• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon Game in 2017

What pokemon game do you want to see in 2017 after Sun and Moon

• Gen 4 Remake

Votes: 36 44.4%
  • Sun and Moon Sequel

Votes: 13 16.0%
  • Pokemon Eclipse

Votes: 6 7.4%
  • Pokemon Kanto Sequel

Votes: 11 13.6%
  • Pokemon Spin-off (Pokemon Mystery Dungeon 2017)

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • None of the above, 2017 will have a break year

Votes: 10 12.3%

• Total voters
D/P/Pt are still playable on the 3DS, so is there even a need for a 3DS remake of it? They may as well just re-print the original titles. Which is exactly what they did in Malaysia. Pokemon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum reprints pop up in Southeast Asia
It's likely possible that the DP remake might be on 3DS, I hope they do something special with the regular Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum, like you can transfer the pokemon you caught in DPPt and HGSS into the pokemon bank without using poke transporters, which is a new system
They're still "playable" but with none of the Wi-Fi features, which were a big part of the games when they were first released. Want a trade evolution? Hope you've either got a second DS, or have a friend with one who lives close by.
Yeah it's true, that we didn't had wi-fi for Diamond and Pearl, but if the remake is on 3DS, it'll likely to have Wi-fi on it, so you can play online with your friends

It is true that all remakes so far have been on different handhelds with FRLG on GBA, HGSS on DS and ORAS on 3DS. However, both HGSS and ORAS can be played on the same handheld as the 3DS plays both DS and 3DS games. The DS system can play both FRLG and HGSS too.

Patterns have broken and since we are in gen 7, DP remakes will be incompatible in terms of trading and communication with the originals. GF have surprise us with sequels to BW instead of Grey and no Z after ORAS. So having two remakes on the same handheld isn't too farfetch'd. Slightly unlikely but still possible nevertheless.

I sincerely hope we don't get another break or move directly on to another gen because to me that is a bad move. I am positive that GF can make at least one more pair of games. There are plenty of good opportunities to take.

Last edited:
>.> I have two 3ds and an original ds as well as a friend and a bro with one of each...guess i'm set haha.

Also don't forget the original ds did play gba as well

It is not 3D, so yes there needs to be a remake :p

I get you're kidding, but this argument could be applied to Kanto & Johto as well.

Though I will admit, I would love to see Sinnoh in 3D. It's got a big landscape, I think it would transfer well. The Download size for it would be pretty big, I think.

They're still "playable" but with none of the Wi-Fi features, which were a big part of the games when they were first released. Want a trade evolution? Hope you've either got a second DS, or have a friend with one who lives close by.

You could, you know, realize you're playing a now unsupported game, and take that into consideration when buying/playing?
I get that's kindof a dick point of view, but until #SinnohConfirmed is actually confirmed, fans have to make do with what we have.

This is an issue with modern Pokemon - once online support is gone, the multi-player aspect is gone. While the move is understandable from a tech point of view, it doesn't help the "catch 'em all" aspect of the older games.

I hope they do something special with the regular Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum, like you can transfer the pokemon you caught in DPPt and HGSS into the pokemon bank without using poke transporters

Bank support for Gen IV games would be a nice update, as unlikely as it is.

You could, you know, realize you're playing a now unsupported game, and take that into consideration when buying/playing?
I get that's kindof a dick point of view, but until #SinnohConfirmed is actually confirmed, fans have to make do with what we have.

I comprehend that, but that isn't my point. What I am saying is that while they are still functional on the 3DS, their capabilities and features are greatly limited, which is something that potential remakes would alleviate. Therefore, the argument that "they are still playable on the 3DS, so they don't need remakes" doesn't hold as much water. They could very well benefit from being upgraded.

It is true that all remakes so far have been on different handhelds with FRLG on GBA, HGSS on DS and ORAS on 3DS. However, both HGSS and ORAS can be played on the same handheld as the 3DS plays both DS and 3DS games. The DS system can play both FRLG and HGSS too.

Patterns have broken and since we are in gen 7, DP remakes will be incompatible in terms of trading and communication with the originals. GF have surprise us with sequels to BW instead of Grey and no Z after ORAS. So having two remakes on the same handheld isn't too farfetch'd. Slightly unlikely but still possible nevertheless.

I sincerely hope we don't get another break or move directly on to another gen because to me that is a bad move. I am positive that GF can make at least one more pair of games. There are plenty of good opportunities to take.
Yeah, We know gamefreak might break the pattern, but people keep speculating on DP remake coming out on 2019 or 2020, because they believe that GF follow the pattern of the remake year and new device
2004 - FireRed Leafgreen - GBA
2009 - Heartgold and Soulsilver - DS
2014 - Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire - 3DS
2019 - Diamond and Pearl Remake - Switch
Okay so this is what they think, but I don't think gamefreak would do that pattern. Gamefreak might not follow this pattern, we might see Dp remake in 2017 on Nintendo 3DS

There are many things I want to happen in the next years and I can't just choose one of them to. Going to make the craziest prediction here, you may print it and use it against me in the future:

2017: GSC being released on VC to go with the hype for 2nd-gen pokémon on Pokémon Go.
2017: A 4th-gen remake for 3DS, Space Pearl and Time Diamond, where Dialga and Palkia get Primal forms. Not sure about Arceus.
2018: Also for 3DS, a XY-SuMo sequel, where Zygarde and Necrozma's fight is relevant to the plot.
2019: Gen VIII first games released for SWITCH.
2020: A Kanto/Johto sequel, with a big timeskip to justify Red's and Green's (Blue's) age in SuMo, in which Mew and Celebi are the legendaries.

I know it's a lot of positive thinking, but we're in a weird situation:

We have just started Gen VII, so it's weird not to have any other games on 3DS (I believe porting the same engine to Switch would be a bad decision, since they wouldn't use all the potential the console has.

A 4th gen remake is very likely to happen in the next 5 years. I'm on #team2017 because of the references they put on SuMo. They also put many references to Kanto, but I'd like for a Kanto/Johto remake on Switch so we can have the regions in their full glory. But, probably they will make a main series games before doing remakes on the new console and that would make the games get too far away from the anniversary. Maybe in 2021 for the 25th birthday?

Guess I am the only one seeing a Sinnoh remake or remakes in 2018. :p

Now whether that's for the 3DS or Switch is anyone's guess. But I hope that it's for the Switch.

Now whether that's for the 3DS or Switch is anyone's guess. But I hope that it's for the Switch.
They will never put one gen on two separate consoles. A new gen is always the first game on a new console. I don't think Gen 8 will come until 2019, so I think that Gen 7 would have about as much games as Gen 5/6, if not more.

That is because no one sees that as realistic and neither do I. What is realistic is we get the next games in 2017 and gen 8 would be in 2019/2020 on the Switch.

I agree and I'm thinkin 2019 seems right for it. The question of the filler is what could be interesting. will it be on the switch or 3ds, which kind of filler game will it be, and when will they release it?

They will never put one gen on two separate consoles. A new gen is always the first game on a new console. I don't think Gen 8 will come until 2019, so I think that Gen 7 would have about as much games as Gen 5/6, if not more.
Any new Pokemon game on the Switch would be the start of Generation 8. Even if they are Sinnoh remakes. It would be a new engine that would be used which is reminiscent of every generation.

They'll also not want the slow start for the Switch that the Wii U and the 3DS had. So this means that they want their AAA series on the Switch as quickly as possible.

The rumours are that a new Mario game will be available at launch and Zelda BotW is delayed until summer. So where does that leave Pokemon?

The earliest they can release Pokemon for the Switch would be November 2018, twenty months after the Switch released. That would be enough time to build up a Switch fanbase.

Anothe reason why 2017 could be a break year, is that 2017 is the year of the Switch. All the focus will be on getting people to buy the Switch, which will not be sold at a loss.

So why would they release a main Pokemon game or games for the 3DS next year when they want people to buy a Switch? The main game(s) would just not help Switch sales at all in my opinion.

There are many things I want to happen in the next years and I can't just choose one of them to. Going to make the craziest prediction here, you may print it and use it against me in the future:

2017: GSC being released on VC to go with the hype for 2nd-gen pokémon on Pokémon Go.
2017: A 4th-gen remake for 3DS, Space Pearl and Time Diamond, where Dialga and Palkia get Primal forms. Not sure about Arceus.
2018: Also for 3DS, a XY-SuMo sequel, where Zygarde and Necrozma's fight is relevant to the plot.
2019: Gen VIII first games released for SWITCH.
2020: A Kanto/Johto sequel, with a big timeskip to justify Red's and Green's (Blue's) age in SuMo, in which Mew and Celebi are the legendaries.

I know it's a lot of positive thinking, but we're in a weird situation:

We have just started Gen VII, so it's weird not to have any other games on 3DS (I believe porting the same engine to Switch would be a bad decision, since they wouldn't use all the potential the console has.

A 4th gen remake is very likely to happen in the next 5 years. I'm on #team2017 because of the references they put on SuMo. They also put many references to Kanto, but I'd like for a Kanto/Johto remake on Switch so we can have the regions in their full glory. But, probably they will make a main series games before doing remakes on the new console and that would make the games get too far away from the anniversary. Maybe in 2021 for the 25th birthday?
That's a good prediction, Crazy, but Good Prediction

I really don't want any more mainline games on the 3DS because the console is really showing its age and I'd love to be able to play without the game lagging on anything more taxing than a 1v1 with the 3D off. I don't want to take any chances here since DP was slow as fuck on the original hardware too. I'd hate to have a break year though so I'm suggesting this.

2017-Kanto remakes/GSC VC release.
2018-generation 8 on the switch.
2019-DP switch.

For me here's my Timeline
2017 - Gen 4 Remake
2017 - Pokemon Spin-off
2017 - Xy and SuMo sequel
2018 - Gen 8
2018 - Kanto Sequel
2018 - GSC VC release

For me here's my Timeline
2017 - Gen 4 Remake
2017 - Pokemon Spin-off
2017 - Xy and SuMo sequel
2018 - Gen 8
2018 - Kanto Sequel
2018 - GSC VC release

It's extremely unrealistic to expect 4 main series games (Sinnoh remakes, Alola sequel, Gen 8, and Kanto sequel) over the span of two years. Pokemon games come out at a rate of once per year, sometimes once every other year. Twice a year is simply too much.

In my personal opinion, the thing that would make the most sense is that the next game will follow Lillie and Necrozma. I could see this game play out in two different ways. #1: this is a Kanto/Johto sequel in which we become friends with Lillie when she moves to Kanto and we see Necrozma follow her to a far off region. #2: this is an Alola sequel that takes place after a timeskip, much like B2W2, and Lillie plays an N like role where she is tangentially related to the plot and shows up at the climax to deal with Necrozma's shenanigans

Any new Pokemon game on the Switch would be the start of Generation 8. Even if they are Sinnoh remakes. It would be a new engine that would be used which is reminiscent of every generation.

They'll also not want the slow start for the Switch that the Wii U and the 3DS had. So this means that they want their AAA series on the Switch as quickly as possible.

The rumours are that a new Mario game will be available at launch and Zelda BotW is delayed until summer. So where does that leave Pokemon?

The earliest they can release Pokemon for the Switch would be November 2018, twenty months after the Switch released. That would be enough time to build up a Switch fanbase.

Anothe reason why 2017 could be a break year, is that 2017 is the year of the Switch. All the focus will be on getting people to buy the Switch, which will not be sold at a loss.

So why would they release a main Pokemon game or games for the 3DS next year when they want people to buy a Switch? The main game(s) would just not help Switch sales at all in my opinion.
The first pair of games for gen 8 will not be Sinnoh remakes. We won't be moving onto the Switch until gen 8 and that is not happening in 2018. There is no reason to have a break in 2017. So far, you have not been realistic at all.

Now that you said it, Nintendo better not repeat that same DS Wi-Fi debacle with the 3DS again. If they could continue customer service with past consoles long after the release of the last games, if they could continue providing the disk-writing system for the famicon until 1998, and continue the Lawson Nintendo Power Rom machines for the Super Famicon until well after GameCube came out, then there should be no reason why they should pull the plug on the 3DS WiFi until the console *after* Switch comes out at the earliest.

I really don't want any more mainline games on the 3DS because the console is really showing its age and I'd love to be able to play without the game lagging on anything more taxing than a 1v1 with the 3D off. I don't want to take any chances here since DP was slow as fuck on the original hardware too. I'd hate to have a break year though so I'm suggesting this.

2017-Kanto remakes/GSC VC release.
2018-generation 8 on the switch.
2019-DP switch.
Not to sound like a jerk here but that seriously sounds like a personal problem. None of my systems lag at all. I don't believe the 3ds shows at all, and I was playing my regular ds just the other day as well as my original 3ds which doesn't lag at all compared to my brand new one. Also there is no way you are going to see gen 8 in two years. It's just too fast especially because if they do it on the switch they have to come up with everything new the entire concept has to be redesigned. It will be 2019 at the earliest. No new pokemon gen has ever been out in two years and at some point of them doing it it wont be when they have to change to a new system.

@RainbowLifeAndLove I didn't know zelda had been pushed back AGAIN. -.- they are getting as bad as avatar. Seriously screw you nintendo this game was supposed to release in 2012! So sick of this waiting crap I'm at the point that I won't buy it because of this shit, and I'm probably more of a zelda fan than pokemon which is saying a lot. Stupid nintendo. Anyway sorry about that but super ticked about it. They can kiss all those sales away if they dont move the launch.

Last edited:
Well, I think Nintendo has learnt from the wii u failure that's why they are throwing in zelda within 3 months of launch (I'm just assuming since it was scheduled for march but now delayed). They will surely release pokemon for it too since it will boost the sales. A rumor says that a pokemon game will be released on switch within 6 months of launch. It seems plausible to me. There is no need for another game on 3ds and it's too early for a remake. They should start with gen 8 on switch in 2018.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom