• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview Pocket Monsters Sun & Moon

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to wait for an animated trailer first. Plus, it isn't the first time a trailer emphasizes one early point a bit too much: ever see the old Toonami Naruto trailers?
Yeah I definitely remember those trailers! I'm pretty sure Pokémon themselves have been guilty of such trailers in the past as well.

Not gonna lie, the very first thing that passed through my mind when I saw the new poster was Yokai Watch. I think using another franchise for a bit of inspiration is alright, but I sure hope they aren't actually trying to copy Yokai Watch because it's popular with kids in Japan.

Going to assume this region is better then BW, but worse then XY. The art style isn't bad but it's definitely dropped a bit. Hearing Satoshi going to school is a bit unsettling. He should've went there during BW.

I can see TRio catching a Bewear, but I predict Kojiro will catch it because of the affection influences from past regions (excluding Unova). Hopefully if he catches a second Pokemon, it'll be a cute one.

Putting that aside, SOOOOONANSU! :D

I wonder who they're going to get to voice Whisper er I mean Rotomdex?

Well normal ten years old go to school in real life so I can see why they decided to do this but it doesn't feel right for me that Ash goes to school. I do not want Ash to catch all three starters because doesn't work out to well.

How many times must the anime jump sharks before the creators realize that 90% of viewers are preschoolers (since the 5 - 12 crowd prefer Yokai Watch, and the 13+ would avoid both at all costs unless they're parents to a preschooler). Ash isn't popular anymore given he's a creator's pet, and even with the school theme of this series, it is foregone conclusion that he'll forget everything he learned by the end.

No one talking about Grass Owl or Ash's lack of trademark gloves... boo

I like the style and the "School" idea seems intriguing. Not gonna judge it based on very little information, but I'll give it a chance even if it comes up lackluster

I'd rather Ash catch one or two starters and fully evolve both than catch all three and not fully evolve any like Unova (I guess just nothing from Unova...)

I just want to say one message to those who think about quiting the anime after this and Ash not winning the league. DON'T judge a book by its cover. I'm sure we weren't expecting much after Unova, but guess what, we got one of the best anime seasons yet! Always have hope and I'm sure everything will work out fine. Nintendo do learn from mistakes.

The switch to Origins-style eyes and hair for Satoshi will take some time getting used to. The school thing I'm kinda ambivalent towards. I like that it's a new thing for the anime to do, but we don't know what exactly it is or why Satoshi decided to "enroll" in the first place. I think maybe in order to graduate students need to travel the Alola region to finish the island trials.

Upon deep thought, I've decided to at least watch the pilot and give it a go. This franchise is on its death bed, so I may as well try to look at this with an open mind. If it fails to impress me, I will quietly walk away.

How the heck is the franchise on its death bed? Pokemon, as a whole, seems to be doing quite well for itself. We're in the middle of a 20th anniversary celebration, Pokemon Go has been insanely successful and the pre-orders for Sun/Moon were still selling well from what I understand. That's far from the franchise being on its death bed.

Going to assume this region is better then BW, but worse then XY. The art style isn't bad but it's definitely dropped a bit. Hearing Satoshi going to school is a bit unsettling. He should've went there during BW.

I can see TRio catching a Bewear, but I predict Kojiro will catch it because of the affection influences from past regions (excluding Unova). Hopefully if he catches a second Pokemon, it'll be a cute one.

Putting that aside, SOOOOONANSU! :D

I'm not sure how anyone could make that assumption when we know next to nothing about the Alola region, especially how it will be in the anime. I didn't really notice the Origins style artwork for Ash at first, although a part of me wonders if the space between his eyes is due to his huge grin, but it's okay.

I was happy to see that Wobbuffet was still there. I didn't think that they'd get rid of it, but it was nice to see that they didn't make that mistake again. I do hope that Team Rocket get more Pokemon in this series. Hopefully, they won't get rid of Inkay or Gorgeist, but either way, I hope that they get at least two captures each. Both of them having only one Pokemon primarily to use for battling really got stale by a certain point and really reduced what they could do.

How the heck is the franchise on its death bed? Pokemon, as a whole, seems to be doing quite well for itself. We're in the middle of a 20th anniversary celebration, Pokemon Go has been insanely successful and the pre-orders for Sun/Moon were still selling well from what I understand. That's far from the franchise being on its death bed.

I'm not sure how anyone could make that assumption when we know next to nothing about the Alola region, especially how it will be in the anime. I didn't really notice the Origins style artwork for Ash at first, although a part of me wonders if the space between his eyes is due to his huge grin, but it's okay.

I was happy to see that Wobbuffet was still there. I didn't think that they'd get rid of it, but it was nice to see that they didn't make that mistake again. I do hope that Team Rocket get more Pokemon in this series. Hopefully, they won't get rid of Inkay or Gorgeist, but either way, I hope that they get at least two captures each. Both of them having only one Pokemon primarily to use for battling really got stale by a certain point and really reduced what they could do.

Probably because the Franchise isn't selling as many units: which is an argument but 25 million DP's on the DS is actually a smaller percentage of the overall series as 15 XY's on 60 3DS's. Plus Gen 1 sales are unnaturally inflated by Genwunners by combining the sales of the base versions with the re-releases in the same gen and not doing that with the other generations.

Also let's see the animation first. Sometimes odd art styles take a time to grow on you. I mean, I'm a huge One Piece Fan, and the animation on that series can be kind of bizarre.

Well, I just caught wind of what's (supposedly) to be expected for the next Pokemon series and, I've gotta be honest, I'm really not sure about what i should be feeling about all of it.

On the one hand; Ash being in a "school" of some kind, and trying to graduate from it might be an interesting premise and having Ash be truly out of his element here might be interesting as well. Also, part of me agrees that change is good and that having new Pokemon and companions for Ash is for the best. Plus, I'm kind of anxious to see how this new evil team, Team Skull, takes care of business, if you know what I mean.

But, on the other hand; after watching Ash travel and see the world, while training for Gym Badges (and Symbols) for so long, I can't help but see this premise as a bit of a downgrade. Also, like a few other fans out there; I kind of agree that regressing Ash in such manner would be a terrible move on the writers' part. Especially after he proved his skills and strength during the Kalos League, with him only losing it by (let's face it) the skin of his teeth.

I mean, him doing somewhat poorly during the Indigo League was more or less acceptable, seeing as he was still a bit cocky at the time and that was his first big league competition (and there's really no getting passed the fact that he still lasted longer than Gary). But, come the Orange Islands arc, he was definitely a trainer to be reckoned with. The same could be said about him during the Johto saga and the Hoenn region period, and the Battle Frontier campaign. He was definitely on his A game during the Sinnoh league (or so I have been told), what with him making it to the top 4 and all, which, I agree, made the climax of the Unova league somewhat underwhelming. But while he was in Kalos, he battled and defeated Mega-Evolved Pokemon and was just one 1-on-1 battle away from being named Kalos League Champion. You just do that with nothing but pure luck on your side, Ash has proven himself ready to give battling the Elite Four a shot, why downgrade him at this point, I ask you?

Also, while I knew deep down that it was pretty much inevitable, I think that it's a bad idea to have Ash develop strong bonds with Pokemon like Noivern and Greninja now, only to have them basically be taken out of the show later on. I mean, Ash basically developed a bond with Greninja so strong that they both activated an ability long thought to be the stuff of legends. An ability that, apparently, goes much deeper than even Mega-Evolution does, the way they all treat it. I mean, how exactly do you top something like that, I ask you?

A similar grievance could be made in regards to Ash's current traveling troupe as well. After witnessing the bond and obvious sense of camaraderie that clearly exists between all of these characters; losing Serena, Clement and Bonnie will be as sad as the goodbye episodes for Misty, Dawn and Brock. At least it will be for me.

Now, I realize that there is really nothing that I can do about any of those things at this point, but, I just had to get all of that out.

Giving my full thoughts on what we have to go off of.

First of all, I love Ash's new design. I like his outfit and seeing him with no gloves, plus dressed in shorts and a tshirt does look nice. It also seems like he's getting a Z-Ring, so it'll be nice seeing him learn how to do the Z-Moves.

I have to admit though that while it seems like this might be a more goofy and lighthearted series, compared to XY, I am worried about how this school thing will work. I was worried from the start when it was confirmed that there would be no gyms, which means no league, which in the end actually makes me even more furious that they chose to have Ash lose to Alain's OP Mega Charizard X in the Kalos League.

As for companions, it seems like they might be Mallow, Lana, and Sophocles, along with Bounsweet, Popplio, and Togedemaru. Its not clear if its gonna be all three or just Mallow. Lillie is there in the background though and oddly Hau isn't.

In the end, what really matters to me though is seeing Ash keep his competence, travel through Alola, catching new Pokemon, and partaking in the Island Challenge. If the Island Challenge is a part of the school, I think it could work out and seeing Ash accomplish something by the end, like graduating after completing the challenge would be nice. They can't go all series ignoring a major part of Sun and Moon.

I know we'll probably see more on Thursday with Team Flare climax and hopefully it will shed more light on how this series will work. I'll try to stick around for this series though and hopefully it won't be a drastic step back.

I want to see the trailer of the new season and watched 10-20 episodes before I can really start judging on what I think of it. We don't know what's going to happen and people are already judging it harshly. If they did mention Zygarde here somehow at some point, at least Ash knows who Zygarde is and had seen it in person.

I'm on the boat with people voting to give it a chance/wait for the animated trailer/etc.

But judging by the poster alone, it looks like this saga will be a lot more lax and silly compared to Sinnoh, Kalos, Hoenn etc. And with a focus on school? :unsure:

I have to admit though that while it seems like this might be a more goofy and lighthearted series, compared to XY, I am worried about how this school thing will work. I was worried from the start when it was confirmed that there would be no gyms, which means no league, which in the end actually makes me even more furious that they chose to have Ash lose to Alain's OP Mega Charizard X in the Kalos League.
I Agree; I'M STILL SALTY ABOUT THAT D1©K move the Pokemon Company made there; TBH I'm not really interested in Pokemon the Series: Sun and Moon; I'm Only stating how I feel at this point.
In the end, what really matters to me though is seeing Ash keep his competence, travel through Alola, catching new Pokemon, and partaking in the Island Challenge. If the Island Challenge is a part of the school, I think it could work out and seeing Ash accomplish something by the end, like graduating after completing the challenge would be nice. They can't go all series ignoring a major part of Sun and Moon
I hope that is kept to; Though I'm not so sure that'll be true, But what do I know, It hasn't even gotten a Trailer yet, so it may OR may not be too early to tell, But truth be Told, I can ONLY Truly Talk about how I personally feel, I cannot really speak for anyone else.
hopefully it won't be a drastic step back.
TBH I'm Very dubious of it NOT being that way.

No one talking about Grass Owl or Ash's lack of trademark gloves... boo
I didn't even notice the lack of gloves! Along with no jacket of any kind, I'm confident these are all factors of the animators making it easier to draw Ash so they can put more detail into each episode as a whole. Hopefully this is indeed true.

I wonder if the school idea is gonna give me a Hogwarts feel except with Pokemon. My guess is this is how they are going to make the series last long enough to cover several seasons. I wouldn't be surprised if we get a whole season of Ash at the school and then he has to complete the trials in the next seasons. Or maybe instead of "grade levels" in school each island is the level and so there is a branch of the school on each island. I dunno, lots of possibilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom