• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

BDSP Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl General Discussion

I don’t see how the state of this game is at all acceptable, especially for $60. If they priced this game like the budget title it was (~$15) I wouldn’t care, but this is just highway robbery. Heck, if it just included the Platinum content I’d be fine with it, but as it stands this is a complete downgrade from that game. I don’t accept the argument that this was aiming to be a “faithful remake” of DP, because those games had severe issues when they launched that were acknowledged by both fans and GameFreak themselves. Besides just being the “third version”, Platinum’s purpose was to fix those issues, and in doing so it became the definitive version of the Sinnoh games. Most people don’t even touch the original games any more, it’s Platinum that we look back on fondly.

I’ve also seen the argument that FRLG were the exact same, as in a “faithful remake”, but that's false. Obviously it's ignoring the substantial post game content added with the Sevii islands, but putting that aside, those games served the purpose (that every subsequent remake did) of bringing the original games up to modern standards, graphically and mechanically. BDSP doesn’t look anywhere near as good as SwSh, and it’s not even really a graphical improvement over DP either (Just being rendered in 3D doesn’t automatically mean it looks better, quite the opposite here). Many QOL improvements from SwSh are missing as well, like reusable HMs, Y-com, and wild Pokemon appearing in the overworld. The games aren’t even compatible with SwSh, and Home support won’t come until next year.

My most important point is that FRLG were NOT “faithful remakes” of Pokemon Red and Green. Those games sucked. FRLG were based off of BLUE (Red and Blue in the west); the improved version of the games. The ones that people love and look back on fondly, because obviously if you’re remaking a game and introducing it to a new audience, you want to show it in the best light possible. But no, here they willingly chose to put out an inferior product, and I can’t even understand why. For as much of a copy/paste job this “remake” was, surely just throwing in the Platinum content wouldn’t have set them back much at all.

Anyway...obligatory “this game is way too easy” as well. I see people getting crucified for suggesting that because “these games aren’t supposed to hard”, but the fact is Pokemon is a very complex and balanced RPG, and when the difficulty is tuned properly it can be an extremely fun and exciting strategy game. Modern Pokemon games are tuned so easy that it’s actually impossible to experience the game's mechanics (outside of PVP) because you’re forced to be overleveled and the enemy AI is designed to sacrifice itself to you to ensure you don't lose. There’s no true way to enjoy difficult battles anymore outside of getting into the competitive scene, but I’ve always had much more fun with the PVE challenges like the Battle Frontier and PWC (I'm ignoring the Battle Tower because endless battles are boring). Someone suggested to me, “Leave your strong Pokemon in the PC so they don’t gain too much experience", which I find ironic because arguably the only significant improvement these games offer is the fixed HM system, which people hated in the original games precisely because it forced them to leave half their party in the PC at all times, and now I’m back at square one.

Last edited:
I think another thing to keep in mind when comparing BDSP to FRLG and HGSS is that the reason those two were made was because you couldn't trade from Gen 2 to Gen 3. The first two generations needed remakes due to that incompatibility. So while BDSP may have about as much added content as HGSS, it also really contributes less to the series as a whole.

Last edited:
So.... it seems Sycamore isn't an assistant of Rowan (He only has 2) in the Sinnoh games.

Unless Sycamore is Dawns/Lucas dad
I believe he wasn't an assistent but a disciple. He just studied under Rowan.

I don’t see how the state of this game is at all acceptable, especially for $60. If they priced this game like the budget title it was (~$15) I wouldn’t care, but this is just highway robbery. Heck, if it just included the Platinum content I’d be fine with it, but as it stands this is a complete downgrade from that game. I don’t accept the argument that this was aiming to be a “faithful remake” of DP, because those games had severe issues when they launched that were acknowledged by both fans and GameFreak themselves. Besides just being the “third version”, Platinum’s purpose was to fix those issues, and in doing so it became the definitive version of the Sinnoh games. Most people don’t even touch the original games any more, it’s Platinum that we look back on fondly.

I’ve also seen the argument that FRLG were the exact same, as in a “faithful remake”, but that's false. Obviously it's ignoring the substantial post game content added with the Sevii islands, but putting that aside, those games served the purpose (that every subsequent remake did) of bringing the original games up to modern standards, graphically and mechanically. BDSP doesn’t look anywhere near as good as SwSh, and it’s not even really a graphical improvement over DP either (Just being rendered in 3D doesn’t automatically mean it looks better, quite the opposite here). Many QOL improvements from SwSh are missing as well, like reusable HMs, Y-com, and wild Pokemon appearing in the overworld. The games aren’t even compatible with SwSh, and Home support won’t come until next year.

My most important point is that FRLG were NOT “faithful remakes” of Pokemon Red and Green. Those games sucked. FRLG were based off of BLUE (Red and Blue in the west); the improved version of the games. The ones that people love and look back on fondly, because obviously if you’re remaking a game and introducing it to a new audience, you want to show it in the best light possible. But no, they willingly chose to put out an inferior product, and I can’t even understand why. For as much of a copy/paste job this “remake” was, surely just throwing in the Platinum content wouldn’t have set them back much at all.

Anyway...obligatory “this game is way too easy” as well. I see people getting crucified for suggesting that because “these games aren’t supposed to hard”, but the fact is Pokemon is a very complex and balanced RPG, and when the difficulty is tuned properly it can be an extremely fun and exciting strategy game. Modern Pokemon games are tuned so easy that it’s actually impossible to experience the game's mechanics (outside of PVP) because you’re forced to be overleveled and the enemy AI is designed to sacrifice itself to you to ensure you don't lose. There’s no true way to enjoy difficult battles anymore outside of getting into the competitive scene, but I’ve always had much more fun with the PVE challenges like the Battle Frontier and PWC (I'm ignoring the Battle Tower because endless battles are boring). Someone suggested to me, “Leave your strong Pokemon in the PC so they don’t gain too much experience", which I find ironic because arguably the only significant improvement these games offer is the fixed HM system, which people hated in the original games because it forced them to leave half their party in the PC at all times, and now I’m back at square one.
I think you hit the nail on the head. Speaking personally, I don't even ask for much. I've faithfully bought the third versions and remakes throughout the years. Even though I knew at its core I was essentially buying and playing a game I had played before, even the prospect of added or improved content always excited me: be it an extended or improved lore, additional routes or locations, new sidequests or minigames, new Pokémon, improved/updated graphics, etc. BDSP has none of these things as far as I've been able to tell. I don't want to be a spoiled and entitled fan sitting here like, "They didn't give me what I wanted!", but after FRLG, HGSS, and ORAS, I don't think it's unfair to have expected an updated experience to DP and not something that is closer to a port than an actual remake. I'm not even suggesting they should have remade Platinum or included content from it (would have been awesome though), at least not make BDSP feel like a copy paste with a few changes here and there. Yes, QoL improvements are nice, but that's really the bare mininum you should be able to expect from a remake. I think that if I had never played a Sinnoh game before and didn't own a DS, BDSP could have been fun and worth my money, but as it stands I don't really see what its added value is over just replaying DP, or Platinum especially.

So.... it seems Sycamore isn't an assistant of Rowan (He only has 2) in the Sinnoh games.

Unless Sycamore is Dawns/Lucas dad

Professor Rowan just got back to Sinnoh at the games. So, it's quite possible that Sycamore was his assistant in the Professor's previous stay in the Region, and not at game time, when he is possibly already a "Professor" as well.

I don’t see how the state of this game is at all acceptable, especially for $60. If they priced this game like the budget title it was (~$15) I wouldn’t care, but this is just highway robbery.
I was going to mention this. If this was in a budget price, maybe like 30 bucks, i wouldn't be upset all that much. I would still be disappointed because my favorite generation is getting such a basic remake though. But the gall to ask for 60 bucks when it doesn't even have more content, or at least expansive content, compared to the originals when those games asked for 40 bucks is ridiculous in my opinion. And i don't think the fact that a lot of people's first experience with this generation justifies the price tag it has. It can be someone's first experience while having the appropriate pricing.

I don't care if Nintendo is the one pricing it, if you know your game is gonna ask for 60 bucks, maybe actually put in the effort to justify that price. That is not to say that this remake is effortless, effort was put into it, just not enough in my opinion.

And this is it for Generation 4, it's not getting another remake. So the hope of getting a remake that builds upon Platinum, the definitive version of the DS versions, is pretty much gone. I highly doubt GF is gonna put resources into making another remake for a generation that is not the first (maybe for the second too, but that's about it).

Last edited:
I don't care if Nintendo is the one pricing it, if you know your game is gonna ask for 60 bucks, maybe actually put in the effort to justify that price. That is not to say that this remake is effortless, effort was put into it, just not enough in my opinion.
I know people often accuse Pokémon of not putting in the effort. But I feel for $60 + taxes and currency inflations we at least deserve a functional game shipped in cartridge. Don’t the fans deserve even a well polished title screen when booting up the game?

I was going to mention this. If this was in a budget price, maybe like 30 bucks, i wouldn't be upset all that much. I would still be disappointed because my favorite generation is getting such a basic remake though. But the gall to ask for 60 bucks when it doesn't even have more content, or at least expansive content, compared to the originals when those games asked for 40 bucks is ridiculous in my opinion. And i don't think the fact that a lot of people's first experience with this generation justifies the price tag it has. It can be someone's first experience while having the appropriate pricing.

And this is it for Generation 4, it's not getting another remake. So the hope of getting a remake that builds upon Platinum, the definitive version of the DS versions, is pretty much gone. I highly doubt GF is gonna put resources into making another remake for a generation that is not the first (maybe for the second too, but that's about it).
Same here. This is why I'll wait 2-3 years and buy a used copy for 35-40$. DP remakes look like these 30$ titles you see on Eshop. As a fan and a collector, I'll buy a copy (don't know if I will play though).

Does anyone know if certain Pokemon's branched evolutions are locked by which version they have? Because I'm trying to evolve a Wurmple into a Beautifly, but every single one I catch evolves into a Cascoon.

Wurmple's evolution was always random in past games. Maybe you've just been unlucky? I had similarly bad luck trying to get a Silcoon in Ruby back in the day.

I believe if you're playing Brilliant Diamond, Silcoon and Beautifly appear in the wild (I found a Beautifly in Eterna Forest and several Silcoon in the Underground), and if you're playing Shining Pearl, Cascoon and Dustox appear in the wild. But Wurmple's evolution should still be a 50/50 chance in either game.

This except by GameFreak pretty much highlights the balance they didn’t manage to hit for BDSP imo:

Pokemon's graphical style has evolved drastically over the last five years, making it more difficult to maintain that balance of old and new. By splitting the Sinnoh project into two separate games, Legends and BDSP, Game Freak have allowed themselves complete creative freedom while simultaneously keeping the good memories intact. They still have the same philosophy, they've just approached it from a different angle this time.

Last edited:
making it more difficult to maintain that balance of old and new.
Why is it difficult to maintain it? Why is it better hardware somehow leads to less? Shouldn't be the other way around, more processing power and better technology allowing to mix the old with the new more easily? Gamefreak in interviews talks about how new technology allows them to do so much more, and yet they seem to hardly take advantage of it.

The simple graphics of BDSP should have allowed them more time to develop actual new content, not somehow play it incredibly safe.

We have remakes these days with great graphics that managed to mix the old with the new because of powerful hardware, but for some reason when it comes to pokemon it seems to go backwards.

By splitting the Sinnoh project into two separate games, Legends and BDSP, Game Freak have allowed themselves complete creative freedom while simultaneously keeping the good memories intact. They still have the same philosophy, they've just approached it from a different angle this time.
So to now experience the old and the new you have to buy two whole games? When you could just buy one before? Sounds like a great deal.

Last edited:
By splitting the Sinnoh project into two separate games, Legends and BDSP, Game Freak have allowed themselves complete creative freedom while simultaneously keeping the good memories intact.
We're just getting two insufficient games this way. It's like they have all the ingredients for a sandwich, but they've decided to feed us each ingredient separately instead of just making a delicious sandwich.

I'm sincerely hoping Legends will be good, but I don't see how filling up a Pokedex is enough to carry an entire gameplay experience.

We're just getting two insufficient games this way. It's like they have all the ingredients for a sandwich, but they've decided to feed us each ingredient separately instead of just making a delicious sandwich.

I'm sincerely hoping Legends will be good, but I don't see how filling up a Pokedex is enough to carry an entire gameplay experience.
There's the Nobles and wardens and definitely a story to play through, as well... I don't really see it being any different than the other games in the filling the pokedex regard other than that they expanded how you can complete the dex.

Please note: The thread is from 9 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom