• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon Bank

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not just a transfer, it's a storage system. Personally, being able to store my Pokemon and restart the game to try something new without having to have to keep trading increasingly large numbers of Pokemon between games is worth 5 bucks.

Well they ~could~ have just had the transferred pokemon stored on the 3DS via an app, and then transferred them to the new games.

Doesn't seem like it's that hard to generalize to future gens....

...What do you think Pokemon Transporter is? It's an app to transfer Pokemon from said app to the games. What you just suggested it should be, is exactly what it is.
Pokemon Bank stores it in a server; my point is that by storing the data in the 3DS, it costs no money to maintain....

Im just glad I don't need a second ds to transfer my pokes. Im glade they aren't pulling the same nonsense they did with pokeshaft.

I think the bigger draw for me on the whole PokeBank/Transfer thing is not having to catch a bajillion trade fodder mons just to get all my guys ported over >.>

It's not just a transfer, it's a storage system. Personally, being able to store my Pokemon and restart the game to try something new without having to have to keep trading increasingly large numbers of Pokemon between games is worth 5 bucks.

I agree. I've lost so many Pokémon because I couldn't transfer them before restarting my games (I just love restarting my games and playing through them again ._.), so the Poké Bank will be absurdly useful to me.

Just pointing out that Gen V required you to have two DS's. If that was the case for Gen VI, you can pay for the Pokebank for 26 years before buying a second 2DS becomes more profitable for everyone else who doesn't have a second system. Of course, DS to 3DS trade does work, but then at least the way the bank is set up, you don't seem to need to trade between games for Gen VI.

Not that I can't understand why the PokeTransfer just couldn't be its separate app, but I feel like it may be separated in the future once people realize how useful the Pokebank is outside of transfers.

Pokemon Bank stores it in a server; my point is that by storing the data in the 3DS, it costs no money to maintain....

Yes, and then you bog down your SD card with all that Pokemon information. Especially if you're like me and you train a crapload of Pokemon.

Seriously, I don't understand why people are pitching such a bitch fit over 5 dollars A YEAR. It seems incredibly stingy and pompous. I mean...WHY are so many people angry about something as trivial as 5 dollars a year? How much in shit do you spend a MONTH? And you're seriously going to complain over 5 dollars a year? Servers don't run on sunshine and rainbows, you know. Just stop and consider how HUGE PokeBank is going to have to be if every single person playing XY from now until the servers eventually go down has access to the space for 3,000 Pokemon. And you expect them to maintain all that on what, pixie farts or something?

What if there was no charge and PokeBank was free? We'd have shitty servers that you might have problems accessing, or that might crash or glitch all over the place. You might have to deal with consistently losing Pokemon because the data gets lost or corrupted. Would you rather have all that mess, or pay an incredibly small fee (A YEAR, PEOPLE) and know that's a steady fund going to keeping the servers maintained and in good working order?

As far as PokePorter goes, yes, from what I remember you need an active PokeBank account to use PokePorter, which means having to pay for the service to move your Pokemon. But again, it's 5 dollars a year, not 5/10 dollars a month or 50 a year or something silly like that. And when they say a free trial period of PokeBank, I doubt it'll only be a few days or a week; it'll probably last a month or maybe longer, just like the Torchic distribution will be running for a while. GF knows not everyone is getting the game on launch day, and I'm pretty sure the free trial is solely for those people who want to transfer their Pokemon from Gen5 but will never actually make use of the PokeBank feature afterward.

After coming off years of WoW, Xbox Live, and other paid services, this is a fee I can get behind. I've dropped Live and MMOs, but this annual fee of about five bucks is easily supportable. More than that, it means I'll never have to fear a dark age where my Pokémon cannot be viably moved forward. This is intended as a permanent fixture of the franchise and I whole heartedly intend to support it. As a collector of all Pokémon, my boxes fill fast, but this opportunity will allow me to take some of that load off and use the cloud to micro manage my vast collection.

I'll still use my boxes to hold one of every Pokémon, but this is great for doubles, event Pokémon, shinies and the whole amount of breeding I do. So pleased.
This is my dream come true, to be quite honest.

I can store 3,000 Pokemon. Three thousand Pokemon. If I want to DL a copy of Y and trade between a physical copy of X on the same system, this will let me do so. I can keep Event Pokemon and most of my Poke Dex safe. I'll be able to send Riser forward to any new/upcoming games. If I go on another shiny Golett hunt, space won't be an issue. My Dream Worlders will be kept safe until I need them. I don't see why this is a huge problem.

...oh, right. The fee.

Okay, I'll admit: I'd love for this to be free. But if I have to pay a yearly pittance to keep this going, I'm okay with that. Five dollars a year isn't so terrible; if you don't have a credit card, you can buy a pre-paid eShop card at Walmart. One $20 card will keep you in the loop for four years, while a $35 one is good for seven. I've got well over a hundred on my 3DS as it is, so I'm more than good there. Or to put it another way: a mere five dollars a year guarantees that my dearest Riser will always be with me. It's more than worth the money in my eyes.

I think that this is a good feature. It sounds like a great way to transfer over Pokemon from your previous games in a faster manner than just trading with yourself or the other transfer methods. While having to pay for it is a bit bothersome, it's certainly not a problem. Five dollars a year is completely manageable and needing to pay for the service is understandable. It's a big service and from the sound of it, they want to make this feature work for future titles. It's going to need money to run. If this was five dollars a month, I'd be more upset since that does add up to a big sum of money by the end of the year, but five dollars a year isn't an issue at all. Plus, they have a free trial for it, so people can use that if it really does bother them.

I still need to transfer over Pokemon from my third generation games to my fifth ones, so I don't know when I'll use this application, but it sounds like a good way to transfer over Pokemon from previous games.

They're probably going to use this feature in Gen VII if its on the the 3DS as well (and lets hope there is cross-game mass transfers within the same generation similar to Pokemon Box)

They're intending this for future games, I can see why they would do that, it keeps them from needing to try finding new ways to transfer forward in future generations and they know fans will continue to want this, I'm sure they could update this for future consoles/games. They want this to be the answer to that for a long time. This seems well worth paying a few dollars a year for tons of storage and transfering.

My main concern is if you need to pay to download the Pokemon Bank or you just can download it for free and use it until the end of the trial.

Useful, but a little odd for GF. This is basically a form of paid DLC. We have never, ever, EVER in the history of Pokemon have paid (extra) content! Hope GF doesn't turn into EA or something, that would suck. I heard its just $5 a year for 3000 Pokemon, not that much phew. Thank god its not something like $99 for 12 boxes of 30 or something like that. Would be nice for "backing up" my event Pokemons or easily trading them between games.

I think sometimes a sense of perspective is important for this. Do you not remember catching hundreds of wurmples and zigzagoons in order to move pokemon off of the 3rd gen game you wanted to reset, and then sitting there with a link cable for hours?

They're probably going to use this feature in Gen VII if its on the the 3DS as well
They said that the feature will be used for years to come. It won't be rendered obsolete when the 3DS becomes history.

It should be pretty obvious they intend this to last for some time considering the fact that you can store 3,000 freaking Pokemon XD. You're not going to come CLOSE to that number just from XY, even taking into account transferring stuff from Gen5. Unless you transfer a good 100 Pokemon before you restart your game each time and you restart like once a month, that vast amount of space is certainly available because GF foresees at least several more Pokemon releases that will make use of all that space.

My main concern is if you need to pay to download the Pokemon Bank or you just can download it for free and use it until the end of the trial.

I assume it'll be free to download and use during the trial, but they might require credit card information when you download it. That way they can just auto-charge your card at the end of the trial unless you manually opt out of it. What would be easier would be to just take the money from your eShop account each year, but idk if the eShop can be set up like that, so it'll prob require credit card info.

While I probably won't use it, I think it's a really great idea and the price, while small is still a tad annoying, is good.

I assume it'll be free to download and use during the trial, but they might require credit card information when you download it. That way they can just auto-charge your card at the end of the trial unless you manually opt out of it. What would be easier would be to just take the money from your eShop account each year, but idk if the eShop can be set up like that, so it'll prob require credit card info.

If it needs credit card info to download it then i'm pretty much screwed because i don't have one. I really hope that you don't need to give credit card info to download it for free...

If it needs credit card info to download it then i'm pretty much screwed because i don't have one. I really hope that you don't need to give credit card info to download it for free...

You can probably just get a Nintendo points card like usual.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom