• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Player character(s)

Pattyman

Utopian
Reaction score
Why is it that in the main series games, the player character(s) (boy or girl depending on who you choose) has to be silent? What if an NPC says something says something to them that is considered a misunderstanding? There can be a situation where it is their first time in a cave or town/city and they don't know where they're going.

We, as mere players, don't really know the answer, but i imagine it was intended so that we could fill in what we think the PC would say, so that each of us can create their personalities based on their responses.

So we could find the expirience more personal and enjoyable.

I personally find it more all more lolzy.

Because it's a Nintendo game; most of their heroes work better as silent protagonists rather than speaking in dialogue.

We, as mere players, don't really know the answer, but i imagine it was intended so that we could fill in what we think the PC would say, so that each of us can create their personalities based on their responses.

^^^This.

It's a one-player RPG. Allowing the player to imagine his or her own dialogue for the protagonist gives it that "role-playing" aspect.

So we could find the expirience more personal and enjoyable.

I personally find it more all more lolzy.

Like when you find Red on Mt. Silver and all he says is "..."? I thought that was funny yet creepy all at the same time.

I'm glad the player characters don't talk, personally. I don't think it would ever seem natural if they did, and the games have been fine thus far without them speaking.

Yes I agree with the above comments. I find it calming in a way that the protagonist character your playing as just "goes with the flow" throughout the game.

It's also quite funny because the player doesn't ever seem to have a choice in the matter apart from the occasional "Yes", or "No" answers XD

I guess that's pretty awesome. Not speaking at all is more lolzy XDD

But it does sometimes get confusing. Like, when the rival in Gen I calls the player a chatty boy.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom