• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Evolution/Capture/Release Thread

Has anybody thought or considered Tyrunt/Amaura? Maybe Tyrunt to Ash & Amaura to Serena?
Why not the opposite?

I personally can't see Ash with Amaura, Tyrunt just matches his whole style more. I really can't see Amaura with anybody on the main cast actually.

Hmm...maybe Grant helps Ash revive one of the fossils he finds in that cave(totally forgot the name).

Revised predictions:

Ash
Pikachu
Greninja
Talonflame
Tyrunt/Tyrantrum
Trevenant/Gogoat/Abomasnow
Lucario

Serena
Braixen
Floette
Absol
Pinsir

Clemont
Dedenne
Diggersby
Chespin
Heliolisk

Ash always has the same distribution of types with his pokemon: Pikachu, Fire, Water, Grass, Flying, and one random. However, I am unsure with the addition of Fletchling. Since it becomes part fire-type, Ash would wind up with two fire-types since his flying types always evolve. Working the theory of his usual pokemon however can give us a few accurate predictions because of the small amount of available pokemon for him to catch.

Ghost, Psychic, and Dragon types have always been considered Uber in the anime, and thus rarely given to ash(except for gible, but he was just to shw ash's high skill in sinnoh) because he is always portrayed as an ordinary trainer sort of character and never uber powerful. This is my argument as to why ash will not catch a trevenant(seriously people do you even watch the show).

Grass types available in Kalos:
Chespin line
Skiddo line
phantump line
pumpkaboo line

Since pumpkaboo is owned by jessie and a ghost type, as well as trevenant, and Clemont already has chespin, the only remaining option for ash to use is skiddo, which makes since as the anime can then showcase pokemon riding with skiddo/gogoat. Whether it will become a gogoat or not is unknown to everyone and cannot be predicted.

Fire types:
Fennekin line
Fletchling line
Litleo line

Since serena already has a Fennekin, and Ash has a fletchling for his flying type, then Litleo is the only possible option for ash's main fire type. Whether is will become a pyroar is anybody's guess.

As for the Random type, it is hard to guess, but we can narrow it down.

Ash has never owned a weird floating pokemon so that eliminates:
Honedge line
Klefki
Carbink

Ash has never carried more than one electric type so that eliminates:
Helioptile line
Dedenne(pretty obvious as clemont already got one for bonnie though)

Pokemon that can't exist out of water or are unable to move by themselves
Clawncher line
Binacle(however, if ash catches one after it evolves he may have one)
Skrelp line

Ghost types are out as well
Honedge line
Pumpkaboo line
Phantump line

Dragon types can never be assumed, Gible is an exception, not a rule.
Goomy line
Noibat line
Tyrunt line
Dragalge

And any pokemon his companions or team rocket catch are immediately out.

So remaining, the options for random pokemon are:
Scatterbug(would likely evolve all the way to viviliion)
Flabebe line
Pancham line
Furfrou
Meowstic
Espurr
Spritzee line
Swirlix line
Amaura line
Sylveon
Hawlucha
Bergmite line

But for his other five, the best prediction is
Pikachu
Froakie
Gogoat
Litleo
Fletchling

Ash always has the same distribution of types with his pokemon: Pikachu, Fire, Water, Grass, Flying, and one random. However, I am unsure with the addition of Fletchling. Since it becomes part fire-type, Ash would wind up with two fire-types since his flying types always evolve. Working the theory of his usual pokemon however can give us a few accurate predictions because of the small amount of available pokemon for him to catch.

Ghost, Psychic, and Dragon types have always been considered Uber in the anime, and thus rarely given to ash(except for gible, but he was just to shw ash's high skill in sinnoh) because he is always portrayed as an ordinary trainer sort of character and never uber powerful. This is my argument as to why ash will not catch a trevenant(seriously people do you even watch the show).

Chespin line
Skiddo line
phantump line
pumpkaboo line

Since pumpkaboo is owned by jessie and a ghost type, as well as trevenant, and Clemont already has chespin, the only remaining option for ash to use is skiddo, which makes since as the anime can then showcase pokemon riding with skiddo/gogoat. Whether it will become a gogoat or not is unknown to everyone and cannot be predicted.

Fire types:
Fennekin line
Fletchling line
Litleo line

Since serena already has a Fennekin, and Ash has a fletchling for his flying type, then Litleo is the only possible option for ash's main fire type. Whether is will become a pyroar is anybody's guess.

Honedge line
Klefki
Carbink

Helioptile line

Clawncher line
Skrelp line

Honedge line
Pumpkaboo line
Phantump line

Goomy line
Noibat line
Tyrunt line
Dragalge

Flabebe line
Pancham line
Furfrou
Meowstic
Espurr
Spritzee line
Swirlix line
Amaura line
Sylveon
Hawlucha
Bergmite line

Pikachu
Froakie
Gogoat
Litleo
Fletchling

I disagree with a lot of this.

First of all, it makes no sense for him to catch another Fire type pokemon given that Talonflame makes a great fire type. All they need to give him is like Flamethrower or another move and he's set.

Second of all, using patterns to predict his team just doesn't work as the writers usually break them(as evidenced by him not getting the grass type starter this time).

Also any type that TR can get, so can Ash. The fact that TR now has three of the types that Ash doesn't proves that they aren't uber as you would say since TR will never get anything uber.

Lastly, we have to take into account the way this region is set up(lots of older gen pokemon and fewer newer pokemon) which means that Ash getting an older pokemon(especially one that mega evolves) is a big possibility.

Chespin line
Skiddo line
phantump line
pumpkaboo line

Fire types:
Fennekin line
Fletchling line
Litleo line

Honedge line
Klefki
Carbink

Helioptile line

Clawncher line
Skrelp line

Honedge line
Pumpkaboo line
Phantump line

Goomy line
Noibat line
Tyrunt line
Dragalge

Flabebe line
Pancham line
Furfrou
Meowstic
Espurr
Spritzee line
Swirlix line
Amaura line
Sylveon
Hawlucha
Bergmite line

Pikachu
Froakie
Gogoat
Litleo
Fletchling

There is no need for Litleo since Ash will get Talonflamee and Charizard will probably join him later as a Mega.
Then Clauncher would probably be able to move on land. It actually has legs. I can see Clawitzer moving on land too. And then Dragalge apparently floats in the air so it can move outside water too.
Then as @1rkhachatryan; already said patterns can be broken. We can not assume that he will not get a Ghost now because of that he never got one before. Until Unova he never owned a Dark type, but then he got Scraggy and Krookodile.
Lastly you say Dragons are Uber in the anime? That is incorrect. Was Axew ever Uber?

There's no point trying to use logic to predict Ash's team. The only consistency that Ash's teams have had up until the start of XY were Pikachu, Flying type, Grass Type (which was always the grass starter), Fire Type, Water type and some wild cards.

He isn't getting the Grass starter and is most likely combining flying and fire (I personally would think it a complete waste if he caught Litleo), so screw the rule book. His last 3 spots are anyone's guess really.

And we've seen him catch pokemon he hasn't had in previous regions before. Gible, Roggenrola, Scraggy and Krokorok are all evidence of that. Nothing stopping him from catching Ghost, Psychic, Steel or Fairy this time.

So it seems like Fletchling might be evolving soon(XY020) which is good. Unfortunately that seems to be our only team change for awhile which totally sucks. Serena going 20 episodes without even attempting to capture a pokemon just worries me. Unless they throw in a random ass capture in the upcoming episodes like when Dento caught Stunfisk that is.

I think Ash will catch Gogoat and Pancham, and maybe Scatterbug to round out his team. Those all seem like they'd fit on Ash's team pretty well.

At this (still early) juncture, Serena seems highly underdeveloped as a companion-trainer, which might suggest that she in fact isn't going to fit the role like May/Dawn/Iris, but instead is going to be a support character more like Brock, who didn't maintain a full team and whose Pokemon got very slow development, but who contributed a range of skills to the group.

In fact, despite being a Gym Leader who should already be confident in handling Pokemon, Clemont seems to much better fit the May/Dawn/Iris archetype -- with the distinction that he doesn't have as clear-cut a goal as those characters did.

Of course, the flaw in such an analysis is that it's based on old patterns, and the XY series seems to be taking a slightly different approach to the series' typical formula.

It's very early, and we might see Serena start to grab more focus yet, but at the moment I would predict that both character and team development will centre on Clemont. Of his Pokemon, Chespin looks the strongest contender for an evolution (Diggersby being an unlikely step). Another capture also seems likely, but here the electric-type expert seems difficult to predict. There are few electric evolutionary lines available to him (remembering he already has both Kalos electric lines, plus Magnemite, and Pikachu;s family is off-limits). Both of his current team resist Electric, but continuing that as a pattern would now mean type repetition.

I'm just going to go on a whim here and state what I wish would be the main group's teams, just for fun. :"D

Ash
Pikachu-Obviously. It would be cool if he relearned Volt Tackle. ;3;
Froakie-Greninja. Double evolution alll the waay. I doubt Froakie will evolve by the first movie.
Fletchling-Talonflame. It would be amazing to get Talonflame in Ash's team.
Tyrunt-Tyrantrum. Even Serena could get one, I just really want to see it on the main team. It's so full of happiness and adorableness but can pack a punch. Its evolution would be able to be held off for merchandise. I hope Bonnie mentions that she wants Ash (or Serena) to get one because it's super cute and she'd have matching pj's. ^^. Tyrantrum would be one heck of a powerhouse. Imagine it at the league. o3o
Skiddo/Phantump. Either way, they're both fitting. :3 Obligatory unevolved Pokayamn..
Lucario from Korrina. A great way to introduce Ash to the concept of Mega Evolution, fit in with the Korrina story and his Aura and whatnot. I highly doubt that this is going to happen.

Serena
Fennekin-Braixen. As Serena isn't much of a battler, Fennekin probably won't evolve for a long tie. Perhaps the evolution could happen near the end of the saga as a sort of "development" spike with all this emotion as such of her growth as a trainer.
Aron-Aggron. She won't be able to Mega evolve it, but an Aron would work well as a cute powerhouse. : D But it could also tie in with the whole Mega evolution thing.
Egg-Cleffa-Clefairy. A Fairy retconned egg that's marketable, and maybe the egg would be taken care with Ash as well. Plus it's Clefairy.

Clemont(And Bonnie)
Chespin-Chesnaught. Sort of like a "Knight in shining armour" that protects the Lemon siblings. It would be really cool to see Chespin sort of "grow up" with its evolutions yet Bonnie still takes care of him like he's tiny. : D
Bunnelby. It has a great personality as is. But because he's not shown in the opening with Bonnie and Chespin is shown, I think the evolution may go the other way around with Chespin staying unevolved and Bunnelby evolving. :c
Dedenne.
Heliosk. It would be a nice way to refresh his team by letting his Heliosk join him on his journey.

And you just established that "old patterns" are completely out the window. The writers have already broken 2 of the "past rules" that Ash followed.
He has combined his fire and flying types and he didn't catch the grass starter.
The rule book is out the window.

Nonsense.
Ash used a Haunter back in Kanto and has Gible with Professor Oak.
Iris has Axew and Dragonite.
Jessie and James have had a number of psychic and ghost types(Wobbuffet, Mime Jr, Chimecho, Woobat, Frillish, Yamask) none of which were overly powerful.

These "taboo" could easily be thrown out the window if the Pokemon in question were given the right personality.

Chespin line
Skiddo line
phantump line
pumpkaboo line

If he even gets a grass type at all. That isn't a given. Between Pikachu and Froakie, Ash already has type coverage against the Pokemon Grass types are effective against.

Fire types:
Fennekin line
Fletchling line
Litleo line

Again; if he gets one at all.
Fletchinder with Flame Charge is a pretty powerful Fire type and doesn't really require him to catch another Pokemon.

Honedge line
Klefki
Carbink

Yes he has. He owned Glaile back in Hoen.
You also had Foretress who was Brock's main battler through Hoen and Johto.
Floating Pokemon are completely on the table.

Clawncher line
Skrelp line

Clawncher is every bit as capable of walking on land as Krabby or Corphish.
These lines can be dismissed because it makes no sense to give Ash 2 water types.

Honedge line
Pumpkaboo line
Phantump line

Again, not even remotely a given.

Goomy line
Noibat line
Tyrunt line
Dragalge

There are no rules. The writers clearly came in to this series wanting to change things up.
Any one of those dragon type could be fit into Ash's team.

Flabebe line
Pancham line
Furfrou
Meowstic
Espurr
Spritzee line
Swirlix line
Amaura line
Sylveon
Hawlucha
Bergmite line

Pikachu
Froakie
Gogoat
Litleo
Fletchling

That is certainly a valid prediction; but there are plenty of others that make just as much sense.
For example; Pikachu, Greninja, Talonflame, Avalugg, Hawlucha, Tyrunt, Noibat would be a carbon copy of his Sinnoh team.

Last edited:
Too bad there is currently no mega evolution for Typhlosion. Would have loved to see Quilava return.

I think Ash will catch Gogoat and Pancham, and maybe Scatterbug to round out his team. Those all seem like they'd fit on Ash's team pretty well.

The thing with this is that two of the three already had episodes and they did not get caught by Ash or by someone else. So Ash had occasions when he could have gotten both Scatterbug and Pancham but he did not. Skkido is still a possibility though.

Honestly in terms of capture I'd really like to see this:
Ash
Pikachu
Froakie
Fletchling
Abomsnow Grass/Ice
Tyrunt Rock/Dragon
Lucario Steel/Fighting

Serena
Fennekin
Gogoat Grass, like an illusion to her Rhyhorn racing.
Mewostick (Male or female)
Clauncher or Maril/Azumarill.

Obviously I missed this thread...

Well I'll just go with my ideas here.

Well, I was wondering, XY just started and none of the main cast
(excluding Bonnie since she is too young to be a trainer and Clemont who as a Gym leader already has some Pokés)
made many captures. So who would you want to catch which Pokémon in the course of the XY series (restricted to 6 at this point and I consider the whole evolution as one catch).

So far Ash has: Pikachu (obvious reason), Froakie and Fletchling
What Ash should capture and use IMHO: Carbink (he needs a fairy type since they are new anyway), Honedge (it suits Ash I think, that's all) and Phantump (I simple like and Ash to have it)
Others that could suit him as well: Spritzee, Tyrunt, Littleo, Hawlucha and Bergmite

Serena has: Fennekin
And should get: Flabébé, Amaura, Swirlix, Scatterbug and Goomy
Others that might suit her as well: Klefki, Espurr and Furfrou

Clemont (for completion) has: Bunnelby, Dedenne, Chespin (and in Gym) Heliolisk, Magnemite and Magneton
Should get (if we exclude the Gym Pokémon and Dedenne which he caught for Bonnie): Elekit, Mareep, Shinx and Joltic (to have Elektric Pokès from all around the world).

Now, your ideas?

Have a nice day.

A lot of people have been saying Litleo is gonna go to Team Rocket because its included in a set that has Team Rocket's Pokemon. I just hope though it'll end up going to James and end up being as overly affectionate as Cacnea or Carnivine was. I still would HIGHLY prefer Ash catching the cute lil lion cub.

I really doubt a cool Pokémon like Litleo will go TR, I just can't imagine them with a Pyroar and them blasting off lol not happening imo.

We can't predict too much, but one thing is for sure.

He will not get a lucario. He will never get a lucario. Get over it already.

Back
Top Bottom