• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Evolution/Capture/Release Thread

Like HM said above, I agree that Ash not being given one is not the issue. With Ash catching Pokémon like Dragonite and Gengar early on, having him catch an unevolved starter on top of those didn't really seem fitting. In short, the problem is with the screentime instead of the distribution.
Except, she didn't. She echoed my point about the best course of action being dividing the Starters among the cast; as in Ash should have one.

I didn't elaborate with my initial point, but the problem she brought up with the Kanto, Johto, and Unova Starters was definitely a factor within my opinion. I've discussed this before in the Controversial Opinion thread, but I can't be bothered to look for it - anyway, those groups of Starters had plenty of screen time under Ash's ownership, but their character development and battle participation was arguably lacking; Totodile only participated in one Johto Gym Battle, where it got absolutely flattened, and Snivy remained completely static before fading into obscurity, for examples. Compare that to the treatment the Hoenn, Sinnoh, Kalos, and Alola Starters got in their respective sagas collectively - it was much better when more than one person was allowed to bond with a Starter.

I also don't think there would have been any issue with him getting an unevolved Starter, especially considering his main partner is a Pikachu of all things. Party composition hasn't stopped Starters from being obtained before (such as Clemont, the Electric Gym Leader being given the Grass Kalosian Starter), so I don't understand why the main character, who emulates the everyday Trainer, would suddenly draw issues. I mean, via Wonder Trade, there's technically nothing stopping a kid from having a level 5 Sobble and a level 70 Dragonite in the same party. And that's not even factoring the fully evolved Pokémon Ash owns, but then forgoes for unevolved Pokémon every subsequent saga.

I think giving thrm 3 to Goh was the bad call, but Ash not having them is not that critical dec for one season.. next time better be given one starter

I didn't particular like any of the Galar starters final forms, so I didn't mind Ash not getting one. Go was bound to get Cinderace either way, and neither Intelleon or Rillaboom fit Ash for me. For Gen 9 it really depends what their final stages look like for me to decide if I want Ash with one of them.

I didn't particular like any of the Galar starters final forms, so I didn't mind Ash not getting one. Go was bound to get Cinderace either way, and neither Intelleon or Rillaboom fit Ash for me. For Gen 9 it really depends what their final stages look like for me to decide if I want Ash with one of them.
For me, Cinderace is a big yes, Inteleon is okay, and Rillaboom is meh.

I liked all 3 of the Galar Starters

I think the only time where I could take or leave any of the Starters was Gen 6 lol

Chestnaught, Delphox nor Greninja really did anything for me strangely enough.
I didn't dislike them but I wouldn't call myself a fan

The Galar starter trio is so far the only one where I'm shockingly neutral towards all of them. Inteleon is the one that gets closest to being my "favorite", but that's mostly just because it has the (in my opinion) cutest first stage of the three and was part of my Shield team. Cinderace has grown on me, but still not enough to actually surpass any of the other fully evolved fire starters (aside from Emboar, who I always ranked below Cinderace anyway). Rillaboom is the most "meh" of the three for me, but that's not to say I dislike it, it just doesn't do anything for me. My feelings towards the Kalos starters are similar in that I think all of them are just okay, but I still overall like them better than the Galar starters.

Every other starter trio has always had at least one member that I really like.

I like all of the Galar starters. I think that as a trio, their designs work so well together. Scorbunny probably has the most solid evolution line out of the bunch, particularly because I like Raboot going from a moody kid to happy adult through Cinderace. Grookey is a close second since I really like Rillaboom and it felt like gets little attention compared to Scorbunny and Sobble. While I didn't choose Sobble in either Sword or Shield, I remember seeing its evolutions for the first time and not understanding why people were disappointed with it because Drizzle and Inteleon look awesome.

I still think Ash could have easily gotten a Rillaboom though. Scorbunny fits with Goh perfectly and despite the misleading promotion, I think that giving Sobble to Goh made sense too. Grookey has done absolutely nothing and while it has had some cute moments with Goh, it might have been more worthwhile for Ash to get it instead, especially when they could have had all three Galar starters fully evolved in the cast. Dracovish still feels like the most expendable Pokemon on Ash's team, so I think Ash raising a Grookey into a Rillaboom would have been more interesting by comparison.

It would be interesting to know why Ash didn't get a starter since it means none of them were fully linked to the main battling subplot. Maybe we'll get an end of series interview like we did in XY that could explain it.

Looking ahead, of the confirmed Sc/Vio Pokémon I think there's decent odds based off precedent one of the companions will get Pawmi but I'm not sure other than that. Somehow Ceruledge and Amarouge feel unlikely to me, though.
Maybe they'll give them all a Cyclizar instead of the box legendary if they actually travel through the region this time?

I usually don't really care if Ash gets a Starter I like but I do just want them to have a decent showcase at least and Ash is usually the best person to showcase them

But there were some like Primarina who I thought was fine even tho it went to Lana

I think we should prepare ourselves for a delay, hopefully not too long a delay but you never know
Hey, after the rushed and utter mess that was Journeys at times, I say they should take as much time as they need. Better to have something good we wait for than a rushed show churned out quick. (Of course, OLM might still end up doing the latter anyway because "game promotion!" Ugh. :cautious:)

The Galar trio was pretty surprising to me in the sense of me ending up liking all 3 Starters in all of their stages. That has never happened before to me. I even liked Raboot and Drizzile, and honestly, I'm surprised I ended up liking the entire Grookey line, considering I don't even like monkeys at all, lol.

Now, for the topic in hand: giving Ash all the 3 starters wouldn't have been necessarily a good idea because, to me, no character should have all 3. But in the absolute least, they would've at least done something, because any Pokémon under Ash is fated to be a battler anyways.

Giving the entire starter set to a guy who's entire thing is "I capture Pokémon and don't do jack with any of them!" was one of the worst JN decisions.

Back
Top Bottom