• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Evolution/Capture/Release Thread

Just in case it wasn't obvious already, Serena's Fokko is evolving.
Which I'd be disappointed by - because now Serena will just look more like a pale imitation of Aria in Performances, using the same Pokemon in what will inevitably look similar. That said, Braixen is my favourite of that line, so hopefully it stays at its second stage.

Odd that there's no Goomy line Pokemon on the Poster, so I'll wait until they spoil these in a magazine or updated opening, rather than the poster.

I want Florges to be Ash's so badly, if only to piss off people who think boys can't have feminine-looking Pokémon.

Also, I am glad Jessie's Pumpkaboo is going to evolve. Gourgeist is one of the best Gen VI Pokémon. I am still hoping for James' Inkay to evolve, too.

so hopefully it stays at its second stage.
No Pokémon should ever stay in a middle/unevolved stage. Hopefully Braixen will eventually evolve into Delphox.

Florges is on Ash side? Highly not recommendable. Some fans from the Adam side wouldn't be to get used to this sudden change.

About TR's pokemon, I have to say I agree with this one. Their roles in this series would be too bland and boring if they aren't adding some spiciness of evolution. While I do think James is going to get Malamar is a serious business, it wouldn't taste that bad if the story were developed well.

Lastly, Serena's Fennekin really needs to make it to it's evolution limit if she wants to be a better performer. The competition is a one dream goal for her to become a Kalos Queen so again they really need it.

While I do think James is going to get Malamar is a serious business, it wouldn't taste that bad if the story were developed well.

I can't see Inkay evolving. TRio almost always captures odd-looking Pokémon, but they never obtain a Pokémon that is malicious looking.

James is able to get away with Inkay because its odd appearance and innocence fit TRio's theme. But Malamar goes beyond that eccentric look and incorporates evil themes into it, which I think wouldn't fit TRio at all.

Besides, TRio's apprehension towards the recurring Malamar and their fear that Inkay could potentially evolve into another one is reason enough that Inkay won't evolve.

And finally, Inkay has a recurring gag (that it shares with Wobbuffet) whenever TRio blast off. This gag makes more sense in the Japanese version. TRio says "we're blasting off again" or something similar (in the Japanese version, their phrase is translated as "bad feeling"). Wobbuffet says its name, which in Japanese could be translated as "That's the way it is." Then Inkay says its Japanese name, which could be translated in English as "Oh, well, whatever."

Malamar's Japanese name does not fit into that gag at all, as it makes no reference to a response that one could give in that situation.

Last edited:
Just in case it wasn't obvious already, Serena's Fokko is evolving.
Which I'd be disappointed by - because now Serena will just look more like a pale imitation of Aria in Performances, using the same Pokemon in what will inevitably look similar.
Unless it fully evolves into Delphox, that is. And judging by the fact that we've already seen two of Ash's traveling companions let their main partners fully evolve, one that just so happens to be a fire starter like Fennekin, I wouldn't be surprised if the same happens here.

Florges is just not going to Ash. That would mean he would have around 7 months to catch two Pokemon (Goomy and Flabebe) and evolve them until their final stages, and the only things left for him to have a full evolved team would be Talonflame and Greninja, in the year and a half (at the very least) that's left for the league. He could catch a Floette, but still it would be too forced.

Noibat kinda fits him, but is ruled out because of types.

Florges is just not going to Ash. That would mean he would have around 7 months to catch two Pokemon (Goomy and Flabebe) and evolve them until their final stages, and the only things left for him to have a full evolved team would be Talonflame and Greninja, in the year and a half (at the very least) that's left for the league. He could catch a Floette, but still it would be too forced.

Noibat kinda fits him, but is ruled out because of types.

I wouldn't discount Florges going to Ash, because well I realize that might give Ash a fully evolved team, potentially, but he could just catch Florges as is (since it is much bigger than Flabebe or Floette), and it is more of a grass type than a fairy type.

Initially I wanted Ash with a Florges....HOWEVER, it is the wrong color, I would've figured blue would have made more sense, or perhaps ORANGE like Trevor in the games. But I don't know, I'd prefer Ash get Phantump but I'll take Florges, as it is my favorite fairy type. But that's if it happens.

Honestly Serena might make more sense for Florges. Though I'm not sure how I feel about this though because well we know Goodra is going to happen, but why would Goomy be the only capture/evolutions Ash gets, I realize it is Goodra we're talking about BUT I know I would think Ash would at least catch a 6th Pokemon by the movie.

Edit: I also guess that Jessie evolving her Pumpkaboo is okay. But I'm pretty sure James deserves an evolution more. Jessie technically had Yanmega, when was James's last evolution? His second Victrebel? But Gourgeist does make more sense than Malamar so there is THAT to consider.

Tbh I think it would be hilarious if Inkay involved and James started to fear it. James' Pokemon would always hurt him out of love, but I think it'd be funny if Malamar started do so because of it being malicious.

I think Florges, Noibat and Gothita won't belong to anyone in the cast, maybe they're mons from the Pikachu movie short, that's it.

The gap between Coumarine and Lumiose will be filled with Luxio, Braixen, Pumpkaboo, probably Goomy evolutions and who knows, maybe a capture, nice. :)

While I do think James is going to get Malamar is a serious business, it wouldn't taste that bad if the story were developed well.

I can't see Inkay evolving. TRio almost always captures odd-looking Pokémon, but they never obtain a Pokémon that is malicious looking.

James is able to get away with Inkay because its odd appearance and innocence fit TRio's theme. But Malamar goes beyond that eccentric look and incorporates evil themes into it, which I think wouldn't fit TRio at all.

Besides, TRio's apprehension towards the recurring Malamar and their fear that Inkay could potentially evolve into another one is reason enough that Inkay won't evolve.

And finally, Inkay has a recurring gag (that it shares with Wobbuffet) whenever TRio blast off. This gag makes more sense in the Japanese version. TRio says "we're blasting off again" or something similar (in the Japanese version, their phrase is translated as "bad feeling"). Wobbuffet says its name, which in Japanese could be translated as "That's the way it is." Then Inkay says its Japanese name, which could be translated in English as "Oh, well, whatever."

Malamar's Japanese name does not fit into that gag at all, as it makes no reference to a response that one could give in that situation.

Well, that makes sense.

Tbh I think it would be hilarious if Inkay involved and James started to fear it. James' Pokemon would always hurt him out of love, but I think it'd be funny if Malamar started do so because of it being malicious.

Yeah, but we will see James in a pity and gets his misery much worse than his Cacnea[emoji38]

Last edited:
I think Florges, Noibat and Gothita won't belong to anyone in the cast, maybe they're mons from the Pikachu movie short, that's it.

There is also a Snorlax in the poster. http://www.serebii.net/movies/xy2015/poster1.jpg
Could just be a wild one or may be Ash's.

Goomy is missing in the poster pic.

Since we already know it's going to be caught by Ash, that clearly doesn't mean much. It's likely they don't want to spoil it's evolution into Goodra, which will probably have occurred by the time the movie comes out.

Also, I really don't think anything new on that poster is going to anyone on the cast :p

I have a feeling Serena will either get a mudkip or a groyvle for her promotion starter, and that if Max returns, he will have a pokemon too.

I can image James' Inkay evolving into Malamar, but I highly doubt that it'd act like the one we've seen so far. If anything, it'll just try to take over Jessie's leadership position, coming up with very good schemes that always go horribly wrong. James' Malamar would pretty much be like Dr. Evil from Austin Powers. Also, let's face it, Jessie fighting with a Pokémon over TRio's leadership would be hilarious!

After the ep that just aired, I think it's safe to say Inkay will probably never evolve. While not all Malamar are evil, they now strongly associated Malamar with evil, and it's just generally hard to imagine one with the TRio anyway. James always has a cute small Pokémon (Chimecho, Mime Jr., maybe Yamask counts too although BW in general went against the "rules" with them) and as said the name joke wouldn't work anymore if it evolved.
Gourgeist though is totally possible and based on that movie poster I guess it's likely to happen now... no reason to show all the TRio pkmn there and randomly replace one of them with its evolution.

Now, how would Pumpkaboo evolve in that case? Would they change its evolution method or Jessie will trade her for James' Inkay or what?

Now, how would Pumpkaboo evolve in that case? Would they change its evolution method or Jessie will trade her for James' Inkay or what?

Maybe Ash will catch a Phantump and accidentally trade it for Jessie's Pumpkaboo. Then, Ash will have a Gourgeist while Jessie gets a Trevenant. Seriously, Trevenant fits Jessie more than Gourgeist, and Gourgeist fits Ash more than Trevenant.

Back
Top Bottom