• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review PG08: The Cavern

...Whoa. Is this really Pokémon I'm watching?
Amazing episode. Although Archie tossing the Blue Orb at Kyogre after he just said he needed the Orb for it to obey him was weird.
Also, does anyone else feel that Shelley's voice is really familiar? Like from Pokemon main anime familiar? I felt the same about the pink haired Rocket girl from the Lance/Red Gyarados episode...
They're both voiced by Cristina Vee, and she had a fair amount of roles in the main anime as well as Origins.

Maybe Courtney's vision and this episode aren't necessarily a retelling of OR/AS? Maybe it's meant to be something like a "bad ending" that shows what happens if the protagonist doesn't intervene (for whatever reason...like if they never go on their journey or they get overwhelmed by Magma/Aqua grunts)? I don't know, it's just a thought I had.

I thought this episode was gorgeously animated. My goodness. Many of the Pokémon are animated fluidly and weather effects like heavy rain and tornadoes are drawn with much detail. Primordial Sea was done so much justice here.

The short also gave the perspective of the water Pokemon in the ocean-even they were affected negatively by Primal Kyogre, a visual irony of Archie's dream.

I think regarding the small things that Generations can expand upon, it's a hit or a miss. You have some episodes, like Looker's conversation with Silver, that are adaptation enhancements and offer new insights to certain characters or plot lines. Then you have episodes like these past two that are more or less animated versions of events directly lifted from the games. I'm fine with either really-I think they're all swell.

Last edited:
I had to watch this a second time, lol. It definitely is more action-y than the Magma episode. That final scene with Kyogre jumping straight at the boat -- that was pretty intense.

I opted to buy OmegaRuby this time around because I have the original games in Sapphire & Emerald. Because of this I don't know how Archie actually behaves in AS. I had read that they tweaked his personality to make him a little more colorful this go round? or something? So I can only judge by what I remember from the original Sapphire. But, I'm pretty sure that he never uttered the phrase "Destroy Everything!" I mean, he just wanted to expand the ocean, somewhat, to give more water habitat to the aquatic Pokémon. Definitely a misguided notion.

I'm not sure how to feel about the voice acting for Archie's character. I mean if their intention was to portray Archie as being, shall we say, slightly unhinged, then I guess the voice acting did fit the behavior he was displaying. Because he comes off as sounding like a bit of a whack job, to be honest. At least to me anyway.
Shelley's VA did a really good job, I thought, so did Matt's.

And, hey, Archie, you can't control Kyogre with the Blue Orb, when you freaking went and threw it away at Kyogre and it fell into the Seafloor Cavern water. I would be willing to believe that he jumped in and retrieved it before they all left in the sub, except that he still didn't have it in his hands when they went back up topside.

So I guess the next episode might wrap things up, then, with how it all ends.

This was a pretty awesome episode. In my opinion they caught the destructive powers of Kyogre really well.

It's weird though how this episode and last week's seem to rewrite in-game events since up until last week the shorts only complimented the in-game events with untold or unseen events. PG07 and PG08 also seem to be more in tune with Emerald rather than ORAS since both Groudon and Kyogre are awakened (if Courtney's vision was true, we don't know if it actually happened or if Brendan managed to stop Maxie).

I also don't like that Maxie and Archie are implied to be killed, since that isn't in canon with the games whatsoever, although maybe we should just forget about this series being in canon with the games from now on. But yeah it's still 'implied', we don't know if Courtney's vision came true and here it cut away right before Kyogre swallowed Archie (though I can't see any way he could survive that).

I'ts a shame we're not going to see a direct follow-up to this episode, but the events that happened here gotta have some effect on next week's episode. Kyogre was basically flooding the entire Hoenn region, so they can't act as if nothing has happened the next episode and Hoenn is perfectly fine (though I think that may still happen). Regarding my comment on Emerald, I can see next episode being about Rayquaza calming down Groudon and Kyogre. Though since these shorts are visually based on ORAS, it's more likely they'll go with a Delta Episode based episode instead for Rayquaza...

Finally, I find this episode really badly named. It should have been called 'The Catastrophe' or 'The Flood', or something along those lines.

The short also gave the perspective of the water Pokemon in the ocean-even they were affected negatively by Primal Kyogre, a visual irony of Archie's dream.

I agree. That image was brilliant and easily one of the highlights of the episode. I general, despite being a hollow, six-minute disaster film, it portrays said disaster very powerfully. That aerial view of Hoenn surrounded by enormous whirlpools was another awesome bit that really added a sense of scale and hopelessness.

I opted to buy OmegaRuby this time around because I have the original games in Sapphire & Emerald. Because of this I don't know how Archie actually behaves in AS. I had read that they tweaked his personality to make him a little more colorful this go round? or something? So I can only judge by what I remember from the original Sapphire. But, I'm pretty sure that he never uttered the phrase "Destroy Everything!" I mean, he just wanted to expand the ocean, somewhat, to give more water habitat to the aquatic Pokémon. Definitely a misguided notion.

They did give his characterization an overhaul in AS; they made him a lot more jovial and amicable, which I really appreciated in comparison to his dull Sapphire incarnation. But you are correct in that he never wished for Kyogre to "destroy everything." If that were the case, then he would have been delighted by the reports that Kyogre's weather was stronger than they'd anticipated. What he wanted to do in AS was push back against human expansion by raising the sea level enough to flood the coasts. This episode does touch on that sentiment very briefly, but only because they're paraphrasing lines from the game.

Now, since I have finally watched the episode properly (i.e., with sound), I can give it a rundown:

- The animation quality is fantastic
- I've got to praise the VAs here. Granted, Archie sounds a bit more over-the-top than I imagined him (though that seems to be how he was intended to play it in this episode), but from the VA's performance, I still got a sense of the fun boisterousness of the game character. Shelly's VA was putting in more effort than something like this deserves, so that it commendable. Although I always imagined Shelly as having a lot more attitude than seen here.
- It is a shame that they somehow managed to find a way to make Archie even more stupid than he is in the original Sapphire.
- Kyogre cannot fly. I refuse to accept that.
- This still should have been about Archie, Shelly and Jirachi in some way.

Next up, I hope for a good treatment of Zinnia...

I'm glad Kyogre can fly. That makes me like it a bit more. I always feel not that into fish like pokemon because I cant imagine using them in areas outside of the water, but Kyogre at least can go other places if it can fly.

I also found Archie's stupidity hilarious! :ROFLMAO:

And the wild destructive carnage that Kyogre caused was really fun to watch. The pure despair on Archie and Matt's faces was nice too. I think the music helped hype me up for it even more. Nice remix!

I don't think we are supposed to take this or the last one as Maxie/Archie dying. Just really close calls that we don't get to see the resolutions to.

Kyogre can fly ... More like "swimming" through heavy rain. I think they did a good job making Primal Kyogre's awakening a disaster. Those poor Wingulls almost got sucked into the torrent whirlpools. And am I the only one who felt chils when Kyogre directed itself toward Archie's submarine ship? RIP

And like everyone else... Archie, you said you're going to control Kyogre using the Blue Orb and you just threw it?

I thought Shelly looked fine. Some parts looked bad, but it wasn't that jarring to ruin the mood imo. At least a lot of things were better than the over-the-top swag from the Team Rocket episodes. I liked Archie's voice acting - whoever he is, he really put in a lot of effort to show Archie with a tough pirate-captian vibe.

smalllady has the right idea. This is a hypothetical scenario that describes what would have happened had the Hoenn protagonist been passive.

Generations is implying that if Brendan isn't the protagonist, May fails to replicate his actions from the other universe.

Thirty-four year old Imai Arifumi confirmed on Twitter that he was the storyboard artist and director of this short. He probably contributed key animation, too, given that such is his usual role. Imai uses Flash to his animation, so it's no surprise that he would be asked to work on a OLM project now that they are moving over to digital production.

Always saw Kyogre as intimidating but this just went high in the "holy shit" quota.

Almost forgot I was watching Pokemon for a second.

What is it with Generations and making characters look so ripped?

I mean, just look at Archie, and the two female Team Aqua members; just look at their exposed bellies...

Sort of makes me wonder what they'll make the female members of Teams Galactic and Plasma look like if they appear.

I mean, just look at Archie, and the two female Team Aqua members; just look at their exposed bellies...

Sort of makes me wonder what they'll make the female members of Teams Galactic and Plasma look like if they appear.

Don't worry. You will know it with 1~2 weeks time when PG10 comes out, and another 3~4 weeks when PG13 comes out.

It is just impossible that PG will miss Team Galactic when it went to GenIV. BTW, N and Plasma Grunt's concept arts were out right at the beginning promotion, so you should had knew how they'll look already.

Compare to the costume of all the villain groups, it is without doubt that ORAS Team Aqua had the "hottest" outfit of all. For Team Galactic... well I guess only Jupiter could catch some attentions. And for Team Plasma... Was there any female in the group except the grunts? Through N is worth the watch.

Last edited:

It's fun to draw and fun to look at.

Don't worry. You will know it with 1~2 weeks time when PG10 comes out, and another 3~4 weeks when PG13 comes out.

It is just impossible that PG will miss Team Galactic when it went to GenIV. BTW, N and Plasma Grunt's concept arts were out right at the beginning promotion, so you should had knew how they'll look already.

Compare to the costume of all the villain groups, it is without doubt that ORAS Team Aqua had the "hottest" outfit of all. For Team Galactic... well I guess only Jupiter could catch some attentions. And for Team Plasma... Was there any female in the group except the grunts? Through N is worth the watch.
The Goddesses

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom