• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon GK: Volume Two - The Sevii Islands

Chapter 8: Second Gym! VS. The Battling Nurse Joy!

Opening.

Gary and Leaf arrived at the Two Island Gym. They looked at each other.

“Ready?” Gary asked Leaf.

“When you are,” she replied.

Gary pushed open the door. A familiar tune began to play when they entered, but Gary couldn’t quite put his finger on where he’d heard it before. The floor of the gym was made of polished marble, and there was an earthen battlefield in its middle, with bleachers on either side of it. Standing in the middle of the battlefield was a pink-haired woman in a nurse’s outfit. Seeing her reminded Gary where he’d heard the music before – in a Pokémon Center.

“Nurse Joy!” he exclaimed, walking towards her. “What are you doing here?”

“Are you Gary Ketchum?” she asked in her bubbly voice.

“That’s me,” he admitted.

She smiled. “I assume you’re here to challenge me?”

Gary stopped in his tracks. “What?”

“Oh, I guess there really aren’t that many battling Nurse Joys,” Joy sighed. “Pity. I am one of the few Joys that has adopted Pokémon battling as their profession. I used to be a nurse, but just healing other people’s Pokémon was just so boring, so I took up battling. Eventually, I was hired by the Sevii League. I am its second Gym Leader: the battling Nurse Joy!”

“Yeahbuwha?” Gary babbled in astonishment.

“Well, are you going to challenge me or what?” Joy demanded.

Gary regained his composure. “Um, yeah,” he said. “I challenge you, battling Nurse Joy!”

She unclipped a Poké Ball from her belt. “Good,” she said. “Then we can begin.”

She threw her Poké Ball. “Go, Blaziken!”

The large, half-chicken, half-human-looking Pokémon appeared and punched the air three times.

“Blaze! Blaze!” it shouted.

Gary chose his first Pokémon. “Go, Aerodactyl!” the pterosaur-like Pokémon burst from its Poké Ball and flapped its wings to raise itself into the air.

“Daaaaaaa!” it screeched.

“Let’s start this off!” Gary ordered. “Aerodactyl, use Wing Attack!”

Aerodactyl’s wings glowed white. It charged at Blaziken and rammed its wings into Blaziken’s body, causing Joy’s Pokémon to stumble back. The battle had begun.

ΩΩΩ​

Jaz Erummo stepped forward. An official-looking tribesman stepped forth to greet him. The tribesman had tan skin with green-and-white markings patterned after a skeleton painted around his body, brown eyes, and black hair. He wore some maroon robes loosely, not bothering to tie it up using the buttons and ribbons on it. To prevent immodesty, he wore a maroon loincloth.

“Chee-la toh lin bachh pid’jo lin?” the tribesman asked.

“I… can’t understand what you’re saying,” the captain said.

“Ahhhhhh,” the tribesman said. “Ya, fitto tik tik clok bass,” he added in a reassuring tone of voice. He suddenly took out a dagger and pricked Jaz in the shoulder.

Upon witnessing this, Jaz’s crewman drew their weapons and stepped forward. However, Jaz, held out his arm to keep them back.

“Stand down, crewmen,” he said. “I don’t think this one means us any harm.”

“But he…” the helmsman began.

“If he wanted to kill me,” the captain said, “he would’ve gone for either my chest or my neck.” He looked up at the tribesman.
“So, why did you do that?”

The tribesman smiled. He licked Jaz’s blood from the dagger.

“Why did I stab you?” he repeated. “So that I could taste your blood. I can learn any language by tasting the blood of a native speaker of it. My name is Kameil. I am high priest of this tribe. Welcome to our island. I hope you enjoy your time here.”

ΩΩΩ​

“Sky Uppercut!” Joy ordered. Blaziken’s hands glowed blue, and it leapt up and uppercut Aerodactyl in the stomach. Gary’s Pokémon screamed in pain, but then secretly winked at Gary. Gary nodded.

“Now!” he yelled. Aerodactyl’s wings glowed white again, and it performed a surprise Wing Attack. The attack caught Blaziken off-guard, and it plummeted to the ground, defeated.

“Well played,” Joy complimented Gary, recalling her Pokémon.
“Now, let’s see you stand up to this! Gyarados, I choose you!”

The serpentine Pokémon slithered out of its Poké Ball and roared at Gary and Aerodactyl.

“If you can beat this, you’ll win,” said Joy, “since I only carry two Pokémon. However… that’s only if you can beat Gyarados. This big lug is the most powerful Pokémon I’ve ever owned.”

Gary gulped. “W-we can take him,” he stammered. “R-right, Aerodactyl?”

“Aero,” Aerodactyl agreed nervously, nodding its head.

"Giga Impact, Aerodactyl!” Gary ordered. Aerodactyl rocketed towards Gyarados, becoming surrounded in an orange aura as it did so. Aerodactyl slammed into Gyarados, knocking the titanic Pokémon back. However, the attack did not knock Gyarados out. Joy grinned wickedly.

“Your turn, Gyarados,” she said. “Giga Impact!”

Gyarados replicated Aerodactyl’s attack. Gary knew that the attack was unavoidable by the time he registered that it was happening, so he simply shielded his eyes and waited for the inevitable shriek of anguish and defeat that Aerodactyl was sure to create.

ΩΩΩ​

“I am Jaz Erummo,” the captain said, introducing himself to the islanders. He gestured towards his companions. “This is my crew. We have come here on a peaceful mission for exploration and riches.”

“What sort of riches?” Kameil asked.

“Oh, the usual things,” said Jaz. “Silver, gold, jewels…”

Kameil laughed. “Well why didn’t you say so?!” he said. “We have those things in abundance! They are not riches to us, merely trinkets! You may take however much you like; we have natural deposits, so they will return to us in due time.”

“That is very generous of you,” said Jaz with a bow.

“Captain?” the helmsman asked him. Jaz looked at the boy. His eyes were shining brightly with anticipation.

“What is it, lad?” Jaz questioned him.

“Will… will each of the crew get a cut of the treasure?”

“Well, sure, if there’s enough.”

“How many are in your crew?” Kameil asked.

“Around fifty,” Jaz replied.

Kameil tsk-tsked. “That is a lot of men,” he said. “Are you going to travel to the end of this island chain?”

Jaz’s eyes widened. “This island is part of a chain?!” he exclaimed.

“Indeed,” Kameil confirmed.

Jaz smiled. “In that case,” he said, “yes. That’s an adventure no man could turn down!”

ΩΩΩ​

Luck was not on Gary Ketchum’s side. Joy hadn’t been kidding when she’d said that Gyarados was her strongest Pokémon: it had taken out, in addition to Aerodactyl, four of Gary’s other Pokémon, leaving him with only Dragonair.

“Here goes nothing,” said Gary, tossing a Poké Ball. “Dragonair, come on out!”

The blue snakelike Pokémon burst from the ball and faced Gyarados, prepared for battle.

“Draco Meteor, Dragonair!” Gary shouted. The jewel on
Dragonair’s neck glowed orange, and scarlet meteorites appeared out of nowhere, bombarding Gyarados and knocking it down.

“Show that caecilian what you’re made of, Gyarados!” yelled Joy.
“Use your Ice Fang attack!”

Gyarados’ fangs glowed a sickly bluish-white color. It scooped Dragonair into its mouth and bit down hard. Dragonair squealed in pain as ice began to cover its body. But then, underneath the ice, a white glow began to appear, a glow that enveloped Dragonair’s entire body. Gary gasped when he realized what was happening: Dragonair was evolving.

Dragonair became stout, and wings sprouted from its back; and antennae sprouted on its head. It grew arms, legs, and a tail, and when the light faded, there was very little to suggest that it had once been a blue, snakelike Dragon.

“Draaaaa!” Dragonite bellowed in triumph, using its newfound arms to wrench Gyarados’ jaws open. It slid out of the gaping maw, and held its arms up in the air. A tiny spark appeared over Gyarados’ head, a spark that grew into a gigantic bolt of lightning that struck Gyarados and, at last, knocked the behemoth out.

Joy recalled her Pokémon. “Well done,” she said. “You’ve fully earned this – the Emergency Badge.” She handed Gary a badge that looked like a red lowercase ‘T.’

“Have a safe and fun journey,” she told Gary and Leaf as they exited the Gym.

“You were great in there,” he said to Dragonite as he returned it to its Poké Ball. “Great work.”

“You weren’t so bad yourself,” Leaf said to him.

He smiled at her. “Let’s meet back up with Silv,” he said. She nodded.

“That’d be best,” she agreed.

And so the two of them returned to the hotel, ready to depart for Three Island in the morning.

ΩΩΩ​

The white-haired man stepped into the airplane, his old rucksack around his back. He took a seat, and waited for the plane to take off.

Brendan Birch sat, praying that he could get to the Sevii Islands before his daughter slipped away from him yet again.

///////////////////////////////////////////////

Next Time: Gary and his pals arrive on Three Island! After receiving a strange gift, Gary and the others are thrust into the middle of a mystery – can they help find Lostelle, the missing child? Plus, Brendan arrives in the Seviis, and the tale of Jaz Erummo continues! See what happens in chapter 9: “Three Island! An Egg for a Favor!”​

Last edited:
Pretty nice story you got here, mate. I would only say that your characters seem a bit bland, but perhaps that is just because the story is not finished. Overall though, your writing style and everything else look top drawer! Cheers.

Great chapter, but is every Gym battle going to have one of Gary's Pokemon evolving? How will he win when all of his Pokemon are fully-evolved?

Opening.

Chapter 9: Three Island! An Egg for a Favor!

The plane touched down on the runway of One Island airport. The landing gear screeched against the pavement as the aircraft finally shuddered to a halt.

“Right this way, sir,” said a flight attendant, bowing to the white-haired man sitting in a seat, sipping some wine.

“Finally, we’re here,” said Brendan Birch, getting out of his seat. He popped his neck.

“Your luggage is waiting for you in the claims area,” said the attendant.

“Have my associate pick them up,” said Brendan, “and take them to the Seagallop Ferry for me.”

“Certainly, sir,” said the attendant. “I’ll inform him right away.”

Brendan exited the plane. He looked around.

“I’ll find you, Leaf,” he said. “Daddy’s going to take you home. I promise. I won’t ever lose you again.”

ΩΩΩ​

Billy, Kit, and Sneasel arrived at the temporary Rocket headquarters located at the cliffs of Five Island. They steered their hot air balloon into the hangar bay and disembarked. They were greeted by Drew Roselant.

“Hello, my friends!” Drew said with a smile. The trio glanced at each other. It wasn’t normal for Drew to be this chipper.

“Are… are you all right, Mr. Roselant?” Kit asked hesitantly.

“All right? I’m ecstatic!” Drew declared. “Why, just last night, I led a daring prison break in Kanto! I recruited 47 prisoners to join the ranks of Team Rocket! Then, I hand-picked the best 10 of them to form a new squad – Squad Monochrome! They’re led by this ravishing member of the fair sex right here!”

Drew gestured to a woman in a white female Rocket uniform with a black ‘R’ on the chest. She had blonde hair, blue eyes, and fair skin. She wore a lot of makeup. On her belt were several Poké Balls.

“Meet Paris Stonem, former fashion model and heiress. She shows real promise, and might be upgrading to Squad Grey very soon indeed.”

“Hello,” said Paris in a bubbly voice.

“Now,” said Drew, suddenly getting serious. “The Boss wants to see you three immediately. He has something he wishes to discuss with you.”

“Well, we mustn’t keep the Boss waiting,” said Billy. “Let’s go, Kit, Sneasel.” The three of them left the hangar.

“That guy was cute,” Paris noted after the trio had left.

“If you say so,” said Drew out loud. However, in his head he thought: lucky bastard.

ΩΩΩ​

“Whoaaaaaa!” the helmsman yelped, his eyes widening. “That’s the biggest pile of loot I’ve ever seen!”

And it was. A veritable mountain of gold, silver, and various jewels were strewn about in the middle of the tribe’s village. The treasure glistened madly in the afternoon sun, and Jaz’s crew stepped towards it greedily.

“Hold, men,” said Jaz, holding out his arm. He looked at Kameil. “And you’re saying we can have this stuff?”

“It is for the gods,” said Kameil, “but they will not mind if you take some. It will make tou rich in your land, will it not?”

Jaz nodded. “It will.”

“Tell me,” Kameil began, “you wish to explore this entire chain?”

“That’s right.”

“May I accompany you on your journey? I can communicate with the natives of each island. Perhaps they will provide you with valuables as well.”

Jaz smiled. “That’d be swell,” he said. “Aye! Ye can come along with us! Welcome to th’ crew, Kameil!”

ΩΩΩ​

Gary, Silv, and Leaf had just arrived in Three Island. It was a somewhat small town, with a few buildings and shopping centers, plus the Pokémon Gym. To the east lay a path that led to the Berry Forest, their next destination.

“You…!” a balding, middle-aged man with brown hair and green eyes shouted, running up to Gary. He was clutching an ovular object (yellow with black stripes) to his chest.

“Huh?” said Gary, surprised by the man’s sudden appearance.

“You’re Gary Ketchum, right?” the man wheezed. “You are, aren’t’cha? I seen you on the news!”

“Y-yeah, that’s me,” said Gary nervously. The man thrust the object into Gary’s arms. Gary finally realized that the object was a Pokémon egg.

“Please, take this,” said the man. “You can have it, free of charge, if you do me one little favor! You came in second in the Kanto league, so I know you can do it!”

“What kind of favor is it?” asked Leaf.

“It’s my daughter, Lostelle,” the man explained. “She’s been missing for days! We’ve searched the whole island, but not a trace of her! Please, can you find her for me?”

“It’s going to be hard to find a missing person with no leads,” Silv pointed out.

“Oh, I have a lead,” said the man. “The only place we didn’t look was in the Berry Forest. It’s too dangerous for people without Pokémon, and the people who did have them were too scared to go in it because people say that it’s cursed.”

“Well, what are we waiting for?” said Leaf eagerly. “We were going to the forest anyway, why not help these poor people out at the same time?”

“You’re very brave,” said the man. “I’ll just hold this for you…” he took the egg from Gary, “until you get back.”

“Let’s start heading out,” said Gary. “I mean, we haven’t got all day.”

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Next Time: Gary, Leaf, and Silv enter the Berry Forest! Can they find the third clue and Lostelle? And what else will they encounter there? Plus, Nero Julian returns, and Brendan himself arrives on Three Island…

See what happens in Chapter 10: “Secrets of the Berry Forest! The Third Clue is Found!”​

Brendan is too overprotective. But soon he will no doubt join a resurgent Team Galactic devoted to the protection of the spirit between father and daughter.

Also, something's still off about Drew. What ever it is, it just bugs me.

7002543d3b71686m3.jpg

“This place is like a maze,” Gary noted as he stepped into the forest. Huge trees with yellow leaves loomed overhead, and berries of all different kinds littered the ground, which is what probably gave the forest its name: the Berry Forest.

“Let’s get to finding Lostelle,” said Leaf.

“And the third clue,” Silv added.

Gary nodded. “Let’s get moving, guys. The sooner we find those things, the better.”

They began navigating their way through the thick brush.

ΩΩΩ​

The crew had been traveling for ten weeks. At last, they had reached the final island in the chain. The crewmen were tired and hungry, but were relieved to know that the trip was halfway over.

Jaz Erummo drew his saber and stuck it into the ground.

“Well done, lads!” he said. “We’ve reached the final island! It’s been a long, arduous journey, but now we’re finally halfway done! He cleared his throat. “Now, I have a very important announcement to make. It’s no fun for others to explore a place that’s already been explored if there’s no reward to it, am I right? That’s why we’re leaving most of our treasure here for future explorers to find! We’ll…”

“Bastard!” the helmsman suddenly shouted. He drew his sword and charged at a startled Erummo. Jaz barely had time to retrieve his blade and block the helmsman’s strike.

“What in blazes are you doing?!” he bellowed at the mutinying crewman.

“I needed my share of that treasure!” the helmsman cried. “My sister back home has a terrible illness! With that money, I would finally be able to afford the medicine to treat it! But since you’ve decided to dump most of the treasure here, I’ll never be able to! I’m sorry to have to do this, but it’s the only way that my sister will be able to continue living!”

“Crewman, you didn’t let me finish my speech! If you had, you’d know that…”

“Enough talking!” the helmsman yelled. “Goodbye, cap’n!” He swung again, and was blocked by the captain.

Some of the other crewmen stepped forward to try and break up the fight, but Jaz said “no! It’s no use trying to stop this fight! The helmsman has chosen his fate!” With a mighty cleave, he struck the helmsman down. “Foolish boy,” he said, looking down at the body. “Surely you realized that you couldn’t win. And if you’d had let me finish my speech, ye’d have known that we were going to refill the lode when we returned to Kameil’s island. Ye’d needn’t have wasted your life.” He looked at his crew. “Well, what’re you waitin’ for?” he said gruffly. “Start unloadin’ the treasure!”

ΩΩΩ​

“Guys! I think I hear someone crying!” Gary said. He and his companions listened closely. Sure enough, they could hear the sounds sniffling and hyperventilation coming from behind a nearby clump of bushes. They went through the bushes and found a little girl curled on the ground, whimpering. Behind her stood a stone slab with writing engraved in it.

“Two birds with one stone, it seems,” Silv noted.

Leaf bent down and touched the girl on the shoulder. “Hello,” she said to the girl, “my name is Leaf. What’s yours?”

The girl looked up and sniffled. “L-Lostelle,” she stammered.

“Why are you here, Lostelle?” Leaf asked kindly. “Your friends are getting worried about you.”

“I was w-wondering what was in this forest,” said Lostelle, “so I went in it. B-but then a scary Pokémon attacked me and brought me here. I was too scared to run away.”

“What kind of Pokémon was it?” asked Gary.

“Th-THAT kind!” Lostelle shrieked, pointing behind Gary, Leaf, and Silv. They all whirled around to see a tall Pokémon with yellow skin and a monkey-like face. It had a white mane and held a sort of disc attached to a string.
Silv took out Pokédex.

“Hypno,” it said, “the Hypnosis Pokémon. When Hypno is very hungry, it will put people to sleep and eat their dreams. There was once a case of a Hypno putting a child to sleep and abducting it.”

“Keep it awayyyyyy!” Lostelle screamed.

“I’ll handle this,” said Leaf, stepping forward. She unclipped a Poké Ball from the holding strap on her bag and threw it. “Flareon, I choose you!”

The red-and-yellow foxlike Pokémon burst from the Poké Ball and growled at Hypno.

“Hyyyyypnoooooo,” Hypno said slowly.

“Shadow Ball, Flareon!” ordered Leaf.

Flareon blasted a black sphere of energy at Hypno. The attack caused the yellow Psychic-type to stumble back. It regained its balance and prepared for an attack. The top part of its head glowed blue and it launched itself at Flareon, colliding with Leaf’s Pokémon and knocking Flareon back.

“That’s Zen Headbutt,” said Silv, identifying the attack.

“Now, Flareon!” Leaf cried. “Use Bite!”

Flareon jumped at Hypno and bit down hard. Hypno cried out in
pain.

“Let’s finish this,” said Leaf. “Flareon…”

“No need,” said Silv. He took out a Poké Ball of his own and threw it. The Ball sucked Hypno in and closed. It shook a few times and then stopped. The Hypno had been captured.

“Why would you even want to catch that thing?” Leaf asked in a disgusted tone of voice.

“Hypno are effective Psychic-type Pokémon,” Silv answered. “This one just has to learn some manners.” He turned to the stone slab. “Now, let’s see what this has to tell us.”

“Thanks for helping me,” said Lostelle to Gary and Leaf.
Gary smiled. “It’s no problem at all,” he told her.

“All right,” said Silv. “According to this, the penultimate clue is located in Four Island’s Ice Cave. That should be our next destination.”

“After my third Gym,” Gary reminded him.

Silv nodded. “After that. We should start heading out of this forest so that we can do that.”

ΩΩΩ​

Brendan sprinted towards the Berry Forest. The man he had talked to after arriving on Three Island had been very helpful. When Brendan had described Leaf to him, the man had instantly recognized her as “that kind girl who was helping look for Lostelle in the Berry Forest.” Brendan was rushing to the forest as quickly as he could. At last, he’d be reunited with his daughter.

The three companions did not notice Brendan as they emerged from the forest with lostelle in tow. Leaf was the first to see him, and she gasped when she did.

“Sweetie,” Brendan said to her, panting to catch his breath. “Long time, no see.”

//////////////////////////////////////////

Next Time: Brendan’s finally caught up with his daughter, and he wants her back! But Gary isn’t ready to let Leaf go without a fight! See what happens in chapter 11: “Shock! Brendan’s Ultimatum!”​

Brendan! You took long enough!

Great chapter. Loved the Hypno Pokedex entry, Pervy Hypno lol

And....Brenden! I enjoyed this chapter Jabber. I might suggest less 'telling' more 'showing' but otherwise it's an amazing story. Eagerly awaiting chapter 11!

Is Brendan good, bad, or simply misguided? Because right now I like him less than Nero. Kind of like Umbridge and Voldemort from Harry Potter.

42958365293.jpg

“Leaf?” Gary asked hesitantly, regarding Brendan. “Who is this?”

Leaf gulped. “This…” she said, “is my father. Meet Brendan Birch.”

Gary’s jaw dropped. “Your dad?!” he exclaimed.

Brendan nodded. “That’s right,” he confirmed. He looked at Leaf. “It’s taken two years,” he said to her, “but now I’ve finally found you again. And now it’s time for you to stop running away and come home with me.” Leaf's face fell. “Come along,” he said to her. He turned and began to walk away. Gary noticed tears starting to form in the corners of Leaf’s eyes.

“Hold on,” he said to Brendan. “I don’t think Leaf really wants to come with you. You shouldn’t force her to do something she doesn’t want to do!”

Brendan whipped around and glared at Gary. “I am her father,” he said. “I know what’s best for her. Who are you to tell me that I don’t?”

“My name is Gary Ketchum,” said Gary. “I’m Leaf’s friend, and I won’t let you take her if she doesn’t want to go! I challenge you to a Pokémon Battle! If you win, you can take Leaf. But if I win, then Leaf gets to keep traveling with me.”

Brendan laughed. “You honestly think you can beat me?!” he said. “I’m the Hoenn Champion! But fine. You and I will battle to decide who Leaf stays with!”

Gary nodded. “But first…” he looked down at Lostelle. “I need to get this little girl to her father.”

Brendan’s eyebrow rose. “You’ve… got good priorities, I’ll give you that,” he said to Gary. “All right. Get the girl home, then we’ll battle in the center of town.”

They walked into Three Island Town. The man Gary, leaf, and Silv had talked to earlier rushed up to them. He still had the egg, now in a cylindrical container that had a Poké Ball attached to its top.

“Lostelle!” he shouted joyfully, embracing the young girl. He looked at Gary, tears in his eyes. “Thank you so much for saving my daughter! As promised, here is your Pokémon egg!” he thrust the capsule into Gary’s hands.

The corners of Brendan’s mouth turned up slightly. “Well, we’d better get on with the battle,” he said. Gary nodded.

“Hold this,” Gary said to Silv, handing his friend the capsule.

The group walked to the center of town. Gary and Brendan squared off on opposite sides of a patch of field in town square. They each unclipped a Poké Ball from their belts.

Leaf bit her lip and crossed her fingers. Please, she thought. Please let Gary win.

“How about a full battle?” Brendan suggested.

“Don’t do it, Gary!” Leaf yelled. But Gary shook his head.

“You’re on,” he said to Brendan.

Leaf hung her head. “That idiot,” she muttered.

“Let’s start this!” Brendan shouted. “Go, Swampert!”

A large, blue Pokémon with a white underbelly, orange whiskers, and a dark blue tailfin appeared. It reared up on its hind legs and roared out its name: “Swaaaaaampert!”

“You can do this!” Gary cried, throwing his Poké Ball. “Venasaur, I choose you!”

Venasaur burst from its ball and roared back at Swampert.

“This is a good match-up for Gary,” said Silv. “Venasaur’s Grass typing gives it the advantage over Swampert’s Water-and-Ground typing.”

“Well, that’s good, at least,” said Leaf with a small smile.

“Let’s end this quick, Venasaur,” Gary told his Pokémon. “Use Frenzy Plant!”

“Frenzy Plant!” laughed Silv. “Now there’s a powerful move!”

Venasaur stomped on the ground. Huge, thorned roots sprang up from underneath Swampert and wrapped around the Water-type. The roots flung Swampert around, finally smashing it into the ground. However, even after all of that abuse, Swampert still managed to get up.

“Let this be a lesson to you,” Brendan lectured. “Power alone is not enough! Frenzy Plant could have easily beaten my Swampert… if you had simply waited and weakened it a bit first! But you were rash, and jumped straight into your most powerful move! Now, you’ll pay the price! Frenzy Plant requires your Pokémon to rest on the next turn, leaving me with enough time to finish Venasaur off. Ice Punch, Swampert!”

Swampert’s left arm glowed a bluish-white. It curled its hand into a fist and punched Venasaur between the eyes. Venasaur struggled to move, but Frenzy Plant had left it too exhausted to even defend itself.

“Now, take advantage of that resting period, Swampert,” Brendan urged, “and take Venasaur out with Ice Punch again!”

Swampert repeated its attack, this time knocking Gary’s Pokémon out.

Gary grimaced and recalled Venasaur. He selected his next Pokémon. “Aerodactyl, come on out!” he yelled. “Use Hyper Beam!”

Aerodactyl emerged from its Poké Ball. It opened its maw wide and an orb of yellow energy formed. The orb grew in size and rocketed out of Aerodactyl’s mouth as a destructive beam. The beam struck Swampert and at last knocked the Mud Fish Pokémon put.

Leaf cheered. “Great going, Gary!” she smiled.

Gary grinned. “Still confident that you can beat me?” he asked Brendan. The Hoenn Champion rolled his eyes.

“Of course I am,” he replied. “Like Frenzy Plant, Giga Impact requires a rest – something I am fully ready to exploit. Milotic, it’s your turn!”

Brendan released an elegant, snakelike Pokémon from his Poké Ball.

“Mooooooohhhhhh,” it sang.

“Milotic, use Ice Beam!” Brendan ordered. Milotic shot a beam of bluish-white energy at Aerodactly, felling Gary’s Pokémon.

From there, things simply went downhill. Milotic was unstoppable, taking down each member of Gary’s team with ease. Dragonite, Crobat, Kabuto, and Fearow; one by one they all fell.

Finally, the battle was over. Gary had lost.

Leaf began to cry. Gary dropped to his knees, tears stinging his eyes. “I… I lost…” he mumbled. He looked at Leaf. “I’m sorry, Leaf,” he said. “I… failed you.”

Brendan walked over to his daughter. “Come along, dear,’ he said. “It’s time to go. My Seagallop ferry is waiting for us at the docks.”

ΩΩΩ​

“I’ll miss you,” Leaf sobbed, giving Gary a deep hug.

“Yeah,” Gary agreed, “I’ll miss you too.” He gave a small glare to Brendan.

“See you later,” said Leaf sadly. She turned to her father. “I’m ready to go,” she said.

Brendan sighed. “Look, Leaf…” he began, “I’ve been too hard on you. I’ve been overprotective of you.”

“What are you saying?” she asked him, puzzled.

“What I’m saying is, you can stay,” said Brendan. “I’m sure Gary can look after you. He does seem to put the right thing to do at the top of his priorities.”

Leaf gave a shout of joy. “Thank you!” she exclaimed, hugging Brendan. “You have no idea how much this means to me! I…” she looked back to see Gary giving a huge grin. “I can’t thank you enough.”

Brendan smiled. “Just promise to visit me sometimes, okay?”

“I promise!” she said.

Brendan looked at Gary. “Keep my daughter safe,” he ordered the young Trainer. “I you slip up, and we battle again… well, I won’t be so kind next time I win.”

“I promise,” Gary said with a salute.

Brendan climbed into his Seagallop ferry. “See you!” he called out as the boat sped away.

“Well, I guess he isn’t so bad after – OOF!” Gary was interrupted by Leaf embracing him in another hug. He blushed. “Uh, Leaf, you can let go now,” he chuckled.

“Oh, right.” She released him.

Silv stepped forward. “Not to interrupt the moment…” he began, “but don’t you still have a Gym to challenge?”

Gary’sexpression became more serious. “That’s right,” he said.
“Let’s get to that.”

///////////////////////////////////////////////

Next Time: Gary battles for his third badge! But the Gym Leader is hiding a shocking secret! Find out what it is in chapter 12: “Third Gym! The Leader is Q!”​

Interesting ad good, but wouldn't Swampert be Brendan's most powerful pokemon? Being his Starter and all?

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom