• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon Adventures/Special: Is It Overrated?

NeoKING

空前絶後
Reaction score
During my time as a member of these forums, I've noticed quite a few people saying that Special/Adventures is an overrated manga. I understand why one would say this, as it seems most people like the other manga(and for good reason) but don't like that the most popular manga in the English fandom is Adventures/Special. However, I don't think that just because it's the most popular one is any reason to call it overrated. The Adventures manga is a really great read, just like SOME of the other Pokemon manga(I'll say it: Not every Pokemon manga other than Adventures is good). Is it really overrated?

I'd classify it in the same way as I classify FFVII. It's really good and deserving of a lot of the praise it gets, but some people can take the hype way overboard. So I don't think overrated is the right word since it has such a negative connotation, but at the same time it does tend to overshadow other pokemon manga.

Pokemon Special is my personal favourite pokemon manga, because I've always been interested in the trainers beyond what you get in the game. (which was why I love the Gym sets in the TCG, because the artwork gave the gym leaders alot of depth)
so when you got special here, giving these characters back stories and bigger roles, it really appeals to me.
it just kills me that pokemon manga get published through CoroCoro, so any pokemon that comes out is going to be pretty lame (just because of CoroCoro's target audience is a bunch of young kids) Which is another thing I like about special, its more shounen style

so is it overrated? yes to some degree, but I feel it deserve's some credit to being a great manga.

I'd classify it in the same way as I classify FFVII. It's really good and deserving of a lot of the praise it gets, but some people can take the hype way overboard. So I don't think overrated is the right word since it has such a negative connotation, but at the same time it does tend to overshadow other pokemon manga.

This. FFVII was amazing, but other FF games need some love (V was my favourite)

Last edited:
I think the series is good/great, but not a masterpiece or close to it. (I've read the first eight volumes, so far, but know quite a few things from the rest of the series. From the content I've read and heard... it's not close to a masterpiece.)

Joey said:
So I don't think overrated is the right word since it has such a negative connotation, but at the same time it does tend to overshadow other pokemon manga.

Personally, I think it's overshadowing of the other Pokemon manga (especially since it's to the point where it's called the manga) is a consequence of it being, imo, overrated.

pokeslob said:
it just kills me that pokemon manga get published through CoroCoro, so any pokemon that comes out is going to be pretty lame (just because of CoroCoro's target audience is a bunch of young kids)

Diamond & Pearl Adventure! was printed in CoroCoro Comics.

This. FFVII was amazing, but other FF games need some love
(V was my favourite)

That's...actually really refreshing to hear. You don't come across that many people who say that V is their favorite.

Well, I've read only a few of the pokemon Manga and Adventures is the best of them (Plus it was the first manga I ever read, so I'm sorta biased). True, it has it's faults. Personally I can't get into the DP chapter, and the FRLG chapter was odd, but overall it's a good story with fun characters, good writing, that sort of thing. I don't preach it as the second coming of Arceus, but I do enjoy it.

The only thing that annoys me is when people claim its for adults.

Seriously.

To be honest though, I've only read through GSC, and I can't say I find it amazing. Especially the Crystal Arc, I just didn't care how they put the story on hold to spend so many chapters showing Crys catching Pokemon and every single Gym Leader fighting Suicune, and then the main villain is revealed to have one of the most disproportionate motives ever.

Besides that though, it's not horribly written, but I can't say it necessarily stands out when it comes to manga...I think part of its popularity is simply due to the fact it's not the Anime rather than its own merits.

I think of all the available Pokemon media right now, it tells the best stories and that gets kinda overblown in some circles.

Of course, 'best Pokemon stories' is still a pretty low bar to shoot for, so...

I enjoy the manga, but it's not super-duper-flawless-AWESOME or anything.

I think that Pokémon Adventures deserves a lot of the praise it gets. My only real issues are that it's so popular that it tends to overshadow the other manga series (it's not "the" manga, it's "the most popular" manga) and I kinda don't like how people act like it's so ~*~mature~*~ and "for adults". I'm not saying it's meant for kindergarteners, but at the same time, it's not this grown-ups' epic, either. It's a manga mostly aimed at kids, though many adults can and do enjoy it too.

But, yeah, I got off-topic a bit... it's not overrated, it's just the most popular. Are the main series Pokémon games overrated because they're more popular than the side games?

Diamond & Pearl Adventure! was printed in CoroCoro Comics.
yes and from what I can tell, its kodomo (purely basing it off of its art, and the fact thats its a comedy manga)

That's...actually really refreshing to hear. You don't come across that many people who say that V is their favorite.

V was AMAZING!!! I absolutely loved every part of that game, it deserves a remake, not I - IV :p

I think that Pokémon Adventures deserves a lot of the praise it gets. My only real issues are that it's so popular that it tends to overshadow the other manga series (it's not "the" manga, it's "the most popular" manga) and I kinda don't like how people act like it's so ~*~mature~*~ and "for adults". I'm not saying it's meant for kindergarteners, but at the same time, it's not this grown-ups' epic, either. It's a manga mostly aimed at kids, though many adults can and do enjoy it too.

I would say its aimed at older kids and younger teens. but older teens who still play the games can enjoy it (like myself)

Very.

It's nice series and all but is it really all that good? Stop calling it "mature" too; It's a kodomo series last time I checked. Even if it's shonen, it's in the same league as every other Pokemon series. Also the fandom needs to stop thinking of the counterparts as equaling to their original game characters.

Vastly overrated. And while you won't have trouble finding people that think Special is overrated but still enjoy it, I actively dislike it. That's right: I don't like Pokémon Special. I find the whole thing a snoozefest.

But I also hate Lost, 24, Battlestar Galactica, Heroes, and anything like that, so it's fair to say that I don't reflect popular opinion.

Vastly overrated. And while you won't have trouble finding people that think Special is overrated but still enjoy it, I actively dislike it. That's right: I don't like Pokémon Special. I find the whole thing a snoozefest.

But I also hate Lost, 24, Battlestar Galactica, Heroes, and anything like that, so it's fair to say that I don't reflect popular opinion.

But IIRC, aren't you the guy who said you dislike serious stories because you can't take things seriously and is more into comedy ala MST 3000?

Yeah, so? I don't think what I just said is inconsistent with that.

But IIRC, at the time you also said you didn't like Special(after giving the first few chapters or so a try) because it barely had any comedy, or the type of comedy you're interested in, and you couldn't take the serious plot... seriously. Just sayin', I wouldn't really take your word for it in regards to this thread.

I'm referring to people who think Special is overrated compared to other Pokemon manga. From you it comes off to me like "Special is overrated because I don't like it/it's not the kind of entertainment I enjoy." Not trying to be rude, btw.

Well, yeah. I don't like it, and I dislike the fact that it draws attention away from other, superior (to me) Pokémon manga. Isn't that what "overrated" means?

Well, yeah. I don't like it, and I dislike the fact that it draws attention away from other, superior (to me) Pokémon manga. Isn't that what "overrated" means?

Would've made life better for the both of us if ya' mentioned this in your initial post instead of just bashing it and then bringing up your dislike for some crazy live action TV shows. Just sayin'.

Stop calling it "mature" too; It's a kodomo series last time I checked. Even if it's shonen, it's in the same league as every other Pokemon series.

no one calls it "mature", that is label given to Dengeki Pikachu.
but its not kodomo, its definitely shounen.
and no I would say its in a different league, because most pokemon manga don't have story driven plot, mostly either slapstick or a childish plot...
I mean look at the new B&W manga, can you even take that one picture seriously?

I would say PokeSupe is in a league with all the other story driven poke-manga (i.e. Golden Boys, most of the movie adaptations, possibly dengeki pikachu)

Add DPA! to that list. It's basically Pokemon X Dragon Ball with battles on the level of Special's.

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom