• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Evolution/Capture/Release Thread

I can't see Serena's Eevee evolving into an Umbreon. Umbreon is one of Gary's signature Pokémon, having made an appearance in Johto and quite a few in DP. If Eevee will evolve, then it will evolve into Sylveon because the anime is currently advertising Gen VI Pokémon, of which Sylveon is part of.

And I doubt Pancham will evolve. It and Chespin have a rivalry going on, and evolving either of them could ruin that. Furthermore, Pangoro would ruin Serena's image of using cute Pokémon in showcases. The writers chose against evolving Dawn's Piplup because they perceived Prinplup as being too ugly for Contests; perhaps those same views may still exist regarding Serena's team.

Ash should catch an aegislash, the sword is the perfect uber for ash's team. With aegislash, ash's kalos team would outclass all other ash's regional team seeing as how they are progressing. Greninja and talonflame are inevitable, noivern is a possibility all we need now is the sword and it's done.

Even though Ash has caught inanimate Pokémon in the past, it seems the writers aren't particular with him catching Aegislash. For one, a Honedge has been featured as one of Pikachu's opponents in the first XY opening. Other openings in past series feature Pikachu battling other Pokémon, and Ash has never caught any of those Pokémon depicted. Second, the entire line has been used by M17's main antagonist, so it seems even less likely for any main character to obtain one.

Last edited:
I can't see Serena's Eevee evolving into an Umbreon. Umbreon is one of Gary's signature Pokémon, having made an appearance in Johto and quite a few in DP. If Eevee will evolve, then it will evolve into Sylveon because the anime is currently advertising Gen VI Pokémon, of which Sylveon is part of.

And I doubt Pancham will evolve. It and Chespin have a rivalry going on, and evolving either of them could ruin that. Furthermore, Pangoro would ruin Serena's image of using cute Pokémon in showcases. The writers chose against evolving Dawn's Piplup because they perceived Prinplup as being too ugly for Contests; perhaps those same views may still exist regarding Serena's team.

Even though Ash has caught inanimate Pokémon in the past, it seems the writers aren't particular with him catching Aegislash. For one, a Honedge has been featured as one of Pikachu's opponents in the first XY opening. Other openings in past series feature Pikachu battling other Pokémon, and Ash has never caught any of those Pokémon depicted. Second, the entire line has been used by M17's main antagonist, so it seems even less likely for any main character to obtain one.

I agree with this, sylveon FTW.

I agree with this too, both of them won't evolve due to marketing reasons.

Well it's not like ash has many options for his 6th capture, honedge line is not out of question beside i want just ash to catch an aegislash if it doesn't happen it's no big deal now. i just want ash to have a fully evolved team for the first time.

With Ash learning that Sceptile can mega evolve, small chance perhaps of Sceptile returning and undergoing mega evolution?

No, it seems like Scottie will be the one with a Mega Sceptile. Scottie said that it was his dream to have his starter Pokémon Mega Evolve. If Ash does have his Sceptile Mega Evolve, it will probably be after Scottie Mega Evolves his.

Here is my prediction:
Ash - Pikachu, Greninja, Talonflame, Hawlucha, Noivern and Aegislash.
Serena - Delphox, Pancham and Sylveon.
Clemont - Diggersby, Chesnaught, Luxray, Dedenne, Magnezone and Heliolisk.

Mega evolutions Ash could use: Charizard X/Y, Heracross, Glalie and Sceptile.
I say Ash would use Glalie since it needs more attention.

I can't see Serena's Eevee evolving into an Umbreon. Umbreon is one of Gary's signature Pokémon,
I fail to see why this even remotely matters. It's not like any of Ash's female traveling companions ever caught same species of Pokemon that Ash caught, right. I mean Ash is THE main character, I mean Gary's role within the anime is inconsequential in comparison to Ash's, so why would they share same species with Ash but not Gary?

If Eevee will evolve, then it will evolve into Sylveon because the anime is currently advertising Gen VI Pokémon, of which Sylveon is part of.

Eevee because of its shallow move pool really has no choice but to evolve. That said I disagree, it will only evolve into Sylveon if that's what it will evolve into.

If it doesn't evolve into Sylveon....then what will it evolve into.

Here is my prediction:
Ash - Pikachu, Greninja, Talonflame, Hawlucha, Noivern and Aegislash.
Serena - Delphox, Pancham and Sylveon.
Clemont - Diggersby, Chesnaught, Luxray, Dedenne, Magnezone and Heliolisk.

Mega evolutions Ash could use: Charizard X/Y, Heracross, Glalie and Sceptile.
I say Ash would use Glalie since it needs more attention.

I don't think Clemont will withdraw Magneton or Heliolisk; he had his chance in Lumiose and didn't do it, so I don't see this happening.

I can't see Serena's Eevee evolving into an Umbreon. Umbreon is one of Gary's signature Pokémon, having made an appearance in Johto and quite a few in DP. .

Blastoise is also Gary's signature Pokemon and that didn't stop Ash and May from both obtaining a Squirtle, thus rendering this argument moot.

But I prefer for Serena to have a Sylveon anyway. I only made that Umbreon comment because I saw it somewhere and thought it was funny.

Blastoise is also Gary's signature Pokemon and that didn't stop Ash and May from both obtaining a Squirtle, thus rendering this argument moot.

Ash and May had Squirtle and Wartortle, respectively. Neither one was shown with a Blastoise, although the case could be made about Ash and Paul sharing the Gliscor and Torterra species.

Umbreon seems the second least likely Eeveelution to be shown with Serena (second to Glaceon) because another major character was shown with one. Umbreon had its purpose of advertising GS while it was used by Gary. Serena has no reason to get any Eeveelution other than Sylveon.

I fail to see why this even remotely matters. It's not like any of Ash's female traveling companions ever caught same species of Pokemon that Ash caught, right. I mean Ash is THE main character, I mean Gary's role within the anime is inconsequential in comparison to Ash's, so why would they share same species with Ash but not Gary?

True, but those shared species (except for Gible) were starters and served to promote the Gen I and Gen II remakes.

Last edited:
Serena has no reason to get any Eeveelution other than Sylveon.

Pangoro?

Plus what about Clemont's Luxray it doesn't promote anything, I mean sure, it was an electric type and they had slim pickings, but they chose it over Manectric, which not only is a 3rd generation Pokemon it also has a mega evolution.

Which means Luxray fit Clemont better in regards to the executive producers, perhaps Umbreon fits better than Sylveon.

Pangoro?

Plus what about Clemont's Luxray it doesn't promote anything, I mean sure, it was an electric type and they had slim pickings, but they chose it over Manectric, which not only is a 3rd generation Pokemon it also has a mega evolution.

Which means Luxray fit Clemont better in regards to the executive producers, perhaps Umbreon fits better than Sylveon.

What about an Espeon?

Pangoro?

Not to mention Luxray isn't even native to Kalos, whilst Manectric is.

What about an Espeon?

Not only would I not like Serena with an Espeon, Espeon would be as random as Vaporeon, Jolteon, Flareon, Glaceon, and Leafeon.

Umbreon at least makes sense if it ends up evolving Pancham into Pangoro, and Sylveon being a 6th gen Pokemon.

What about an Espeon?

Not only would I not like Serena with an Espeon, Espeon would be as random as Vaporeon, Jolteon, Flareon, Glaceon, and Leafeon.

Umbreon at least makes sense if it ends up evolving Pancham into Pangoro, and Sylveon being a 6th gen Pokemon.

I HIGHLY doubt the writers would want Pancham evolving into Pangoro. It would probably be like the reason why Piplup wasn't allowed to evolve, because the writers didn't think Prinplup or Empoleon would be good for contests, like what Ampharos King said earlier. Sure, it could serve as some sort of development for Serena and Pancham, like them struggling to come up with new moves since Panchan as Pangoro would be too heavy to perform acrobatic feats as it did as Pancham. But I still highly doubt it. Besides, I think Eevee evolving into Umbreon is just as likely as it going into one of the rest of the Eeveelutions.

That's simply because of Sylveon.

I actually like the idea of Eevee becoming a Sylveon, I was going off with a whim with Espeon to be more open minded because Sylveon was shown throughout the series a lot already and I don't want to keep my hopes up to high for it. Who knows though, maybe it might evolve like May Glaceon, off-screen when Ash is in a new region (probably not).

I can see it now though, Serena and the others see an Eevee trying to perform in front of a large crowd to be recognized only to suddenly freeze up. It runs off before Serena and the others could do anything, and later that night, Serena and her pokemon stumble upon Eevee performing like a pro. Serena helps build it's confidence and it performs a dazzling show along with Serena, Braixen, and Pancham in the midst of the night, while Ash and the rest watch on amazed. Serena eventually captures it one way or another and from then on their friendship builds and it becomes...

N/Aeon!

I can see it now though, Serena and the others see an Eevee trying to perform in front of a large crowd to be recognized only to suddenly freeze up. It runs off before Serena and the others could do anything, and later that night, Serena and her pokemon stumble upon Eevee performing like a pro. Serena helps build it's confidence and it performs a dazzling show along with Serena, Braixen, and Pancham in the midst of the night, while Ash and the rest watch on amazed. Serena eventually captures it one way or another and from then on their friendship builds and it becomes...

N/Aeon!

That would become more like how Pancham was captured, like he tried to show the audience his performing skills and then when he was dancing, Serena saw it and made a point to capture it in order to train it

N/Aeon!

That would become more like how Pancham was captured, like he tried to show the audience his performing skills and then when he was dancing, Serena saw it and made a point to capture it in order to train it

Hm, yeah I guess. That bit just came to me from my head last night while I was typing anyway. The scene in the Op when she was watching Eevee felt like it was something related to that.

For the reasons that I mentioned on the previous page, I just can't see Serena with a Pangoro.

If I'm going SOLELY by what you said in your link. Then the only reason you think Serena won't get a Pangoro, is because for some reason "Umbreon" was overused.

Again, Clemont's Luxray, stop ignoring it.

What about an Espeon?

I HIGHLY doubt the writers would want Pancham evolving into Pangoro. It would probably be like the reason why Piplup wasn't allowed to evolve, because the writers didn't think Prinplup or Empoleon would be good for contests, like what Ampharos King said earlier. Sure, it could serve as some sort of development for Serena and Pancham, like them struggling to come up with new moves since Panchan as Pangoro would be too heavy to perform acrobatic feats as it did as Pancham. But I still highly doubt it. Besides, I think Eevee evolving into Umbreon is just as likely as it going into one of the rest of the Eeveelutions.

And your explanation for why Dawn got a Mamoswine?

Because I'm pretty sure Prinplup/Empoleon is not the same as Pangoro. And besides, their excuse was pretty much a lie, given that Kenny had Prinplup and Empoleon. They just didn't want to evolve Piplup or if they did, the boss said no.

If I'm going SOLELY by what you said in your link. Then the only reason you think Serena won't get a Pangoro, is because for some reason "Umbreon" was overused.

And the fact that evolving Pancham could ruin whatever dynamic it has with Chespin, another Pokémon that I expect will remain unevolved in BW. Usually, but not always, Pokémon with distinct personalities and/or recurring conflicts with other mons on the main cast remain unevolved.

We had plenty of unevolved Pokémon on the main cast in past series. It wouldn't really be surprising if Pancham becomes one as well.

Again, Clemont's Luxray, stop ignoring it.

The writers wanted to give Clemont a new Electric-type Pokémon, but all of the Gen VI options were taken. He already has Heliolisk (at his gym), and he caught Dedenne for his sister. Other Electric-type options were taken:

- Raichu line: It would be awkward to have both Pikachu and Raichu on the main cast. With the exception of the two Wurmple in AG and Misty's Staryu/Starmie, main characters rarely share Pokémon in the same evolutionary line at the same time.
- Magnezone: Clemont already owns a Magneton, and for whatever reason decided not to use it in the gym battle.
- Electivire: Paul has one
- Ampharos: His dad has one
- Lanturn: Wouldn't really work or function outside of water
- Manectric: Kalos Jennys use them
- Plusle and Minun: Ursula used them in DP, and they were almost always presented as a pair.
- Pachirisu, Emolga: Caught by Dawn and Iris, respectively.
- Rotom: Oak has one
- Legendaries were a no-go.

You may counter back with "Volkner has used a Luxray in his gym," but I am only counting major and supporting characters here, not GLs.

So the writers had to choose between Electrode and Luxray, and opted for Luxray because, as an organic animal, it could be more relatable to the viewers.

And your explanation for why Dawn got a Mamoswine?

Mamoswine was chosen because 1) it is a Gen IV pokemon, and 2) it evolves from a Gen II pokemon, and the writers were prepped up for Gen II remakes at the time.

The writers could have easily gave Dawn a Tangrowth, Leafeon, or Froslass instead, but the writers wanted the main characters to catch Gen IV pokemon that are related to Gen II pokemon. Mamoswine was chosen for that reason.

I also saw Mamoswine as a way for Dawn to get a major powerhouse on her team. The writers didn't want Piplup or Buneary to evolve, and Pachirisu couldn't evolve. As for Ambipom, the writers may have planned for Dawn to get rid of it when they gave her Swinub.

Because I'm pretty sure Prinplup/Empoleon is not the same as Pangoro. And besides, their excuse was pretty much a lie, given that Kenny had Prinplup and Empoleon. They just didn't want to evolve Piplup or if they did, the boss said no.

Because at the time the writers were comfortable with having characters share Pokémon, as we've seen with Ash, Paul, Barry, and Nando. But Piplup was the second Pikachu in DP; it was supposed to be cute and adorable to attract children to the franchise. Prinplup may not have accomplished this task, since its appearance may be too grown-up (that is, Prinplup would have been seen as too old).

The writers may not have originally planned to keep Piplup unevolved for that reason, since Piplup had not been a walking Pokémon until around DP050. But it seemed to me that Piplup was going to remain unevolved because the writers a) didn't want Dawn to use an "ugly" Pokémon as her signature Pokémon, and b) finally decided against it when Piplup was chosen as a walking Pokémon.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom