• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

"Pokémon Adventures" Volume 15 Review thread

Joshawott

The Possibly Fake
Reaction score
Didn't see a thread made yet, so thought I might as well.

Anyways, my copy of volume 15 (aka Ruby & Sapphire 1) arrived today and I have to say, this chapter is already shaping up to be one of my favourites. I love how the series has totally flipped the typical gender roles - with Ruby being the fashion conscious coordinator, while Sapphire is the wild battler. I also love how this interpretation of Norman is so unlike his anime counterpart - the scene where he crushed the phone was hilarious. I did feel sorry for him though Ruby took one look at the Running Shoes present and binned them - even if so far, Norman is being a total dick in regards to how he views his son wanting to enter Pokémon contests. I really like Sapphire as well - kind of odd that she has such a small vocabulary when her father is a Professor...neglecting your daughter there eh Birchy?

Last edited by a moderator:
re: "Pokémon Adventures" Volume 15 Review thread

As I ordered my copy a bit late (because of waiting for 2 weeks for it to actually come in the store) I've just recently finished it.

And it seems good so far. I heard people were wondering if they'd have edits between it and Chuang Yi's version (particularly the scene with Sapphire's measurements ) and I haven't noticed any so far, though, I really wasn't expecting it. I'm glad some of the Pokemon's nicknames were changed to reflect their English names more, like Kiki from Coco and Mumu from Zuzu.

I can't really say much more since I've already read this arc except that I can't wait to see what VIZ will do in regards to a certain scene with Ruby and Norman later on.

I got my copy a few days ago after the shipment was delayed. This volume does a really good job with establishing the characters and their goals right from the start to make it an solid beginning to the arc and a fun read. Flipping the gender roles with the main leads is pretty refreshing too, especially Ruby who always felt like a nice change of pace from the first two leads based on what I remember from reading about this arc years ago. Sapphire is a fun female lead too with being intelligent, despite not having the best vocabulary skills, and her battles are usually pretty good.

I loved finally being able to read the VIZkids version of this book and I loved every bit of it. The Ruby and Sapphire arc was always my favorite and now I get to read it whenever I want. I was a bit sad to see the name changes of Ruby's Pokemon, but it's for the better and I've pretty much gotten used to it. However, I don't like that they changed Toro to Chic since it messed up Sapphire's name pattern of having all of her Pokemon's names end in -o. I don't see why that had to be changed since the original name was already based off of Torchic's english name, unlike Ruby's Pokemon.
Anyway, I still loved the book and I can't wait for the next volume to come out!

I loved finally being able to read the VIZkids version of this book and I loved every bit of it. The Ruby and Sapphire arc was always my favorite and now I get to read it whenever I want. I was a bit sad to see the name changes of Ruby's Pokemon, but it's for the better and I've pretty much gotten used to it. However, I don't like that they changed Toro to Chic since it messed up Sapphire's name pattern of having all of her Pokemon's names end in -o. I don't see why that had to be changed since the original name was already based off of Torchic's english name, unlike Ruby's Pokemon.
Anyway, I still loved the book and I can't wait for the next volume to come out!

It was changed because in the original Japanese version, Chic's name is the odd one out. In the Japanese version, Sapphire's nicknames follow a "syllable then another syllable repeated twice" pattern. The only exception is Chic, who's name is simply "Chamo" compared to Rono's "Dorara".

VIZ actually kept the naming pattern, unlike Chuang Yi.

It was changed because in the original Japanese version, Chic's name is the odd one out. In the Japanese version, Sapphire's nicknames follow a "syllable then another syllable repeated twice" pattern. The only exception is Chic, who's name is simply "Chamo" compared to Rono's "Dorara".

VIZ actually kept the naming pattern, unlike Chuang Yi.

Hm. I wasn't actually paying attention to the japanese names at all. I guess you're right.

Why is everyone commenting on how "thin" the volume is? (Not referring to specifically this thread, just saying.) The new volume has ten rounds, two-to-three more than the more up-to-date volumes like HGSS and BW. I haven't seen it yet since my local bookstore is rather slow in picking up new volumes for Pokemon Adventures (or anything manga-related) but seriously, is it really THAT thin???

Why is everyone commenting on how "thin" the volume is? (Not referring to specifically this thread, just saying.) The new volume has ten rounds, two-to-three more than the more up-to-date volumes like HGSS and BW. I haven't seen it yet since my local bookstore is rather slow in picking up new volumes for Pokemon Adventures (or anything manga-related) but seriously, is it really THAT thin???

Compared to all of the other Pokemon Adventures manga that preceed and succede it, minus Black and White, it actually is thinner by comparison.

Compared to all of the other Pokemon Adventures manga that preceed and succede it, minus Black and White, it actually is thinner by comparison.

Oh alright. I guess I'm relieved that Volume 15 isn't as thin as I was afraid it would be based on how other people who got ahold of it described it.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom