobs who hack their way through the game with non legit pokemon etc

Another thing what I don't like is people who hardly know anything about pokemon but claim they do(I.E all the new fans)or I.E "Pokemon comes from America!!".. Pokemon Nanjara and Jade are real!(Um I'm pretty sure those games, they're fake) (You might wanna check that again mate? I don't think it comes from America..) -__-

I don't really care about the names of the characters though like May/Haruka and Dawn/Hikari and Gary/Shigeru sometimes I use both names, because I feel like it, or because they sound better.. nmm.

Last edited:
-The cartoon. The colors, the voices, the new theme song...BLAH. I grew up with the first season, and that's all I will ever need. If you still watch it, then that's your business, but keep me out of it please.
-The word "Shiny". I will call it a blue Electrode, not a "Shiny" Electrode. I don't care what you say.

I agree...

When people really sit down and pick apart every little detail. Yes, I am looking at you Unown Lord, Piplup, and Scott. You all have great ideas and I respect you, but you guys are more obsessive than I am and before I came here I thought that wasn't possible. It's alright to debate, but I think you guys enjoy the debate and your wild ideas over just enjoying the franchise. And this extends to others, even me, to an extent.

Shipping. I hate arguing it.

Bad fanfiction. If you are going to write fan fiction, make it interesting. Put a little spin on it. And edit. Proofread. GRAMMAR! Pour literasy is not kewl.

I love speculation, but what annoys me is when you get the people who come up with these overly bizarre ideas that I'd hope even they know won't happen.

And new members who don't read the rules.

Um if you'd please explain..
I mean what pokemon would/are that/those be??
I mean how are we supposed to know what pokemon other people are using do we all have secret camera's installed in everyones house and watch them play pokemon? I just use pokemon that I like, or pokemon that I don't like just to use something different.

Um if you'd please explain..
I mean what pokemon would/are that/those be??
I mean how are we supposed to know what pokemon other people are using do we all have secret camera's installed in everyones house and watch them play pokemon? I just use pokemon that I like, or pokemon that I don't like just to use something different.

on wifi, if you battle competitively, almost everyone has a swampert and a scizor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom