• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Phione: Not a Legendary?

Do you think Phione is a Legendary?

• Total voters

Stevenscar

Reaction score
I was reading through the Pokemon HeartGold & Soulsilver Player's Guide and I came across a little bit of interesting information.

On Page 27, there's a list of Pokemon that can only be obtained through events: Mew, Jirachi, Celebi, Deoxys, Darkrai, Shaymin, Arceus, and Manaphy. Interestingly enough... There was a little footnote next to Manaphy. It said something along the lines of "Since Phione is obtainable by hatching eggs, it is not considered a legendary."

Normally, If this were a source other than the game itself, I would just ignore it since sometimes the Mangas and Anime don't match up with the game perfectly, but this was different. This was specifically about the game. The Player's Guide seems fairly reliable, I've only noticed one other fault in it so far, a typo of "Market" as "Maket" on Page 53.

Of course, it seems that Pokemon.com has officially said that Phione is a legendary, but it doesn't seem like it quite matches up for a few reasons:

1. It is the only legendary that is hatched from an egg in a main-series game.
2. Comparatively low base stats.
3. Weak movepool.
4. As far as I know, hasn't made a movie appearance.

So, what do you think about this situation?

it's a legendary since gamefreak made it that way
movepools, stats and the others dont determine wether or not a pokemon is legendary.
its also legendary becuase it comes from a legendary pokemon.
just like mewtwo is a reconstituted mew. giratina, dialga or palkia come from an egg in HGSS but there still legendaries
raikou hasnt made a movie apperaence etheir although it will

it's a legendary since gamefreak made it that way
movepools, stats and the others dont determine wether or not a pokemon is legendary.
its also legendary becuase it comes from a legendary pokemon.
just like mewtwo is a reconstituted mew. giratina, dialga or palkia come from an egg in HGSS but there still legendaries
raikou hasnt made a movie apperaence etheir although it will

But what about the Player's guide saying that it wasn't?

Also... Mew, Giratina, Palkia, nor Dialga were actually hatched from an in-game egg. It is just part of the cutscene.

And Raikou did make a movie appearance.

I don't believe it's a legendary, it can be obtained via breeding, and no other legendary can.

It's as much of a legendary as Rotom is, in my books.

And Raikou did make a movie appearance.

Please come whit sources if you gonna post bullshit.
The only time Raikou have appeared in the anime is in Raikou the Legend of Thunder, which is not a movie, and as mecha in Watsons gym.

Phione is a legendary because GF want it to be. End of story.

Please come whit sources if you gonna post bullshit.
The only time Raikou have appeared in the anime is in Raikou the Legend of Thunder, which is not a movie, and as mecha in Watsons gym.

Phione is a legendary because GF want it to be. End of story.

"The Legend of Thunder! ([...]Pocket Monsters Crystal: Raikou - Legend of Thunder) is a made-for-TV anime movie.[...]" - Quoted from "The Legend of Thunder!" article.

It was intended to be a movie.

Also, if they wanted Phione to be a Legendary, why did the Player's Guide say otherwise?

Last edited:
Idk, but Pokemon.com said it later, so that's official. Maybe it wasn't intended to be legendary at first, but now it is.

Idk, but Pokemon.com said it later, so that's official. Maybe it wasn't intended to be legendary at first, but now it is.

I think it's the other way around. Pokemon.com said quite a while ago that it was a Legendary, but the recently-released Player's Guide says otherwise.

I'd like to reexamine the article where they say that it's a Legendary, but I can't seem to find it. Does anyone have a link or screenie?

My main arguement for it being legendary is that it's not available through normal gameplay.

And you could argue about Rotom's forms also being unobtainable, but Rotom's itself is... before the second gym in Platinum, at that.

IT IS LEGENDARY!!!
Everything points it to be a legendary pokemon
Bulbapedia, pokemon.com, its pokedex arrengentment, gamefreak, EVERYTHING!!!
Who made that so called Players Guide!?

IT IS LEGENDARY!!!
Everything points it to be a legendary pokemon
Bulbapedia, pokemon.com, its pokedex arrengentment, gamefreak, EVERYTHING!!!
Who made that so called Players Guide!?

"Bulbapedia" Doesn't really 'point' at anything. Bulbapedia is able to remain neutral to new ideas. That's why I posted this here. I can't even find the article on Pokemon.com anymore. For all I know, it could have been corrected or they changed their minds.

Pokedex arrangement isn't really useful as far as determining Legendaries, though. It would be, but there are deviations in it such as the Dratini evolutionary line being inbetween the Legendary Birds and Mew and Mewtwo. Also, the Larvitar evolutionary line is inbetween the Legendary Dogs and Lugia. Also, it would make sense for Phione to be right next to Manaphy in Pokedex order even if it's not a legendary, if only to illustrate the fact that Phione is bred from Manaphy.

In my heart... Phione is a "legendish" legendary...if that doesn't confuse you...

P.S. Ho-Oh is a legendary and -to my knowledge- it hasn't had a MAJOR appearance/role in a movie...yet...

In my heart... Phione is a "legendish" legendary...if that doesn't confuse you...

P.S. Ho-Oh is a legendary and -to my knowledge- it hasn't had a MAJOR appearance/role in a movie...yet...

That's true, but as far as I'm concerned, Ho-Oh had an important role in the 1st episode.

That's true, but as far as I'm concerned, Ho-Oh had an important role in the 1st episode.

Phione also had an impotant role in "Hold The Phione"

And although another certain legendary hasn't had a MAJOR movie role, rather a cameo, it has had a MAJOR episode...yes, I'm talking about Cresselia...

Phione also had an impotant role in "Hold The Phione"

And although another certain legendary hasn't had a MAJOR movie role, rather a cameo, it has had a MAJOR episode...yes, I'm talking about Cresselia...

I meant that Ho-Oh made an important role that was relevant to the entire story of the anime. Its appearance sort of symbolized the beginning of Ash's adventure.

I wasn't aware that Cresselia hadn't made a movie appearance, though. That's odd.

I meant that Ho-Oh made an important role that was relevant to the entire story of the anime. Its appearance sort of symbolized the beginning of Ash's adventure.

To me it stands as the symbol of the fact that there would be more than the 151 already known. Such it stands as a symbol for the whole Pokemon franchise, not only the anime.

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom