• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon Adventures Volume 10 Review Thread.

1dbad said:
Because Speed Balls are what they are called in Japanese, and the translators job is to translate. Both just forgot to localize them as Fast Balls, what they are supposed to be called.

You have to cut them some slack, though. Pokémon, more than any other franchise I know, has an insane number of proper nouns, and the majority of them get changed in the transition from Japanese to English. I'm sure if you actually sat down and counted all the proper nouns in the volume - human names, Pokémon names, item names, town names, attack names - you'd come up with a good 100 or so terms that the translators would have had to look up, one by one.

I think it's perfectly understandable if they miss one here and there.

Nah, Suicune picks Misty as his partner in volume 12, so until 14 all he's doing is sitting inside Misty's ball.

Eusine also kisses Crystal on the hand in the next volume, haha.
Way to spoil it for the people who haven't read it yet, I wasn't being specific for a reason. XD But ah, my bad then. I thought it was 13 for some reason. Least I knew it was around there though. But still, my original point of a couple more volumes of dealing with random Suicune battles is still correct. XD

And haha, yeah, I remember that. Eusine's just so odd, in every canon. XD

I went to Borders to get this volume, but they still had up to 9. I asked a clerk if they had 10, they said the newest book shipped to them has 9. What. What was the excat date the book was out?
That's so weird; I hear in most bookstores (especially big chain ones like Barnes and Noble) it actually came out a few days early. And the release date Eitaro and I mentioned, the 7th, is the day it was to supposed to officially be out everywhere. Huh. Maybe your Borders is just behind for some reason?

You have to cut them some slack, though. Pokémon, more than any other franchise I know, has an insane number of proper nouns, and the majority of them get changed in the transition from Japanese to English. I'm sure if you actually sat down and counted all the proper nouns in the volume - human names, Pokémon names, item names, town names, attack names - you'd come up with a good 100 or so terms that the translators would have had to look up, one by one.

Oh, I know that. I never said I didn't understand the errors and I wasn't saying that to criticize them. I was actually using it as a way to take up for Chuang Yi's translation, since people always say Viz does more research than them and I was just saying apparently they don't do as much research as people like to say they do. :p (since they still make mistakes too, and in some cases as with the Speed Balls this volume, the exact same ones) And by saying that I was saying it was understandable that Chuang Yi missed a few, so of course by extension that means I also find it understandable that Viz did too. Of course with a series like Pokemon they're occasionally going to mess up a few unless they do a lot of research; and I was just adding in my comment that Bulbapedia would help them out. Especially since it seems at times they don't know about it with a few of their errors. (like they call Whitney's Miltank Mil Mil in both Viz's and Chuang Yi's translation. Which is fine. But had Viz researched it on Bulbapedia they would have saw Whitney actually refers to her Miltank as "Milky" in the English HGSS and they could have used that for her Miltank's nickname instead. :p Chuang Yi is just partially excluded in this example due to HGSS not being out at the time they did their G/S/C volumes.) *unless I missed Whitney’s Miltank being Milky in the GSC games….) So in no way did I mean it as a criticism or complaint. =P Just stating. So no need to worry dude. ^^

Yeah, the only errors I've seen in the second printing are incredibly minor too. They're doing a good job (also, Speed Ball does sound better than Fast Ball...)

Actually Platinum V.1's release date got changed. I already posted about it before but I guess you haven't seen it, or checked Bulbapedia/Amazon's new release dates lately. For next year it looks like this:
February 2011 - Volume 11
March 2011 - Platinum V.1
April 2011 - Volume 12
June 2011 - Volume 13 & Platinum V.2
August 2011 - Volume 14
September 2011 - Platinum V.3
October 2011 - Volume 15
December 2011 - Volume 16 & Platinum V.4

Where did you find these new dates, I checked bulbapedia and didn't see any change?

It's funny how many translation and spelling mistakes both Viz and Chuang Yi could avoid if they would just check Bulbapedia. :p They could just put in the Japanese terms for everything that they got in their translation and find the localized English ones. Apparently Viz doesn't do as much research as people claim, har har.

It is a fan site though. I'm sure they'd rather check somewhere official.

To be honest though, as Dogasu as said, there are a lot of proper nouns in Pokémon; the odd mistake shouldn't be so much of a big deal. Sure, they could put every one into Bulbapedia to check, but that would take quite a bit of time, and Viz Media have to translate an enormous amount of manga. It would be nice if they could quickly check so they can revise them for a second printing (if one happens), but I doubt it.

I didn't actually notice the speed ball mistake, so I'm not that bothered by it. I did feel that there was a line mix up for Crys, when Professor Oak offered her some pokemon or something. I'd look up where, but I don't have the volume with me. It was something like Crys replied to his offer, and then on the next page said "no thanks" or something strange.

Mistakes aside, I really liked this volume. I'd forgotten how awesome Crys is, but Eusine really stole the show.

Where did you find these new dates, I checked bulbapedia and didn't see any change?
What BoredPikachu said. I found dates for up to volume 14 of Viz and Platinum volume 2 (and Bulbapedia is updated with them too), but the rest are just a prediction based on the pattern they seem to be following with their releases. I.E. One every other month for one side, and one every three months (like Japan) for the other.

Technically I could make a chart predicting the release date for every volume if someone wants, but for now I thought one for 2011with most factual info was good enough.

It is a fan site though. I'm sure they'd rather check somewhere official.
Hmm, another good point. I don't know why but I almost forget sometimes that it's a fan site with how well done the site is. :p And probably. I wonder, does Nintendo send them a list with all the Japanese to English names or something? If they did, while it would be annoying to look through the list, it would be a lot better than actually searching every term online or something. I mean I don't think Viz is playing the games to check for the terms or anything, lol.

To be honest though, as Dogasu as said, there are a lot of proper nouns in Pokémon; the odd mistake shouldn't be so much of a big deal. Sure, they could put every one into Bulbapedia to check, but that would take quite a bit of time, and Viz Media have to translate an enormous amount of manga. It would be nice if they could quickly check so they can revise them for a second printing (if one happens), but I doubt it.
I agree. An odd mistake every now and then shouldn't be that much of a problem; and at least all of them are minor. It's not like they're messing up a Gym Leader's name or something, lol. And that's true too. I'm pretty sure it's only one team within Viz Media translating Special though, but your point still stands. (I mean they are only one group and then they probably work on other Adventures volumes when they finish; and maybe even other series...) I doubt a second printing would happen too, especially since that would make the printing of volumes 1-7 be a third edition. Dang, that's a lot of editions, lol. But it would be nice if one day after they finally catch up on the series, they released second editions or something that fixed all the errors. Some of their earlier second editions especially (like one and three, with swapping dialogue and town errors and what not) could really use them.

I didn't actually notice the speed ball mistake, so I'm not that bothered by it. I did feel that there was a line mix up for Crys, when Professor Oak offered her some pokemon or something. I'd look up where, but I don't have the volume with me. It was something like Crys replied to his offer, and then on the next page said "no thanks" or something strange.

Mistakes aside, I really liked this volume. I'd forgotten how awesome Crys is, but Eusine really stole the show.
I hadn't noticed it either. I didn't realize it was an error 'til someone pointed it out and I double-checked. You have me curious about that error though; I think I vaguely remember some line that I thought was swapped or kinda funky. I'll have to check that out later, unless you beat me to it. :p

Same here. I see Viz has gotten a new editor, and she seems to be doing a much better job than the first. (good translations, no censorship/milding down dialogue, ect.) I wish we would have had her for all the volumes though. And yeah, Crys is pretty sweet! :) And oh, Eusine always does. He's such a show stealer lol.

Still, those things are fact as taken from the games.

But Viz would have to know ahead of time that there aren't any mistakes on that site.

1dbad said:
Hmm, another good point. I don't know why but I almost forget sometimes that it's a fan site with how well done the site is. :p And probably. I wonder, does Nintendo send them a list with all the Japanese to English names or something? If they did, while it would be annoying to look through the list, it would be a lot better than actually searching every term online or something. I mean I don't think Viz is playing the games to check for the terms or anything, lol.

Nintendo probably does send them a list (although I'm sure some of the translators know some stuff about the games), but it might not necessarily have every item. I'm not sure...

Or it could be that the "Fast Ball" name was on the list and the person who translated the name didn't bother to check it because they figured a name like "Speed Ball" wouldn't have needed a new name when G/S were translated. Or something else... Not sure...

Last edited:
What BoredPikachu said. I found dates for up to volume 14 of Viz and Platinum volume 2 (and Bulbapedia is updated with them too), but the rest are just a prediction based on the pattern they seem to be following with their releases. I.E. One every other month for one side, and one every three months (like Japan) for the other.

Okay, just to clarify there will be a release every month in 2011 of either Platinum or the main series (as far as you know not including the predicted dates)

Nintendo probably does send them a list (although I'm sure some of the translators know some stuff about the games), but it might not necessarily have every item. I'm not sure...

Or it could be that the "Fast Ball" name was on the list and the person who translated the name didn't bother to check it because they figured a name like "Speed Ball" wouldn't have needed a new name when G/S were translated. Or something else... Not sure...
That's what I was thinking. There must be some sort of list or else the translators would have to do a lot of research...I do agree with you though; I'm sure the translators (at least some of them) must know some stuff about the games, but they might not know everything. And as for the list, that would be odd for it to not have every item...I would assume it would have character names, item/badge/Pokeball names, and Pokemon names at the very least...

That could very well be possible. To be honest I never knew it was a mistake 'til some people on here pointed it out, since it sounds like a Pokeball name. Speed Ball doesn't sound like something that would have needed a new American name. At least not to me. (then again I'm not the game translators/localizers so...) But that could very well have been the case. If I was the translator I would have double-checked just in case though. :p (again, that's just me though xD) But you're right, no telling what it was that caused them to make that mistake. Could be a number of things.

Okay, just to clarify there will be a release every month in 2011 of either Platinum or the main series (as far as you know not including the predicted dates)
No. There will not be a release every month of 2011 of either the main series or Platinum. Again, let me redirect you to my chart. But, to make it easier and clear up any confusion, after each release date I will put whether it's confirmed or simply my speculation.

For next year it looks like this:
February 2011 - Volume 11 (CONFIRMED)
March 2011 - Platinum V.1 (originally Feb 1st, now moved to March 1st, CONFIRMED)
April 2011 - Volume 12 (CONFIRMED)
June 2011 - Volume 13 & Platinum V.2 (CONFIRMED)
August 2011 - Volume 14 (CONFIRMED)
September 2011 - Platinum V.3 (PREDICTION)
October 2011 - Volume 15 (PREDICTION)
December 2011 - Volume 16 & Platinum V.4 (PREDICTION)

Does that make it any easier for you guys? But no, there will not be a release of the main series and/or Platinum every month. There will be only a couple of periods where we'll get them every month, like Feb-April 2011 and August-October 2011 for example. But, as you can see above, we will not be getting an Adventures volumes (main series or Platinum) for the months of January, May, July, and, if you count my predictions, November. :3

So I hope that helps guys. And I hope it's a bit more clear this time...

Basically, if the predictions are correct, there will be some kind of Adventures release (be it GS or Platinum) every month, except for January, May, July and November.

Luckily, manga volumes aren't that expensive =3

Alright I understand know , sorry I can tend to be a bit slow at times. Also the chart is very helpful and if you do get around to making a complete one that would be fantastic (I'm not asking though because I can understand how busy everyone is, especially now)

I rather enjoyed this volume. I went in with bad expectations but I've actually grown to like the new art style. Of course I have enough nostalgia with Mato's art to miss it a bit but since a replacement was necessary I'm glad they found a good one.

Did anyone else find it poignant that in Volume 9 Red has to give up an opportunity to be famous doing the thing he loves because of a disability in his hands so his legacy is sort of "passed on" to Blue... and in Volume 10's development, Mato's illness hit her hands and she had to stop doing the thing she loved and it got "passed on" to Yamamoto? I'm sure it was coincidence, as Mato nor Yamamoto had a part in the actual writing and I doubt Mato knew of her impended tragedy when the last chapters of Volume 9 were being written, but either way when I noticed the connection I got chills.

Last edited:
Basically, if the predictions are correct, there will be some kind of Adventures release (be it GS or Platinum) every month, except for January, May, July and November.

Luckily, manga volumes aren't that expensive =3
Like I said, not everything on the list is my predictions. Most of them are 100% confirmed; not only on Bulbapedia, but on Amazon and other sites that sell manga volumes as well. So volumes 11, 12, 13 and 14, and Platinum volumes 1 and 2, will most definitely be out next year without a doubt. (like I said in my post above) Which means we won't have any releases in January, May, or July. Those months are confirmed not to have anything since the releases around those months as confirmed. So the only one that isn't confirmed is November since the last few volumes (volumes 15, 16 and Platinum volumes 3 and 4) are just my predictions for now. But, they are most likely correct; so we most likely won't have anything in November either. But on the bright side, we'll be getting a Special volume almost every month next year, which is cool. ^^

And you're right, luckily most mangas are fairly cheap. (thank goodness or else I'd have even less spending money than I do now...) I noticed that Viz's volumes especially tend to be cheaper; usually only around $7 something which is pretty good. :3 And the most experience price for a manga volume I've seen yet is $10.95, and that usually is the price for Del Ray's manga volumes. And even then, that isn't that bad. ^^

Alright I understand know , sorry I can tend to be a bit slow at times. Also the chart is very helpful and if you do get around to making a complete one that would be fantastic (I'm not asking though because I can understand how busy everyone is, especially now)
I'm glad you finally understand now. ^^ And no worries, happens to all of us at times. ;] I'm sorry myself actually; I hope I didn't seem rude or anything to you. :3 Rereading my post it kind of seems I did, but I honestly didn't mean it. So if I did I'm really sorry, was just having a bad day that day. >>; But I'm glad my chart could help you out! =) And I appreciate you understanding how busy everyone is, but I'll gladly make a complete chart to try to help out. Since I already did one for 2011 I'll do one for 2012-onward if that's okay. And it'll be all predictions based on their pattern since nothing past 2011 is confirmed yet. But I'll edit my post later once I have it finished, k? So be sure to be on the look out. ^^

EDIT: Prediction List For Whole Pokemon Special series
My list for 2011 is already done, but since some of you guys liked it here is my list for 2012-2014. I went up to 2014 since that's when we'll catch up to the current point in Japan right now. The bad news is that Japan will have many more volumes than that though by then, so we still won't quite be caught up. T_T But, if need-be I can make a list for when we really will catch up to Japan later. Anyways, as for my list, not to brag but it should be (almost, if not completely) 100% accurate unless Viz changes some release dates, so that's good. I went by the pattern for their releases so far, so it should be most definitely be right. But anyways, here's the list~!

February 2012 Volume 17 (Ruby/Sapphire arc)
March 2012 Volume 34/Platinum Volume 5)
April 2012 Volume 18 (Ruby/Sapphire arc)
June 2012 Volume 19 (Ruby/Sapphire arc) and Volume 35/Platinum Volume 6
August 2012 Volume 20 (Ruby/Sapphire arc)
September 2012 Volume 36/Platinum Volume 7
October 2012 Volume 21 (Ruby/Sapphire arc)
December 2012 Volume 22 (end of Ruby/Sapphire arc and start of FireRed/LeafGreen) and Volume 37/Platinum Volume 8
February 2013 Volume 23 (FireRed/LeafGreen arc)
March 2013 Volume 38/Platinum Volume 9 (end of DP arc/start of ACTUAL Platinum arc...so no idea how Viz will do that. Probably still continue it and make Platinum one big arc maybe? I dunno. But because of that all future 39-onwards volumes will be unlabeled since we don't know)
April 2013 Volume 24 (FireRed/LeafGreen arc)
June 2013 Volume 25 (FireRed/LeafGreen arc) and Volume 39
August 2013 Volume 26 (end of FireRed/LeafGreen arc and start of Emerald arc)
September 2013 Volume 40
October 2013 Volume 27 (Emerald arc)
December 2013 Volume 28 (Emerald arc) and Volume 41
February 2014 Volume 29 (end of Emerald arc)

I rather enjoyed this volume. I went in with bad expectations but I've actually grown to like the new art style. Of course I have enough nostalgia with Mato's art to miss it a bit but since a replacement was necessary I'm glad they found a good one.

Did anyone else find it poignant that in Volume 9 Red has to give up an opportunity to be famous doing the thing he loves because of a disability in his hands so his legacy is sort of "passed on" to Blue... and in Volume 10's development, Mato's illness hit her hands and she had to stop doing the thing she loved and it got "passed on" to Yamamoto? I'm sure it was coincidence, as Mato nor Yamamoto had a part in the actual writing and I doubt Mato knew of her impended tragedy when the last chapters of Volume 9 were being written, but either way when I noticed the connection I got chills.
I'm so glad to hear you enjoy it and that you really like the new art style. :3 Especially since you're stuck with it from now on. ^^; But going in with low expectations was a good idea, but I really don't get why you expected Satoshi's art to be so bad. I mean I can understand liking Mato's and having nostalgia with it, but really, his artwork isn't that bad at all. In fact, it's actually my favorite for the series since I believe it fits the seriousness of the series a lot more, and works a lot better for the battle scenes and what not.

I doubt it's intentional too, but I wouldn't be so sure Mato didn't know. Mato's artwork was slowly but surely decreasing as it went along, so she actually may have known it would eventually overpower her. She may not have, but it is a possibility. But back to your point about the odd coincidence -- I had never thought of it that way. =o But that's a very clever thing you picked up on there, and it makes a lot of sense. How oddly befitting and symbolic in a way.

And hey, speaking of all of this, can I ask you a question? I know Mato quit because of the illness in her hands, but do you know exactly what disease she has/got? You mentioned that it hit (I'm guessing you mean as in it 'spread to'?) her hands which got me curious, and you seem like you actually know some about it. So I thought it was at least worth asking since I've never been able to find out EXACTLY what the disease is/was, besides that it affected her hands and forced her to quit.

Last edited:
The only thing I didn't like artwise this volume was Crys; sometimes her face made her look like she had the personality of a 4-year old, not a 10-year old.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom