• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon Evolution over time

I can think of a couple theories to answer this question. The first could simple be that Arceus/Mew/whatever created all of the pokemon, like the creationist theory. The second is that over time, pokemon accumulate small adaptations, like Notched-Ear-Pichu's ear, similar to the theory of evolution. Last, it could be that pokemon are affected by types of energy that causes them to change, like how a fire stone turns an Eevee into a Flareon. There could be all sorts of energy like this that affected the pokemon until they changed.

deja0entendu said:
There is scientific proof that animals evolved from other animals over time.
Nope.
I don't tend to be rude, but if you're going to bump an old thread, at least add something to it instead of trying to ignite a scientific debate entirely unrelated to Pokémon with a single word "argument."

We live in one universe. Pokémon live in another. Therefore, whether or not there is evidence of evolution in ours is something entirely off-topic. We are discussing Pokémon, and only Pokémon.
I can think of a couple theories to answer this question. The first could simple be that Arceus/Mew/whatever created all of the pokemon, like the creationist theory. The second is that over time, pokemon accumulate small adaptations, like Notched-Ear-Pichu's ear, similar to the theory of evolution. Last, it could be that pokemon are affected by types of energy that causes them to change, like how a fire stone turns an Eevee into a Flareon. There could be all sorts of energy like this that affected the pokemon until they changed.
It's probably a combination of several things. I think it'd be pretty hard to deny the Arceus and Eevee-like factors, and there's not much saying the other factors aren't there, too. I imagine Pokémon have a much more complicated origin than we do.

Well, according to the anime, prehistorical pokemon just went to a deep sleep somewhere underground. They did not go extinct.

Well, according to the anime, prehistorical pokemon just went to a deep sleep somewhere underground. They did not go extinct.

and in the games they just get brought back to life by everyone and their dog.

Interesting point.

I can see a lot of Pokémon that are similar could have originated from one certain one. I mean, say, Growlithe, Poochena and Houndour are quite similar, they could have all originated from one thing.
Or Growlithe and Poochena could have originated from Houndour, or something. You never know.

The Pokedex seems contradictory on its current power, because it can supposedly live anywhere there is water.

There's also Garchomp and Sharpedo

Karp is hardy, but innefectual. I vote yes to Non-Arceusism. Today.

Please note: The thread is from 15 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom