• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

BDSP Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl General Discussion

It's a prequel and there's nothing complex about Arceus' lore, so far anyway. There's no doubt that people will be able to understand the lore without having played BDSP, even if Cyrus and Cynthia have ancestors (which is completely unnecessary). No doubt TPCi will play up the connection between Legends and BDSP, but that's called marketing.

I don't think it really has much to do with lore, more so comparison and contrast. Part of the fun of Legends: Arceus is going to be seeing how ancient Sinnoh differs from modern day Sinnoh, and how the realistic graphics differ from the traditional chibi graphics. Newcomers can only have that experience if they get a taste of Diamond and Pearl first.

These games need a new trailer ASAP. The idea they will offer nothing new for those that played the originals needs to be squashed.

If not, I can only ask, "who are these for?"

I don't think it really has much to do with lore, more so comparison and contrast. Part of the fun of Legends: Arceus is going to be seeing how ancient Sinnoh differs from modern day Sinnoh, and how the realistic graphics differ from the traditional chibi graphics. Newcomers can only have that experience if they get a taste of Diamond and Pearl first.
My nephew is underwhelmed by BDSP and would much rather play Legends two months earlier. "Ancient" Sinnoh looks pretty unrecognizable outside of Mt. Coronet and the wild Pokemon (arguably in a bad way, but we'll see).

My nephew is underwhelmed by BDSP and would much rather play Legends two months earlier. "Ancient" Sinnoh looks pretty unrecognizable outside of Mt. Coronet and the wild Pokemon (arguably in a bad way, but we'll see).
There’s not really any reason to believe that Legends would release two months earlier if BDSP didn’t exist considering it was developed by a different studio.

Genuinely surprised no news on BDSP or Legends during E3 this year. I need to know if the latter is a 1-1 remake of DP and there is any reason for me to pick it up for someone who already played DP. As for Legends, I'm surprised there wasn't any news on it at all, since it the most experimental title GF has ever done and its coming out this January. I know Pokemon does its own directs, but they have revealed info at E3 before, like the announcement of the Fairy type.

These games need a new trailer ASAP. The idea they will offer nothing new for those that played the originals needs to be squashed.

If not, I can only ask, "who are these for?"

In my more cynical moments I do sometimes find myself thinking, "If this is just going to be Diamond and Pearl, but with joy con drift, is it really worth getting?"

Then I remember all the problems in the originals that the remakes are likely to fix - the slow animations, the grinding, single-use TMs etc. These things alone are enough of a reason for me to want to play the remakes. Even if my character does occasionally wander off in the wrong direction.

I'm fond of DDPt and will still revisit them, but I'm looking forward to having another option for Sinnoh playthroughs for when I'm in the mood for something a bit more casual and less grindy-y.

Genuinely surprised no news on BDSP or Legends during E3 this year. I need to know if the latter is a 1-1 remake of DP and there is any reason for me to pick it up for someone who already played DP. As for Legends, I'm surprised there wasn't any news on it at all, since it the most experimental title GF has ever done and its coming out this January. I know Pokemon does its own directs, but they have revealed info at E3 before, like the announcement of the Fairy type.
I don't think that we are going to get any news about BDSP and Legends Arceus until after UNITE drops.

There’s not really any reason to believe that Legends would release two months earlier if BDSP didn’t exist considering it was developed by a different studio.
Oh, they absolutely would have done their best to release it in November if weren't for BDSP (releasing them two months apart is one thing, but simultaneously?). It would have been worse off for it, but many games would have been delayed if that were such a big concern. Anyway, I was just quoting my nephew's preference.

Oh, they absolutely would have done their best to release it in November if weren't for BDSP (releasing them two months apart is one thing, but simultaneously?). It would have been worse off for it, but many games would have been delayed if that were such a big concern. Anyway, I was just quoting my nephew's preference.
I feel like they’re doing their best as it is anyway. They outsourced BDSP presumably because they couldn’t handle the extra workload of another game on top of LA, so it seems fair to reason that LA’s current release date is at least partly due to development and time constraints that would still be present if BDSP didn’t exist.

So, do people here would rather swap Arceus's release date with BDSP? I'm taking the current 1 as it is.

I like that we're getting BDSP first, mainly because I'm intrigued to see what decisions have been made in the process of adapting the original games, particularly with regards to the Pokedex.

Like I understand being disappointed that it's the odd one out in terms of the recent style...but at the same time it's still a much needed refresher for people who never played the original, sold their original copies, or haven't played them in 13 years for whatever reason. Especially considering the original carts are hundreds of dollars now. I mean, outside of ORAS which blatantly stated it was in a separate universe and FRLG adding the Sevii Islands, all the previous remakes at the core were just updated versions of older games with new designs for the NPCs and MCs and then recent QoL updates.

I feel like this is probably going to be a theme going forward. Unless, by the time the Switch's successor comes out, they'll use this as a learning experience and avoid the pitchforks and torches completely by remaking BWB2W2 in full 3D.

Last edited:
Yeah, we need some news soon. I'm actually disappointed we haven't gotten anything still a week after E3. We need a big update that will tell us if BDSP is a 1-1 remake or if it will offer some new stuff, and we need more info on Legends Arceus. Its legitimately shocking they haven't had any news about these games since the reveal.

I'm also disappointed that there is no 3rd DLC to finish the national pokedex. I mean, I feel it will come around the time BDSP is released. What good is it if it only comes like a week before release. With the GF staff working on Arceus, you really wonder if there is a small set working on finishing Sword/Shield.

Btw, if there is a 2nd mythical to come into BDSP, and to fit into the colder weather, I'm thinking it will be an Ice type, as my current guess. We've never had an Ice mythical before. Just great for Sinnoh.

I'm also disappointed that there is no 3rd DLC to finish the national pokedex. I mean, I feel it will come around the time BDSP is released. What good is it if it only comes like a week before release. With the GF staff working on Arceus, you really wonder if there is a small set working on finishing Sword/Shield.
I definitely wouldn’t operate under the assumption that it is coming at all. Sword and Shield are likely completely finished as far as GameFreak is concerned (aside from the VGC, Max Raids, and occasional Mystery Gift).

Please note: The thread is from 9 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom